Topic Options
#103534 - 05/31/05 05:27 AM Satanic indulgence - Recipe of the week.
DNA Offline

Loc: UK.
Hi once again. I have been rather lax in posting my usual weekly recipe in recent weeks due to both PC problems and taking a well-deserved break from work. I found that a lot of people were 'pissed off' at the complexity (and possible expense) of my last posted recipe, namely the Ostrich steak, including one member of the CoS Preisthood who sent me a message saying "Where the fuck am i supposed to get a Ostrich steak from, asshole!"

You know who you are...

So i thought that i would post something considerably simpler and quick to cook, but no less satisfying. I generally serve this with Basmati rice, but it also goes well with medium egg noodles. Your choice, of course...

Enjoy.

Beef in Oyster Sauce.

Ingredients:

* 350g (12oz) lean steak,
* 2 teaspoons light soy sauce,
* 2 teaspoons dry sherry or rice wine,
* 2 teaspoons cornflour,
* 2 teaspoons oil,
* 3 tablespoons homemade chicken or beef stock,
* 3 tablespoons oyster sauce.

Garnish:

* 4 tablespoons spring onions finely chopped,
* coriander leaves,
* chilli
* strips of radish.

Method:

1. Slice the steak across the grain into 5cm (2’’) lengths.
2. Blend the soy sauce, sherry and cornflour together, toss the meat thoroughly and leave to marinate for 20 minutes.
3. Heat the oil in the wok, until it is almost smoking, add the steak and stir-fry for 1 minute – remove and drain.
4. Wipe the wok clean, add the stock and oyster sauce, bring to the boil, return the beef to the wok and stir over a moderate heat for 2 minutes.
5. Arrange the meat on a serving plate, spoon over the sauce, sprinkle with spring onions, radish strips and serve immediately garnished with a halved chilli.

Cooking time: approximately 6 minutes

Preparation time: 30 minutes (includes marinating).

#103535 - 05/31/05 02:45 PM Re: Satanic indulgence - Recipe of the week. [Re: DNA]
Curiosa Offline

Loc: New England
Thank you DNA, I shall be using this recipe for dinner tonight (with a few small modifications)!

#103536 - 05/31/05 02:55 PM Re: Satanic indulgence - Recipe of the week. [Re: DNA]
False_Messiah78 Offline
Banned

Loc: New York State
Yes, this does sound good. I'm actually printing this one out.

SETI@Home Team

#103537 - 05/31/05 02:56 PM Re: Satanic indulgence - Recipe of the week. [Re: DNA]
FallenFairy69 Offline

Loc: knoxville,tn
mmmmm...sounds wonderful.Now I must be off to the store.

#103538 - 05/31/05 04:45 PM Re: Satanic indulgence - Recipe of the week. [Re: FallenFairy69]
DNA Offline

Let me know how you all get on. If people tell me what kind of dish they want (Meat, poultry, fish, vegetarian etc) then it helps when it comes to selecting something for the recipe of the week. Otherwise i end up looking like a complete arse for suggesting Ostrich Steak!

#103539 - 06/01/05 12:32 AM Re: Satanic indulgence - Recipe of the week. [Re: DNA]
Hydroksyde Offline

Loc: New Zealand
I like pasta and chicken...

Have printed this recipie, will make it some time

#103540 - 06/01/05 10:02 AM Re: Satanic indulgence - Recipe of the week. [Re: DNA]
False_Messiah78 Offline
Banned

Loc: New York State
As long as the recipes you give stick with ingredients that one can readily pick up at their local grocery store it should be fine.

They need not necesarilly be simple, just doable.

SETI@Home Team

#103541 - 06/01/05 10:27 AM Re: Satanic indulgence - Recipe of the week. [Re: DNA]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

Loc: Atlanta, GA.
Thank you for the recipe, DNA, I made this last night (I love that it took such a small amount of preparation time) and it was a success. I'm an avid cook, and look forward to another recipe next week....as long as its relatively achievable, hence, no Ostrich.

(a Salmon recipe would be great, hint hint )

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"An inordinate passion for pleasure is the secret of remaining young" - Oscar Wilde

#103542 - 06/01/05 10:43 AM Re: Satanic indulgence - Recipe of the week. [Re: DNA]
Caesar Offline

CoS Warlock

Sorry, but anyone can copy and paste someone else's recipe (and I think it pretentious that you sit there and take credit for them).

http://www.kenhom.com/recipes/detail.asp?ID=187

#103543 - 06/01/05 10:52 AM Re: Satanic indulgence - Recipe of the week. [Re: DNA]
fiftythirdspirit Offline

Shopping today and will pick up ingredients for this one! Will try tonight or maybe with a new friend of mine.

Vegetables, pasta, and fish are my draws.

Thanks, DNA!

#103544 - 06/01/05 12:00 PM Salmon in “Hoegaerden” [Re: Bruja]
Zink Offline
CoS Member

Loc: the low countries
Then maybe you'll like this one:

This is a delicious and very easy Flemish recipe.

Hoegaerden is a cloudy white wheat beer. I think any similar brew would do just fine. If possible, try to find a ‘grand cru’. (Yes, beer can also be ‘grand cru’)
The rest of the ingredients should be easy:
Salmon (4 nice, thick slices)
1Egg
A bay leaf (or laurel?)
Thyme
Parsley
Pepper, salt
Olive oil (8 spoons)
Lemon juice (1 spoon)
1 Shallot (or eschalot or scallion???)
½ litre water
The recipe is for 3 to 4 people. It is eaten cool or even cold.

I serve this with boiled wheat grains, but you could also use rice or pasta or something else.
Boil the egg and mince with a fork.
Chop the shallot, add a little salt, the olive oil, lemon juice, 4 spoons of beer, and chopped parsley. This is the dressing.

Let the water and 1/3 of the bottle beer (I use more) boil with the bay leaf, thyme, pepper and salt. When it boils, place your salmon slices in it (the pot you use should be large enough so the slices can lie next to each other), and put on a low fire. The salmon will be cooked in about 8min. Don’t let it go to soft, or it will fall apart. Take the salmon out and let it cool.

Place the salmon on a plate, add the wheat (or pasta,…), dress with the minced egg and the shallot dressing.

Very easy, very good.

#103545 - 06/01/05 12:04 PM Re: Satanic indulgence - Recipe of the week. [Re: DNA]
DNA Offline

Quote:

I thought that i would post something considerably simpler and quick to cook, but no less satisfying.

I didn't say that i had come up with the recipe or was it's originator in any shape, way or form. Any idiot can cut and paste something, actually making the correct choice is something different altogather.

Do i hang my head in shame for choosing a recipe from the legendary Harry's Bar in Venice? Not at all. One should always show respect to a master, and Mr Ken Hom in THE world authority on Eastern and Fusion cuisine. 'Nuff said.

#103546 - 06/01/05 12:22 PM Re: Satanic indulgence - Recipe of the week. [Re: DNA]
Caesar Offline

CoS Warlock

I didn't say that i had come up with the recipe or was it's originator in any shape, way or form.

You didn't say you were not, either, and you know as well as I that others here assumed you were. Only now do you give credit where credit is due.

If you were a verifiable Member, there's a whole section for this kind of discussion 'downstairs', but it may call for you to be a bit more original than 'recipe selection'...especially under the banner of indulgence.

#103547 - 06/01/05 12:28 PM Re: Satanic indulgence - Recipe of the week. [Re: DNA]
Mr_Atrox Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Lycopolis
Quote:

Do i hang my head in shame for choosing a recipe from the legendary Harry's Bar in Venice? Not at all. One should always show respect to a master, and Mr Ken Hom in THE world authority on Eastern and Fusion cuisine. 'Nuff said.

Curiously, you mention showing respect for a master. So why not simply site the recipe's creator from the start and avoid suspicion? Not to mention the pretentious stance you've adopted in this response.

#103548 - 06/01/05 12:47 PM Re: Salmon in “Hoegaerden” [Re: Zink]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

Loc: Atlanta, GA.
Thank you, Zink. This sounds fantastic, and I've not prepared anything similar to this recipe, so I am excited to give it a try.

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"An inordinate passion for pleasure is the secret of remaining young" - Oscar Wilde

Forum Stats
12218 Members
73 Forums
43999 Topics
406137 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements