Topic Options
#100257 - 05/15/05 12:03 PM Medieval Magic
Happy Birthday Mallamun Offline

Friendly greetings to you all.

I am currently conducting a research project on magical traditions in the medieval ages. This subject was assigned to me, and I have barely been able to dip my toe in it thus far. Since I've noticed that most Satanic practitioners of magick like to stay well informed on the historical influences behind their doings, I thought this would be an excellent place to open the floor. If you post with anything useful, please specify if you would like to be cited, and if so, under what name I should cite you. (You would be cited as an internet interview).

Thank you all for any assistance you can lend me and good luck in your own pursuits.

~Mallamun

#100258 - 05/15/05 12:44 PM Re: Medieval Magic [Re: Mallamun]
fiftythirdspirit Offline

Hello. Specifically, what literature have you already read and what sources have you already accessed? --just so that I do not waste my/your time being repetitive on information you may have already obtained.

#100259 - 05/15/05 03:29 PM Re: Medieval Magic [Re: fiftythirdspirit]

I've just recently been assigned this subject, so I don't have an impressive list of sources thus far. The many websites I've visited merely state that "alchemy, astrology and the summoning of spirits" were popular medieval practices, though this is not very specific. Book-wise, I've begun reading some Arthurian legend, as I'm supposed to draw some parallels with Myrddin (sp?) and my findings, which I can handle on my own. In trying to find more about "alchemy, astrology, and the summoning of spirits", I've read into the occult side of alchemy and the meaning behind its older practices, but the book did not provide me with specific dates to nail when or where different perspectives on the philosophy came into play. Different library books tell me about nonsensical cults and such that lead up to the modern magical "scare", but most of that information is absolutely useless as it deals primarily with renegade Christians who were so starved for blasphemy that they engaged in elaborate, senseless rituals in no way related to any magical principles. Basically, any information is good. If you have a lot to share, Iíll just put my faith in your best judgment as to which information you feel is most important.

#100260 - 05/15/05 09:33 PM Re: Medieval Magic [Re: Mallamun]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

Try researching "Man, Myth and Magic" encyclopedic set, edited by Richard Cavendish.

#100261 - 05/15/05 11:42 PM Re: Medieval Magic [Re: Mallamun]
Cholinergic Offline
<B>CoS Member</B>

Loc: UK
As far as i'm aware most medieval magic in britain and europe was done in the judeo-christian paradigm. Then there were attempts to blaspheme christianity such as the black mass. It therefore seems to be an extension of catholic ritual with a few christianised pagan elements thrown in.

#100262 - 05/16/05 10:18 AM Re: Medieval Magic [Re: Mallamun]
fiftythirdspirit Offline

These books contain information and references to magic in the Middle Ages. I purposefully tried to find some that were not just blasphemed Judeo-Christian off-takes:

A Treasury of Witchcraft by Harry E. Wedeck. Dates, names, references, and supposed "actual" records, spells, etc., that include the 15th century (before and after). Necromancy is included.

The Book of Legendary Spells by Elbee Wright. I do not know how "credible" these spells are but it is a very interesting read that includes spellwork, amulets, etc., including Medieval.

Eros and Evil by R. E. L. Masters. Interesting romp through history on the sexual psychopathology of witchcraft with many notes and bibliography that may be of interest in your search. Also, dates and names.

An Encyclopaedia of Occultism by Lewis Spence. Some fun woodcuts (well, I think they are fun) of Medieval demons, occultists, and mystical diagrams. A section on Medieval magic, necromancy, and the other things you mentioned.

Witches and Witchcraft by Rosemary Ellen Guiley. General, but contains some helpful information on witchcraft in the Middle Ages.

The Old English Herbals by Eleanour Sinclair Rohde. In part, information on the use of herbs in magic in the Middle Ages.

Enter "infernal necromancy" on your search function for the old stuff.

Good luck.

#100263 - 05/16/05 07:50 PM Re: Medieval Magic [Re: fiftythirdspirit]

Thank you very much--that will keep me busy for a while!!!

Forum Stats
13268 Members
73 Forums
44506 Topics
407689 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 04:49 AM
Advertisements

hold