03/21/07 02:09 AM
03/21/07 02:09 AM
A Trailer Park
Shade Offline OP
CoS Witch
Shade  Offline OP
CoS Witch

A Trailer Park
Now this is TRULY AWESOME!! How many of you have seen the Grand Canyon?

Tribe opens Grand Canyon Skywalk
Former astronauts, Hualapai leaders take ‘magnificent first walk’
The Associated Press
Updated: 5:36 p.m. PT March 20, 2007
HUALAPAI INDIAN RESERVATION, Arizona - Indian leaders and former astronauts stepped gingerly beyond the Grand Canyon’s rim Tuesday, staring through the glass floor and into the 4,000-foot chasm below during the opening ceremony for a new observation deck.

A few members of the Hualapai Indian Tribe, which allowed the Grand Canyon Skywalk to be built, hopped up and down on the horseshoe-shaped structure. At its edge — 70 feet beyond the rim — the group peeked over the glass wall.

“I can hear the glass cracking!” Hualapai Chairman Charlie Vaughn said playfully.

The deck is anchored deep into a limestone cliff. As people walk across it, the glass layers creak and the deck wobbles almost imperceptibly. To one side, the Colorado river appears as a slim, pea-green ribbon. To the other is a triangular dip in the canyon’s ridge, known as “Eagle Point” because it looks like a bird with outstretched wings.

When the wind blows, only the most daring visitors resist grabbing the steel rail to steady their knees.

Former astronaut Buzz Aldrin, who was invited to join the tribe along with former astronaut John Herrington, declared it a “magnificent first walk.”

“It felt wonderful; not exactly like floating on air,” Aldrin said after stepping off the deck.

The Hualapai, whose reservation is about 90 miles west of Grand Canyon National Park, allowed Las Vegas developer David Jin to build the $30 million Skywalk in hopes of creating a unique attraction on their section of the canyon.

“To me, I believe this is going to help us. We don’t get any help from the outside, so, why not?” said Dallas Quasula Sr., 74, a tribal elder who was at the Skywalk. “This is going to be our bread and butter.”

The tribe will include access to the deck in a variety of tour packages ranging from $49.95 to $199.00. They’ll allow up to 120 people at a time to look down to the canyon floor more than 4,000 feet below, a vantage point more than twice as high as the world’s tallest buildings.

The Skywalk is scheduled to open to the public March 28.

To reach the transparent deck, tourists must drive drive 14 miles on twisty, unpaved roads. But the tribe hopes it becomes the centerpiece of a budding tourism industry that includes helicopter tours, river rafting, a cowboy town and a museum of Indian replica homes.

Robert Bravo Jr., operations manager of the Hualapai tourist attractions called Grand Canyon West, said he hopes the Skywalk will double tourist traffic to the reservation this year, from about 300,000 visitors to about 600,000.

Architect Mark Johnson said the Skywalk can support the weight of a few hundred people and will withstand wind up to 100 mph. The observation deck has a 3-inch-thick glass bottom and has been equipped with shock absorbers to keep it from bouncing like a diving board as people walk on it.

The Skywalk has sparked debate on and off the reservation. Many Hualapai (pronounced WALL-uh-pie) worry about disturbing nearby burial sites, and environmentalists have blamed the tribe for transforming the majestic canyon into a tourist trap.

Hualapai leaders say they weighed those concerns for years before agreeing to build the Skywalk. With a third of the tribe’s 2,200 members living in poverty, the tribal government decided it needs the tourism dollars.

Dolores Honga, 71, a tribal elder, said she used to ride horses around what used to be a remote patch of grassland. Her grandparents once herded cattle out here.

“I still don’t agree with what’s going on here,” Honga said. “There’s so many memories here. This was my playground.”

Jin fronted the money to build the Skywalk, which took two years to construct. According to the tribe, Jin will give it to the Hualapai in exchange for a cut of the profits.

“The terms are confidential, but David will profit for the next 25 years from the Skywalk,” said Steve Beattie, chief financial officer of the Grand Canyon Resort Corp., which oversees the tribe’s tourist businesses.

"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People
Re: Grand Canyon Skywalk [Re: Shade] #229323
03/21/07 02:53 AM
03/21/07 02:53 AM
Connecticut, USA
Incubus Offline
Incubus  Offline

Connecticut, USA
I first saw the Grand Canyon from the air, at an altitude of about 30,000 feet. When I saw it for the first time on the ground I was amazed at how the perspective and distances were about the same. It's so huge that it appears almost the same from the ground as it does from the air. It completely fills up your field of vision.

Years ago my friend and I hiked about a mile down (not even close to the bottom) and then back up. It's a hard workout, and you have to watch your step because the ledge can get very narrow, and it's a LONG and bumpy fall to the bottom.

That skywalk looks amazing, though. I wish it had been up and running when I was there.

"The might of aithêr chases it into the sea, sea spits it out onto solid ground, earth spits it up into rays of the radiant sun and sun hurls it into the whirlpools of aithêr. One receives it from another, then another from another, and they all hate it. This is the way that I too am now going, an exile from the gods and a wanderer, placing my trust in mad Strife."

-Empedocles (c.490 - 430 BCE)

Re: Grand Canyon Skywalk [Re: Incubus] #229324
03/21/07 03:02 AM
03/21/07 03:02 AM
A Trailer Park
Shade Offline OP
CoS Witch
Shade  Offline OP
CoS Witch

A Trailer Park
Quote:

That skywalk looks amazing, though. I wish it had been up and running when I was there.

I agree! This will make my return trip even better!

I first saw the Grand Canyon on a cross country trip my parents took my sister and I on for our highschool graduation present. We got there late, the sun was just dipping down, and the most awe-inspiring breath-taking sunset ripped across the sky. The sky was on fire. I could smell the heat in the air. It stained my skin. Sinking into such an equally awe-inspiring, monumental site..it was one of those few moments in my life when everything got quiet.

I will never....Ever... forget.

"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

Re: Grand Canyon Skywalk [Re: Shade] #229325
03/21/07 04:04 AM
03/21/07 04:04 AM
HellofallHells Offline
CoS Warlock
HellofallHells  Offline
CoS Warlock

I saw the Grand Canyon in 2004 when I was in Arizona. It was a great experience and an awesome sight. I also saw it from the air on my way to L.A. for a certain event.

I would love to walk on that thing but admission is a little steep.

Re: Grand Canyon Skywalk [Re: Shade] #229326
03/21/07 04:10 AM
03/21/07 04:10 AM
Amarillo, TX
Tex_Talionis Offline
CoS Member
Tex_Talionis  Offline
CoS Member

Amarillo, TX
I had the chance to visit the Grand Canyon once when I was younger with family but my brother got ill so we didn't make it. This definitely looks like a reason to return, with my children even.

-Hail Satan-
-Tex-
MySpace
Citizen Infernal Empire
Test Everything.

"We live in deeds not years.
You can be what you will to be."
-General George S. Patton

"The things that come to those who wait may be things left by those who got there first!"
Re: Grand Canyon Skywalk [Re: HellofallHells] #229327
03/21/07 04:28 AM
03/21/07 04:28 AM
1313 Mockingbird Lane
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member
Evil_Eve  Offline
CoS Member

1313 Mockingbird Lane
Quote:

I would love to walk on that thing but admission is a little steep.

I have visited several times and of course, have flown over it too many times to count. It's spectacular from air or ground.

I'll have to visit again Me thinks!

Satan LIVES!
If you could....would YOU?

"Our religion does not require martyrs."
Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.
YOU can be a voice for the voiceless.

Re: Grand Canyon Skywalk [Re: Shade] #229328
03/21/07 05:09 AM
03/21/07 05:09 AM
Honolulu, HI
Bloodfire Offline

CoS Warlock
Bloodfire  Offline

CoS Warlock

Honolulu, HI
I haven't yet been so lucky as to visit it, but there's just some about man-made edifaces--or any structure--not held up by a post which sort of creeps me out a little. I'm not one to put myself willingly into a situation wherein I might fall to my death.

However, I can see how such beauty allures!

I will visit one day soon, but I doubt I'll stand on that rail of a bridge for very long, if I chose to at all.

In Blood and Fire! tiki

Bloodfire9.com | Bloodfire! Store - Satanic-themed Merchandise
TheQuintessentials.com - Satanic Horror Punk Rock
Other places to find The Quintessentials:
MySpace | Facebook | Twitter | Undercroft | YouTube | ReverbNation
Re: Grand Canyon Skywalk [Re: Bloodfire] #229329
03/21/07 09:34 AM
03/21/07 09:34 AM
SinCity
DarkWater Offline
CoS Member
DarkWater  Offline
CoS Member

SinCity
Warlock, it might not be as spooky as you think. I am not a fan of heights...or of death. But when the heights are great, my fear/uneasiness vanishes. I recently took my first ride in a helicopter. I sat in the front with the pilot, my feet resting on a glass bottomed floor, and I loved every second of the ride. We flew at 1200', and it was nothing but beautiful.

However, put me on top of a 15' ladder, and I want to get down!

The new overlook is more than 4000' above the canyon floor. From there, I suspect it's specularly beautiful. Not spooky at all. Not one bit.

Unless, of course, I'm dead wrong.

DarkWater

Re: Grand Canyon Skywalk [Re: DarkWater] #229330
03/21/07 10:39 AM
03/21/07 10:39 AM
1313 Mockingbird Lane
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member
Evil_Eve  Offline
CoS Member

1313 Mockingbird Lane
Quote:

But when the heights are great, my fear/uneasiness vanishes. I recently took my first ride in a helicopter. I sat in the front with the pilot, my feet resting on a glass bottomed floor, and I loved every second of the ride. We flew at 1200', and it was nothing but beautiful.

A now for a little known Aviation fact:

Many pilots both commercial/non commercial have a 'fear of heights'.

Satan LIVES!

Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.

Re: Grand Canyon Skywalk [Re: Shade] #229331
03/21/07 11:27 AM
03/21/07 11:27 AM
Virginia
dragondancer Offline

CoS Member
dragondancer  Offline

CoS Member

Virginia
I visited the Grand Canyons in 1991 with my then 12 year old daughter. What struck me was that I had seen it many times in pictures and movies, but the real thing was just so breath-taking.

I am not a big fan of man-made objects jutting out into such natural beauty. I understand how the Indian tribe could agree to doing such a thing, but I still think it takes away from the natural setting.

Hail Satan!

"It does take an exceptional mind and a still more exceptional integrity to remain untouched by the brain-destroying influences of the world's doctrines, the accumulated evil of the centuries-to remain human, since the human is the rational." Dr. Akston in Atlas Shrugged

"Not life, but good life, is to be chiefly valued." Socrates

Dragondancer
Temple of Vampire

Re: Grand Canyon Skywalk [Re: dragondancer] #229332
03/21/07 11:39 AM
03/21/07 11:39 AM
A Trailer Park
Shade Offline OP
CoS Witch
Shade  Offline OP
CoS Witch

A Trailer Park
Quote:

I am not a big fan of man-made objects jutting out into such natural beauty. I understand how the Indian tribe could agree to doing such a thing, but I still think it takes away from the natural setting.

Hail Satan!

I know what you mean. That was a tough one for me as well, especially cause I have been there already too. What pulled the rug out from underneath me was the shear "wow" factor - 4000 THOUSAND feet down? There is a bridge here in Washington... called Deception Pass (of all things) which I could not bring myself, ironically, to walk on.... It has a drop off view like what is described of the new canyon walk.

If ever a place deserved the title "grand".... you know?

Re: Grand Canyon Skywalk [Re: Shade] #229333
03/22/07 10:05 PM
03/22/07 10:05 PM
Wisconsin
Blackened_Son Offline
Blackened_Son  Offline

Wisconsin
I've been there once when I was a teenager, and it had to be one of the most amasing things I've ever seen..About the glass thing is it wrong that I would find it funny if it broke?

"There are many would take my time. I shun them
There are some who would share my time. I am entertaned by them
There are precious few who contribute to my time. I cherish them"
Dr.Anton Szandor LaVey
Re: Grand Canyon Skywalk [Re: Shade] #229334
03/23/07 02:05 AM
03/23/07 02:05 AM
Portugal
leonor Offline
leonor  Offline

Portugal
Unfortunately not. Except on Google Earth of course. I "travelled" through the different canyons once or twice. Call me crazy. It's so beautiful.
Maybe some day I'll see the giant.

october1560

Time does not imply evolution. Very true. We are stepping back. One generates haunting monsters that generate haunting monsters on an endless spiral of misunderstanding, unsolved needs, moral amulets eradicating both the sickness and the cure.
I see a bunch of men raging at the void, haunted by their own inventions. Absurd. Totally absurd.
Re: Grand Canyon Skywalk [Re: leonor] #229335
03/23/07 02:11 AM
03/23/07 02:11 AM
A Trailer Park
Shade Offline OP
CoS Witch
Shade  Offline OP
CoS Witch

A Trailer Park
I've done that too! I love Google Earth. I could see the cars in my driveway at my old house. Kind of creepy when you think about. "Look up and smile at the satellite camera!"

Re: Grand Canyon Skywalk [Re: Blackened_Son] #229336
03/23/07 06:45 AM
03/23/07 06:45 AM
1313 Mockingbird Lane
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member
Evil_Eve  Offline
CoS Member

1313 Mockingbird Lane
Quote:

I've been there once when I was a teenager, and it had to be one of the most amasing things I've ever seen..About the glass thing is it wrong that I would find it funny if it broke?

Only if you were the only one standing on it when it happened....

Satan LIVES!

Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics43,731
Posts401,432
Members13,392
Most Online227
Sep 17th, 2018
Advertisements

hold
Page Time: 0.036s Queries: 15 (0.029s) Memory: 1.1087 MB (Peak: 1.3166 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2018-12-10 05:28:27 UTC