Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#120453 - 10/24/05 01:58 PM Re: Benevolence and selfishness. [Re: Nemo]
Poets Offline

Quote:

Have you considered the possiblity that all true benevolence might stem only from selfish motivations?

Very true. Even supposedly altruistic actions may be considered in the scope of the glory attributed to the benefactor at the very least--not to mention the frequent and myriad strings attached for whatever reason.

I gain a little more respect for Nemo everyday. He obviously has his ducks in line.

#120454 - 10/27/05 08:49 PM Re: Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible? [Re: Max Rose]
Anya Offline

I believe that I can understand why it is that Anton LaVey wrote the SB. False profit..lol Why not? The church has been making money off of "Satan" for so long...His intentions for writing the SB is to inform...like almost any piece of literature. For anyone to follow the book word for word would be just as bad as the X-tians and their bible.
Although I'll have to admit that the SB isn't the best book that Anton has written, it taught me what I wanted to be taught.

#120455 - 10/27/05 10:57 PM Sorry, but you are dead wrong on this. [Re: Anya]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Quote:

For anyone to follow the book word for word would be just as bad as the X-tians and their bible.

For anyone to not follow word for word what the founder of this religion wrote would result in something other than Satanism.

The founder wrote his books for a reason.

Additionally as Satanism is based on the application of doubt and reason, it is ridiculous to compare it to all of the religions based upon faith and feelings.

The belief that "anything goes" in Satanism is simply wrong.

The belief that the founder wrote books that can be ignored is simply wrong.

This religion was codified in writing to prevent misinterpretation.

Anyone who disagrees is welcome to go off and start their own religion but whatever they do it will not be Satanism.

Satanism is a defined religion.

There is no middle ground nor gray area on this issue.

#120456 - 10/28/05 12:13 AM Re: Sorry, but you are dead wrong on this. [Re: Nemo]
CWH Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

For anyone to not follow word for word what the founder of this religion wrote would result in something other than Satanism.

The founder wrote his books for a reason.

Additionally as Satanism is based on the application of doubt and reason, it is ridiculous to compare it to all of the religions based upon faith and feelings.

The belief that "anything goes" in Satanism is simply wrong.

The belief that the founder wrote books that can be ignored is simply wrong.

This religion was codified in writing to prevent misinterpretation.

Anyone who disagrees is welcome to go off and start their own religion but whatever they do it will not be Satanism.

Satanism is a defined religion.

There is no middle ground nor gray area on this issue.

This statement is beautiful, Magister.

Thank you!

#120457 - 10/28/05 10:54 AM Re: Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible? [Re: Max Rose]
Rev_Malebranche Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: Oregon
I'm going to go ahead and lock this, because I think the original question has been thoroughly discussed to everyone's satisfaction.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Forum Stats
12164 Members
73 Forums
43923 Topics
405751 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements