Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#123668 - 10/05/05 03:18 AM Re: gay marriage [Re: Phenylalanine]
Jack_Lantern Offline
CoS Member

Loc: America
Quote:

I attribute a great deal of the pain that I've gone through sexually to simply not knowing.

I attribute most of the pain I expierianced to getting a medical style sex education class, when really teen boys and girls should be taught how to have sex, alongside the medical definition. But no doubt uptight parents and religious crusaders heads would explode if even such a thing were mentioned.

#123669 - 10/05/05 03:26 AM Re: gay marriage [Re: uncleherpe]
Jack_Lantern Offline
CoS Member

Loc: America
I watch the catholic channel myself, thats not its name, its just what I call it. My favorite is the nun that explains the trinity. Anyone, and I mean anyone, could sit and listen to that nun, then walk into a lecture on quantumelectrodynamics, and then think to themselves, 'Oh good, this is much easier to understand'.

#123670 - 10/05/05 04:28 AM Re: gay marriage [Re: Krupa]
Laren Offline

Loc: Australia
I guess what infuriates me is the fact that people who don't even know I exist are trying to dictate to me what I can and can't do with MY life, based on their rotten beliefs...

I really hate being told I can't do something thats within reason...

But if gay marriage was allowed, I wouldn't do it anyway... I personally don't need a ring or pieces of paper to signify my love for another woman. I think the love would speak for itself.
But for some I know it means a great deal to them.

Who are these people to say it's wrong for another?

#123671 - 10/05/05 11:00 AM Re: gay marriage [Re: Krupa]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
I have noticed that if you want to start a conversation that will last a long time, make the subject homosexuality. On a continuum, I probably sit on the extreme end of heterosexuality, but it seems homosexuality is of interest to most, myself included. If you are a male, and do not think this applies to you...how many times have you enjoyed a movie with girl on girl action?
This fascination seems to be fairly universal, and ancient. Many cultures have found ways of defining roles for homosexuals. In Rome, if I am correct, it was an accepted part of life. In colonial days, homosexuals were burned with witches. The word "fag" originally refered to kindling wood. That was their role for the "godly" of that period. Native Americans saw them as Medicine Men.
It seems that something so innate in human nature must be accepted in any society that considers itself "enlightened". Whether we choose to express it or not, it is very much part of the very fabric of the human psyche. To try to deny the rights of a particular group, because they represent parts of ourselves we would rather pretend did not exist seems to me to be the height of cruelty.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#123672 - 10/05/05 03:36 PM Re: gay marriage [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: New England, USA
>>In colonial days, homosexuals were burned with witches.
>>The word "fag" originally refered to kindling wood.

I once heard that the reason the word faggot (which really means, a bundle of sticks) got associated with homosexuals was not because they were burned, but rather because both were viewed as "fire (trouble) starters".

Off hand I don't even know any burnings in early U.S. settlement days. Hangings are another story.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#123673 - 10/06/05 07:59 AM Re: gay marriage [Re: Bill_M]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Quote:

Off hand I don't even know any burnings in early U.S. settlement days. Hangings are another story.

I was refering to the Salem witch trials. I heard the "bundle of stickes" and kindling wood reference on a documentary. I wish I could remember the name of it. Granted, if it was on the history channel, there could be an error in their facts. I lost faith in their documentaries when I watched part of their History of Hell, and saw that Billy Graham's daughter seemed to be the main focus. I got tired of laughing, and muttering "bullshit" over and over...oh well.

#123674 - 10/06/05 08:33 AM Re: gay marriage [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
YoungSoulRebel Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Quote:

I was refering to the Salem witch trials. I heard the "bundle of stickes" and kindling wood reference on a documentary.

http://www.google.com/search?q=salem+wit...:en-US:official
http://www.salemwitchtrials.com/faqs.html
http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_murders/not_guilty/salem_witches/1.html

Nobody was actually "burned at the stake" during the salem witch triels. At many a witch-trial in Europe, yes, but not in Salem.

I've also noticed that it's very common, not just here, but other online message forums as well, to take a documentary at face-value without checking the "information" spouted in the alloted hour or half-hour (unless, of course, the documentary is by Michael Moor or one of those other dirty, dirty America-hating Liberals who dare to exercise their right to free speech rather than treating the American flag like a Catholic treats a statue of the Virgin Mary) and then start talking like they're an expert on the subject. NEWS FLASH: Documentaries these days are often either very obviously biased (like Supersize Me) or are produced for entertainment value first and information second (like this week-long Penn Gilette special on The History Channel, masquerading as something about Nostradamus).

Check your facts, or you will look stupid when somebody who knows better reads your "info."

"Usually when you ask somebody in college why they are there, they'll tell you it's to get an education. The truth of it is, they are there to get the degree so that they can get ahead in the rat race. Too many college radicals are two-timing punks."
- Abbie Hoffman

"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I'm happy. I can't figure it out. What am I doing right?"
- Charles M Schulz

“One of the great things about young people is that they do question, that they do care deeply about justice, and they they have open minds.”
- Zack de la Rocha

#123675 - 10/06/05 10:16 AM Re: gay marriage [Re: YoungSoulRebel]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Thank you for the links. Very interesting. So...I shouldn't watch Charmed to gain accurate information on witchcraft. Okay, just for McGowan.

#123676 - 10/06/05 10:36 AM Re: gay marriage [Re: YoungSoulRebel]
uncleherpe Offline

I just hate micheal moore because he does exactly what he says hes against, hes just on the left instead of the right. Plus hes told some outright lies, and most of his fans dont seem to care if the info is true or not. The whole NRA=Klu Klux Klan thing especially, how friggin rediculous!

I would invest in getting a copy of penn and tellers bullshit! series sometime, its very very good.

In micheal moore hates america Penn actually brings up how documentaries are biased no matter what, because no one would be able to tell the whole story and show every event of every day. I still like to watch.

#123677 - 10/06/05 11:29 AM Re: gay marriage [Re: uncleherpe]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Quote:

I still like to watch.

Okay...I admit...I quoted that one sentence just because I like that one sentence. It's funny.

Now to seriously respond to your post. History IS interpretation, no doubt about it. You are right...there are too many sides to every issue, and too many events to choose from, to believe that any one person can put together a 100% accurate description of things. And that doesn't even include our personal biases that we cannot even recognize. Forget putting them aside.
I, for one, also like Micheal Moore. I also know why I like him...I am a long time liberal. I do find myself getting a little more conservative with age, however. Particularly when it comes to social programs that throw money away on ingrates, and breeds a culture of laziness. But, like you said...I still like to watch.

#123678 - 10/06/05 05:05 PM Re: gay marriage [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
uncleherpe Offline

Quote:

Quote:

I still like to watch.

Okay...I admit...I quoted that one sentence just because I like that one sentence. It's funny.

Now to seriously respond to your post. History IS interpretation, no doubt about it. You are right...there are too many sides to every issue, and too many events to choose from, to believe that any one person can put together a 100% accurate description of things. And that doesn't even include our personal biases that we cannot even recognize. Forget putting them aside.
I, for one, also like Micheal Moore. I also know why I like him...I am a long time liberal. I do find myself getting a little more conservative with age, however. Particularly when it comes to social programs that throw money away on ingrates, and breeds a culture of laziness. But, like you said...I still like to watch.

hahaaa!

Yeah, I am seriously apposed to most welfare type of programs, I am very liberal on most social issues as well. I guess I would count as a libretarian for the most part, but theres some stuff I disagree with (I am completely for gun control).

I just really cant respect him taking advantage of charlton heston and make him look like an evil man, editing footage from different NRA meetings that were years apart and the stupid thing where he held up the picture of the little girl.

One thing that was hilarious in micheal moore hates america is how he tried to get ahold of mike, in a very 'roger and me' type of way, it was a parody in most ways. They also re interveiw a lot of people from the previous movies, the people from the bank, one of the vets they used for 'sad' footage (guy lost his arms, but is still proud to have served), spokesperson for the NRA explaining why they had the meeting in colorado after columbine, all kinds of stuff.

I think since I cant see every angle, most of the time its best to look at the extreme part of each side, the truth is almost always somewhere in the middle. Its usually more entertaining that way too.

#123679 - 10/09/05 02:01 PM Re: gay marriage [Re: Jack_Lantern]
Phenylalanine Offline

Loc: Michigan
I agree. Some students I've gone to school with have actually experimented sexually after sexual education and have had no idea what it was or what was going on.

Something is lost in transit; You can't leave it up to parents completely because a vast number of parents will not explain anything.

As a side note, my chat about "the birds and the bees" was accompanied by Grey's Anatomy and the DSM-IV.

#123680 - 10/09/05 07:06 PM Re: gay marriage [Re: uncleherpe]
BlackPhilosopher Offline

Loc: A nordic place draped in snow
Quote:

How about someone reccomends not getting married to an idiot? Or getting married to someone that you can deal with? Or waiting a few years before marriage?

That would be much better advice, much more realistic as well.

Gender is just so... meaningless to me.

How about not getting married at all? Is it a sin?

#123681 - 10/09/05 07:20 PM Re: gay marriage [Re: Helliott]
BlackPhilosopher Offline

Loc: A nordic place draped in snow
This is off topic, but I should mention that it is quite curious that you have the same avatar as the poster of this thread, Krupa.

#123682 - 10/09/05 07:23 PM Re: gay marriage [Re: BlackPhilosopher]
BlasphemousOne Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Connecticut, USA
That may be because they are both using a stock avatar.

Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 >

Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
44035 Topics
406362 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements