Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#118003 - 08/20/05 11:05 AM Re: Evolution? [Re: Priestess Palmer]
Mr. Obsidian Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Ohio
Quote:

Hard evidence? What, do you want a picture? Universe expansion, Nucleosynthesis and Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation not enough for you?

I would like a framed 14"x20" animated picture of the entire universe; one portraying it's inception and subsequent reactions.
What? It was a rhetorical question? Oh...
Well, In that case I'll just take your word.

Quote:

None of us will be here in 200 years time, and we will be as one. One great hole where mankind once stood.

Oh shit...
You're one of those annoying "glass-half-full" overly optimistic types, aren't ya?

Seriously though, Widow, I love your style!

(Have your eyes always been that green?)

Olio/Etcetera

Flesh and Bones

“For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can't readily accept the God formula, the big answers don't remain stone-written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command nor faith a dictum. I am my own god. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.”
~ Charles Bukowski

#118004 - 08/20/05 03:47 PM Re: Evolution? [Re: Priestess Palmer]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
>>None of us will be here in 200 years time, and we will be as one. One great hole where mankind once stood.

Very optimistic, are we? It seems people like to focus in on the idiotic and pain things of today and not what is being researched. Of course that is understandable, people tend to concentrate solely on the negative aspects of their lives.

Some of us will be here in 200 years and having a grand old time.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#118005 - 08/20/05 03:58 PM Re: Evolution? [Re: Jack_Lantern]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

>>Right now, in the environment that exists, we are getting dumber because of the idiots that want to make the world safe for everyone, and so being intelligent is no longer a factor in successful reproduction. If the human race wants to get "better", than it needs to make society more ruthless

Intelligence never has been a part of "successful" reproduction. It does not take a genius to reproduce. An idiot and a Noble Bell prize winner both reproduce the same way and both with various different types of offsprings.

Are people getting dumber? No, the average level of intelligence, in my opinion, has remained the same and will continue to.

Burt strength and ruthlessness do not automatically equal intelligence.

This cannot be defined in black and white, and it cannot be as simple as stating the lack of brutality is a cause of decadence. Life is still quite brutal today.

Just throwing ideas on the table.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#118006 - 08/20/05 05:25 PM Re: Evolution? [Re: Discipline]
Priestess Palmer Offline
CoS Priestess

Loc: Viking Bay
I highly concentrate on the positive aspects of my life, thank you... I concentrate on the negative aspects of this shit hole of a 'society' I'm expected to live in, that's all.

Quote:

Some of us will be here in 200 years and having a grand old time.

I was throwing the idea around that we won't be here in 200 years because some fuckwit will have set off a nuclear bomb to prove a point. So, unless you are a cockroach, in the sense of my point, you won't be having a good time.

Edited by Widow (08/20/05 05:30 PM)

#118007 - 08/20/05 05:30 PM Re: Evolution? [Re: Priestess Palmer]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

That's cool.

But could any society created by man be labeled as a "shit hole"?

People are ignorant because it is comfortable. Does that mean society and civilization offers no enjoyments? Is it truly just a "shit hole"?

#118008 - 08/20/05 05:40 PM Re: Evolution? [Re: Discipline]
Priestess Palmer Offline
CoS Priestess

It is a 'Shithole' (not wanting to dwell on this labelling too much) because the people with real integrity, real courage, real intelligence, real wit, real cunning, real drive are not the people chosen to run our countries, and make our countrys' decisions.

Most the people on this board, well downstairs at least, I would vote for anyday. I would trust most of them to make the right choice in regards to the treatment of the weak, the worthless, the lame and the idle. Whereas, it seems, the society I live in praises these qualities.

It doesn't matter how much I personally enjoy what I have, Indulge in what I do and appreciate who I am, because the world outside my window, outside of the beautiful landscape and scenery, Is disgusting.

I am pessimistic as far as the government is concerned, they have done nothing to warrant my trust in their intentions to help the human race survive, or evolve. This has no bearing, however, on how I live my life .

#118009 - 08/20/05 05:42 PM Re: Evolution? [Re: Mr. Obsidian]
Priestess Palmer Offline
CoS Priestess

Quote:

[I would like a framed 14"x20" animated picture of the entire universe; one portraying it's inception and subsequent reactions.

Sorry my friend, we only have large 60' x 80' shots left.

#118010 - 08/20/05 05:58 PM Re: Evolution? [Re: Priestess Palmer]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

The world is not fair. Nature is not fair. Life is short and too amazing to simply dwell on the bad aspects. You are fully aware of this, I can tell.

There will always be fools who have power, but there will also be great men that hold the traits of intelligence and cunning that also will hold power. Sure, they are the minority, but that minority has the determination.

A prefect world is a pipe-dream. Or if it isn’t a pipe-dream, then by whose standards is it judged a prefect world?

I don't like most of the filth that comes out of the majority's mouth. I also disagree with policies that may be in place. Overall, however, life and civilization are very good and I enjoy what I have earned.

I am sure you know this. I state this just in banter.

#118011 - 08/20/05 07:13 PM Re: Evolution? [Re: Priestess Palmer]
J. Hagalaz Offline

Loc: USA
I was throwing the idea around that we won't be here in 200 years because some fuckwit will have set off a nuclear bomb to prove a point. So, unless you are a cockroach, in the sense of my point, you won't be having a good time.

I think nature will take care of most of the population long before man gets the chance to blow it all to shit. "Hey, East-West coast! Can you swim?

Small, small example.

Hail Leviathan!

Hail Satan!

Edited by johnharperjr (08/20/05 07:14 PM)

#118012 - 08/20/05 08:46 PM Aside: the Big Bang as a Big Bust. [Re: Priestess Palmer]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...

#118013 - 08/21/05 12:37 AM Re: Evolution? [Re: J. Hagalaz]
Mjollnir Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Gone
Quote:

I think nature will take care of most of the population long before man gets the chance to blow it all to shit.

That's what I've always figured: Nature will end mankind before mankind is able to end nature. We are living in a relatively stable period in time, aside from a few earthquakes, tidal waves, hurricanes, and tornadoes. The earth will always go through changes. If a species can survive, then it will. If it cannot survive, it will perish. Just look at the dinosaurs. Only certain species survived from that time period. Who would have guessed that the cockroach would outlive the mighty Tyrannosaurus Rex?

Hopefully, the human cockroaches won't be the ones to survive if some drastic change were to occur. I would doubt it, though. I think the ones who will survive are going to be the ones who are in touch with nature, and the natural world.

#118014 - 08/21/05 01:10 AM Re: Evolution? [Re: Jack_Lantern]
False_Messiah78 Offline
Banned

Loc: New York State
Quote:

What you say is very true, but keep in mind, it takes on a scale of 10,000 to 30,000 years for a species to change even slightly

WRONG! It is a FACT that humans today are a good deal taller then they were in the Middle Ages. And that was only Centuries ago. Tovashi mentioned this in her post. Apparently you must have skipped over that sentence.

In Medieval times, the average human was only around 4 feet tall. These days, it is not out of the ordinary to see a 6 foot tall human.

While this change is not as dramatic as, say, growing or loosing a tail. it is still evolution none-the-less.

SETI@Home Team

#118015 - 08/21/05 05:52 AM Re: Evolution? [Re: False_Messiah78]
Jack_Lantern Offline
CoS Member

Loc: America
I'll agree with you if you can prove that the increase in height is not do to improved nutrition and medicine.

#118016 - 08/21/05 05:56 AM Re: Evolution? [Re: Discipline]
Jack_Lantern Offline
CoS Member

Loc: America
I disagree, it certainly is a part of successful reproduction(and I will qualify this opinion), otherwise it would have just been a side affect of other adaptations, and nothing much would have come of it. But very much has come of it. It may not be a big factor generation to generation, but over about the timescale I've already discussed, it's sure the hell is a big factor. Neanderthals would be able to tell you, if we didn't kill them all with our better made weapons and tactics.

#118017 - 08/21/05 10:13 AM Re: Evolution? [Re: Jack_Lantern]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

>>Neanderthals would be able to tell you, if we didn't kill them all with our better made weapons and tactics.

Did the Neanderthals die off because of Homo sapiens’ use of weapons and tactics, or because of higher competition for food sources and their own lack of action?

Brut strength does gain results and so does intelligence. However, ruthlessness does not begets intelligence.

An intelligence man is equipped individually with a better ability to survive but that does not guaranty that his offspring will inherit that trait. Stupid people could produce smart kids, while intelligent people can produce dumb kids. Sure there is a chance that those with intelligence can produce an intelligent child, but genetics is strange in what it constructs during birth.

>>otherwise it would have just been a side affect of other adaptations,

Would it? Being stupid does not mean you would have been a flaw if you are able to reproduce. Hell, being stupid you could easily have the dormant genes to produce a genius.

Does that mean you should sympathize with idiots. No, but at least realize that intelligence does not beget intelligence when dealing with physical reproduction. If such a thing was true then by now Homo sapiens would all be geniuses because there have been many geniuses who have coupled with other geniuses. The fact is, humans are far from that.

If we were to talk in terms of using genetic engineering to create intelligence and strength, then I would see no argument. Instead of relying on random combination of chemicals in the womb, we could depend on a structured and controled technology.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Forum Stats
12155 Members
73 Forums
43918 Topics
405733 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements