Re: How open are you about Your beliefs? [Re: Felltyde] #497746
11/08/14 08:29 AM
11/08/14 08:29 AM
Dark Passenger Offline
Banned
Dark Passenger  Offline
Banned

Originally Posted By: Felltyde
I only use the "label" with people I'm at ease with.

There IS something pretty great about having people you can be completely genuine with and not have to be concerned with misinterpretation or the like. For all my counter-culture, it DOES feel good once in a while.

Its really made for a great discussion site here. The COS survived just fine for decades without it, but the moral support of gathering with like-minded Satanists once in a while sure is good for the heart! Especially Magus Gilmore and Magister Nemo's sunny dispositions...

I'm going to leave it at that before I end up starting a group-hug and someone reaches for the massage oil.

grin

I think I will go ahead and indulge in a dancing devil chili, though. They're so cool, and I don't get to use them in context nearly enough.

devilchili

Last edited by Dark Passenger; 11/08/14 08:29 AM.

LIBERTVS A VOLGI TYRANNIDE
Re: How open are you about Your beliefs? [Re: Dark Passenger] #497748
11/08/14 01:53 PM
11/08/14 01:53 PM
Center of my own Universe
Janina Offline
CoS Member
Janina  Offline
CoS Member

Center of my own Universe
My membership on Church of Satan is my private concern. I am not in closet the way I would scare somebody to find out something.

Neither feel I any interest in advertising my membership.

It just is like it is, my personal thing. smile

Re: How open are you about Your beliefs? [Re: Felltyde] #497751
11/08/14 05:59 PM
11/08/14 05:59 PM
Long Island, NY
Llamabagel Offline
Llamabagel  Offline

Long Island, NY
I'll talk about my beliefs to anyone who asks about them or who is interested in the topic of Satanism.

Its funny, I was on a public bus once and I was reading the Satanic Bible, and this old man sitting across from me was staring at me and the book, until he finally said "I read that". I asked if he was a Satanist too and he slowly shook his head no. He proceeded to tell me that I "didn't get it", and said all this stuff about Jesus, and how Satan loses in the Christian bible, and how he'd seen satanists sacrifice animals. I tried reasoning with him, but to no avail. The bus driver, however, overheard our conversation and seemed interested in Satanism, which I told him about happily. There was a Christian woman sitting next to me who seemed scared of what we were talking about, but she didn't say anything mean to me, which is appreciated.

As I was getting off the bus the driver asked me, "Lets say you're really sick, and you feel the end coming. Who do you call upon for help?" I said, "A doctor." and walked off the bus.

Maybe explaining Satanism to them was kinda stupid, since I could have gotten harassed by others on the bus for my religion. Luckily, though, I didn't.

But all in all, I'm not ashamed of my beliefs and will discuss them to anyone who is interested, and/or if the subject comes up in conversation.

*~Sincerely, Miss Zero Llamabagel~*
Re: How open are you about Your beliefs? [Re: Dark Passenger] #497754
11/08/14 11:33 PM
11/08/14 11:33 PM
Arizona
Citizen_Horror Offline
CoS Member
Citizen_Horror  Offline
CoS Member

Arizona
Originally Posted By: Dark Passenger
Originally Posted By: L'Horreur
I'm more than open about them when questioned by an interested party. Why wouldn't I be?

Its not for me to tell anyone what's what, but since you ask...

Because "an interested party" might hear nothing past the word "Satan," believe nothing you say, see you as a threat, and after reporting you to the local preacher and making plans with his church people, start on a coordinated mission to destroy your life.

That's one reason.

You misunderstand my response.

Nowhere in my original post do I say "Satanist". Or "Satanism". Or "Satan".

Being open with my beliefs does not entail saying "I am a Satanist". I don't believe I'm a Satanist, I know I am an individual who practices Satanism all the time. That particular response would be better suited for a question like "if you had to label yourself in religious terms, what would you choose?". And even then I would respond Atheist. Which is true; Satanism is an atheistic school of thought, and atheism is less threatening to the herd than Satanism.

Being open in my beliefs entails doing exactly what I did in my original post: stating my beliefs with 100% honesty. Labeling myself assumes that other people know the fundamentals of Satanic thought, and becomes problematic when they invariably don't.

Being open in my beliefs allows for the organic growth of the self.

Self-labeling inhibits growth. It's a means of becoming one thing, and losing the ability to become anything that isn't associated with that one thing.

Nowhere in the Satanic Bible is there a rule that someone who identifies with Satanism is required to assume the label. That is why the church is so secretive about its member's affiliations; it's so people who identify with the philosophy can practice it without fear of the personal and professional recrimination that labeling brings. I do not have to fear anyone coordinating a mission to destroy my life, because I have not presented them with a reason to do so on a silver platter.

Labels are like shackles of the identity. Ditching them is a means of liberation.

The exception would be for those individuals who are willing to accept the public label of Satanist, and are equally accepting of the consequences such a label brings. But that sort of choice is made by someone who views accepting the label as a positive and liberating instead of negative and inhibiting.

On Tuesday I stopped telling myself what I'm supposed to be and started focusing on what I am. This week has been both invigorating and liberating. Consider revisiting this thread and purchasing Magister Nemo's program Discovering the Satanic God.

In just the five days since I synthesized those two sources, I've found that being labeled stopped being a problem once I stopped telling myself and others to label me.

Re: How open are you about Your beliefs? [Re: Citizen_Horror] #497757
11/09/14 01:28 AM
11/09/14 01:28 AM
Eastern United States.
Felltyde Offline OP
Felltyde  Offline OP

Eastern United States.
I think for myself, I fall under "feeling liberated" by being some what open about this path. While I'm realistic about the reactions that may occur, I'm also confident in my ability to navigate whatever issues I may face.

"Labeling" in its base form cannot be avoided...white, black, young, old, even "my own god". The issues arise when you let the labels define you.

Being able to say to someone, "I'm a satanist" is empowering, liberating and so deliciously blasphamas....it brings me right back to what drew me to the works of Dr. LaVey in the first place.

We are all drawn to this path for different reasons and we all choose the best ways to use the tools presented.

Re: How open are you about Your beliefs? [Re: Felltyde] #497769
11/09/14 11:13 PM
11/09/14 11:13 PM
Sweden
Weax Offline
Weax  Offline

Sweden
I am open with my beliefs in different ways to different people. I might angle the truth to fit into a certain situation or group of people, but yes, most people around me know I'm a satanist, and if they don't know they very much suspect. I don't boast it, but when people ask they usually do so out of interest. People are generally open-minded and understanding here, and those who are not I'm generally not interested in befriending anyway.

- Witch Bitch
Re: How open are you about Your beliefs? [Re: Felltyde] #497779
11/10/14 06:18 PM
11/10/14 06:18 PM
Washington
Velvet Offline
Velvet  Offline

Washington
I used to be more open about it, but living in a small, predominantly Christian community, it was not well received. Everyone thinks it was "just a phase". I do talk about my beliefs, I just don't mention the "S" word. Satanism is pretty rational, so I've found if you just don't mention the true name, people will go with it. I mean, even the (white) pope has announced that evolution is real...

Re: How open are you about Your beliefs? [Re: Velvet] #497795
11/11/14 07:16 PM
11/11/14 07:16 PM
Eastern United States.
Felltyde Offline OP
Felltyde  Offline OP

Eastern United States.
Btw: my feelings about how one decides to comport themselves is much different then my opinion of the various "Satanic" organizations that are cropping up. I think that using our symbolism simply to make a point about political issues is a waste of time and counter productive. Being open as an organization will only draw the ire of our enemies. Being pragmatic is a key Satanic trait...these publicity stunts only serve to undermine the secretive nature of our path...there is power in being unknown, unseen, hard to define.

Re: How open are you about Your beliefs? [Re: Felltyde] #497796
11/12/14 05:08 AM
11/12/14 05:08 AM
de_Lioncourt Offline
CoS Member
de_Lioncourt  Offline
CoS Member

I have been very open.

That said it also has served me well as I own an occult bookstore.

[url=templeofthevampire.com]Are You One Of Us[/url]

Re: How open are you about Your beliefs? [Re: de_Lioncourt] #497867
11/26/14 04:23 AM
11/26/14 04:23 AM
Nothern Europe
Kernel Offline
Kernel  Offline

Nothern Europe
If someone asks, I'll happily tell them. Frankly, I've never met any scorn, multiple funny situations when overly religious people have turned the tables and I've gotten into a very stimulating conversation about Christianity and the subject of myself has drifted very much elsewhere.

If someone's honestly interested and asks some constructive questions, sure I can tell them a few facts about Satanism. I believe firmly that education is important and since they asked, who am I to deny them the knowledge, that didn't cost me anything at all? If they want to get any "deeper" than the very basics - No, we don't believe in the Christian Satan, no we don't advocate any kind of mistreatment of animals/children etc. - then I just direct them to the COS website and should they be a closer friend, might loan them a book or three.

After all, I don't much mind it if they happen to identify with something that's important to me, and if they have even the cursory knowledge, prosecution never becomes an issue in the first place.

Every time the topic of religion has come up, and I have replied honestly, there's never been scorn as said before, rather there's been fascination and child like glee almost, sometimes admiration, other times smiles and polite questions, sometimes just a shrug and the topic moves on. It seems that at least in my country, people have been very open about it.. Or I just know all the open minded people around.

"It's not what we were or what we will be, it is what we are now that makes all the difference and the potential we have at this moment to become even greater."
Re: How open are you about Your beliefs? [Re: Felltyde] #497868
11/26/14 07:44 AM
11/26/14 07:44 AM
California
Avaricious13 Offline
CoS Member
Avaricious13  Offline
CoS Member

California
I am actually very personal with my beliefs. Only three of my closest friends know I am a Satanist, but everyone else is purposely kept in the dark. No one in my family knows about my religion. This is for the best considering that so many of them are either Jehovah's Witnesses or Muslim.

Faith is believing what you know ain't so.

-Mark Twain
Re: How open are you about Your beliefs? [Re: Avaricious13] #497869
11/26/14 03:29 PM
11/26/14 03:29 PM
W
Waya Offline
CoS Member
Waya  Offline
CoS Member
W

When I see a topic like this surface on the board I can only think of one little clip from a great movie. wink

Church of Satan

"We are superior, and are superior not by ethnic means, but by the superior force of the will -- the imagination, the creativity, and the very essence of resourcefulness, and survival, that is the heart and the very soul of the Satanist."
~Anton LaVey

Re: How open are you about Your beliefs? [Re: Waya] #497875
11/28/14 08:03 PM
11/28/14 08:03 PM
Ecorse, Michigan
ZodRhombus Offline
ZodRhombus  Offline

Ecorse, Michigan
I'm very open about my beliefs. I don't flaunt it of course, after all I'm no braggart. If someone inquires about my religious choice I'll be direct about it. Besides, I have nothing to hide nor to be ashamed of. I am reluctant however to tell my grandparents, should they ever ask. Considering they are fiercely Christian, I don't want to hurt them or for them to think less of me.

Actually a number of people know about my choice and if anything have wanted to know more about it, which fills me with joy knowing they are tolerant and respectful of others differences.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -G. B. Shaw
Re: How open are you about Your beliefs? [Re: ZodRhombus] #497991
12/20/14 11:02 AM
12/20/14 11:02 AM
X
xiaonvren Offline
xiaonvren  Offline
X

what makes the most sense in your situation. Just be aware this cat's not going back in the bag once its out.

Re: How open are you about Your beliefs? [Re: Felltyde] #498087
01/09/15 11:52 PM
01/09/15 11:52 PM
Texas
Fnord Offline
Fnord  Offline

Texas
As with all things, discretion is key.

It depends who's asking and why.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Forum Statistics
Forums73
Topics44,553
Posts407,979
Members13,362
Most Online227
Sep 17th, 2018
Advertisements

hold
Page Time: 0.015s Queries: 15 (0.008s) Memory: 1.1122 MB (Peak: 1.3168 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2018-10-16 13:04:35 UTC