Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#104883 - 07/01/05 04:48 PM Re: (Rant) Why do they do it? [Re: Cholinergic]
chimera Offline

Loc: Sacramento, CA U.S.A.
FEAR. They can't, or won't admit that they don't know it all, and neither does their god. The more they preach the less they need to know. To know that when they die that there is no waking up (to a beautiful tommorrow.....) to anything .period. They're scared. Aren't you. At least we have the intestinal fortitude to face it.

#104884 - 07/03/05 06:46 AM Re: (Rant) Why do they do it? [Re: Cholinergic]
Citizen_HHG Offline
CoS Member

Loc: the Netherlands
Great rant and to my opinion this is quite simple, they have nothing better to do in their lives. So if they are bored in their things like work, their spouse, ad nauseam; they will (again) go on a crusade and spent time (secretly, because their "god" won't like it...) on the internet to annoy people. They are so stupid as is their religion!!!

Citizen_HHG

www.churchofsatan.com
www.vampiretemple.com

#104885 - 07/03/05 07:10 AM Re: (Rant) Why do they do it? [Re: Cholinergic]
ThrashinHellslut Offline

Loc: Germany
Quote:

My question is - why are some christians so obessed with "spreading the gospel" that they have to resort to childish games?

It's their mission to proselytize people, as Jesus allegedly said. Short and simply.

#104886 - 07/03/05 07:22 AM Re: (Rant) Why do they do it? [Re: ThrashinHellslut]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Ah, but Jesus charged his flock with many other duties and tasks, many of which they rarely or barely follow through on.

So, then, the follow-up question is, why have so many Christians been *so good* about following through on this directive, with bells on, even? So, now we're back where we began.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#104887 - 07/03/05 08:39 AM Re: (Rant) Why do they do it? [Re: TrojZyr]
Cholinergic Offline
<B>CoS Member</B>

Loc: UK
The answer is simple - by converting others they are validating their own beliefs are true. Some of jesus's teachings are inconvient to actually implement so they don't bother. The old testament laws are also criminally insane - hence most don't try to implement them, but the 10 commandments are convient, so they try to follow them. (note "try").

#104888 - 07/03/05 08:37 PM Re: (Rant) Why do they do it? [Re: Cholinergic]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
By george, I think you've got it.

At least, I think you've got a major part of it--depending on who you're dealing with, different additional motives come into play. But, I would say that a crucial element of conversion is the desire to convince ONESELF first and foremost, as convincing others gives one the impression that one must truly be correct.

Another additional motive that hasn't been discussed, but which I've actually learned about from my dealings with Christians, is that they just want to share something that they love very much. Most people, when they find something they really love or really enjoy, they want to share it, either out of a desire to hear themselves dwell on their favorite topic, or out of a desire to share, or both. I eagerly talk about movies I like to people who will lend an ear, for instance. A professor of mine seems to like to share about a type of self-improvement course he took. Other people like to talk about the sports they play or the shows they watch, in hopes others will show interest and even join in.

But, it's those other additional motives we're talking about that make the Christians really doggedly aggressive, however--pure and innocent eagerness to share just doesn't make people that psycho all on its lonesome.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#104889 - 07/04/05 01:46 AM Re: (Rant) Why do they do it? [Re: Cholinergic]
Magui Offline

Loc: San Josť, Costa Rica.
My friend, their cause itself does not help their cause at all. But this is not about their cause. Many of them think themselves so right that if they can justify it to themselves they will use any method, no matter how childish to "enforce the will of god". And I may add many of them think themselves so bright, that they think their little charades will go unseen.
The best choice may be not to think about their reasoning at all, but thinking on how to deal with their issues.

#104890 - 07/04/05 04:10 AM Re: (Rant) Why do they do it? [Re: Cholinergic]
Caesar Offline

CoS Warlock

Most christians are 'christian' simply as a result of culture (much like political beliefs). If they had been born and raised elsewhere, they would be of that region's predominant religion.

That said, a study in christian church history is interesting to say the least. Your understanding of them and insight as a result will amaze you. You will soon laugh at what you feel is bothering you now.

#104891 - 07/04/05 06:41 AM Re: (Rant) Why do they do it? [Re: Magui]
Trevellyan Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

Many of them think themselves so right that if they can justify it to themselves they will use any method, no matter how childish to "enforce the will of god".

The worst thing is that even in life they do that. I had a friend years ago, she was the daughter of a priest. First we just toleranced each others beliefs, and laughed together over poeple who bothered us with "rock is the devil's music".
I was shocked, when she just started to cry at the middle of the school saying that she is so sorry, that she can't save our souls from Hell because we don't let it, and listening to metal music will just lead to eternal damnation.
I don't have to say what an expression came to my face...
To count on the others regret is just disgusting... oops, I forget that they have no pride because it i a sin...

#104895 - 07/04/05 10:25 AM Re: (Rant) Why do they do it? [Re: Trevellyan]
Magui Offline

Loc: San Josť, Costa Rica.
Yes it is always like this: - (Oh I am so sorry for you - conceals her face and pulls out some hair from her nose so tears come to her eyes) - then they start preaching about some such nonsense.

But you have it wrong in a way. Pride may be a sin for them, but they have a way out of it by being hypocrite. What they don`t have is dignity. I am sure you have discovered that a vast majority of them are incredibly selfish. They just use "whatever parable" to disguise their true colors and behave in a completely ridiculous manner. But perhaps this is what this post is all about. How can persons with no respect whatsoever for themselves be expected to show respect for the thought of others?

#104900 - 07/04/05 04:33 PM Re: (Rant) Why do they do it? [Re: Magui]
Trevellyan Offline
CoS Member

You are right.
I can't understand, why it is soooo difficult to stand up, to be unbendable. It isn't the ballast of all those long years that bent their backbones... or?
One day a priest came to our school (invited by our hypocrite form mistress) but he was also from that kind.
When I just think about it, I get the feeling, I've never known a simple-hearted Christian... or he/she never bragged with being one.

#104901 - 07/04/05 05:39 PM Re: (Rant) Why do they do it? [Re: Trevellyan]
ThrashinHellslut Offline

Loc: Germany
They always make their lives heavier, than they supposed to be, nothing new.

What really makes me laugh (I'm not annoyed anymore), is their non-respect to others beliefs or philosophies. I'm registered to a christian board due to talk about different topics (And no, I'm not there to proselytize anybody or something, its just for my interest). And when we discuss about Sex, Beliefs, etc. pp., at least they ask if you believe in God or not. And when I say "No, I don't", there comes a "Okay, I'm gonna pray for you." And almost everything else said will be ignored.

Don't get this wrong, If I am registered on THEIR board, I behave myself, otherwise I wouldn't be there. But I expected inherently, that some of them would be able to discuss in a more conformable way.

#104904 - 07/05/05 10:39 AM Re: (Rant) Why do they do it? [Re: Cholinergic]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

Take it from a scientific perspective.

Genes perpetuate themselves when they are sufficiently good (in survival terms) to reproduce, preferably lots of times. A gene that gives its owner lots of survival benefits but somehow negates reproduction is a doomed gene. A gene that barely scrapes by but allows lots of reproduction will do great. Hence peacocks; having long tails is no survival advantage, but it does perpetuate genes, since peahens like the long tails so very much and consequently mate with long-tailed males.

Survival of the fittest actually means "Survival of whatever produces the mathematically highest rate of reproductive success by any means over a period of time."

If we treat ideas (i.e. memes) like genes, which as it turns out we can do quite easily, then memes which reproduce themselves rapidly in the minds of others will survive the longest. Obviously, a characteristic of a successful majority religion is that it must contain the ability to reproduce in the minds of others. Hence, Christianity has spread far and wide, Zoroastrianism has decidedly not (Zoroastrianism does not accept converts).

Further, of all the things written about Christianity in the Bible, notice that the ones that are always emphasized are the ones that have led to its success as an idea. Widespread proselytizing, unchecked biological reproduction, dominance over rival religions. Any sect of Christianity that arose that did not embrace these "virtues" would find itself on the losing end of the evolutionary (in terms of memes) stick.

Just my take on it.

#104905 - 07/05/05 11:48 AM Re: (Rant) Why do they do it? [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Tiberia Offline

CoS Witch

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:

Just my take on it.

Great analogy, and that would be my take on it as well, Warlock LeviathanXIII.

#104906 - 07/05/05 12:50 PM Re: (Rant) Why do they do it? [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Cholinergic Offline
<B>CoS Member</B>

Loc: UK
Memetics is a fascinating subject and does explain this very well. I was not wondering why christians feel the need to proselytize, but why this particular example resorted to such bad techniques which are almost certain to fail.

Perhaps it's just honest stupidity.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Forum Stats
13166 Members
73 Forums
44436 Topics
407317 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 04:49 AM
Advertisements

hold