Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#104851 - 06/06/05 06:49 AM (Rant) Why do they do it?
Cholinergic Offline
<B>CoS Member</B>

Loc: UK
I run a philosophy board as part of the forum on another site, and as is to be expected, we sometimes get christians coming to preach. This is often entertaining, but can get nasty.

One individual came to the site and started posting about homosexuality, comparing homosexuals to serial killers and similar. As we have several homosexuals on the forum i gave a warning and then banned them after they continued. They have since returned with a different name but from the same IP and claim to be someone else. They keep on posting supporting themself. My question is - why are some christians so obessed with "spreading the gospel" that they have to resort to childish games?

As religious debate is a hobby of mine i often take part in debates with christians, so long as they remain polite and mature. But how does acting so immaturely help their "cause" at all?

Sorry for the rant, just wondering if anyone can think of some pyschological reasons behind this behaviour.

#104852 - 06/06/05 07:14 AM Re: (Rant) Why do they do it? [Re: Cholinergic]
ShadowWalker Offline
CoS Member

Obsessive religous people are usually empty vessals that have to have some sort of identity. The big-name religions offer a large support system and positive stroking when their followers publically mouth the party line.

These empty people don't stop and think whether they may know any homosexuals personally and make a personal judgement, they like the attention they get from their churches (synagogues, mosques).

Since you say you debate with these people, you know if you pose reasonable, intelligent points of view, they become threatened. These are not people who are questioning, they are people who want to be told what to think. They don't want truth to rock their world.

---------------

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

#104853 - 06/06/05 09:52 AM Re: (Rant) Why do they do it? [Re: Cholinergic]
Entity Offline

CoS Reverend

Loc: Avalon UK
Quote:

Sorry for the rant, just wondering if anyone can think of some pyschological reasons behind this behaviour.

I don't have a reason, only an opinion; that stupidity is directly proportional to belief.

~DE

Nothing is better than to live according to one's taste. - François Villon

Test Everything. Believe Nothing.

#104856 - 06/06/05 10:09 AM Re: (Rant) Why do they do it? [Re: Cholinergic]
tovasshi Offline

Loc: Banana, Canada
Its kinda like owning a club and everyone wants people to join their club and the more people they get to join the more popular they are going to be.

Another theory is that everyone wants to be a hero and "save someone" Part of the yerning for the feeling of being "special". They want to be have the feeling in the back of their head that says "I saved someone, I am a hero"

Then again sometimes people just want an excuse to be an annoying ass.

#104857 - 06/06/05 10:14 AM Re: (Rant) Why do they do it? [Re: tovasshi]
Cholinergic Offline
<B>CoS Member</B>

Loc: UK
That would explain the excessive preaching, but not the sneaky/immature tactics. My theory is related to ego - if someone shows them to be wrong, they feel threatened and need to make up for it.

#104858 - 06/06/05 02:00 PM Re: (Rant) Why do they do it? [Re: Cholinergic]
demonBEAST Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
who would ever expect the "good ol' christians to come out using guerilla tactics...wow

#104859 - 06/06/05 02:28 PM Re: (Rant) Why do they do it? [Re: Cholinergic]
CWH Offline
CoS Member

Its something they are taught to do. They are taught to go out and go after people to convert them and never take no for an answer.

In the old days, if the people didn't convert, they killed them. Today, they can only harrass you with any little tactic they can dream up.

I find it very laughable.

#104860 - 06/06/05 02:45 PM Re: (Rant) Why do they do it? [Re: CWH]
tovasshi Offline

Loc: Banana, Canada
They are almost as bad as the telemarketers they don't stop even when you tell them you're not interested.

*shudder*

I can see the future of things now. We will get Telephonevangelists calling durring supper.

"Good evening and God bless, the is Rev. Kools McKay. If I can have a moment of your time I can tell you how you and your family can be saved for just one hour a week of your time..."

#104861 - 06/06/05 03:36 PM Re: (Rant) Why do they do it? [Re: tovasshi]
RustySpring Offline
CoS Warlock

True, but at least one can simply hang up on telemarketers.

I have recently had a nifty little function added to my home telephone that will stop all telemarketers (and indeed the future possibility of televangelists) dead in their tracks.

This feature enables my phone to directly refuse calls from withheld/private numbers without any effort whatsoever on my part.

As most, if not all, companies call from private numbers, they simply get an automated female voice telling them that I refuse to accept any calls from private numbers.

If I don't have someone's number or they aren't willing for me to have it, they are not important enough to be able to contact me!

It works a treat!

#104862 - 06/06/05 04:20 PM Re: (Rant) Why do they do it? [Re: Cholinergic]
IronCrafter Offline

Loc: A Harsh Reality ,Wa USA
These deluded creatures have had it inculcated into them that they MUST "spread the word" to be accepted into thier mythical paradise.

And of course, the money hungry pastors will back this up ,giving many sermons and homilies on this. They would soon be out of easy jobs if they were not bolstered by a continuing influx of new and eager morons.

I will suggest simply banning by ip address in the future on your board-this will stop that nonsense with "spoofers" from recurring. As far as Missionaries who appear at my home,I simply take a look through the peephole in my door. I am under no compulsion to open it to anyone I find to be suspicious,and hanging up the phone is pretty damned easy. If they really bother you,get a cap gun and fire it next to the reciever just before you do so.
"Life is an objective-achieve it." "Be who you are and say what you feel,because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr Suess My home page featuring my work can be found here. HS! Crafter

#104863 - 06/06/05 06:06 PM Re: (Rant) Why do they do it? [Re: Cholinergic]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
Quote:

Thats easy. They think they are going to Heaven if they do it...

#104864 - 06/06/05 06:10 PM Re: (Rant) Why do they do it? [Re: Cholinergic]
Maya Offline
CoS Member

Loc: New England
Aside from having their egos stroked by their own kind, they are also trying to rack up points. They honestly believe that the more people they convert, the better the chance they'll get into heaven. By no means are their motivations altruistic. They are totally self-serving. I don't have a problem with selfish behavior. As it says in my signature, egoism is the very essence of a noble soul. However, these people are so deluded that they cannot even admit that they are self-serving. They are therefore far from noble.

On the subject of intrusive herdling missionaries, I am reminded of a story I was told about my maternal grandfather. He was a Catholic, though he thought of Mass as terribly boring and often did not go. He did, however, have a small collection of Bibles as part of his very large book collection. Whenever a Jehovah's Witness or someone of that ilk came to his door, he often invited them in. He would pick up one of his leatherbound Catholic Bibles and tell them to smell it, going on about what a good Bible it was. The missionaries were invariably freaked out and would leave. He became famous among missionaries in his corner of Norfolk, Virginia. Come to think of it, he probably was a little nuts...

Anyway, his behavior was actually somewhat Satanic, in my opinion. He used intrusive, troublesome people as entertainment. I love it.

#104865 - 06/06/05 07:15 PM Re: (Rant) Why do they do it? [Re: Cholinergic]
Solomon Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cincinnati
Humans are social creatures.

Religion for most is a distant thing that many do not understand.

When large groups of humans gather to explain what they know little to nothing about, they generally come to a consensus of "truth" and fervently defend what they deem right foregoing any evidence to the contrary.

This condition is called hubris.

Hubris is the foundation for mosques, temples, churches, Senates, Parliaments and other ruling bodies worldwide.

So we have a social creature who searches for answers in something he can't understand only to become frustrated and create his own answers. He will defend his Lie to the death, for to be wrong would indicate failure not only to himself but also to his peers, which of course is his true God.

He is what he is, no more no less.

All the way stars' green, gotta go.

#104866 - 06/06/05 07:27 PM Re: (Rant) Why do they do it? [Re: Cholinergic]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.
Quote:

As religious debate is a hobby of mine i often take part in debates with christians, so long as they remain polite and mature.

Two parties who think they are right in an arguement means
no one wins. Let them spew until they realize that no one
is playing along.

A masochist says: "Hit me!"
The sadist says: "No!"

#104867 - 06/06/05 07:36 PM Re: (Rant) Why do they do it? [Re: Cholinergic]
Enchantress Offline

CoS Member

Another reason for the sneaky/immature tactics, could be that they secretly want to "do something bad and get away with it" - it would give them a thrill; which they would immediately interpret as "being filled with righteousness against the 'evil' board that had banned them" or whatever the hell they think they feel filled with....
But the thrill would really be in doing something they know they shouldn't...something forbidden.
This is my take on it, anyway.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Forum Stats
13165 Members
73 Forums
44444 Topics
407322 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 04:49 AM
Advertisements

hold