Topic Options
#120889 - 09/09/05 09:38 AM Scotland Anyone?
crystalclear Offline

CoS Member

Loc: VA
I soon will be taking a trip to Scotland for my Dads' marriage ceremony. My daughter and I will be on our own for a bit, so I wondered if anyone had suggestions on places to visit in the southern part of Scotland; around Glasgow and such. I have found a few places online, but thought first-hand knowledge would be better. Being a lover of fine food, are there any restaurants anyone would recommend? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I hear it is beautiful there. Can't wait to go!

HS!

"The important thing is not what they think of me, but what I think of them" Queen Victoria

#120890 - 09/09/05 10:49 AM Re: Scotland Anyone? [Re: crystalclear]
Griffin Offline

Loc: Long Island
When are you leaving? I have some Scotland connections and I will find out what some of the best places to go are, but I gotta wait until after the weekend because they don't have e-mail and I won't see them again until Monday.

#120891 - 09/09/05 12:55 PM Re: Scotland Anyone? [Re: Griffin]
crystalclear Offline

CoS Member

Thank you Griffin. I won't be leaving until November, but wanted to get this planned out beforehand. A friend gave me a great link on haunted castles. A few of those are close to where we are going. As I stated I have found a few other places online, but firsthand knowledge is better. Again, thanks!

HS!

"The important thing is not what they think of me, but what I think of them" Queen Victoria

#120892 - 09/09/05 04:00 PM Re: Scotland Anyone? [Re: crystalclear]
Griffin Offline

Loc: Long Island
Quote:

Thank you Griffin. I won't be leaving until November, but wanted to get this planned out beforehand. A friend gave me a great link on haunted castles. A few of those are close to where we are going. As I stated I have found a few other places online, but firsthand knowledge is better. Again, thanks!

HS!

It's always better. Some teammates of mine played over in Scotland a few times and one of them just got married there a few weeks ago, so he knows what the score is.

I'll ask him tomorrow and post it sometime Sunday.

#120893 - 09/09/05 04:15 PM Re: Scotland Anyone? [Re: crystalclear]
BlameMe Offline

Loc: Scotland
Gutted. I live in the north east, about 150 miles from Glasgae (yes, thats how we pronounce it...) I go to Glasgow lots though, mostly for shows, so all I know is bars and clubs!

George Square is nice to spend a hungover morning sitting in the sun. However, the weather has gone a bit shit over here (raining... GET USED TO IT!) and so I wouldn't recommend it.

Watch out for NEDs and anyone in celtic/rangers football shirts, especially if they're late teens/ early twenties. If theres an old firm match on, they'll be spoiling for a fight.

13th note is a good bar, just so you know... Bars. Thats about all I'm good for!!!

#120894 - 09/09/05 06:29 PM Re: Scotland Anyone? [Re: crystalclear]
Entity Offline

CoS Reverend

Loc: Avalon UK
Quote:

Being a lover of fine food, are there any restaurants anyone would recommend?

Alas, Gordon Ramsay (of Hell's Kitchen fame) sold 'Amaryllis', his Michelin star restaurant a short while ago. That would have been my first choice.

Classic cuisine which incorporates local ingredients can still be found at these two restaurants :

http://www.bestglasgowrestaurants.com/restaurants/?chardon

http://www.bestglasgowrestaurants.com/restaurants/?camerons

You might also enjoy local delicacies such as haggis, stovies with oatcakes, Forfar bridie (meat pie) and the utterly gorgeous 'butteries', also known as 'rowies' or 'morning rolls'. Rowies are flat discs of bread with a taste similar to croissants, except with more fat and butter, (to keep the cold at bay, of course )

One rowie, heavily spread with butter can provide the recommended daily allowance of calories for an average person. You might find that rowies are not that common in Glasgow - they are more prevalent in BlameMe's neck of the woods over on the North East side. However, if you can get them, especially fresh from the baker at 4 in the morning, then indulgence is highly recommended.

And if you enjoy whiskey, you will also be close enough to the isle of Islay that you could fly or take a rough ferry ride over to taste some of the world's finest single malts...

If your dad's wedding is a typical Scottish one, then large, hairy men in dresses will be flashing their arse tattoos (and much else besides) whilst dancing jigs. Fights are usual, and encouraged.

Enjoy!

Hail Satan!

~ DE

Nothing is better than to live according to one's taste. - François Villon

Test Everything. Believe Nothing.

#120895 - 09/09/05 06:32 PM Re: Scotland Anyone? [Re: BlameMe]
crystalclear Offline

CoS Member

BlameMe,
Yes, my Dad told me about the rain. I have a really good umbrella. Luckily for me I won't melt! And avoid young men in celtic/rangers football shirts, eh? Well, they don't fight with ladies do they? With my daughter I doubt we will be hanging out in pubs or out late at nite. However, thanks for the bar tips so if we get the urge for a nip!

HS!

#120896 - 09/09/05 07:20 PM Re: Scotland Anyone? [Re: crystalclear]
the_poison_elf Offline

Loc: Auburn, Maine, USA
I would reccoment taking a look/post at Craigslist , as it can be a decent source of at-the-minute information on a location. Be warned, there are more than a few sections of the place you have to take with a couple grains for salt.

#120897 - 09/09/05 08:16 PM Re: Scotland Anyone? [Re: Entity]
crystalclear Offline

CoS Member

Warlock Discarnate_Entity, now my mouth is watering from looking at the page on Camerons. YUM! Thanks for the links. And the rowies sound good too.

Quote:

If your dad's wedding is a typical Scottish one, then large, hairy men in dresses will be flashing their arse tattoos (and much else besides) whilst dancing jigs. Fights are usual, and encouraged.

Now, that is a sight I have always wanted to see!
Thank you again.

HS!

#120898 - 09/09/05 08:48 PM If you have the time... [Re: crystalclear]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
A train trip to Edinburgh opens the door to the castle with the Royal Honors (crowns, sceptres, etc.) as well as such treats as the authentic physical origin of the Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde tale. Evening "ghost walks" are a common tourist attraction. John Knox' famous Kirk is a must see in my opinion.

Just South is the famous Rosslyn Chapel which has spawned more conspiracy theories than anywhere else outside the Vatican.

One warning. Don't drink the pink carbonated mixer. It does taste exactly like bubble gum.

#120899 - 09/10/05 09:40 AM Re: If you have the time... [Re: Nemo]
crystalclear Offline

CoS Member

Many thanks Magister Nemo. I appreciate the info on the train trip. My daughter is now very excited and ready to book a ride! I am very grateful to you and the others for all the suggestions. I'm sure we will have a great trip with lots to do! And I will definately avoid the pink beverages!

HS!

#120900 - 09/10/05 11:52 AM Re: If you have the time... [Re: Nemo]
BlameMe Offline

Quote:

Edinborough

*wince*

aaaah! Edinburgh...

#120901 - 09/10/05 12:43 PM Thank you. [Re: BlameMe]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Thank you pointing out my spelling error. I have edited it.

One does not wish to in any way insult those from Edinburgh.

However I stand by the simple truth that merely traveling through Wales will permanently destroy one's ability to spell and that the so called Scottish "brogue" is nothing more than slowly spoken Japanese!

#120902 - 09/10/05 04:57 PM Re: Thank you. [Re: Nemo]
Wile_E_Quixote Offline
CoS Member

You mean simple words like Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch are beyond you?

#120903 - 09/10/05 05:38 PM Re: Thank you. [Re: Wile_E_Quixote]
BlameMe Offline

Isn't that officially the longest place name EVER?

Forum Stats
12013 Members
73 Forums
43824 Topics
405205 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements