Topic Options
#126765 - 10/14/05 07:42 AM A suggestion.
Anonymous
Unregistered

As all of Us know, it's not uncommon to have people joining the board who just want to stir up shit, make utter fools of themselves by displaying their stupidity, Christians and the such.

I would like to suggest that a questionaire be sent to every person who wishes to register. A Stratification questionaire, perhaps asking the person's definition of Satan, opinions on Satanism, et cetera.

This would be a great idea to keep time-wasters and shit-disturbers away from the board.

In fact, the Satanism UK message board moderators send a similar questionaire to users who want to join.

Any thoughts on this?

G.

#126766 - 10/14/05 08:39 AM Re: A suggestion. [Re: ]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
There is another board that does that as well. They even ask you to give the last word on a particular page of The Satanic Bible. They even go so far as to make you take a seperate personality test.
It is a good idea. It cuts off drive-bys, it shows the user has read The Satanic Bible, and it screens out people who think they are Satanists because they like Marilyn Manson (I do) and they are "evil".
Good idea.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#126767 - 10/14/05 09:13 AM Re: A suggestion. [Re: ]
BlasphemousOne Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Connecticut, USA
I also had an idea. When a user is "banned", does that mean just the screen name they are using? If there was a way to block a banned users IP address this could fix said user from re-registering with a new name and continuing their annoyances.

#126768 - 10/14/05 09:14 AM Re: A suggestion. [Re: BlasphemousOne]
Anonymous
Unregistered

That would be a hard one to pull. Why? Well, not everyone has a static IP address. For example, every time I reset my computer my IP address changes, even though the connection is always on.

#126769 - 10/14/05 09:22 AM Re: A suggestion. [Re: ]
BlasphemousOne Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Aha. Wasn't sure if it could be pulled off. Would be nice if it was able to be done, though.

#126770 - 10/14/05 09:28 AM Re: A suggestion. [Re: BlasphemousOne]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't know much about the structure of message boards, but I've noticed that the ones that have the .cgi extension in the URL (as opposed to the .php in this one) can block any user regardless of their IP address. Maybe another identifier is used apart from IP addresses to identify the computer the person uses to try to access the board.

#126771 - 10/14/05 12:03 PM Re: A suggestion. [Re: ]
Abaddon Offline

It doesn't have to do with an IP address, but each computer has it's own particular terminal in which it is identified by. There are lots of programs/software out there that can be used to block the terminal from any computer you wish, and at any time.

#126772 - 10/14/05 12:57 PM Re: A suggestion. [Re: Abaddon]
Anonymous
Unregistered

So, that's how it works.

Excellent.

Well, I hope they can emply that method in this board to filter out the shit-disturbers.

Thanks, Abaddon.

#126773 - 10/14/05 05:40 PM Re: A suggestion. [Re: ]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

I would like to suggest that a questionaire be sent to every person who wishes to register.

The question of making every new user answer a questionaire was brought up a while back.

It's really not very feasible. Who's going to have the time to review all the questionaires coming in? That's part of why Magister Ventrue set up a group of Moderators to take care of the shit disturbers. You've noticed how quickly we tend to get rid of the sorts of people you're talking about, right? Now, if people would get it into their heads to stop flinging the shit back...

The topic of Magister Ventrue charging a fee was also brought up about the same time. While that would definitely work as a stratifier, he has his reasons for not doing so.
Prevention of Virtue

S Magazine 1 & 2
S Magazine 3

#126775 - 10/14/05 07:41 PM Re: A suggestion. [Re: LKRice]
Mr. Saturday Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: USA
Quote:

Now, if people would get it into their heads to stop flinging the shit back...

Kudos for the voice of reason. Moderators clear out the trash pretty quickly. Now if people would just take heed when we tell them to ignore the riff-raff. I know we all have bad days and feel that urge to take it out on some idiot online, but where does that get us?

Save your energy for more important things, folks!

P.S. read this.

Mr. Saturday
Media Contact/Warlock - Church of Satan

#126776 - 10/15/05 12:27 AM Re: A suggestion. [Re: LKRice]
Majik Offline
CoS Member

Loc: USA
{…moderators to take care of the shit disturbers. You've noticed how quickly we tend to get rid of the sorts of people you're talking about, right? Now, if people would get it into their heads to stop flinging the shit back...}

I agree. I personally asked a favor of an Admin/Mod. within 5 minutes my favor was fulfilled. I think that they all do a great job in moderating the site.

#126777 - 10/15/05 02:40 AM Re: A suggestion. [Re: Majik]
Tex_Talionis Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Amarillo, TX
Quote:

I think that they all do a great job in moderating the site.

Agreed. I had tried to mingle, once way back, on other supposed "Satanic Boards" and if they weren't littered with wanna-bes, they were littered with trolls. So kudos to the moderators. Responsibility to the responsible is shown at its 'Net best
Citizen Infernal Empire
Test Everything.

"We live in deeds not years.
You can be what you will to be."
-General George S. Patton

"The things that come to those who wait may be things left by those who got there first!"

#126778 - 10/15/05 05:56 PM Re: A Possible Solution [Re: LKRice]
Mars Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Mid-Atlantic USA
When someone seeks to register a questionnaire appears that they must fill out. Once they do they click a submit button. The computer automatically grades the “test” and if they score bellow a certain number they are rejected.
The computer does it all like a gatekeeper. The answers aren’t revealed so they can’t try again by copying them down. It would have kinks but it may work.

Awaken the Dragon Within!

#126779 - 10/15/05 06:17 PM Re: A suggestion. [Re: Abaddon]
Daath Offline

Loc: Germany
No, not really. If somebody wants to register a new account after he was banned and he has got a bit knowledge of computers there's nothing which can stop him to create a new account. With dynamic ip's you have to block the whole range of the specific isp but then also other people can't join.

#126780 - 10/16/05 10:31 AM Re: A suggestion. [Re: Abaddon]
Cholinergic Offline
<B>CoS Member</B>

Loc: UK
I'm sorry but I couldn't figure out what you meant by "terminal".
This is the only information a webserver can pick up:

Client IP
Browser name (or whatever the browser is pretending to be)
OS (or again, whatever the browser is pretending to be)

Forum Stats
12019 Members
73 Forums
43828 Topics
405224 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements