#101098 - 06/01/05 03:36 PM Re: Really Offensive Language. [Re: dragondancer]
tovasshi Offline

Loc: Banana, Canada
"Don't take this the wrong way..." "No offense but..."

#101099 - 06/01/05 04:18 PM Re: Really Offensive Language. [Re: tovasshi]
Erox Offline

Loc: Poconos, PA
"I'm not prejudiced or nothing but..."
(And then go on to say something that would make David Duke blush)

#101100 - 06/01/05 05:52 PM Re: I will tell you how. [Re: Discipline]
FireStarter Offline

Quote:

In my opinion anyone that uses colorful langauge is truly unable to communicate. I will not take anyone who uses foul langauge seriously.

Heck, I was in the military and every other word that marines say is "f*k". I did I cuss, sometimes when I slipped up, but I made sure my vocabulary was filtered from those types of words. It is unprofessional, disrepectful, and idiotic. Sure they are just words and nothing more, but in the long run it is benefical to me to avoid those words.

Unless it is done in good humor, I can enjoy that.

My opinion of course.

Sorry, but I can't take someone whom judges others based solely on thier vocabulary seriously.

I derive not a small portion of my income by being able to articulatly communicate concepts, but when I am "hanging out" you wouldn't be able to fuckin' tell.

Although having been in the service myself I can see how one could become burned out on foul language, and find themselves annoyed by it's over use.

I think the vocab police amoungst us would find thier time better spent worrying about the bastardization of the English language which has gained an over abundance of momentum in the last ten years with the increasing popularity of urban music.

#101101 - 06/01/05 05:55 PM Re: "Dude". [Re: Mike_Hargis]
FireStarter Offline

Quote:

Dude, are those of us who, like, started growing up in the '80's still allowed to use, "Dude?" Or would it still be, like, totally bogus?

Dude is still very common and "in" slang. Now using the word "like" twice in a scentence? Well dude, like that went out of style like 5 years ago.

#101102 - 06/01/05 06:01 PM Re: "Dude". [Re: FireStarter]
Erox Offline

Loc: Poconos, PA
Quote:

Quote:

Dude, are those of us who, like, started growing up in the '80's still allowed to use, "Dude?" Or would it still be, like, totally bogus?

Dude is still very common and "in" slang. Now using the word "like" twice in a scentence? Well dude, like that went out of style like 5 years ago.

Like.. TOTALLY, dude!
(I think "dude" is now a permanent part of our vernacular.)

But don't you think the Scooby Doo movies are bringing the double "likes" back in style?

#101103 - 06/01/05 06:09 PM Re: "Dude". [Re: Mike_Hargis]
Quaark Offline

CoS Reverend

Actually, the one place I have recently enjoyed hearing the word "dude" in, was in the movie "Finding Nemo", by the sea-turtle Crush - whose voice was played by the movie producer himself.

Since he was unable to find any voice actors who could do the whole turtle-surfer thing to his satisfaction, he did that character's voice himself, and quite well.

But unless you're an animated sea-turtle - generally, no.

#101104 - 06/01/05 06:17 PM Re: "Dude". [Re: Quaark]
Tiberia Offline

CoS Witch

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:

But unless you're an animated sea-turtle - generally, no.

No offense, but to be perfectly honest, I only use "Dude" when it's totally inappropriate, like when I'm talking to my mom, know what I mean? .....

#101105 - 06/04/05 02:17 PM Re: "offensive" language [Re: Hydroksyde]
Barb Offline

CoS Member

I rarely use swear words, mainly because my vocabulary is sophisticated enough that I can think of words that are much more creative and descriptive to use to express myself. I feel that using swear words are unprofessional. When other people use swear words repeatedly, I can’t help but laugh a little, as I cannot take these people seriously. Also, these types remind me of all the cliques of “cool kids” who used swear words and all these strange slang terms (that they got from who knows where) repeatedly, who were also the ones who wore all the latest fads and were consumed by herd mentality. It’s fine to use a swear word every now and then when it is necessary, or in jokes where it is necessary, but an over usage just shows a lack of individual character, vocabulary, and also a lack of respect.

"Life is the great indulgence-death the great abstinence. Therefore, make the most of life-here and now!" ~Anton Szandor LaVey

"The true test of anyone's worth as a living creature is how much he can utilize what he has." ~Anton Szandor LaVey

"Twenty percent of your priorities will give you 80 percent of your production, IF you spend your time, energy, money, and personnel on the top 20 percent of your priorities." ~The Pareto Principle, as stated by John C. Maxwell

#101106 - 06/08/05 12:42 AM Re: "offensive" language [Re: Hydroksyde]
G.F.V. Offline
CoS Member

Loc: NYC
In certain cases and contexts, cursing just for the sake of using a million curse words makes it seem like the person is either rambling, running out of valuable words to say, or is pissed off at something. However, I think that cursing can really be beneficial in certain cases to emphasize certain sentences and statements, get an idea or point across firmly, or to release an expression of what he or she is truly feeling inside.

In the end, I have no problem with cursing. I curse at least ten times a day, some cases less, others more. However, I do not curse for no particular reason at all, and especially not frequently in the workplace because I don't want to get fired because I wanted to feel better by blurting out a four letter word.

#101107 - 06/08/05 06:27 AM Re: Really Offensive Language. [Re: tovasshi]
Serdan Offline

Loc: Denmark
Quote:

"I got up to 64 expierence multiplier, and I opened a demon gate where you had to be fat to get in and I have red stuff trailing behind me because my alignment is at 100% evil..."

Fable is a damned good game, you know?

I am amused by the sort of people that use at least one curse word in every sentence, especially if they don't realise how stupid it sounds to others... They are probably too stupid to know consequences of sounding stupid...

#101108 - 06/09/05 07:54 PM Re: "offensive" language [Re: Hydroksyde]
ThrashinHellslut Offline

Loc: Germany
Well, I frequently curse at someone. But it's not because I don't know what to say anymore. For example, if someone says something which I totally disagree with, or which offends me personally, I say my opinion to this person, and a "fuck off" behind, just to emphasize my feelings

#101109 - 06/09/05 07:57 PM Re: "offensive" language [Re: ThrashinHellslut]
CWH Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

Well, I frequently curse at someone. But it's not because I don't know what to say anymore. For example, if someone says something which I totally disagree with, or which offends me personally, I say my opinion to this person, and a "fuck off" behind, just to emphasize my feelings

How do you say "Fuck off" in German?

#101110 - 06/09/05 08:21 PM Re: "offensive" language [Re: CWH]
ThrashinHellslut Offline

Loc: Germany
Quote:

Quote:

How do you say "Fuck off" in German?

We say here "Fick dich". But also we use much anglicisms here (not everyone, well..), so I often say just "fuck off"

#101111 - 07/01/05 11:38 AM Re: Freshmen! >.> [Re: Kaahi]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
You totally fucking nailed it.

I tend to really swear when fatigued, excited, or angry, or when conveying a very strong point. I use milder obscenities like "crap" and "hell" and "damn" more frequently. I tone it down--or even, bring it up a notch--depending on who I'm talking to and what the objective is.

I also listen to how other people talk, so I can get clues as to who they are, hence the importance of making a good impression.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#101112 - 10/08/06 11:45 AM Re: Really Offensive Language. [Re: dragondancer]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
I have no problem with those who use curse words. What I have a problem with is those that use them every 2 seconds. I also want to touch base with what Random stranger stated: I HAVE A BIG problem with people who use terms such as 'you know what I'm sayin'? and words like well, 'like' like, I like went to the like mall yesterday........

THAT bothers me.

I don't like the English language being put on a lower level ie. ebonics.

George Carlin (one of my all time favorite comedians) has a list of such phrases as the ones we are seeing in this thread that bother him too as far as the English language and 'catch phrases' are concerned. You might find listening to his act quite comical.

In any event, as stated I have no problem with curse words. Do you as you wish. Will I take you seriously if you use curse words VERY often when there are far more beautiful and elaborate words to describe that of which you mean? Not probable. However, these words do not, nor have they ever offended me.

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Forum Stats
12116 Members
73 Forums
43873 Topics
405551 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements