Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#120423 - 09/03/05 02:10 AM Re: Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible? [Re: Max Rose]
Vincent Offline
CoS Member

Loc: B.C.
How about this?

It was written as a testament to truth,
an expression of life,
ego fulfillment,
revenge,
and creation.

#120424 - 09/03/05 01:52 PM His answer to you includes this. [Re: Max Rose]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
This offers one answer worth considering.

The Satanic Bible continues to accomplish Dr. LaVey's will in this regard with precision and power.

I do not mean to imply that this was his only motivation, but it certainly is one I can easily understand!

#120425 - 09/03/05 01:57 PM Re: Benevolence and selfishness. [Re: Max Rose]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Have you considered the possiblity that all true benevolence might stem only from selfish motivations?

Even Santa wouldn't come down the chimney if it didn't make him Ho, Ho, Ho!

Quote:

Was it really all about the thought of doing something good for mankind? Was it because it made him feel good about himself? Surely there must have been more to it than that.

What if that is all there ultimately exists behind any motivation - the avoidance of pain and the pursuit of pleasure?

After all, that is how the human nervous system is wired up. You know. Carnal?

#120426 - 09/03/05 02:00 PM Re: Benevolence and selfishness. [Re: Nemo]
Mr. Obsidian Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Ohio

Quote:

Have you considered the possiblity that all true benevolence might stem only from selfish motivations?

Even Santa wouldn't come down the chimney if it didn't make him Ho, Ho, Ho!

I just encountered the strangest feeling of deja vu whilst reading this!

Olio/Etcetera

Flesh and Bones

“For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can't readily accept the God formula, the big answers don't remain stone-written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command nor faith a dictum. I am my own god. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.”
~ Charles Bukowski

#120427 - 09/03/05 02:16 PM Re: Quick aside on deja vu and Santa [Re: Mr. Obsidian]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Well you know the old saw about the dyslexic Satanist who sold his soul to Santa.

Those of us who are slaves to Santa need to remind one and all that he doesn't always just bring gifts.

He often brings justice!

"You better watch out,
You better not cry...."

This relates directly, by the way, to my previous post on this issue here.

#120428 - 09/03/05 03:43 PM Re: Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible? [Re: Max Rose]
Asmedious Offline

From what I have read, he had a circle of acquaintances whom really liked his ideas, and suggested that he writes it. Also the reality is, that at the beginning, I'm sure it was profitable, and there is nothing wrong with making money. Beats the 9-5 drudgery.

#120429 - 09/03/05 05:14 PM Re: Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible? [Re: Max Rose]
G.F.V. Offline
CoS Member

Loc: NYC
In my personal opinion, I think that Anton LaVey wrote The Satanic Bible for a couple of reasons.

1) He wanted to be the first person in history to solidify Satanism as a true "religion".

2) He intended to make some money and gain a great deal of publicity, thus leaving his mark on the world. Keep in mind that in 1967, what he did was viewed as horrifying and repugnant to most of the sheep-like Americans of that time. But it worked to his advantage.

3) He wanted to create some sort of change in the ways people were living their lives. The Satanic Bible allowed those who read it to realize who they truly were (or to drop the book in disgust). Either way, it was quite an eye opener at the time, even more so in this day and age.

Now I may be wrong, but what I mentioned above is at least what I'm thinking.

#120430 - 09/03/05 07:27 PM Re: Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible? [Re: Max Rose]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
Why did he write it? The short anwer is "Because he could!".

Was his intention benevolent? That's a relative concept. What's benevolent for one person may be all the oposite for another. Satanists have benefited from the creation of that great book. But there are a lot of people who wish the book didn't exist. Like psychic vampires and such.

#120431 - 09/03/05 08:23 PM Re: Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible? [Re: Max Rose]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
Once, when asked why he founded the Church of Satan, Dr. LaVey replied that if he did not do it, someone far less qualified would.

I think the same answer would apply to THE SATANIC BIBLE.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
“A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.” -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#120432 - 09/04/05 02:11 PM Re: Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible? [Re: Max Rose]
Barb Offline

CoS Member

Quote:

I can’t really see the use in writing the SB for power. You cannot control a Satanist.

The Satanic Bible was not written to CONTROL anyone.

"Life is the great indulgence-death the great abstinence. Therefore, make the most of life-here and now!" ~Anton Szandor LaVey

"The true test of anyone's worth as a living creature is how much he can utilize what he has." ~Anton Szandor LaVey

"Twenty percent of your priorities will give you 80 percent of your production, IF you spend your time, energy, money, and personnel on the top 20 percent of your priorities." ~The Pareto Principle, as stated by John C. Maxwell

#120433 - 09/04/05 04:55 PM Re: Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible? *DELETED* [Re: Max Rose]
DunkelTeufel Offline

Loc: México D.F.
Greetings

I was wondering, why this, my post, was deleted? Did i do something wrong?...

Edited by DunkelTeufel (09/05/05 07:35 AM)

#120434 - 09/05/05 03:59 PM I didn't see your post... [Re: DunkelTeufel]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

However if you view things as you stated here

Quote:

From my point of view the only opinion that matters is yours, if you want to believe in black and white its fine, if you don´t want to, it´s also fine, don´t expect that everyone agrees with you even if they are other Satanists, just create your own opinion.

then I can understand how that happened.

Satanism isn't "anything goes".

If you post something here that goes too far - such as advocating criminal acts or libeling someone's character - don't be surprised to see it deleted.

There is enormous room here for discussion from a Satanic perspective but this is a civilized place of communication.

There are rules and it is important to follow them.

The Balance Factor always applies.

#120435 - 09/06/05 02:40 AM Re: I didn't see your post... [Re: Nemo]
DunkelTeufel Offline

Loc: México D.F.
Greetings

I didnt stated anything like that in this forum and i must say that when i say that, what you quoted, i was thinking that people here is intelligent enough to understand the balance factor. So don´t worry.

In my last message I just said that reading [title of pseudo-Satanic text deleted] could help to clear this thread. I don´t see why it would be deleted.

Edited by MagisterParadise (09/06/05 03:49 PM)

#120436 - 09/06/05 03:07 AM Re: I didn't see your post either [Re: DunkelTeufel]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.
Quote:

I don´t see why it would be deleted.

I think, Mr. Teufel, that this may very well be the basis
of the problem you are running into.

Edited by RandomStranger (09/06/05 07:17 PM)

#120437 - 09/06/05 03:54 PM Re: Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible? [Re: Max Rose]
chimera Offline

Loc: Sacramento, CA U.S.A.
Blasphemy?
To enjoy Uckingfay with Xtans?
To clarify, even to himself, his philosophy/beliefs?
To let you read the thoughts of The/a Satanist to see if they resonated?
Because he was bored watching the Tap Dancing Monkey??
???

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Forum Stats
12199 Members
73 Forums
43979 Topics
406036 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements