Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#120408 - 09/02/05 04:18 PM Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible?
Max Rose Offline

Something that I have been thinking a great deal about lately is Anton LaVey's connection to the Satanic Bible. I have been finding myself wondering what his purpose might have been for writing the Satanic bible. Sometimes I feel like it doesn’t make sense for the Satanic Bible to exist. I am not sure that even if I was capable of communicating idea's as well as Anton was able to that I would have ever bothered to write a book like the SB.

I can’t really see the use in writing the SB for power. You cannot control a Satanist. If you wanted power you certainly wouldn’t be trying to appeal to the minds of intellectuals. Furthermore the Church is not really much of a profitable enterprise when the only fee’s imposed for membership are the entry fees. So for the most part that idea seems like a dead end.

I also don’t imagine that Anton had any benevolent purposes in mind either. While the thought of Anton being a man with a heart big enough to want to see success and prosperity for the human race is a touching, I don’t really see it as being a very realistic idea. I don’t believe the man who said “Satan represents kindness to those who deserve it instead of love wasted on ingrates!” intended to save the world. Infact I don't imagine that he was the kind of person who would waste a minute of his time on helping people he doesn't even know.

So I ask then, if the intentions weren’t necessarily selfish, or benevolent, then what might they have been? I am curious as to what others may think.

Edited by TheGreenGroove (09/02/05 04:28 PM)

#120409 - 09/02/05 04:28 PM Re: Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible? [Re: Max Rose]
J. Hagalaz Offline

Loc: USA
I think that Dr. LaVey knew that there were "others" out there and The Satanic Bible was his way of reaching out to them. It wasn't charity. He saw the need for this religion to exist.

Now it does, and aren't you glad?

I also don’t imagine that Anton had any benevolent purposes in mind either.

Are you suggesting here that a Satanist can't have love and respect for the world around him? You think that Dr. LaVey didn't have it in him to want a better world to live in?

Edited by johnharperjr (09/02/05 04:34 PM)

#120410 - 09/02/05 04:42 PM Re: Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible? [Re: J. Hagalaz]
Max Rose Offline

No, all that I am saying is that there is no such thing as benevolence. Everyone's actions are ultimately selfish. Why would you bother wasting your time on the rest of humanity when you can focus on your own world? I love the people that I love, but I couldn't care less about bob from australia who works as a dumptruck driver. I love the people that I love because they bring me joy. That is ultimately selfish, and I am okay with that.

I don't feel like the answer "He saw that it needed to be, and it was" quite explains his motivations either. That seems to be a generally excepted concept, but what was it that he saw that made him feel like it needed to be. Why would he care in the slightest about other satanists just because they exist. What does he get out of it? That is certainly the question that I am asking when I am making a choice. Was it really all about the thought of doing something good for mankind? Was it because it made him feel good about himself? Surely there must have been more to it than that.

Edited by TheGreenGroove (09/02/05 04:54 PM)

#120411 - 09/02/05 04:53 PM Come together, right now.... over Satan. [Re: Max Rose]
Mr. Obsidian Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Ohio
Quote:

So I ask then, if the intentions weren’t necessarily selfish, or benevolent, then what might they have been?

A necessity to coalesce the various aspects of life, which have always existed, but were never before accurately defined as "Satanism".
This is why you see ideas that might parallel other great thinkers, such as Nietchze.
This is why certain historical figures are referred to as "defacto Satanists".
Satanism has always existed.
Herr Doktor, Anton Szandor LaVey, was the first ever to codify the religion known today as "Satanism".
The Satanic Bible was the codex.

Were there other reasons for writing TSB?
I would say there undoubtedly were.
If you have read the book, "Fulfillment of the Ego" may come to mind. I think, however, that reasons other than the first are best laid to rest with the good Doctor.
Therefore, I abstain from further speculation.

Hail Doktor LaVey!
Hail Satan!

Olio/Etcetera

Flesh and Bones

“For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can't readily accept the God formula, the big answers don't remain stone-written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command nor faith a dictum. I am my own god. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.”
~ Charles Bukowski

#120412 - 09/02/05 05:04 PM Re: Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible? [Re: Max Rose]
J. Hagalaz Offline

Loc: USA
I think he had a natural sense of justice for mankind and he saw the world as an unjust one. I don't think he wrote TSB to feel good about himself in a "good guy" kind of way. He had an idea, went with it and got amazing results. That must have felt wonderful!

Edited by johnharperjr (09/02/05 05:34 PM)

#120413 - 09/02/05 05:07 PM Re: Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible? [Re: Max Rose]
Max Rose Offline

Are there any books of interviews with Anton LaVey? Or anything in which I could find him talking of his motivations for creating the Satanic Church?

#120414 - 09/02/05 05:13 PM Re: Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible? [Re: Max Rose]
Mr. Obsidian Offline
CoS Warlock

Look for Satanis: the Devil's Mass on DVD.
I purchased my copy at a local Border's Bookstore.
This film is a good starting point.
You might also want to take a look here:
Purging Talon (founded by Magister Paradise)

HS!

Olio/Etcetera

Flesh and Bones

“For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can't readily accept the God formula, the big answers don't remain stone-written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command nor faith a dictum. I am my own god. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.”
~ Charles Bukowski

#120415 - 09/02/05 05:21 PM Re: Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible? [Re: Mr. Obsidian]
Max Rose Offline

Thank you for the tip. Actually While I was writing that last post I remembered there was a Biography about Anton LaVey which I promptly purchased, but I didn't know there was a DVD available. What is it about specifically? What is the main focus. I am probably going to get it regardless but I am just curious.

#120416 - 09/02/05 05:32 PM Re: Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible? [Re: Max Rose]
Mr. Obsidian Offline
CoS Warlock

Quote:

What is it [Satanis] about specifically?

Satanism.

It's everything you never even knew you had thought to expect.
And then some.

Olio/Etcetera

Flesh and Bones

~ Charles Bukowski

#120417 - 09/02/05 05:48 PM Re: Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible? [Re: Max Rose]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
>>I have been finding myself wondering what his purpose
>>might have been for writing the Satanic bible.

Doesn't the preface of the book begin with "This book was written because..."?

>>Are there any books of interviews with Anton LaVey? Or
>>anything in which I could find him talking of his
>>motivations for creating the Satanic Church?

There's a lot of information in both of Magistra Blache Barton's books, Church of Satan and The Secret Life of a Satanist. LaVey also writes some relevant reflections in Satan Speaks. Besides Satanis there is also the biographical film Speak of the Devil.

>>but I didn't know there was a DVD available. What is it
>>about specifically? What is the main focus.

You can read a review of Satanis on the Sinister Screen site. In summary, it's a documentary made in 1968 about the Church of Satan, plus the residents and neighbors of the ol' Black House. Be forewarned though that the DVD released by Something Weird Video includes a bunch of irrelevant, campy horror/occult stuff thrown on as a double feature.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#120418 - 09/02/05 06:01 PM Re: Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible? [Re: Max Rose]
BlackDahlia9 Offline

Loc: Miami, FL
In my personal opinion Dr. LaVey wrote the Satanic Bible and establised the Church of Satan because he was looking for a no-nonsense religion that celebrated man as just another animal and dealt with carnality rather than spirituality and found none. Since there were none he created his own religion based on his ideals. As he once said, he created Satanism because if wouldn't have, probably someone else less qualified would have. "The Secret life of a Satanist" deals in this topic as well as "The Church of Satan" book.

#120419 - 09/02/05 06:01 PM Re: Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible? [Re: Max Rose]
Cholinergic Offline
<B>CoS Member</B>

Loc: UK
I used to ponder this myself and came up with a few theories (only LaVey himself knew the full reasons, though educated guesses can be made):

1.It does satisfy one's ego to found a whole new religion
2.Getting sick of traditional religion leading to the need to find others with similar thoughts - the same motivation that leads most real Satanists to join the CoS

#120420 - 09/02/05 06:35 PM Re: Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible? [Re: Max Rose]
ABZU Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Oregon
Two hundred years from now how many people are going to be discussing you and your motivations for doing what you do?

Church of Satan

"As I have stated, the paradox where more people are "talking" dark forces up, down, and sideways, but fewer than ever are actually living as night people, provokes speculation. The moral here is that when everybody's talking, very few are doing. More time is spent comparing notes with aficionados than in enjoying the hobby per se."
A.S.L. / T.D.N.

#120421 - 09/02/05 07:01 PM because [Re: Max Rose]
Assabrah Offline
CoS Warlock

>>> " I looked through all the grimoires and all I saw was junk" .

This sentence explain many other ones. Monsieur Anton Szandor LaVey has made THE book he never found in his life.

Hail natural born Satanists !

#120422 - 09/02/05 11:49 PM Re: Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible? [Re: Max Rose]
KissFrk3 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: North Dakota
Grab your copy of TSB, turn to page 21 (Preface), and read. Your question shall be answered by the source, Doktor Lavey.

Hail Satan!
Hail Me!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Forum Stats
12023 Members
73 Forums
43831 Topics
405253 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements