Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#125395 - 12/09/05 08:06 AM Re: The concept of "Strong" [Re: reprobate]
Mason_Rust Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Michigan, USA
Reprobate, I understand. I feel the same. Now say my name and be done with it.

#125396 - 12/11/05 12:16 PM Re: The concept of "Strong" [Re: reprobate]
Barb Offline

CoS Member

Quote:

Or is this burning an eternal flame?

You could be dreaming, because I can’t really tell what you are saying...

I’m “burning an eternal flame” by poetically saying that it dwells inside of me?

...Unless you are suggesting that the eternal flame is not something that should just be kept on the inside, but rather, it is something that should be projected outward. In using magic to accomplish things, I project my energy and stimulation toward my desired outcome instead of just hiding it inside and not doing anything about it. If I were to hide my inner strength inside myself, then it wouldn’t really exist on the outside.

And how could I project my feelings if I kept them to myself? Strength comes through joy, and so it is important to show your feeling of joy. If you feel it strongly enough, it will inevitably show; therefore, if it is only on the inside, then you would not be feeling it strongly enough for it to be effective.

Is this what you are taking about?

I should revise my sentence:
Strength is like the eternal flame that dwells inside and out; the joy and passion I feel for life; the stimulation I get that gives me the power to conquer any formidability I face.

"Life is the great indulgence-death the great abstinence. Therefore, make the most of life-here and now!" ~Anton Szandor LaVey

"The true test of anyone's worth as a living creature is how much he can utilize what he has." ~Anton Szandor LaVey

"Twenty percent of your priorities will give you 80 percent of your production, IF you spend your time, energy, money, and personnel on the top 20 percent of your priorities." ~The Pareto Principle, as stated by John C. Maxwell

#125397 - 12/12/05 10:05 AM Re: The concept of "Strong" [Re: Lord Xolothi]
crackergirl Offline

Loc: Kansas
The Pantera song "Mouth For War" always puts this question into perspective for me, and also helps me get some serious head-banging done!

"When I channel my hate to productive, I don't find it hard to impress." -Phil Anselmo

#125398 - 12/12/05 02:24 PM Re: The concept of "Strong" [Re: Lord Xolothi]
G.F.V. Offline
CoS Member

Loc: NYC
The concept of being strong, in my opinion, all boils down to perseverance and overcoming of problems that one faces.

Here's my 9 points on what I view as strength:
-Being able to work under pressure.
-Not settling for anything second best.
-Having capability to tackle tasks that are challenging.
-Knowing what you are best at, and mastering it.
-Learning from mistakes and refusing to make them again.
-Refusing apathy and carelessness.
-Knowing your minor weaknesses and flaws, and trying to improve them.
-Maintaining a healthy, fit diet and lifestyle.
-Thinking and making decisions for yourself.

The number one thing I view as a weakness is:
Irresponsibility, knowing that he or she is irresponsible, and doing absolutely nothing to improve it.

#125399 - 12/12/05 02:33 PM Re: The concept of "Strong" [Re: Barb]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
Yes, yes, that's exactly what I mean. "Can you hear my heart beating? Do you understand? Do you feel the same?"

Edited by reprobate (12/12/05 02:34 PM)

#125400 - 12/12/05 03:23 PM Re: The concept of "Strong" [Re: reprobate]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

Loc: Atlanta, GA.
Close your eyes, give me your hand.

Am I only dreaming?

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"An inordinate passion for pleasure is the secret of remaining young" - Oscar Wilde

#125401 - 12/12/05 07:26 PM Re: The concept of "Strong" [Re: reprobate]
Barb Offline

CoS Member

Quote:

"Can you hear my heart beating? Do you understand? Do you feel the same?"

Yes, I must be quite receptive.

Or am I only dreaming? ...nah.

"Life is the great indulgence-death the great abstinence. Therefore, make the most of life-here and now!" ~Anton Szandor LaVey

"The true test of anyone's worth as a living creature is how much he can utilize what he has." ~Anton Szandor LaVey

"Twenty percent of your priorities will give you 80 percent of your production, IF you spend your time, energy, money, and personnel on the top 20 percent of your priorities." ~The Pareto Principle, as stated by John C. Maxwell

#125402 - 12/13/05 09:46 AM Re: The concept of "Strong" [Re: Lord Xolothi]
Grima Offline

Loc: Netherlands
True strength to me is using your abilities to their fullest and in perfecting them being able to achieve the goals you have set yourself in life.
Some see true strength in athletes perfecting their bodies, but I can also see strength in a scholar using his brains in order to get what he/she wants.
That to me is true strength; knowing what you are good at but also knowing your weaknesses and being able to go further from there.

#125403 - 12/13/05 09:54 AM Re: The concept of "Strong" [Re: Grima]
crackergirl Offline

This goes along with something my grandmother used to say, I think.

"Strength is not the absence of obstacles, but the ability to overcome them."

#125404 - 12/13/05 12:08 PM Re: The concept of "Strong" [Re: crackergirl]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
Quote:

This goes along with something my grandmother used to say, I think.

"Strength is not the absence of obstacles, but the ability to overcome them."

Or, as Winston Churchill used to say:

"success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm."

#125405 - 12/13/05 12:46 PM Re: The concept of "Strong" [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
DarkWater Offline
CoS Member

Loc: SinCity
Quote:

Or, as Winston Churchill used to say:

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm."

I mean no disrespect to you, Warlock, or to Churchill, but this statement is happy horseshit.

If a person goes from one failure to the next while keeping a goofy smile on his face and a song in his heart, I’d call him an eternal-optimist or a pigheaded-oaf, depending on my mood and the circumstances involved. But a success? Hardly! The ability to continue after a failure might be a necessary condition to success, if failure is encountered along the way. But much more than an enthusiastic attitude is needed to end a cycle of failure. If given a very generous reading, Churchill’s statement might hint at this truth, but as it stands now, I equate it with other horseshit favorites:

You deserve to be happy!

I’m ok! You’re ok!

We’re all created equal!

DarkWater

p.s. It’s a slow day at work.

#125406 - 12/13/05 01:51 PM Re: The concept of "Strong" [Re: DarkWater]
crackergirl Offline

Quote:

I mean no disrespect to you, Warlock, or to Churchill, but this statement is happy horseshit.

If a person goes from one failure to the next while keeping a goofy smile on his face and a song in his heart, I’d call him an eternal-optimist or a pigheaded-oaf, depending on my mood and the circumstances involved. But a success? Hardly!

I agree. My English teacher in 9th grade always used to say, "Don't try harder. Try different." I think that bears mentioning.

Quote:

The ability to continue after a failure might be a necessary condition to success, if failure is encountered along the way. But much more than an enthusiastic attitude is needed to end a cycle of failure.

This certainly goes along with what my grandmother said a bit better. The "ability to OVERCOME those obstacles." I wouldn't waste my time climbing up the down escalator.

Quote:

If given a very generous reading, Churchill’s statement might hint at this truth,

Not feeling very generous today then? Ah, me neither.

Quote:

but as it stands now, I equate it with other horseshit favorites:

Maybe we can fix them.

Quote:

You deserve to be happy!

But since your being happy will make me miserable, fuck you.

Better? Okay. I'll try another one.

Quote:

I’m ok! You’re ok!

And everyone else is a bunch of assholes.

This is fun!

Quote:

We’re all created equal!

That's what the people that sell Coors Light say.
"Less filling. Same great taste." So why the hell do we need regular Coors????

#125407 - 12/13/05 02:53 PM Re: The concept of "Strong" [Re: DarkWater]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Good spin on that quotation, Dark. Good point.

The quotation is true IF one assumes that the enthusiastic individual has learned from the failure, and is pursuing goals that are attainable and reasonable. It is important to not let failure steal one's ambition or joie de vivre. In my life, I've quit a lot of things because they got too difficult or too confusing, but if I'd stuck with it, I could've become quite good at marital arts, fencing, and playing the piano, among other things.

But, you're correct that the silly Pollyanna who bangs his face against the wall, says an empowering phrase, and then does it again is an idiot who's going to need plastic surgery. If at first you don't succeed, figure out what caused you to fail, so you can do something different, and better, the next time. Also, take into account the balance factor when creating goals and forging dreams.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#125408 - 12/13/05 02:53 PM Re: The concept of "Strong" [Re: DarkWater]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
>>I mean no disrespect to you, Warlock, or to Churchill, but this statement is happy horseshit<<

I don't think it was meant to be taken too seriously.

#125409 - 12/13/05 03:40 PM Re: The concept of "Strong" [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
DarkWater Offline
CoS Member

Loc: SinCity
Quote:

I don't think it was meant to be taken too seriously.

Agreed. I was just having a little fun. Like I said, it's a slow day at work. (Does anyone know how to make a thumb-twiddling emoticon?)

Still, it is interesting how these happy horseshit mottos form foundational pillars upon which many people build their lives. The pathetic truth is that people do take these slogans seriously. They form a sort of pop philosophy. Apart from the sayings I mentioned earlier, here are a few favored by Christians:

Hate the sin, but love the sinner!

With every temptation, God provides a means of escape.

I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.

Let go and let God!

Any of these sound familiar?

I could make the list much, much longer.

But I've got more thumb-twiddling to do...

DarkWater

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Forum Stats
12018 Members
73 Forums
43828 Topics
405224 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements