Topic Options
#101113 - 10/08/06 02:20 PM Re: "offensive" language [Re: G.F.V.]
redheadgrl Offline

I curse my computer at work.

#101114 - 10/08/06 02:31 PM Cursing like a 'trooper. [Re: CWH]
Linguascelesta Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Europa
In the Paras, there was somebody I knew who inserted "fuck" so much into what he said that it was comical.

"And then the fucking mortars will create fucking medium-sized explosions in that fucking location"

Wait a minute... Fucking medium-sized? What kind of a superlative is that? It's like saying something is really, really medium-sized.

#101115 - 10/08/06 02:40 PM Like / you know / etc [Re: Evil_Eve]
Linguascelesta Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Europa
"I mean, it's like, Monday tomorrow, yeah?"

Will generally get a response from Me something along the lines of "It's not just like Monday tomorrow, it actually is Monday tomorrow".

"You know", isn't so much a bugbear with Me. It generally isn't something that I don't know.

However, using "you" when one means "one" is a bugbear with Me.

"I mean, you just get so depressed when things are like that, and you don't know what to do".

This, I find to be truly offensive language. It may be the case that you get depressed when things are like that and you don't know what to do, but don't include Me in this!

#101116 - 10/08/06 03:41 PM Re: Like / you know / etc [Re: Linguascelesta]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
You know, like, that is totally fucked up.

Seriously though, I agree about the difference between "you" and "one".

I, personally, am guilty of rampant double negatives and I constantly misuse the word, "ironic"... I find this irritates people to no end and yet I just can't not do it...

And I have never heard "bugbear" before! How marvelous!
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#101117 - 10/08/06 04:37 PM Re: Really Offensive Language. [Re: Evil_Eve]
TheAbysmal Offline

I agree with Evil_Eve.

A well-placed expletive seldomly used can have a great affect to what you are trying to convey. When you overuse them, you dilute their affect. If I said "Shut the fuck up!", I would want that to carry a sense of totality, as if to say "You have struck my last nerve. Tread carefully." Now, if I said that every time I wanted a little peace and quiet, it would have less impact where it was really in order. Even worse, when you overuse profanity, you demonstrate that you are not capable of much forethought in what you want to say.

Refuse to die.

#101118 - 10/09/06 11:46 AM Re: Freshmen! >.> [Re: Kaahi]
LightSnake Offline

Quote:

It eats at my nerves when I hear a cuss used stupidly, incorrectly, loudly, half-whisperingly, or just... way too much.

I'm with Miss Manners (Judith Martin) on this one:

"The use of profanities ought to be sharply curtailed in our society, in order to restore to them their proper function, which is to shock people."

--LightSnake

--Camille Paglia

#101119 - 10/10/06 10:01 PM Re: I will tell you how. [Re: False_Messiah78]
euol Offline
Banned

Quote:

Why delay the inevitable? The kids are going to eventually learn the words anyway!

Hearing your best friend at school say "fuck" in the cafeteria or on the way home is one thing... hearing your mother say it is quite another. When parents curse, they are telling their child or children that cursing is socially acceptable, just by example; even if they insist vocally to said child or children that it's wrong or unacceptable. Children will attempt to emulate their parents at some age, and it can be embarassing if you're on a family night out, watching Finding Nemo in theaters, and your child shouts "fuck" when the shark appears. Or something similar...

Also, I do not use socially unacceptable language in front of other people's little children, out of respect for their parents and the children themselves. The decision to raise those children in an environment with socially unacceptable words or not is their parents', and their parents' alone. It is not my place to say anything in front of someone else's child that I would not want them repeating to, say, their Bishop, or their student guidance counselor.

Socially unacceptable words, to me, are simply the words you'd like to avoid saying near anyone you'd like to impress, and the small humans whom you WILL impress.

#101120 - 10/10/06 10:10 PM Re: I will tell you how. [Re: euol]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Quote:

Quote:

Why delay the inevitable? The kids are going to eventually learn the words anyway!

Hearing your best friend at school say "fuck" in the cafeteria or on the way home is one thing... hearing your mother say it is quite another. When parents curse, they are telling their child or children that cursing is socially acceptable, just by example; even if they insist vocally to said child or children that it's wrong or unacceptable. Children will attempt to emulate their parents at some age, and it can be embarassing if you're on a family night out, watching Finding Nemo in theaters, and your child shouts "fuck" when the shark appears. Or something similar...

Also, I do not use socially unacceptable language in front of other people's little children, out of respect for their parents and the children themselves. The decision to raise those children in an environment with socially unacceptable words or not is their parents', and their parents' alone. It is not my place to say anything in front of someone else's child that I would not want them repeating to, say, their Bishop, or their student guidance counselor.

Socially unacceptable words, to me, are simply the words you'd like to avoid saying near anyone you'd like to impress, and the small humans whom you WILL impress.

I disagree.

Using curse words have never been a means of myself impressing anyone but sometimes they do have their place.

When they are overly used they lose thier meaning (which is shock value).

I also, do not curse in front of small children. It is not a necessary thing to do. It is also disrespectful to the parents.

I have two very good friends with lovely children. The female of this couple had a friend over who delightfully called her little son a 'Mother Fucker'. She did this candidly and jokingly but it angered not only the parents but myself beyond measure.

This 7 year old does not know exactly what that term means, but he did not it was not appropriate.

I almost cleaned her clock right then and there.

Back to my point:

You can be in company of highly intelligent individuals and use a curse word and not have to worry about them thinking the lesser of you.

Sometimes a foul word is needed to get your point across, just make sure it has meaning when you say it.

"Our religion does not require martyrs."
Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.
YOU can be a voice for the voiceless.

#101121 - 10/10/06 10:11 PM Re: I will tell you how. [Re: euol]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
You know what, I like that answer.

I respect everyone on principle, until such a time that respect is unwarranted.

Some things are just common sense.

Classy is as classy does.

#101122 - 10/11/06 02:18 PM Re: "offensive" language [Re: Hydroksyde]
tekku Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: Behind You
Quote:

I was just contemplating why so many people are offended by so many "swear" or "curse" words. Personally, I have a problem with them when they are used as a direct attack on me, just as i would if i was insulted otherwise, but some people, whom i consider to be morons, seem to be offended just by the use of words, eg fuck. how the hell can anybody be offended by a word?

Personally i find this all very funny, as i have been a chef for 15 yrs i have heard every form of swearing and its derivatives known to mankind over this time

What i find purely offensive is if one's vocabulary only consists these words and one cannot construct a decent sentance without swearing constantly in their everyday social interactions.

La bonne cuisine est la base du véritable bonheur ~Escoffier~

Church of Satan

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Forum Stats
12282 Members
73 Forums
43881 Topics
404446 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements