Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#120408 - 09/02/05 04:18 PM Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible?
Max Rose Offline

Something that I have been thinking a great deal about lately is Anton LaVey's connection to the Satanic Bible. I have been finding myself wondering what his purpose might have been for writing the Satanic bible. Sometimes I feel like it doesn’t make sense for the Satanic Bible to exist. I am not sure that even if I was capable of communicating idea's as well as Anton was able to that I would have ever bothered to write a book like the SB.

I can’t really see the use in writing the SB for power. You cannot control a Satanist. If you wanted power you certainly wouldn’t be trying to appeal to the minds of intellectuals. Furthermore the Church is not really much of a profitable enterprise when the only fee’s imposed for membership are the entry fees. So for the most part that idea seems like a dead end.

I also don’t imagine that Anton had any benevolent purposes in mind either. While the thought of Anton being a man with a heart big enough to want to see success and prosperity for the human race is a touching, I don’t really see it as being a very realistic idea. I don’t believe the man who said “Satan represents kindness to those who deserve it instead of love wasted on ingrates!” intended to save the world. Infact I don't imagine that he was the kind of person who would waste a minute of his time on helping people he doesn't even know.

So I ask then, if the intentions weren’t necessarily selfish, or benevolent, then what might they have been? I am curious as to what others may think.

Edited by TheGreenGroove (09/02/05 04:28 PM)

#120409 - 09/02/05 04:28 PM Re: Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible? [Re: Max Rose]
J. Hagalaz Offline

Loc: USA
I think that Dr. LaVey knew that there were "others" out there and The Satanic Bible was his way of reaching out to them. It wasn't charity. He saw the need for this religion to exist.

Now it does, and aren't you glad?

I also don’t imagine that Anton had any benevolent purposes in mind either.

Are you suggesting here that a Satanist can't have love and respect for the world around him? You think that Dr. LaVey didn't have it in him to want a better world to live in?

Edited by johnharperjr (09/02/05 04:34 PM)

#120410 - 09/02/05 04:42 PM Re: Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible? [Re: J. Hagalaz]
Max Rose Offline

No, all that I am saying is that there is no such thing as benevolence. Everyone's actions are ultimately selfish. Why would you bother wasting your time on the rest of humanity when you can focus on your own world? I love the people that I love, but I couldn't care less about bob from australia who works as a dumptruck driver. I love the people that I love because they bring me joy. That is ultimately selfish, and I am okay with that.

I don't feel like the answer "He saw that it needed to be, and it was" quite explains his motivations either. That seems to be a generally excepted concept, but what was it that he saw that made him feel like it needed to be. Why would he care in the slightest about other satanists just because they exist. What does he get out of it? That is certainly the question that I am asking when I am making a choice. Was it really all about the thought of doing something good for mankind? Was it because it made him feel good about himself? Surely there must have been more to it than that.

Edited by TheGreenGroove (09/02/05 04:54 PM)

#120411 - 09/02/05 04:53 PM Come together, right now.... over Satan. [Re: Max Rose]
Mr. Obsidian Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Ohio
Quote:

So I ask then, if the intentions weren’t necessarily selfish, or benevolent, then what might they have been?

A necessity to coalesce the various aspects of life, which have always existed, but were never before accurately defined as "Satanism".
This is why you see ideas that might parallel other great thinkers, such as Nietchze.
This is why certain historical figures are referred to as "defacto Satanists".
Satanism has always existed.
Herr Doktor, Anton Szandor LaVey, was the first ever to codify the religion known today as "Satanism".
The Satanic Bible was the codex.

Were there other reasons for writing TSB?
I would say there undoubtedly were.
If you have read the book, "Fulfillment of the Ego" may come to mind. I think, however, that reasons other than the first are best laid to rest with the good Doctor.
Therefore, I abstain from further speculation.

Hail Doktor LaVey!
Hail Satan!

Olio/Etcetera

Flesh and Bones

“For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can't readily accept the God formula, the big answers don't remain stone-written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command nor faith a dictum. I am my own god. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.”
~ Charles Bukowski

#120412 - 09/02/05 05:04 PM Re: Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible? [Re: Max Rose]
J. Hagalaz Offline

Loc: USA
I think he had a natural sense of justice for mankind and he saw the world as an unjust one. I don't think he wrote TSB to feel good about himself in a "good guy" kind of way. He had an idea, went with it and got amazing results. That must have felt wonderful!

Edited by johnharperjr (09/02/05 05:34 PM)

#120413 - 09/02/05 05:07 PM Re: Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible? [Re: Max Rose]
Max Rose Offline

Are there any books of interviews with Anton LaVey? Or anything in which I could find him talking of his motivations for creating the Satanic Church?

#120414 - 09/02/05 05:13 PM Re: Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible? [Re: Max Rose]
Mr. Obsidian Offline
CoS Warlock

Look for Satanis: the Devil's Mass on DVD.
I purchased my copy at a local Border's Bookstore.
This film is a good starting point.
You might also want to take a look here:
Purging Talon (founded by Magister Paradise)

HS!

Olio/Etcetera

Flesh and Bones

“For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can't readily accept the God formula, the big answers don't remain stone-written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command nor faith a dictum. I am my own god. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.”
~ Charles Bukowski

#120415 - 09/02/05 05:21 PM Re: Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible? [Re: Mr. Obsidian]
Max Rose Offline

Thank you for the tip. Actually While I was writing that last post I remembered there was a Biography about Anton LaVey which I promptly purchased, but I didn't know there was a DVD available. What is it about specifically? What is the main focus. I am probably going to get it regardless but I am just curious.

#120416 - 09/02/05 05:32 PM Re: Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible? [Re: Max Rose]
Mr. Obsidian Offline
CoS Warlock

Quote:

What is it [Satanis] about specifically?

Satanism.

It's everything you never even knew you had thought to expect.
And then some.

Olio/Etcetera

Flesh and Bones

~ Charles Bukowski

#120417 - 09/02/05 05:48 PM Re: Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible? [Re: Max Rose]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
>>I have been finding myself wondering what his purpose
>>might have been for writing the Satanic bible.

Doesn't the preface of the book begin with "This book was written because..."?

>>Are there any books of interviews with Anton LaVey? Or
>>anything in which I could find him talking of his
>>motivations for creating the Satanic Church?

There's a lot of information in both of Magistra Blache Barton's books, Church of Satan and The Secret Life of a Satanist. LaVey also writes some relevant reflections in Satan Speaks. Besides Satanis there is also the biographical film Speak of the Devil.

>>but I didn't know there was a DVD available. What is it
>>about specifically? What is the main focus.

You can read a review of Satanis on the Sinister Screen site. In summary, it's a documentary made in 1968 about the Church of Satan, plus the residents and neighbors of the ol' Black House. Be forewarned though that the DVD released by Something Weird Video includes a bunch of irrelevant, campy horror/occult stuff thrown on as a double feature.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#120418 - 09/02/05 06:01 PM Re: Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible? [Re: Max Rose]
BlackDahlia9 Offline

Loc: Miami, FL
In my personal opinion Dr. LaVey wrote the Satanic Bible and establised the Church of Satan because he was looking for a no-nonsense religion that celebrated man as just another animal and dealt with carnality rather than spirituality and found none. Since there were none he created his own religion based on his ideals. As he once said, he created Satanism because if wouldn't have, probably someone else less qualified would have. "The Secret life of a Satanist" deals in this topic as well as "The Church of Satan" book.

#120419 - 09/02/05 06:01 PM Re: Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible? [Re: Max Rose]
Cholinergic Offline
<B>CoS Member</B>

Loc: UK
I used to ponder this myself and came up with a few theories (only LaVey himself knew the full reasons, though educated guesses can be made):

1.It does satisfy one's ego to found a whole new religion
2.Getting sick of traditional religion leading to the need to find others with similar thoughts - the same motivation that leads most real Satanists to join the CoS

#120420 - 09/02/05 06:35 PM Re: Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible? [Re: Max Rose]
ABZU Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Oregon
Two hundred years from now how many people are going to be discussing you and your motivations for doing what you do?

Church of Satan

"As I have stated, the paradox where more people are "talking" dark forces up, down, and sideways, but fewer than ever are actually living as night people, provokes speculation. The moral here is that when everybody's talking, very few are doing. More time is spent comparing notes with aficionados than in enjoying the hobby per se."
A.S.L. / T.D.N.

#120421 - 09/02/05 07:01 PM because [Re: Max Rose]
Assabrah Offline
CoS Warlock

>>> " I looked through all the grimoires and all I saw was junk" .

This sentence explain many other ones. Monsieur Anton Szandor LaVey has made THE book he never found in his life.

Hail natural born Satanists !

#120422 - 09/02/05 11:49 PM Re: Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible? [Re: Max Rose]
KissFrk3 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: North Dakota
Grab your copy of TSB, turn to page 21 (Preface), and read. Your question shall be answered by the source, Doktor Lavey.

Hail Satan!
Hail Me!

#120423 - 09/03/05 02:10 AM Re: Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible? [Re: Max Rose]
Vincent Offline
CoS Member

Loc: B.C.
How about this?

It was written as a testament to truth,
an expression of life,
ego fulfillment,
revenge,
and creation.

#120424 - 09/03/05 01:52 PM His answer to you includes this. [Re: Max Rose]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
This offers one answer worth considering.

The Satanic Bible continues to accomplish Dr. LaVey's will in this regard with precision and power.

I do not mean to imply that this was his only motivation, but it certainly is one I can easily understand!

#120425 - 09/03/05 01:57 PM Re: Benevolence and selfishness. [Re: Max Rose]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Have you considered the possiblity that all true benevolence might stem only from selfish motivations?

Even Santa wouldn't come down the chimney if it didn't make him Ho, Ho, Ho!

Quote:

Was it really all about the thought of doing something good for mankind? Was it because it made him feel good about himself? Surely there must have been more to it than that.

What if that is all there ultimately exists behind any motivation - the avoidance of pain and the pursuit of pleasure?

After all, that is how the human nervous system is wired up. You know. Carnal?

#120426 - 09/03/05 02:00 PM Re: Benevolence and selfishness. [Re: Nemo]
Mr. Obsidian Offline
CoS Warlock

Quote:

Have you considered the possiblity that all true benevolence might stem only from selfish motivations?

Even Santa wouldn't come down the chimney if it didn't make him Ho, Ho, Ho!

I just encountered the strangest feeling of deja vu whilst reading this!

Olio/Etcetera

Flesh and Bones

~ Charles Bukowski

#120427 - 09/03/05 02:16 PM Re: Quick aside on deja vu and Santa [Re: Mr. Obsidian]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Well you know the old saw about the dyslexic Satanist who sold his soul to Santa.

Those of us who are slaves to Santa need to remind one and all that he doesn't always just bring gifts.

He often brings justice!

"You better watch out,
You better not cry...."

This relates directly, by the way, to my previous post on this issue here.

#120428 - 09/03/05 03:43 PM Re: Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible? [Re: Max Rose]
Asmedious Offline

From what I have read, he had a circle of acquaintances whom really liked his ideas, and suggested that he writes it. Also the reality is, that at the beginning, I'm sure it was profitable, and there is nothing wrong with making money. Beats the 9-5 drudgery.

#120429 - 09/03/05 05:14 PM Re: Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible? [Re: Max Rose]
G.F.V. Offline
CoS Member

Loc: NYC
In my personal opinion, I think that Anton LaVey wrote The Satanic Bible for a couple of reasons.

1) He wanted to be the first person in history to solidify Satanism as a true "religion".

2) He intended to make some money and gain a great deal of publicity, thus leaving his mark on the world. Keep in mind that in 1967, what he did was viewed as horrifying and repugnant to most of the sheep-like Americans of that time. But it worked to his advantage.

3) He wanted to create some sort of change in the ways people were living their lives. The Satanic Bible allowed those who read it to realize who they truly were (or to drop the book in disgust). Either way, it was quite an eye opener at the time, even more so in this day and age.

Now I may be wrong, but what I mentioned above is at least what I'm thinking.

#120430 - 09/03/05 07:27 PM Re: Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible? [Re: Max Rose]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
Why did he write it? The short anwer is "Because he could!".

Was his intention benevolent? That's a relative concept. What's benevolent for one person may be all the oposite for another. Satanists have benefited from the creation of that great book. But there are a lot of people who wish the book didn't exist. Like psychic vampires and such.

#120431 - 09/03/05 08:23 PM Re: Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible? [Re: Max Rose]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
Once, when asked why he founded the Church of Satan, Dr. LaVey replied that if he did not do it, someone far less qualified would.

I think the same answer would apply to THE SATANIC BIBLE.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
“A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.” -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#120432 - 09/04/05 02:11 PM Re: Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible? [Re: Max Rose]
Barb Offline

CoS Member

Quote:

I can’t really see the use in writing the SB for power. You cannot control a Satanist.

The Satanic Bible was not written to CONTROL anyone.

"Life is the great indulgence-death the great abstinence. Therefore, make the most of life-here and now!" ~Anton Szandor LaVey

"The true test of anyone's worth as a living creature is how much he can utilize what he has." ~Anton Szandor LaVey

"Twenty percent of your priorities will give you 80 percent of your production, IF you spend your time, energy, money, and personnel on the top 20 percent of your priorities." ~The Pareto Principle, as stated by John C. Maxwell

#120433 - 09/04/05 04:55 PM Re: Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible? *DELETED* [Re: Max Rose]
DunkelTeufel Offline

Loc: México D.F.
Greetings

I was wondering, why this, my post, was deleted? Did i do something wrong?...

Edited by DunkelTeufel (09/05/05 07:35 AM)

#120434 - 09/05/05 03:59 PM I didn't see your post... [Re: DunkelTeufel]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

However if you view things as you stated here

Quote:

From my point of view the only opinion that matters is yours, if you want to believe in black and white its fine, if you don´t want to, it´s also fine, don´t expect that everyone agrees with you even if they are other Satanists, just create your own opinion.

then I can understand how that happened.

Satanism isn't "anything goes".

If you post something here that goes too far - such as advocating criminal acts or libeling someone's character - don't be surprised to see it deleted.

There is enormous room here for discussion from a Satanic perspective but this is a civilized place of communication.

There are rules and it is important to follow them.

The Balance Factor always applies.

#120435 - 09/06/05 02:40 AM Re: I didn't see your post... [Re: Nemo]
DunkelTeufel Offline

Greetings

I didnt stated anything like that in this forum and i must say that when i say that, what you quoted, i was thinking that people here is intelligent enough to understand the balance factor. So don´t worry.

In my last message I just said that reading [title of pseudo-Satanic text deleted] could help to clear this thread. I don´t see why it would be deleted.

Edited by MagisterParadise (09/06/05 03:49 PM)

#120436 - 09/06/05 03:07 AM Re: I didn't see your post either [Re: DunkelTeufel]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.
Quote:

I don´t see why it would be deleted.

I think, Mr. Teufel, that this may very well be the basis
of the problem you are running into.

Edited by RandomStranger (09/06/05 07:17 PM)

#120437 - 09/06/05 03:54 PM Re: Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible? [Re: Max Rose]
chimera Offline

Loc: Sacramento, CA U.S.A.
Blasphemy?
To enjoy Uckingfay with Xtans?
To clarify, even to himself, his philosophy/beliefs?
To let you read the thoughts of The/a Satanist to see if they resonated?
Because he was bored watching the Tap Dancing Monkey??
???

#120438 - 09/06/05 04:09 PM Re: Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible? [Re: chimera]
CWH Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

Blasphemy?
To enjoy Uckingfay with Xtans?
To clarify, even to himself, his philosophy/beliefs?
To let you read the thoughts of The/a Satanist to see if they resonated?
Because he was bored watching the Tap Dancing Monkey??
???

Those are my five tops reasons for anything I ever do.

#120439 - 09/06/05 05:17 PM Re: Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible? [Re: Max Rose]
Stev2 Offline

I think it was written because it is something that humanity needed after a collective ritualization of mental masturbation and non-sense for an un-needed collection of years (*yawn*). It bascially cleared the stage for stronger thought hence a better world. Besides-"The Satanic Bible", I think that speaks for itself. Dr. LaVey was the appointed man to do this and was born into that blessing as an anti-hero. Everything happens for a reason.

It also serves as a great foundation for an organization that is The Church of Satan. Which humanity at large would benefit from.

It is just part of Santa's plan.

#120440 - 09/06/05 06:45 PM Re: Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible? [Re: Stev2]
UmbraeNoctem Offline
Banned

Loc: Barksdale AFB, Louisiana, USA
Quote:

Everything happens for a reason.

Can you elaborate on this?

Alien Elite.
Test Everything. Believe Nothing.

#120441 - 09/06/05 07:25 PM Re: Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible? [Re: UmbraeNoctem]
Mr. Obsidian Offline
CoS Warlock

Quote:

Quote:

Everything happens for a reason.

Can you elaborate on this?

I am curious to hear an elaboration on this as well.
Are you referring to the philosophical concept of "cosmos" -
e.g. Thalo's proposals?

Or, perhaps Synchronicity - will to power, etc.?

HS!

Olio/Etcetera

Flesh and Bones

~ Charles Bukowski

#120442 - 09/06/05 09:01 PM Re: Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible? [Re: Max Rose]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
Magister Nemo and Rev. Svengali have both given pieces of the puzzle. But your whole question is hung up in false dichotomies.

It's also worth remembering that, from what I understand of the circumstances surrounding the SB's publication: the Church of Satan existed before the Satanic Bible did, by a couple of years. An associate recommended LaVey write a Bible on the assumption that it would have a mass audience already waiting for it -- especially people who had been following the activities of the nascent Church already, either because it piqued their curiosity or for more prurient reasons. Basically the Doktor was guaranteed great royalties if he made something that was accessible to the layman, that was salacious, and that defied expectation just enough and in just the right way to make people pass it along. So there was a clear revenue incentive.

Does that mean the book is insincere? Of course not.

Your question assumes that either you exploit people, or you are a sucker. That either you change the world for direct material gain, or you do it for some lame Good Guy reason. Either you know someone deserves kindness, or you treat them as an ingrate. That power means insincerity. That elitism means keeping to yourself.

Above all I think you're failing to see the "third side". This "power" vs. "benevolent" stuff, you have to get over that.

If you think the elitism espoused in the SB is exclusive with a general compassion for the frustrated Everyman, you need to read the book again. (Who do you think the "elite" is, anyway?!) If you think the scope of the Complete Environment is limited to interior design, you need to rethink that. (Can it include your culture?) And if you don't understand the difference between an aristocrat's taking and an artist's giving as different kinds of elitist relationship with the masses, I'd urge you to consider it.

Just a thought. Those who had the honor and privilege of knowing him might correct me if I'm on the wrong track.

#120443 - 09/07/05 08:16 PM Re: I didn't see your post... [Re: DunkelTeufel]
DunkelTeufel Offline

OOHHHH now i get it... hahahahahahahahaahahahhahahahahahahahahaha... oh well... I don´t know if laugh or cry...

#120444 - 09/08/05 11:35 PM Actualization! [Re: Max Rose]
HLGwyn Offline

Loc: Colorado
The Satanic Bible is the synthesis of many sources, consisting of an amalgam of bedrock philosophy, reactionary indignation and magical actualization.

The Satanic Bible contains mountainous upheavals of rage coupled with lascivious lust and emotional compassion…and it served the purely selfish desire of the man who wrote it. Most people think of magic and ritual as being a thirty minute exercise with one concise end that justifies the means, but if those same people were to consider that being a magician extends beyond the dim, smoky ritual chamber and the limited time of a half hour to exert the Will…they might understand just what Anton LaVey accomplished.

Anton LaVey established his immortality within those pages.

“Ask not what Satanism can do for you, instead ask what you can do for Satanism…then do it…the rest will naturally fall into place.” That is my take on what Anton LaVey was swirling around in his gray matter as he scanned the archives of history and cast his unfaltering gaze out into his contemporary surroundings. Sure, he might have gained notoriety for founding the Church of Satan, yet he did not rest on a moment of fame alone. He endeavored to triumph in spades!

I doubt if he gave much concern as to whether other Satanists would “compel” themselves to fall in line with the wisdom he manifested, realizing instead that those who are, would do so regardless of his work! I do not think that his compassion extended a hand to help as much as a banner to rally around, a shield to defend with and a sword to slash and poke with. Some passages in the Satanic Bible call for the scales to fall from the eyes, but that is more of an “atta-boy” to those with the predisposition rather than a call for the world to fall in place. I am fairly certain that the adage about teaching pigs to dance would interject nicely at this point.

To sum up my above opinions, Anton LaVey wrote the Satanic Bible to smash hypocrisy a good one in the nose, knowing it is an anemic and a hemophiliac. He did not want to change the entire world all at once rather he created his standard and left it for the world to do with as it will…the rest will take care of itself. His Will was done.

So Mote It Be!

#120445 - 09/11/05 06:33 PM Re: Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible? [Re: UmbraeNoctem]
Stev2 Offline

That falls into questions like: "why are we here?"

We can observe events and how they came to fruition but it's not always easy to find the root of origin of such queries.

I think things start to get "miraculous" or "magical" when our carnal minds can't trace back to a birth of something important or to a pivotal point of a grand and elaborate scheme. Kind of like reality folded on itself and we can't see the reasons behind why things happened- a naturally occuring stage trick.

There is a logical reason for everything.

"It's all in the mind"
-Yellow Submarine

#120446 - 10/23/05 01:31 PM I was in error with regard to your intentions. [Re: Max Rose]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

I was going to post this in reply to my posting here but the thread was closed.

As I mentioned this thread there, I decided this would be the best place to state my error in my judgement of your intentions.

Just recently you met with other members of the Church and I was kindly informed that my negative perception of your intentions were in error.

I trust the judgement of a few and when they meet someone in person I trust their judgement even more - and certainly more than what I can determine in this one-dimensional medium!

I therefore apologize to you here, in public, for drawing the wrong conclusion with regard to the intent behind the kinds of questions and topics you have been posting here.

I can only assume that as a consequence of your meeting with at least one Church official you probably will find that your own concerns have been greatly reduced.

We really are what we claim to be.

Now you are probably discovering this to be true.

Sincerely,

Nemo

#120447 - 10/23/05 04:46 PM Re: I was in error with regard to your intentions. [Re: Nemo]
BlackPhilosopher Offline

Loc: A nordic place draped in snow
Well, this guy has certainly show how he is able to doubt everything and how many on this board were up to defend the Doktor Lavey and the COS. My only problem with the locked thread is that his attitude was certainly one of someone who doubt only for the fun of doubting. But if he did the effort to meet COS official representative, maybe he was serious.

#120448 - 10/23/05 06:46 PM Re: I was in error with regard to your intentions. [Re: BlackPhilosopher]
Rev_Malebranche Offline
CoS Reverend

Quote:

But if he did the effort to meet COS official representative, maybe he was serious.

He was serious. He asked, and his questions were answered to his satisfaction. And that's really all that needs to be said on the matter.

#120449 - 10/23/05 07:06 PM Re: I was in error with regard to your intentions. [Re: Rev_Malebranche]
BlackPhilosopher Offline

Loc: A nordic place draped in snow
Quote:

He was serious. He asked, and his questions were answered to his satisfaction. And that's really all that needs to be said on the matter.

So let it be.

#120450 - 10/24/05 03:15 AM Re: I was in error with regard to your intentions. [Re: Rev_Malebranche]
Tex_Talionis Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Amarillo, TX
I'd just like to say that this response, the two threads, and Magister Nemo's apology go to show that those with a true sense of pride and good ego _can_ admit when they are mistaken; as well as proves yet again that the COS is an orginization with upstanding individuals and THE REAL DEAL.
Citizen Infernal Empire
Test Everything.

"We live in deeds not years.
You can be what you will to be."
-General George S. Patton

"The things that come to those who wait may be things left by those who got there first!"

#120451 - 10/24/05 11:01 AM Re: I was in error with regard to your intentions. [Re: Tex_Talionis]
Rev_Malebranche Offline
CoS Reverend

I agree completely.

#120452 - 10/24/05 11:48 AM Re: I was in error with regard to your intentions. [Re: Nemo]
Max Rose Offline

That's really okay Magister Nemo. I am really just glad to be finally convinced to the core of who I am and what I have found. I agree that this text form of communication is extremly limited in conveying expression, and since so much of communication comes from the way it is communicated, it is perfectly understanble how misunderstandings can occur.

Yes, the CoS really is the real deal!

HAIL SATAN

#120453 - 10/24/05 01:58 PM Re: Benevolence and selfishness. [Re: Nemo]
Poets Offline

Quote:

Very true. Even supposedly altruistic actions may be considered in the scope of the glory attributed to the benefactor at the very least--not to mention the frequent and myriad strings attached for whatever reason.

I gain a little more respect for Nemo everyday. He obviously has his ducks in line.

#120454 - 10/27/05 08:49 PM Re: Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible? [Re: Max Rose]
Anya Offline

I believe that I can understand why it is that Anton LaVey wrote the SB. False profit..lol Why not? The church has been making money off of "Satan" for so long...His intentions for writing the SB is to inform...like almost any piece of literature. For anyone to follow the book word for word would be just as bad as the X-tians and their bible.
Although I'll have to admit that the SB isn't the best book that Anton has written, it taught me what I wanted to be taught.

#120455 - 10/27/05 10:57 PM Sorry, but you are dead wrong on this. [Re: Anya]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Quote:

For anyone to follow the book word for word would be just as bad as the X-tians and their bible.

For anyone to not follow word for word what the founder of this religion wrote would result in something other than Satanism.

The founder wrote his books for a reason.

Additionally as Satanism is based on the application of doubt and reason, it is ridiculous to compare it to all of the religions based upon faith and feelings.

The belief that "anything goes" in Satanism is simply wrong.

The belief that the founder wrote books that can be ignored is simply wrong.

This religion was codified in writing to prevent misinterpretation.

Anyone who disagrees is welcome to go off and start their own religion but whatever they do it will not be Satanism.

Satanism is a defined religion.

There is no middle ground nor gray area on this issue.

#120456 - 10/28/05 12:13 AM Re: Sorry, but you are dead wrong on this. [Re: Nemo]
CWH Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

For anyone to not follow word for word what the founder of this religion wrote would result in something other than Satanism.

The founder wrote his books for a reason.

Additionally as Satanism is based on the application of doubt and reason, it is ridiculous to compare it to all of the religions based upon faith and feelings.

The belief that "anything goes" in Satanism is simply wrong.

The belief that the founder wrote books that can be ignored is simply wrong.

This religion was codified in writing to prevent misinterpretation.

Anyone who disagrees is welcome to go off and start their own religion but whatever they do it will not be Satanism.

Satanism is a defined religion.

There is no middle ground nor gray area on this issue.

This statement is beautiful, Magister.

Thank you!

#120457 - 10/28/05 10:54 AM Re: Why did Anton LaVey write the Satanic Bible? [Re: Max Rose]
Rev_Malebranche Offline
CoS Reverend

I'm going to go ahead and lock this, because I think the original question has been thoroughly discussed to everyone's satisfaction.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Forum Stats
12218 Members
73 Forums
43998 Topics
406132 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements