Hi once again. I have been rather lax in posting my usual weekly recipe in recent weeks due to both PC problems and taking a well-deserved break from work. I found that a lot of people were 'pissed off' at the complexity (and possible expense) of my last posted recipe, namely the Ostrich steak, including one member of the CoS Preisthood who sent me a message saying "Where the fuck am i supposed to get a Ostrich steak from, asshole!"
You know who you are...
So i thought that i would post something considerably simpler and quick to cook, but no less satisfying. I generally serve this with Basmati rice, but it also goes well with medium egg noodles. Your choice, of course...
Beef in Oyster Sauce.
* 350g (12oz) lean steak,
* 2 teaspoons light soy sauce,
* 2 teaspoons dry sherry or rice wine,
* 2 teaspoons cornflour,
* 2 teaspoons oil,
* 3 tablespoons homemade chicken or beef stock,
* 3 tablespoons oyster sauce.
* 4 tablespoons spring onions finely chopped,
* coriander leaves,
* strips of radish.
1. Slice the steak across the grain into 5cm (2’’) lengths.
2. Blend the soy sauce, sherry and cornflour together, toss the meat thoroughly and leave to marinate for 20 minutes.
3. Heat the oil in the wok, until it is almost smoking, add the steak and stir-fry for 1 minute – remove and drain.
4. Wipe the wok clean, add the stock and oyster sauce, bring to the boil, return the beef to the wok and stir over a moderate heat for 2 minutes.
5. Arrange the meat on a serving plate, spoon over the sauce, sprinkle with spring onions, radish strips and serve immediately garnished with a halved chilli.
Cooking time: approximately 6 minutes
Preparation time: 30 minutes (includes marinating).