Topic Options
#115273 - 07/31/05 04:53 AM The Duty of joining The Church Of Satan.
TheAbyss Offline

Loc: Helsinki, Finland.
I found a copy of 'Satan Speaks!' at a book market the other day, and found it stimulating reading. In particular is the chapter "Get A Life." In it, Dr LaVey talks about why people should consider at a duty to join the Church of Satan, and the reasons for doing so.

"Affiliation should be based on respect, rather than desperation. Respect for a set of principals and for other men and women who share those principals, yet are not dependant on the organisation to give substance to thier lives."

- So if joining the CoS injects meaning into your life (perhaps the only meaning) the one shouldn't join. Dr LaVey talks further about giving back to an organisation that has taught the individual:

"Anyone who resists affiliation with the Church of Satan yet draws from it for any reason, personal or financial, is NOT independant, only parasitic.

- Is there anyone here who has not had thier life change from the teachings of Dr LaVey? Who has not had that spark within kindled by a philosophy that says "This is who i am!" People who chose to use the manifesto in the Satanic Bible yet don't want to put something back are indeed leeches. I for one am proud to be submitting my membership fee's (a pittance at 160 Euros) and to give something back to the CoS.

Thank you.

#115274 - 07/31/05 08:08 AM Re: The Duty of joining The Church Of Satan. [Re: TheAbyss]
J. Hagalaz Offline

Loc: USA
I have respect for the COS but I have no desire to join any time soon. I worship myself, not the Church of Satan. Does that make me a leech?

"Anyone who resists affiliation with the Church Of Satan yet draws from it for any reason, personal or financial, is NOT independant, only parasitic. "

This seems tp be in reference to someone like that kid who was beat up for "being a Satanist" and then used his "membership" (he wasn't even a member) to justify his victim status. And then there are these "Satanic" orginizations who use Dr. LaVeys material yet denies or even shit talks the COS.

There are plenty of Satanists who are not members. That doesn't make them leeches. The fact that you seem so concerned about what other people are doing makes you look a bit like a leech.

Edited by johnharperjr (07/31/05 08:21 AM)

#115275 - 07/31/05 12:15 PM Re: The Duty of joining The Church Of Satan. [Re: TheAbyss]
uncleherpe Offline

Gaining something from the cos when you arent a member is parasitic, but if you dont gain anything from it then I dont really see the harm.

I think my only real 'duty' as a satanist is to myself, to examine possibilities and see if they are in my best interests, not to just agree with whatever dr lavey said at any given time. I certainly agree with everything stated in the satanic bible, and do want to join the cos one day, but I dont feel like it is any duty of mine. Its something I want to do, not something I feel obligated to do.

#115276 - 07/31/05 01:11 PM Re: The Duty of joining The Church Of Satan. [Re: TheAbyss]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder. -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#115277 - 07/31/05 07:19 PM Re: The Duty of joining The Church Of Satan. [Re: uncleherpe]
Drimlybunk Offline
CoS Member

Loc: California
Quote:

but if you dont gain anything from it then I dont really see the harm.

No one can read the Satanic Bible and not be influenced by it. Maybe it's a small change such as now refering to oneself as the best example of Satan but it's still a change in mindset. The Satanic Bible did not change the way I live my life but it did offer some useful tools for gaining an edge on the competition (primarily the use of lesser magic). I've always been a Satanist, but thanks to the Satanic Bible now I know it. And that's enough gained.

I'd also add that simply being able to interact with such successful people in this forum which I never would have found had it not been for my reading of the Satanic Bible is something anyone reading this has gained.

[If you really care why I haven't joined yet I'll tell you, but I doubt you do.]

#115278 - 07/31/05 08:10 PM Re: The Duty of joining The Church Of Satan. [Re: J. Hagalaz]
soldier4satan Offline

Loc: NY (for now)
I believe Dr. LaVey said many times to look at who benefits. If I join the CoS simply out of an imaginary duty, then the CoS benefits, but where is my benefit. When I feel the need to lay my money on the table then I benefit and so does the church. That is when you should join, don't just sit down and read the book and say oh, now I have to join because the Satanic Bible impacted my life. Rather join when you can benefit the church and therefore the legacy of LaVey and at the same time be rewarded yourself I feel that is much more Satanic.

#115279 - 07/31/05 09:10 PM Re: The Duty of joining The Church Of Satan. [Re: soldier4satan]
Drimlybunk Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

an imaginary duty

The point is, that duty is real. The only thing imaginary is your intro.

And if you had to join after reading the Satanic Bible they'd make it cost 200 dollars and have the card come inside...

If you call yourself a Satanist, you're just being a leech by not joining. It's disrespectful.

Edited by Drimlybunk (07/31/05 09:11 PM)

#115280 - 07/31/05 09:40 PM Satanic guilt trip? Please! [Re: TheAbyss]
Dan_Dread Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Someone rather influential to the development of Satanism as a religion had something to say on this issue. To paraphrase: "One need not be a member of the Church of Satan to be a Satanist"
His words mean more to me than the bulk of yours combined ever will
Hail to the Doktor.
"One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike and yet it is the most precious thing we have." - Albert Einstein --------------------

#115281 - 07/31/05 10:03 PM Re: Satanic guilt trip? Please! [Re: Dan_Dread]
Drimlybunk Offline
CoS Member

If He were still alive would you be able to use that arguement to his face?

#115282 - 08/01/05 12:06 AM Re: Satanic guilt trip? Please! [Re: Drimlybunk]
Rev_Malebranche Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: Oregon
Ouch. That had to hurt.

And, with that, I'm closing this thread because it is redundant and will probably degenerate into pointless drama.

Forum Stats
13116 Members
73 Forums
44415 Topics
407284 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 04:49 AM
Advertisements

hold