Page 13 of 13 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13
Topic Options
#123375 - 06/30/06 07:04 PM Gentlemen... [Re: pitzi_83]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

Gentlemen, let us do that title justice. I have kept this thread in the public forum rather than remove it to the members' forum because so far it has been polite and some of the main participants are nonmembers. Please, do not let tempers flare when we disagree.

I would prefer if we are able to allow candid conversation even in public forums, but if anyone is honestly offended by comments here and it has become too personal, then I will simply move it below, or out of sight entirely.

#123376 - 06/30/06 08:02 PM Re: A Satanic nation. [Re: Bill_M]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
I had an ambulance ride late last year, but it wasn't serious and I turned out not to need any services (or even the ambulance, really).

#123377 - 06/30/06 08:18 PM Ambulances [Re: Bill_M]
PWG Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: MI
Ambulances in Canada may vary as much as they do here in the US, depending on ownership, jurisdiction, and population served.

The ambulance I staff is relatively new, with up to date equipment and drugs.

I had a chance to work with an ambulance crew in Wyoming two years ago, when the group I was riding motorcycles with came upon a roll-over accident.

The two rattle-trap rigs that showed up did not really inspire me with confidence considering the distances they have to traverse to the nearest hospital.

But, that's what they had to work with.

I would assume that ambulances in Canada are covered by some kind of local regulations, as they are in different states in the US.

#123378 - 06/30/06 08:24 PM Re: A Satanic nation. [Re: Bill_M]
ModernTantalus Offline

There's a pretty simple solution to public health care. In fact, it's already been put to work in another professional field. In the law field, plenty of people are happy to be a public defender. You get what you pay for, but the idea is that any lawyer is better than none at all. Then of course, there are lawyers who go into private practice and make the big bucks. This is how I feel about socialized health care. There can be free clinics and doctors who are approved by and who accept payment from the government (kinda like what's done with Medicaid.) Then there's a higher level of care with the really skilled doctors. You have to pay extra for extra care, but this happens already. I mean, seriously, do you think Bill Gates goes to the local yokel doctor down at the free clinic? This system works great. There's still a financial incentive to be a doctor, there's an incentive to be exceptional in the field, and the rest of us can have some medical care.

#123379 - 06/30/06 08:29 PM Re: A Satanic nation. [Re: Bill_M]
tovasshi Offline

Loc: Banana, Canada
According to the World health orginization (WHO) Canada outranks the US. France actually came in first. Canada is 30th, the US came in 37th. We were both beaten by Saudi Arabia (27). Canada has an infant mortality rate of 4.8 and a life expectancy of 80.1. The US has an infant mortality of 6.5 and life expectancy of 77.7.

On ambulances. From personal experience, it depends on what city you live in. All the ones I have seen have had fully equiped with all the supplies.

#123380 - 06/30/06 08:33 PM Re: A Satanic nation. [Re: reprobate]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

I was not myself making that implication, and while I do not speak for Colonel Akula, I believe he is with me on this: I do not find Tovasshi's family to be irresponsible for doing what is best for them, even if it means taking advantage of an irresponsible government system; indeed, were it my own daughter I would choose her health over ideologies without hesitation.

However, Tovasshi made the mistake of transferring what is best for her family as an argument for why Canada's governmental system is superior, and that is what I, and apparently others, disagree with. I am not "anti Canadian" but I think that the degree to which liberalism is embraced there is sometimes disgusting. It is like California and the Yankees had a lovechild and tossed it to the north!

What anyone thinks of her otherwise is their own business, but I doubt that Canadians themselves would fault her for a situation she can do little about; what can you do, refuse treatment? Yet no doubt you see the glaring logical hole in her line of argument; her family currently uses this system, and though an American citizen in similar circumstance would probably have equal ability to receive treatment, she concluded that Canadian social systems are therefore superior. And of course the whole "most laws" comment which was absurd on the face of it.

#123381 - 06/30/06 10:14 PM Re: A Satanic nation. [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
Quote:

However, Tovasshi made the mistake of transferring what is best for her family as an argument for why Canada's governmental system is superior

Well, she can speak for herself. I thought she made it reasonably clear that she was talking about her own concerns, her own interests, and her own priorities, not about The Way Things Should Be.

Speaking of socialized medicine generally: The situation here should be understood in context. Urban and sub-urban Leftist radicals are not the only ones supporting socialized medicine; they're not even the broadest base of support. Where I come from, and where I live today, that class of people barely registers as a blip on the political radar, although they're probably more prevalent in the Big 4 affluent cities, which collectively account for about 1/3 of the population, I think. For the vast majority, it's motivated by a nebulous sense of Christian charity. (Tommy Douglas, the "inventor" of Canada's health care system, was a Baptist minister in Saskatchewan before sitting in Parliament.) Canada's a much more conservative country than I think many Americans realize.

The principles also resonate pretty deeply with those who live far from the luxuries and conveniences of the Big 4, especially in Atlantic Canada where there the economy depends very much on the cycles of the seasons. Down there, it's not uncommon to find yourself out of work for a few months at a time, and needing to crash on a friend's couch. The next year, the tables could be reversed. It's in everyone's interest to cultivate little support networks that you can fall back on in times of need. (Didn't High Priestess Nadramia once suggest something like this, as a possible model for Satanic welfare? ) In their muddled way, they see socialized health care as an extension of that kind of practice. Now that's definitely wrong, definitely ill-advised, but not totally as stupid as it's been made out to be here.

In short, getting rid of it altogether is NOT going to be a serious public agenda item any time soon, and that has nothing to do with Left vs. Right.

Any serious talk of The Way Things Should Be will have to balance two concerns:
1) There must be a market, and choice of provider;
2) It's gotta be robust enough to handle some level of freeloading, because Canadians generally seem to think that maintaining a certain level of health is a public good.

I have heard of doctors trying to push for private, non-profit insurance co-ops that might serve rural counties. This would satisfy the requirements, and would be my ideal solution. From what I gather, the patients would agree to the idea, but they're blocked by politicians, bureaucrats and activists in the capital cities -- because it's not "public health care".

#123382 - 04/05/07 05:07 PM Re: A Satanic nation. [Re: pitzi_83]
khefer Offline

I think the Netherlands is a good example of a de facto Satanic nation. I rational approach to life: materially well-off, with tolerance for different philosophies, gay marriage, prostitution, drugs, gambling, etc. Maybe a bit too soft on crime, though.

#123383 - 04/05/07 05:10 PM Re: A Satanic nation. [Re: khefer]
Mr Sam Offline

Loc: Somewhere in the UK.
Quote:

I think the Netherlands is a good example of a de facto Satanic nation. I rational approach to life: materially well-off, with tolerance for different philosophies, gay marriage, prostitution, drugs, gambling, etc. Maybe a bit too soft on crime, though.

What have these things got to do with Satanism?

I suggest you read more and talk less.

#123384 - 04/05/07 05:12 PM Re: A Satanic nation. [Re: Mr Sam]
khefer Offline

Quote:

What have these things got to do with Satanism?

I suggest you read more and talk less.

it's in the same line of thought as tovasshi's and many other posts in this thread.

Edited by khefer (04/05/07 05:15 PM)

#472111 - 03/30/12 03:35 AM Re: Wine and wafers, or beer and nuts? [Re: S_Magazine]
kwaku philip Offline

In my country they practice witch crafting but i here is different altogether that is why i want to learn much here

Page 13 of 13 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13

Forum Stats
12160 Members
73 Forums
43919 Topics
405741 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements