Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#101083 - 05/28/05 12:08 PM Re: "offensive" language [Re: fiftythirdspirit]
man_mind Offline
Banned

Fudge face. I agree with two things so far. 1. Words aren't ofensive, people are. 2. The only people who are offended by sounds, are insecure about themselves. (Read ASL on Humor.)

"A priest is one who harbors the ill and gives them faith because they fear death and they are weak."

#101084 - 05/28/05 12:14 PM Re: I will tell you how. [Re: Discipline]
man_mind Offline
Banned

--- Sure they are just words and nothing more

They are more. Overall, words can be implications, of, say, (as you pointed out) intelligence. Inarticulate people really do have a small vocabulary. The smarter caveman invented a wheel. The others juyst made wicked sounds and banged on tree's. = Intelligent men in the 20th century wrote books. The unintelligent ones decided that they could do nothing better than be a gunnery sgt and say fuck a lot. (No implication was intended when the title of gunnery was implicated.)

"A priest is one who harbors the ill and gives them faith because they fear death and they are weak."

#101085 - 05/28/05 12:23 PM Re: I will tell you how. [Re: TrojZyr]
man_mind Offline
Banned

I don't swear around my child, or other peoples children, for only one reason. "They" find it unacceptible, and so I don't want to be pinned as the bad guy for teaching their children something, "Wrong, evil or bad."

Language is language. The words were invented, and still being perfected, to express ones self. "We put emotions and actions in to words for a reason." It was pointed out, that a slip up or accident, like falling from a tree house, will result in someone expressing themselves with words like, "Oh shit, I just *weeze* fell out of that fucking tree house." when asked what happened. Or when they are asked if they are ok, "Fuck no, *cough* call an ambulance."

Personally I find it cute when my child expresses herself, after being nipped by her puppy, "Goddamn dog." Other people may not, but she means it when she says it, and you can hear the emotion in her tone. She doesn't go around all day fucking and damning everything just for the sake of saying goddamn or fuck, and there is the difference between her and most others who damn and fuck a certain incident.

I prefer she use her 'big girl words' and be articulate, also, it can show class and tact to watch your mouth.

There is the difference again. I don't expect a proffesional speech from my daughter when she gets nipped by her puppy. "Why puppy, I feel that what you have done was harmful to me. I did not like it very much, so please, try to contain your playfulness to a level which will not bring harm to me any longer. Ow." Not only will she be bitten another 50 times before she is finished, but "Goddamned dog" does just fine. At the right tone, the puppy usually stops nipping.

This is a dumb ass discussion. lol.

#101086 - 05/28/05 12:29 PM Re: I will tell you how. [Re: VKat]
man_mind Offline
Banned

I think that some people are too soft with their children. Example, "These are adult things, they aren't for kids." Such as driving.

When my 3 year old asked me to drive home, I told her no. She asked why, and so I told her I would show her why children can't drive when we get home. I popped in a VHS of Faces of Death where I child stole his pappys car, and walla! she understand why children cannot drive, or go near a road with cars moving for that matter.

I am very honest with my child. She understand life, and death, and has no problem with either.

"Daughter, you can't go near roads." "Why not?" "Look there. Do you see that big machine comming towards us?" "Yea." "Yea, well if you get in front of it, it will swuish you flat, and that will be the end of it." "Oh, ok. I want to stay near the house then."

Much better and doesn't leave room for, what I call, stupid curiosity later on. "They said don't feed the bears, but, "That is for adults" doesn't make any sense. I'll go see for myself then." If the child had been shown what would happen if someone small enough to get through bars in a bears den, there would be no issue or misunderstanding.

#101087 - 05/28/05 01:08 PM Re: I will tell you how. [Re: man_mind]
tovasshi Offline

Loc: Banana, Canada
Good job. My dad was the same way, he was honest. My mom bitched at him a lot for telling me the truth, but he simply just said I was going to learn it sooner than later.

For example, at the tender age of eight I was watching Beavis and Butthead with my dad and Beavis kept going on about being the great cornholeo. My dad was laughing but I didn't understand so I asked him what cornhole meant. That was the day I learned about anal sex.

#101088 - 05/29/05 01:41 AM Re: Really Offensive Language. [Re: Quaark]
bianca Offline

Loc: Right where I should be.
Quote:

Indeed!

My additions would be these forms of address, invariably from those half who are of half my age, one third my life experience, and one fourth my intelligence.

"Dude"
"Bro"
"Homes" or "Homie"

Well said. May I add the skin-crawling appellation "Dawg" to the pile of verbal compost?

#101089 - 05/29/05 08:43 AM Re: Really Offensive Language. [Re: Quaark]
Kaahi Offline

...people still use those words?

#101090 - 05/29/05 12:58 PM Re: Really Offensive Language. [Re: tovasshi]
oggi Offline

Loc: Finland
Somebody really start to talk about videogames? And keep talking, even after you show no intrest?

It that is problem, start to talk about your own hobbies. For example I could say:
"yeah, you know, I tried oi-tsuki -mae-geri -mawashi-geri -gyaku-tsuki - kubi-nage in fight, but well, you know how well gyaku-tsuki and kubi-nage work together so opponent saw my kubi-nage attempt and did mawashi-tsuki - harai-goshi and ended fight to lock 4"

If this someone who you are talking whit is closer to human than ape, he/she should be able see that you don't understand what he/she is talking about.

#101091 - 05/29/05 01:49 PM Re: Really Offensive Language. [Re: oggi]
tovasshi Offline

Trying to change the subject often doesn't for some of these people. All they know is video games so they will only talk about what they know. So I usually just keep at what I am doing and let them yak away while I think about bubbles and fluffy things.

A lot of guys don't take me seriously because I have good genetics. I tried having a conversation with one guy and I was interupted with "You are so damn beautiful." and then I left the table. There is nothing more offensive than to have an intelligent coversation interupted by a zit faced geek with a stiffy. The girls arn't all that much better, I am sick of hearing about shoes.
For once I would like to talk to someone about having a loose ferrule and not get a dirty look.

#101092 - 05/29/05 06:47 PM Re: "Dude". [Re: Quaark]
Mike_Hargis Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Bensalem, PA (Philly 'burbs)
Dude, are those of us who, like, started growing up in the '80's still allowed to use, "Dude?" Or would it still be, like, totally bogus?

www.myspace.com/satanist_in_pa
www.massagespace.net/Details/CMT-in-NE-Philly
www.brightfuse.com/mikehargis
www.facebook.com/people/Mike_Hargis/1381346496

#101093 - 05/29/05 06:53 PM Re: Really Offensive Language. [Re: tovasshi]
Mike_Hargis Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Bensalem, PA (Philly 'burbs)
Damn, you're cute! I'm sorry...what were you saying, again?

www.myspace.com/satanist_in_pa
www.massagespace.net/Details/CMT-in-NE-Philly
www.brightfuse.com/mikehargis
www.facebook.com/people/Mike_Hargis/1381346496

#101094 - 05/31/05 08:52 AM Re: Really Offensive Language. [Re: Mike_Hargis]
tovasshi Offline

Haha.

#101095 - 05/31/05 07:26 PM Re: Really Offensive Language. [Re: RandomStranger]
dragondancer Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Virginia
Along the same lines, the phrase that really gets me is when people say, "to be honest with you". You mean you weren't being honest before???

Hail Satan!
"It does take an exceptional mind and a still more exceptional integrity to remain untouched by the brain-destroying influences of the world's doctrines, the accumulated evil of the centuries-to remain human, since the human is the rational." Dr. Akston in Atlas Shrugged

"Not life, but good life, is to be chiefly valued." Socrates

Dragondancer
Temple of Vampire

#101096 - 05/31/05 11:21 PM Re: Really Offensive Language. [Re: MagdaGraham]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.
You're very welcome.

The way people convey their thoughts verbally (those who are
able to, that is) says quite a bit about themselves, even if they
aren't talking directly themselves

It is also another good mechanism to sort one's self out