Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#115345 - 08/01/05 12:25 AM Hunting?
Serpens Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Western New York
The 10th Satanic rule of the earth states "Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food."

I don't have any problem with this, since I do not hunt. However, what if someone enjoys hunting for pleasure? For the "thrill of the hunt"? How does Satanic philosophy regard this?

Edit: To clarify the question, hunting for sport, and not for personally eating.

Edited by Serpens (08/01/05 12:28 AM)

#115346 - 08/01/05 12:48 AM Re: Hunting? *DELETED* [Re: Serpens]
Drimlybunk Offline
CoS Member

Loc: California
Post deleted by Drimlybunk

Edited by Drimlybunk (08/01/05 12:49 AM)

#115347 - 08/01/05 12:51 AM Re: Hunting? [Re: Serpens]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

Isn't it self-explanatory?

If you are not eating it, or at least giving the meat to someone who will eat it, you are in violation of Satanic law to kill animals. Killing for trophies or for thrillkills is obviously contrary to our philosophy.

Hunting and then eating what you have killed is fine, and covered by this rule of the earth.

#115348 - 08/01/05 01:00 AM Re: Hunting? [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Serpens Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

Isn't it self-explanatory?

If you are not eating it, or at least giving the meat to someone who will eat it, you are in violation of Satanic law to kill animals. Killing for trophies or for thrillkills is obviously contrary to our philosophy.

Hunting and then eating what you have killed is fine, and covered by this rule of the earth.

My curiosity stemmed from the train of thought that we are all animals, and some animals kill for fun. But of course, Satanism holds animals as sacred and naturally carnal. It was a silly question, I agree.

Thank you.

#115349 - 08/01/05 01:43 AM Re: Hunting? [Re: Serpens]
Powaqqatsi Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Hungary
Quote:

some animals kill for fun

It is not clear for me: do you mean that there are some human animals who kill for fun?

If you were thinking of other animals, then how would you know what was the motivation behind the kill? Could you please mention some species which kills for fun?

#115350 - 08/01/05 02:03 AM Re: Hunting? [Re: Powaqqatsi]
Serpens Offline
CoS Member

Cats do it. They have fun 'playing' (the stalking and chasing) with the prey, which seems like a parallel to some hunters I talk to.

#115351 - 08/01/05 02:07 AM Re: Hunting? [Re: Powaqqatsi]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
Wolverines and the common cat, if I'm not mistaken, kill for the sake of killing, beyond their survival needs, seemingly for exercise or entertainment.

My cats love to kill lizards. My yard is abundant with Anole lizards, which sometimes get into the house, to the enjoyment of my cats, who will enthusiastically chase and bat it to death. When the lizard is "done", the cats don't eat it, they poke at look at it with eagerness, as if to say "lets play some more." When they realize the lizard isn't going to play anymore, they move on to the next thing, leaving it for me to pick up.

I've observed my outside cats doing the same with bugs, mice and lizards.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
“A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.” -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#115352 - 08/01/05 02:17 AM Re: Hunting? [Re: Serpens]
Powaqqatsi Offline
CoS Member

I don't know if it's true or not, but I heard that cats play with their prey because it makes the prey's flesh more delicious. I believe this is the same reason why in China they beat and torture dogs before they slaughter them.

#115353 - 08/01/05 02:18 AM Re: Hunting? [Re: Svengali]
Serpens Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

Wolverines and the common cat, if I'm not mistaken, kill for the sake of killing, beyond their survival needs, seemingly for exercise or entertainment.

My cats love to kill lizards. My yard is abundant with Anole lizards, which sometimes get into the house, to the enjoyment of my cats, who will enthusiastically chase and bat it to death. When the lizard is "done", the cats don't eat it, they poke at look at it with eagerness, as if to say "lets play some more." When they realize the lizard isn't going to play anymore, they move on to the next thing, leaving it for me to pick up.

I've observed my outside cats doing the same with bugs, mice and lizards.

Do your cats bring you presents often? I think that it's rather cute when the cat brings food for you.. even if you do have to clean it up when your cat rips its prey's head off in the house.

#115354 - 08/01/05 02:24 AM Re: Hunting? [Re: Svengali]
Powaqqatsi Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

When they realize the lizard isn't going to play anymore, they move on to the next thing, leaving it for me to pick up.

I don't want to force my opinion, but it seems to me that from the cat's perspective it's not a kill but a careless play, an accident. I don't necessarily think that their intention is to take the life of their "prey".

Of course I haven't corresponded with cats yet so I could be entirely mistaken.

#115355 - 08/01/05 02:42 AM Re: Hunting? [Re: Serpens]
Vincent Offline
CoS Member

Loc: B.C.
You see, human animals have a few more responsibilites than others.

#115356 - 08/01/05 02:55 AM Re: Hunting? [Re: Svengali]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

No doubt about it, cats will kill without eating, this is a product largely of cats separate evolved instincts.

In cats, the urge to hunt and to eat are separate urges. That's why cats don't try to kill their catfood; snakes on the other hand will strike and "kill" even prekilled prey items. When cats play, it is typically an expression of their urge to kill separated from their urge to eat.

Any time you see a cat playfully chase his inanimate cat toys, he is expressing his urge to kill something.

#115357 - 08/01/05 03:02 AM Re: Hunting? [Re: Serpens]
Entity Offline

CoS Reverend

Loc: Avalon UK
Animal behaviourists now think that the 'presents' cats leave around the house are put there to teach or remind humans how to kill.

From a cat's perspective, humans must appear to be useless rat catchers, therefore requiring lessons in the gentle arts of disembowelling, beheading etc.

Nothing is better than to live according to one's taste. - François Villon

Test Everything. Believe Nothing.

#115358 - 08/01/05 05:10 AM Re: Kill for fun or fun for killing? [Re: Powaqqatsi]
Leo_V Offline
CoS Member

I recall a documentary in which a killer whale caught a seal, took it a few hundred feet off shore, then began tossing it up into the air only to catch it when it tried to swim away. The seal had no chance of escape.

It did eventually kill and eat the seal. I was amazed to watch this.

I know some hunter types. They've got camo suits, facepaint, deer piss, tree stands... Food or not, I don't see the point in it.

Let Bambi return fire. Then I'll be impressed.

#115359 - 08/01/05 06:22 AM Re: Hunting? [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Eussiah Offline

Quote:

Any time you see a cat playfully chase his inanimate cat toys, he is expressing his urge to kill something.

Maybe, but cats also seem to have an urge to play without killing. I've known many cats, and found that they all have a sense of "killing" vs "playing." If I'm playing with a cat, using my bare hand, and the cat is biting and clawing my hand, it seems to have two modes of doing so. If the cat is angry, it will cause damage to my hand, and bite to "kill." But there are other times when the same cat will bite my hand and hold it in its claws, but show restraint. It is these times that I surmise the cat has some concept of "play," where it understands that biting my hand is alright, as long as it's not hard enough to make me bleed. I've observed this behavior consistently in several cats.

Of course these were all domestic house cats, and this split between killing and playing modes may have been a result of learning to adapt to human reactions. Then again, we've all seen those nature programs where lions and tigers and such "play" with each other, perhaps for the purpose of sharpening their reflexes for the real battles.

I had a cat that loved to chase and catch moths. It always batted them around, chewed off non-vital pieces, and generally tortured them. But it never killed even one of them. Sometimes they would die from their injuries, but usually the cat was very good at keeping them alive but crippled. Would it have killed had it been a wild cat? Did the years of playing with inanimate toys and human hands somehow change the way its instincts were manifested? Maybe.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Forum Stats
13166 Members
73 Forums
44447 Topics
407327 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 04:49 AM
Advertisements

hold