Topic Options
#122231 - 09/18/05 06:43 AM Satanism Vs. The Adversary
claw Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
My partner and I are sitting down to a Television show that features a Pagan Woman as the Lead Character. She claims to be a Witch and what not. It's a cheap Televisioned thrill for a Sunday night.

You know the Story: A solitary Witch goes to a small town where she is persecuted and tried by the un-enlightened town people.

Anyway, there was a scene where the local priest is comforting a panic-stricken christian woman, who, fearing the worst, cries her little heart out about the retribution of the 'evil' witch.

The Priest turns around and says " Don't worry, She's a Pagan, not a Satanist."

The thing that struck me was that my Partner even released a pissed off grunt at hearing such an offensive and ill-received statement.

My partner is a Witch, self styled and quite good at what she does. She isn't exactly a fan of the Satanic Philosophy, but she still understands the importance of acceptance.

Now, has anybody been, proverbially or literally, spat in the face by somebody of lesser understanding, only to rise up and gain the ground that you deserve?

Now it doesn't have to be much. Maybe you confounded some stupid ingrate with your diverse knowledge. Perhaps you tricked some fool with your wit.

I must admit that i 'win' a lot of conversations about 'opening your eyes' to the world. I like to make sure that i help my friends and any aquaintence i meet on the street to grow into a strong person by just using their damned brain for a second.

So, let it rip.

#122232 - 09/18/05 08:11 AM Re: Satanism Vs. The Adversary [Re: claw]
uncleherpe Offline

why would I waste time on people like that? Only a few special people inspire me to hate them completely.

I have learned to expect that most people have opinions on things they know nothing about, and generally are stupid. Sure beats being angry at everyone all the time.

There are certain things that just about everyone believes that are not true(recycling is good! aa works! etc) it cant be helped and without a huge audience- 'winning' conversations isnt going to do a bit of good as far as that goes. I could speak up and make others look stupid all the time, but I prefer to be well liked and enjoy my time around the herd.

#122233 - 09/18/05 02:29 PM Re: Satanism Vs. The Adversary [Re: claw]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.
Quote:

" Don't worry, She's a Pagan, not a Satanist."

Perhaps this was a nice way of the priest saying,

"Don't worry, she's just a confused Christian. What damage could she possibly do?"

Quote:

Now, has anybody been, proverbially or literally, spat in the face by somebody of lesser understanding, only to rise up and gain the ground that you deserve?

No. These people are easy to spot and easier to avoid.

Why expend the energy?

#122234 - 09/19/05 03:23 AM Re: Satanism Vs. The Adversary [Re: RandomStranger]
claw Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Quote:

Quote:

" Don't worry, She's a Pagan, not a Satanist."

Perhaps this was a nice way of the priest saying,

"Don't worry, she's just a confused Christian. What damage could she possibly do?"

,,,,,,Why expend the energy?

Good point, I must admit that the guilt from a christian world can seep into a persons 'mind' , even if they are pagan....

you know, the three-fold law and all....

I guess some people just need the guilt to justify their own actions..... they need to know what is right and wrong, even if it is based on their own understanding of life, and even if it is only discovered once they do something 'wrong'.....

Mind you, I believe that knowing how people work is integral to becoming a good satanist.... its all about your concentration.....

think of it this way..... if you were blind and you wanted to figure which bug was the bee and not the wasp, you would study the wasp and the bee in your own bubble of existence.....

to me, it isn't an expenditure of energy.... its a necessary measure which one must take so that you dont let some sucker take the best of you....

after all, we satanists aren't perfect.......

so lets not let our ego believe in the invincible....

its better to be safe than sorry....

#122235 - 09/19/05 09:59 AM Re: Satanism Vs. The Adversary [Re: claw]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Quote:

I guess some people just need the guilt to justify their own actions..... they need to know what is right and wrong, even if it is based on their own understanding of life,

Usually, most people's definition of right and wrong ISN'T based on their understanding, but on someone elses.

While not an answer to your question, your post reminded me of something my wife said yesterday. She started a new book. I asked if it was good, and she said, "Yes...but you wouldn't like it. It's about a Satanic cult". At least she realizes it's a work of fiction.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#122236 - 09/19/05 01:42 PM Re: Satanism Vs. The Adversary [Re: claw]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: New England, USA
>>Now, has anybody been, proverbially or literally, spat in
>>the face by somebody of lesser understanding, only to
>>rise up and gain the ground that you deserve?

If you're asking about correcting the misinformed, sometimes to the point of humiliation, then sure. I never go out actively looking for debates, and for that matter I rarely wear by Sigil of Baphomet necklace outside of my shirt. But when somebody plays the self-righteousness card against me, I stand my ground.

Most of the time it's a case of me knowing more about their religion than they themselves do. I've corrected Wiccans in the past who have been duped into believing that their religion is older than 50 years, Xtians who unlike me have never read their Bible, the hypocritically pretentious Buddhists who have their own form of proselytizing, etc. I only use as much artillery as the situation calls for, and don't burn myself up over these vermin on the rare occasion they challenge me.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's ‹bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#122237 - 09/19/05 01:58 PM Re: Satanism Vs. The Adversary [Re: claw]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

"you know, the three-fold law and all.... "

This is not something I am familiar with. The only thing that
comes to mind is that possibly someone came up with a
derivative from laundry folding. But still, that is from my own
sphere of understanding.

#122238 - 09/19/05 02:37 PM Re: Satanism Vs. The Adversary [Re: claw]
Rattlesnake Offline

Loc: Yurop
So a little pseudo xtian got accepted by the xtian community. " Don't worry, She's a Pagan, not a Satanist." Haha.

Pagans make no sence. Autumn equinox is a couple of days away. It's a "holy" day for them. A time when people stop harvesting grain and vine and slaughter the weak livestock. And here's the irony. How many of them have ever killed anything bigger than a fly? Or harvested anything except the tomatoes from the supermarket shelves? They just don't get it that today there is only the supermarket season.

#122240 - 09/19/05 03:34 PM Re: Satanism Vs. The Adversary [Re: RandomStranger]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

>>"you know, the three-fold law and all.... "
>
>This is not something I am familiar with.

"White witchcraft groups say that if you curse a person, it will return to you three-fold, come home to roost, or in some way boomerang back to the sender."
- The Satanic Bible

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,

(Wenn du Google's ‹bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#122241 - 09/19/05 09:16 PM Re: Satanism Vs. The Adversary [Re: Bill_M]
uncleherpe Offline

Quote:

>>"you know, the three-fold law and all.... "
>
>This is not something I am familiar with.

"White witchcraft groups say that if you curse a person, it will return to you three-fold, come home to roost, or in some way boomerang back to the sender."
- The Satanic Bible

when I was a sorta pagan that bothered me (I was like...13). I did all kinds of bad things for revenge and it never got back to me. It was more experiment than religion for me.

#122242 - 09/19/05 11:28 PM Re: Satanism Vs. The Adversary [Re: Bill_M]
Maninblack Offline

Loc: Garland, Texas
Good response Bill_M. I'm amazed at the fact that few take the time to arm themselves with knowledge of the "enemy". Maybe for some it works just fine, but I'm almost obsessive about being equipped and ready for a debate, should the occasion arise, and one must read the opposing or "attacking" literature to make this happen. My own experience has been largely with christians and I can usually always quote far more scripture and biblical history than they...but even then, they justify their inadequacy by employing their favorite "ace-in-the-hole"......"faith", the old "Get out of jail free" card!
Hoisting the Chalice, In the Name of Satan!! Man In Black "Sensitive souls have reacted with shock to the elemental drama of life on this planet, and one of the reasons Darwin so shocked his time - and still bothers ours is that he showed this bone-crushing, blood-drinking drama in all of its elementality and necessity: Life cannot go on without the mutual devouring of organisms...each organism raises its head over a field of corpses, smiles into the sun, and declares life good." Ernest Becker, "Escape From Evil" "I often write about the fact that everything here in the universe seems to eat and get eaten, and we need to pay attention to this. The idea of the Eucharist is that when divinity passes through this universe, it, too, gets eaten." Matthew Fox (Psychology Today, Sept./Oct.,1993)

#122243 - 09/20/05 02:48 AM Back to the book. [Re: Bill_M]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Thanks Bill.

Now it is even more clear as to why:

"Thrice cursed are the weak whose insecurity
makes them vile, for they shal serve and suffer!"
- - The Satanic Bible

#122244 - 09/20/05 08:29 PM Re: Satanism Vs. The Adversary [Re: claw]
Mason_Rust Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Michigan, USA
Not much of a story, but the wearing of a Baphomet lead to a Kmart employee handing me a Jack T. Chick comic, which I promptly displayed to the manager. I let him know just how much I didn't appreciate being told in a round about way that I would burn in Hell unless I accept the same religion that the photo developer believes. The manager seemed to treat the matter very seriously and apologized his head off to me. Whether it was sincere or not, I am unaware. He told me that she'd be dealt with. She may have been fired, she may have not, but I haven't seen her working there since.

#122245 - 09/20/05 09:02 PM Re: Satanism Vs. The Adversary [Re: Maninblack]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

>>Good response Bill_M. I'm amazed at the fact that few
>>take the time to arm themselves with knowledge of
>>the "enemy".

Thanks, and I concur. Of course I do find the other extreme, those who needlessly invite debate, to be ultimately unsatanic. It's not limited to people who storm Xtian chatrooms, but also includes people who still think they're "minding their own business" when decked out in attention-grabbing jewelry and clothing while in a conservative social situation.

But at the same time, I think a Satanist should at least have the ability to stand up for themselves in a debate and at least have accurate answers for the common questions. In fact I have little respect for anybody, Satanist or not, who adopts a religious title yet can't describe their religion or how their sect (if applicable) differs from others.

>>I'm almost obsessive about being equipped and
>>ready for a debate, should the occasion arise,

I know the feeling, because there were times when I was certainly like that. Though I'd warn that obsession in this case can easily lead to compulsion. There were times in the past when I found myself compulsively going to inter-faith forums on the 'net to debate creationists and what not, and just had to stop when I realized it was becoming too draining.

>>My own experience has been largely with christians

Well, they certainly seem to do the most proselytizing!

>>...but even then, they justify their inadequacy by
>>employing their favorite "ace-in-the-hole"......
>>"faith", the old "Get out of jail free" card!

Ah, but if they're the ones approaching YOU for debate (and it shouldn't be the other way around, shouldn't it?), you can make that card work in your favor. You can ask "If it's all really a matter of faith, then why are you trying to form a logically constructed debate against me?" Even Penn & Teller, on their "Bible" episode of Bullshit, started right off the bat by saying "If you think the Bible is a matter of faith, we can't touch you."

#122246 - 09/22/05 07:39 PM Re: Satanism Vs. The Adversary [Re: Bill_M]
Maninblack Offline

Loc: Garland, Texas
Thanks, Bill_M, for the insightful and thorough reply. Must say that I am in agreement with you throughout. I'll need to thoughtfully withdraw my use of the word "obsession" as it was admittedly used a little too lightly. I can more specifically concur that such debate IS indeed draining and, much more often than not, completely fruitless (except for whatever joy cerebral masturbation may bring one!). My years (and a few bruises to the ego) have taught me that quiet confidence and an intelligent "choosing of battles" is far better.
Satanism, or any of the atheistic philosophies for that matter, gain little ground with believers in external deities by way of debate, it seems.
I appreciated the Penn & Teller reference as well. True words.
I enjoy your posts. You are, in words of old, "a scholar and a gentleman!"
Best Regards

Edited by Maninblack (09/22/05 07:42 PM)
Hoisting the Chalice, In the Name of Satan!! Man In Black "Sensitive souls have reacted with shock to the elemental drama of life on this planet, and one of the reasons Darwin so shocked his time - and still bothers ours is that he showed this bone-crushing, blood-drinking drama in all of its elementality and necessity: Life cannot go on without the mutual devouring of organisms...each organism raises its head over a field of corpses, smiles into the sun, and declares life good." Ernest Becker, "Escape From Evil" "I often write about the fact that everything here in the universe seems to eat and get eaten, and we need to pay attention to this. The idea of the Eucharist is that when divinity passes through this universe, it, too, gets eaten." Matthew Fox (Psychology Today, Sept./Oct.,1993)

Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
44036 Topics
406368 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements