Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#120208 - 09/05/05 12:25 AM Re: "The worship of life" [Re: Jack_Lantern]
CWH Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

....on gaurd duty in Egypt.

Funny, every time I've been on guard duty, the only thing I could think of is, "Wow, what the hell am I doing wasting my life out here in this stinking place?"

#120209 - 09/05/05 07:25 PM Re: "The worship of life" [Re: Mr. Obsidian]
Shylock Offline

Loc: Tiki Land
Here's some I shared with others that already posted:

--Looking up at the stars in the country and being amazed by the beauty of the world
--Late-night driving, especially pleasure-driving, and the feeling of peace and serenity it brings me
--I also have felt the sensation of appreciating life in the face of death when passing accidents on the highway

Others which were more "my own":
--Coming up with a new idea or finally getting something I've mulled over in my head, like the meaning of a particular work of literature or why I feel the way I do about some social issue. Nothing beats the sense of discovery or the recognition of worlds of new possibilities like having a "Eureka!" moment.
--Moments of serendipity, like having a friend call me while I'm thinking about her, finding the answer to a question I've been asking in an unlikely place, or receiving something of significance out of the blue. I often find money or am given money as tips in the approximate amount it would cost to buy something I had been coveting the same day. When I found my cat in a parking lot, it was hours after talking to friends about how much I wanted a cat for my new apartment--and to add to it, she looked exactly like the kind of cat I was dreaming of having (an all-black cat with gold eyes). These moments stick with me.
--Holiday times, with all the excitement and special foods/decorations/gifts/family members.
--How I feel the moment after a ritual, when I feel that I've laid my feet on a new path for myself and done something constructive about a problem I'm seeking to resolve.
--When I'm angry at someone and am either immune from their actions or have some way to get back at them. If at the very least I can tell them where to shove it I feel the joy of NOT being harmed and NOT being brought down and bothered by some stupid schmuck who thought they'd give me trouble.
--The joy of entering a new world in a book, movie, or amusement park also fits the list.

--The Royal Me

#120210 - 09/05/05 07:41 PM Re: "The worship of life" [Re: Bill_M]
Shylock Offline

Loc: Tiki Land
I've felt similar feelings in different circumstances, usually regarding some issue of sexuality. I've had sexual experiences where it has occurred to me (during or after the fact) that I just thoroughly enjoyed something considered taboo by the prudish. For many losing one's virginity is shameful and more awkward than it needs to be--for me, it was what it was and I felt I made that transition without any unneeded guilt.

Similarly, I also occasionally see news segments or TV shows about gay couples getting married. While it's not my business, I easily empathize with people and usually get caught up in the gushing joy of the couple being interviewed. At the same time, I know someone somewhere is getting horribly offended and/or grossed out, while all I can feel is a great sense of happiness that the two people involved have found each other. I likewise feel the same when people describe sexual experiences outside of relationships that had a positive impact in their lives--"I'm glad I ran around while I still had the chance," "He was a great lover but I'm glad I didn't marry him, so-and-so and I get along much better," "I'm glad my husband and I decided to have an open marriage--there's so much more variety," etc. Where others see shameful promiscuity, supposed insecurity, and hell-bound antics, I see people trying to fulfill their needs and making the most they can out of the one shot at life they've got. And it makes me smile.

--The Royal Me

#120211 - 09/06/05 11:12 AM Re: "The worship of life" [Re: Mr. Obsidian]
G.F.V. Offline
CoS Member

Loc: NYC
1) Staring at an amazing orange-red sunset while walking on a desolate beach near the Ocean in deep South Jersey has made me appreciate my life.

2) Driving in my car listening to music on a clear night while freely thinking about random ideas made me think about how much I appreciate my life.

3) Hearing about people who have died in really absurd situations has made me think of how much I enjoy my life.

4) Recovering from some pretty messed up illnesses throughout my life has made me think about how I really love to be alive.

5) Finding my love and realizing that we both equally have equally strong and passionate carnal/sexual endeavors has made me realize how I am grateful and happy to be alive.

6) All in all, knowing that my mom and dad created me makes me feel special to be alive!

Hail Satan!

#120212 - 09/07/05 10:11 AM Re: "The worship of life" [Re: CWH]
Jack_Lantern Offline
CoS Member

Loc: America
Yeah, thats what gaurd duty is like when there aren't bedouins trying there hand at piracy, i.e. back in the states. Sitting there in the middle of the night, guarding a vehicle ramp in the middle of a Marine Corps base, thinking, "Wow, I must be really stupid to have ended up here."

#120213 - 09/07/05 10:51 AM Re: "The worship of life" [Re: BlameMe]
BlameMe Offline

Loc: Scotland
Quote:

Times when I have felt that "I fucking love my life more than anything" feeling...

* Playing a game of flashlight tag on a foggy night in my pyjamas while camping with friends in the woods... Adrenaline, giggles and extreme happiness.

* Feeling my nephew kick inside my sister... Such an amazing feeling.

* Crying to "Sorry About That" live in London, with all my friends around me.

* First ever mosh pit. Nuff said.

* Any time I ever look up at the sky at night when I'm out in the country... Theres something about looking at the stars that makes me feel so glad to be alive... Its just so beautiful and being able to experience such beauty is, to me, what life is about...

I love that feeling so much. I love my life.

I'd like to add "being woken up at 3am by my brother in law phoning me to tell me that my sister has gone into labour".

Although... Its been 14 hours now and theres no sign of a baby yet... But I am anticipating my first hug from my first nephew!!

#120214 - 09/07/05 12:05 PM Re: "The worship of life" [Re: Jack_Lantern]
pitzi_83 Offline

Loc: Israel
Every army has those kind of guard duties.
The more of them, the more your country is in actual peace
Give or take several UFO psychos howling in the desert
at some classified base.
(as with the above - every army has those... )

#120215 - 09/08/05 02:06 PM Re: "The worship of life" [Re: BlameMe]
Cholinergic Offline
<B>CoS Member</B>

Loc: UK
As an upcoming father myself I would like to say congratulations to you, your sister and your brother in law on your first nephew

The anticipation is really something isn't it?

#120216 - 09/08/05 02:21 PM Re: "The worship of life" [Re: Cholinergic]
BlameMe Offline

OH WOW! CCONGRATULATIONS!!!

It's amazing. I got my first hug today! My sister is such a hero, she did it all with gas and air, and my brother in laws arm is all bruised and scrathed! haha!
I hope they have more kids. I'm not gonna have any of my own, I'd rather be cool Aunt Sye who's a little bit odd.

Enjoy your wifes pregnancy - take as many photos of her as you can, theres something about pregnant woman, they always look gorgeous. I told my sister that only two days ago! She really suited her bump, but she suits being a mummy more!

We're all still on a high from it. Its one of the most amazing things you'll ever experience. Have fun!

#120217 - 09/09/05 04:45 PM Re: "The worship of life" [Re: BlameMe]
Cholinergic Offline
<B>CoS Member</B>

Loc: UK
Quote:

Its one of the most amazing things you'll ever experience. Have fun!

I'm still pondering how best to help her cope with the labour pain - starting a part-time course soon so I can definately miss a day without struggling to catch up. Can keep up with my education and with my future duties as a father

#120218 - 09/09/05 05:10 PM Re: "The worship of life" [Re: Cholinergic]
BlameMe Offline

Just keep the germolene handy... She'll cut your arms/hands to pieces... Some guys have actually had bones broken in their hands by their wives!

And she may curse at you. A lot. And blame you for getting her pregnant. Just try not to anger it... (A good general rule when she's pregnant too... Give her whatever she wants, if you like an easy life...)

#120219 - 09/09/05 06:53 PM Re: "The worship of life" [Re: Mr. Obsidian]
Bedlam Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Perfidious Albion
I am currently dancing around my farmhouse kitchen to a bit of Jazz Drum & Bass with two daft Greyhounds boogieing (sp?) with me.

We have just come back from the pine forest.

A good friend popped round earlier and dropped off a White Stripes CD, shared a Shiraz or two and conversed.

Typical "boring" Friday evening.

Do I look like I carry a pencil? Jason Statham

It may be Crazy
But I'm the closest thing I have
To a voice of reason

~ Gil Scott Heron

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Forum Stats
12118 Members
73 Forums
43876 Topics
405562 Posts