Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#113228 - 07/15/05 09:40 PM Re: Stupid. stupid, STUPID. [Re: TheAbyss]
Insurgent Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

Quote:

Romano was wearing... an upside-down crucifix...

This had to happen eventually. This is a classic case of misinterpretation of Dr LaVey's writings, and CoS philosophy.

Satanism and Inverted Christianity are NOT the same thing.

Seriously, what did the kid expect wearing an Inverted cross around his neck!

Sorry for the lack of empathy, but what the kid did was generally known as 'Asking for it.'

I'm sorry but I thought we were supposed to abide by civil rights, not bigot rights. I didn't know there was an ammendment in our constitution that said "If you don't like their beliefs then attack them. They're asking for it!" Just another instance of criminals being made out to be victims and the victims being made out to be criminal; "oh poor hate crime convicts, they were prodded into attacking because someone offended their xenophobia!"

Its that kind of attitude that makes Hate Crime legislation necessary. Its that kind of attitude that these laws are slowly eating away at. Its a sad fact that Americans need an extra slap on the hand to keep from assaulting people but that is the way it is. I know this from personal experience with people that would have gladly accepted an assault charge but cringed at the idea of hate crime conviction (meaning: I've lived in the redneck, honkey tonk, White Power south).

Wearing an inverted cross is no more asking for it than wearing a Baphomet. Being a Jew isn't asking to have a Swastika carved into your forehead.

And sure, we should practice good judgment on when and when not to express our religious affiliations (or lack thereof) but it doesn't mean its OK for someone to attack us when we slip. No one would say "He asked for it." if a real Church of Satan member that was known got attacked by random xenophobes for a Baphomet or whatever else.

Your lack of empathy doesn't bother me. I don't have much empathy for the kid myself. What I feel is a simple understanding what is just and what is unjust. I don't care if he was a Church of Satan member or not even a Pseudo-Satanist, what happened is socially reprehensible.

"My dear Insurgent you're an extremist, intolerant and you have prejudices. That's all."

"I am a fucking Satanist and desire in all of my being to be the Queen of the World if at all possible...."

#113229 - 07/15/05 09:56 PM Re: "Satainst" attacked = Hate Crime [Re: Svengali]
CWH Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

The incident was an all-round collision of dumbasses.

It is unfortunate that the term "Satanism" had to enter into it in any way.

Very much agreed Rev. Svengali

#113230 - 07/15/05 10:01 PM Re: Hate Crimes [Re: TR966]
Ortrud Offline
CoS Member

Loc: NYC
I don't agree that hate crimes laws are stupid. I do see it as different when someone acts violently towards another person just because of their race, sexuality, gender identification, religion, etc.

When I was growing up, my father used to rant that all homos should be strung up by their balls and beaten. He never expressed this sort of violent rage against anyone else and never committed a violent crime, but I do believe that if he was in a group situation, he probably would've done something stupid. I believe that hate crimes laws are for people who grow up with hatred and don't have the self control to not crumble under peer pressure.

As for the guy that got beaten - I don't care what kind of a stupid jerk he was, or what he was wearing - the law should be on his side and not on the side of violent assholes. Should a woman get raped because she's "asking for it" by wearing provocative clothing?

I don't know the statistics, I don't know if the hate crimes laws are a deterent, but, I think they should exist. I don't flaunt my sexual orientation or religion, but if someone spots me as "different" and beats me up for it, society should punish him severely. What do I pay fucking taxes for, anyway?

Hail Satan!
Ortrud

#113231 - 07/15/05 10:08 PM Re: "Satainst" attacked = Hate Crime [Re: TR966]
Cyrus Offline

As despicable as this case may be, it is almost humourous in it's predictability.

The world is full of small-minded, insignificant people lashing out in an attempt to find their spot - too bad some of them do it so abrasively.

#113232 - 07/15/05 10:35 PM Re: Is that all??? [Re: Shiva]
Mjollnir Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Gone
You would think that aggressively hitting someone in the head with a metal pipe, when not in self-defense, would be considered an extremely violent act.. maybe even attempted murder. It seems weird to me that those individuals were not put in jail. Such slap-on-the-wrist punishment only succeeds in encouraging more of the same behaviour.

Now picture this.. A couple of log-haired, upside-down cross wearing punks with black nail polish beat up a so-called normal looking guy for no reason.. and proceed to bash him in the head with a metal pipe. What kind of punishment would the courts decide? I bet they'd go to jail.

Hmmm.. Not that I really care that much, either way.

#113233 - 07/15/05 10:43 PM Re: Is that all??? [Re: Mjollnir]
CWH Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

Now picture this.. A couple of log-haired, upside-down cross wearing punks with black nail polish beat up a so-called normal looking guy for no reason.. and proceed to bash him in the head with a metal pipe. What kind of punishment would the courts decide? I bet they'd go to jail.

Hmmm.. Not that I really care that much, either way.

The media would have turned it into some sort of "Satanic" ritual beating or something silly like that.

#113234 - 07/15/05 10:55 PM Re: Is that all??? [Re: CWH]
Mjollnir Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

The media would have turned it into some sort of "Satanic" ritual beating or something silly like that.

Sure thing.. that would be all over the news, on every television station. There probably would be organized neighborhood watches for future "ritual beaters" .. maybe even a documentary.. and most definitely a "true crime" book written about the matter.

It's a sick world.

#113235 - 07/15/05 11:04 PM Re: Is that all??? [Re: Mjollnir]
CWH Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

It's a sick world.

Yes, it is.

#113236 - 07/15/05 11:12 PM Re: Hate Crimes [Re: Ortrud]
Mjollnir Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

I don't know the statistics, I don't know if the hate crimes laws are a deterent, but, I think they should exist. I don't flaunt my sexual orientation or religion, but if someone spots me as "different" and beats me up for it, society should punish him severely. What do I pay fucking taxes for, anyway?

Law enforcement is a joke when it comes to the streets.

Although I totally don't agree with what happened in the story, I must admit the "victim" here seemed to demonstrate very little street smarts. It would seem there is a lesson to be learned from this "victim's" pain and suffering.

The world isn't neccessarily ready to embrace Satan.. Use some discretion and you'll be okay. Rubbing Satan in a Christian's face is likely to ignite some unwanted attention.. perhaps of the metal pipe variety.

A brainwashed mind, backed by popular opinion, can be a very dangerous thing, indeed.

#113237 - 07/15/05 11:17 PM Re: Hate Crimes [Re: Mjollnir]
CWH Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

Rubbing Satan in a Christian's face is likely to ignite some unwanted attention.. perhaps of the metal pipe variety.

A brainwashed mind, backed by popular opinion, can be a very dangerous thing, indeed.

Yeah, remember when Jesus taught that it was ok to beat people with metal objects?

#113238 - 07/15/05 11:23 PM Hate Crime [Re: CWH]
TR966 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Up in the Mountains, USA
>>it's a hate-crime? No, its just a crime, period.<<

My point hate or not is not the issue, it is a crime.
Zarathustra
Or, "most people are like Slinkies...
Not really much good for anything, but
they can still bring a smile to your face
when you push them down a flight of stairs.
TR966

#113239 - 07/15/05 11:23 PM Re: Stupid. stupid, STUPID. [Re: Insurgent]
CWH Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

Your lack of empathy doesn't bother me. I don't have much empathy for the kid myself. What I feel is a simple understanding what is just and what is unjust. I don't care if he was a Church of Satan member or not even a Pseudo-Satanist, what happened is socially reprehensible.

That's exactly how I feelt about this. You just said it better than I. Good call. Thank you.

#113240 - 07/15/05 11:25 PM Re: Hate Crimes [Re: CWH]
Mjollnir Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rubbing Satan in a Christian's face is likely to ignite some unwanted attention.. perhaps of the metal pipe variety.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, remember when Jesus taught that it was ok to beat people with metal objects?

Actually, I've been a little behind on my bible studies. Sorry.

#113241 - 07/15/05 11:35 PM Re: Hate Crimes [Re: Mjollnir]
CWH Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

Actually, I've been a little behind on my bible studies. Sorry.

(Smiles)

#113242 - 07/16/05 12:12 AM Re: Stupid. stupid, STUPID. [Re: TheAbyss]
VKat Offline

Loc: Northern California
Quote:

Satanism and Inverted Christianity are NOT the same thing.

What is inverted christianity?

Quote:

Seriously, what did the kid expect wearing an Inverted cross around his neck!

Speaking from a "youthful" perspective. I am 22, I've never heard of inverted christianity. An inverted cross worn in my area only signifies a lack of faith in christianity. I don't own any such jewelery but to each his own. I can't imagine that in this persons home area that his attire is really that unusual.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Forum Stats
12171 Members
73 Forums
43938 Topics
405804 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements