Topic Options
#109572 - 06/30/05 04:48 AM Suggestion for thread display
Maniac Offline

Hi,

I don't know how others like the browse the site, so I'll make this a suggestion:

When a user clicks on the thread title to view that thread, only the first post is displayed and the replies are displayed only as titles. I find that I always click on a thread, then click on "Flat" to really view it as a discussion.

I'm suggesting that this be the default behaviour; i.e: threads are displayed flat by default. It makes browsing much easier.

As a further push to the idea, maybe a real threaded view with all comments expanded would also be easier to browse.

What do you think?

#109573 - 06/30/05 05:24 AM Re: Suggestion for thread display [Re: Maniac]
toad Offline

CoS Member

Loc: texas
If you want it flat, go to your "my home" and "edit" for "display preferences" and set it as flat instead of threaded.
You'd think you might've checked first to see if that was an option before posting such drivel.
Toad

I have the power to channel my imagination into ever-soaring levels of suspicion and paranoia.

#109574 - 06/30/05 07:51 AM Re: Suggestion for thread display [Re: toad]
Maniac Offline

Of course, there's always the tendency in this forum to insult people for asking questions instead of giving a simple answer.

If you re-read the original post, the question is at the end, and it isn't addressed in the current implementation; a real threaded expanded view of discussions.

Think flat view, but where replies are directly under the post they reply to (with a certain indentation to show levels or replies). Like the threaded view that shows the titles only under "Entire Topic" but where the bodies of the replies are expanded.

Now why is this a suggestion?

Because it helps people keep track in conversations, where in the current system, a person will stumble upon a reply in page(3) to a post that is in page(1) and how they relate is not really clear, unless you try to draw a sitemap in your head, or on paper for that matter.

Alas, this is a suggestion, you think it's "drivel."

You'd think you might've read the question first before posting such insults.

--mm

#109575 - 07/02/05 02:00 AM Re: Suggestion for thread display [Re: Maniac]
False_Messiah78 Offline
Banned

Loc: New York State
That would be nice, but I wonder if the program that Magister Ventrue uses supports a function like that. Other message boards I have been on in the past were automatically like that.

I see it as just a minor annoyance, as you can follow with a bit of scrolling up and down.

Magister Ventrue did just to a major upgrade of this board, so I think he earns some well deserved rest before even thinking of tackling a project such as that.

SETI@Home Team

#109576 - 07/09/05 12:46 PM Re: Suggestion for thread display [Re: False_Messiah78]
Mike_Hargis Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Bensalem, PA (Philly 'burbs)
Quote:

Magister Ventrue did just to a major upgrade of this board, so I think he earns some well deserved rest before even thinking of tackling a project such as that.

Magister Ventrue rests ?!? I thought he was some relentless android!

www.myspace.com/satanist_in_pa
www.massagespace.net/Details/CMT-in-NE-Philly
www.brightfuse.com/mikehargis
www.facebook.com/people/Mike_Hargis/1381346496

#109577 - 07/12/05 10:21 PM Re: Suggestion for thread display [Re: Maniac]
toad Offline

CoS Member

Loc: texas
First off.
Original post:
Quote:

I'm suggesting that this be the default behaviour; i.e: threads are displayed flat by default. It makes browsing much easier.

My "answer":
Quote:

If you want it flat, go to your "my home" and "edit" for "display preferences" and set it as flat instead of threaded.

Hmmm... seems like a simple Q and A to me. And that does solve you initial problem, ie, defaulting to flat.

Second.
Quote:

Of course, there's always the tendency in this forum to insult people for asking questions instead of giving a simple answer.

Ok... lets look for the question...
Quote:

What do you think?

Well, that's the only question mark I see, so I guess that is the only question. My answer would then be that "I think" you have posted pure drivel by your not checking your preferences to see if "defaulting to flat" wasn't already an option before bringing it up.

I dealt with the majority of your original post, which was a suggestion to default to flat. The part about a "real threaded expanded view" was tacked onto the end as a "further push to the idea", not a suggestion unto itself as you are now trying to make it out to be.
If you were wanting an answer to only your idea of a "real threaded expanded view", you should have set that up as a question unto itself. A "what do you think" tacked onto the bottom is not a defined question. This can (and was) considered to be a question of "what do you think of everything I've said in my post", not a "what do you think of just the very last sentence I wrote".

Lastly sir, I did not insult you. I don't see anything in my post along the lines of calling you an undereducated twit, nor telling you to go play a nice game of "hide and go fuck yourself". Those sir are insults.
I said that you had posted drivel. And I stand behind my decision to call it drivel based upon your lack of exploring for yourself to see if that was not already an option in your preferences.

Now... as for you "real threaded expanded view"... I'm not really wanting to have to sift through a lot of shit posts to get to the chewy center that is the good stuff, which is what I find myself doing on other message boards that are set up in flat only. I would much rather see something like the "hybrid view" on this message board. Click on "display modes" in the top right corner of the posts and select the "hybrid mode" (if it is not already selected) to see what I am talking about.

Toad

I have the power to channel my imagination into ever-soaring levels of suspicion and paranoia.

Forum Stats
12198 Members
73 Forums
43978 Topics
406033 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements