Topic Options
#106466 - 06/15/05 02:15 PM Ave Satanas?
ian_diabhal Offline

Loc: Texas
I do not know if this question has posted before.
Perhaps so.
Right off the bat, I do not post it now as any criticism of Dr. LaVey or the Satanic Bible.
On the contrary, I have the utmost regard and respect for both.
It regards the phrase "Ave Satanas" or "Rege Satanas"
A person who claims to know Latin said to me that this form is incorrect and improperly used.

It should be according to them, "Ave Satana" in proper Latin.
I take the Satanic Bible/Rituals very seriously and took the comment as an affront to it and to Dr LaVey.
The person phrased it in such a way that it was a direct criticism and insult to Dr. LaVey and the Satanic Bible, which I found offensive and took immediate exception to.
I did not like being corrected upon the matter.
It is not the first time it has cropped up.

Yeah. I could tell em to f#ck off.
In the big picture, it isnt an earth shaking matter.
That would be the easiest course. Not quite as satisfying as having even subjective or circumstantial evidence to the contrary to smugly rub in their face.
That being said, I would like to know if there is any logical or etymological arguement or evidence that "Ave Satanas" is a correct form.

Ave Satanas!
Rege Satanas!
"Measurement owes its existence to Earth, Estimation of quantity to Measurement, Calculation to Estimation of quantity, Balancing of chances to Calculation and Victory to Balancing of chances." Sun Tzu - Sunzi Binfa

#106467 - 06/15/05 02:26 PM Re: Ave Satanas? [Re: ian_diabhal]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

This matter has already been discussed to total satisfaction. Check past posts; you'll find it.
"The devil I'll bring you," answered Hagen. "I have enough to carry with my shield and breastplate; my helm is bright, the sword is in my hand, therefore I bring you naught."

#106468 - 06/15/05 02:29 PM Re: Ave Satanas? [Re: ian_diabhal]
Cholinergic Offline
<B>CoS Member</B>

Loc: UK
Like you said, it's a small matter - personally, i find the S sound in Ave Satanas more pleasing then simply Ave Satana. Ritual isn't about correct grammar, it's about emotion. But, from what i have heard Satana is indeed the correct form. Does this matter in ritual or in general expression of emotion? no

Ave Satanas!
Yes, I named myself after a neurotransmitter

Forum Stats
13227 Members
73 Forums
44473 Topics
407471 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 04:49 AM