Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#12762 - 09/27/03 08:36 PM Satanist: Agnostic? Athiest?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am interested in what most of you believe in when it comes to the Judeo/Xianized view of 'GOD'.
As in, do you remain Agtnostic about the issue ("He MIGHT exist"), or Athiest (He DOESN"T exist").
I'm interested in WHY you believe what you do. The facts you have read/heard that have helped you decide on your belief.
I would advise you re-think your beliefs if they center around 'faith' . A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.

And a question to official Church of Satan members:
Sure, satanism is a belief, and the Church of Satan is an organization. Now my question is, why belong to the church?
People (mainly xians) go to church for the same reasons they go to a hotel/bar: to stupefy themselves, to forget their misery, to imagine themselves, for a few minutes anyway, free and happy.
How is it different for you?

#12763 - 09/27/03 08:42 PM Re: Satanist: Agnostic? Athiest?
Taliana Offline

Loc: England
Maybe he exists, maybe he doesn't. I don't really care.

And I'm not a CoS Member, but my understanding is that people generally join because they want to support the CoS, and there are a lot more opportunies when you've got that redcard. I'm sure there are more reasons too, but those seem to be the most common that I've come across.

#12764 - 09/27/03 08:43 PM Re: Satanist: Agnostic? Athiest?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Please note, I am not trying to offend anyone. If you take offense, or feel threatened by anything I have to say, then it is your fault.
Thank you.
-MrA.

#12765 - 09/27/03 08:53 PM Re: Satanist: Agnostic? Athiest?
Blackheart Offline
CoS Member

I am 100% sure the Christian God does not exist, simply because I do not think Christians have a remotely accurate view of the nature of the Universe.
If the Christian God does exist, then the Universe is a more fucked up place than I had thought.

Other gods do exist. I am one of them

I joined the Church of Satan because I wanted to put my money were my mouth was, and to make a commitment to the religion. Another important part of it was simply wanting to acknowledge the organisation who made me realise what I really am.

Anyway, if nobody joined, there wouldn't be a Church of Satan, and the world would be a more boring place as a result.

Bunny

#12766 - 09/27/03 08:56 PM Re: Satanist: Agnostic? Athiest? [Re: Taliana]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Maybe he exists, maybe he doesn't. I don't really care.

Hmm. Apathetic-Agnostic. "Don't know and don't care!". Hehe. You sure you aren't a member of this place? : http://apatheticagnostic.com/
You say there are more opportunities that would arise once joined? I can see the benifit on an egotistical level, but as far as anything else, it would have to be a love for a sense of community with other satanists, or something.
Thank you for the reply.

#12767 - 09/27/03 09:04 PM Re: Satanist: Agnostic? Athiest? [Re: Blackheart]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Evilbunny:
So you are saying that "God does not exist because his followers are retarded in thier thinking"?
What I found intersting, is that you said 'There are many gods, I am one of them". From what I can understand, satanism teaches "There is no God other than yourself". But, I am unsure of this.
Do you view other satanists as fellow gods? As in, do you show them respect,a nd put them higher than you because you deem them to be a 'God"?

A commitment to the 'religion' by joing and organisation that practices satanism. Interesting.
Thanks.

#12768 - 09/27/03 09:14 PM Re: Satanist: Agnostic? Athiest?
Blackheart Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

So you are saying that "God does not exist because his followers are retarded in thier thinking"?

Sort of. I do not merely mean I think Christianity is wrong because Christians are stupid - that would be illogical since even stupid people are sometimes right. I simply meant that the Christian view of the Universe is not my view. All arguments for the existence of God are farcical.

I won't get too deep into this because this is a Satanic forum, not a Christian one.

Quote:

What I found intersting, is that you said 'There are many gods, I am one of them". From what I can understand, satanism teaches "There is no God other than yourself". But, I am unsure of this.
Do you view other satanists as fellow gods? As in, do you show them respect,a nd put them higher than you because you deem them to be a 'God"?

All Satanists are gods in their own lives.
Interaction with other Satanists is a matter of mutual respect.
But as any student of classical mythology knows, when two gods meet, there can be big fights

#12770 - 09/27/03 09:16 PM Re: Satanist: Agnostic? Athiest?
OneMadFool Offline

Loc: Pennsylvainia
As far a talking about "beliefs" you might what to read This for some Satanic views on beliefs.

Personally, I know there is no GOD, in the Christian sense of the word. Are there GOD's? Of course, I AM ONE.

I am currently not a memeber of the COS, but I will be sending my application within the next few weeks. I do not join in the hopes of "becoming one of the herd". I join to show my support and thankfulness that and outstanding organization like the COS exists. I also join to show my gratitude that Anton LaVey had the guile and the set of balls to write TSB, and begin a revolution in thinking and and evolution to modern Satanism.

#12771 - 09/27/03 09:17 PM Re: Satanist: Agnostic? Athiest?
Wonka Offline
CoS Member

Loc: The City of Red Lights
No Satanist with a thirst of knowledge and progress can be a true Athiest.

The key element, doubt, should always be present. I have no reason to think a creature fitting the Judeo-Christian concept of God exists. If something presents itself as evidence towards the theory of God, I will look into it if it interests me.

The existence of such a creature has made no visible impact in my life, so whether or not he exists is not a factor in my life. Thus, he is not worthy of my attention. Satanism is a religion of practicality, not of belief or idle thoughts of no importance (unless one gains pleasure from them). The only exception to beliefs, is in the ritual chamber, and even suspending disbelief serves a practical purpose.

Quote:

And a question to official Church of Satan members:
Sure, satanism is a belief, and the Church of Satan is an organization. Now my question is, why belong to the church?
People (mainly xians) go to church for the same reasons they go to a hotel/bar: to stupefy themselves, to forget their misery, to imagine themselves, for a few minutes anyway, free and happy.
How is it different for you?

First off, there is no Church of Satan to visit.

The only thing similar to a church is our Grotto system, which is reserved to Active Members who wish to gain power, knowledge, or pleasure from interacting with specific types of individuals. Most Members do not belong to Grottos.There is also the Church of Satan's Special Interest Groups.

More information about Grottos, SIGs, and Membership in general can be found here.

A Christian church is nothing more then a building, it's the beliefs taught inside that make it an escape into a bland, monotonous existence. The philosophy behind The Satanic Bible demands the opposite: individuality and self progression.

So why would one want to join the Church of Satan, when the religion's banner is nonconformity? To support the only organization that ensures it longevity by providing a source untainted by pop culture. To aid the organization in its plans and efforts. To meet and work with other individuals, sharing the same world view, who may be useful to you in some form or another. There is also a certain pride behind it, as well.

Hopefully this has answered your questions.

Edited by LKRice (09/28/03 05:46 AM)

#12772 - 09/27/03 09:24 PM Re: Satanist: Agnostic? Athiest?
Anonymous
Unregistered

From my understanding of satanism, people who follow this religion if you want to call it that (although i personally prefer term school of thought), see the most important entity in the unvierse is themselves. They do not worship each other, yet if the other person claiming to be a satanist and can live up to the title, they are shown fundamental respect they deserve. The universe pretty much revolves around one self, because one's life is unique and the most important asset of a satanist. Satanist believes that he is in control of his life, and he has the ability and willpower to steer his life in the direction of his chousing, instead of kicking back and relying on faith like many other religions tell you to do. That is why each Satanist views himself as a "God". Rational thought is given the utmost importance and those who refuse to exercise it are seen as inferior to a satanist and become tools at his disposal.

I'm not a satanist personally, but from reading different literature on satanism, this is my impression of what satanism is. Personally I think you should have done the some reading first before asking questions, such as Satanic Bible or CoS information pack. If anyone on this forum has anything to add or correct on what I said, please do so. I welcome criticism.

#12773 - 09/27/03 09:39 PM Re: Satanist: Agnostic? Athiest?
OneMadFool Offline

Loc: Pennsylvainia
Quote:

I'm not a satanist personally, but from reading different literature on satanism, this is my impression of what satanism is.

Not to be rude.....but if you are NOT a Satanist, then may I ask what you consider yourself and why you have decided to join a board that deals primarly with SATANISM???

#12774 - 09/27/03 09:43 PM Re: Satanist: Agnostic? Athiest? [Re: OneMadFool]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I haven't made the final commitment to be calling myself that. I share great amount of philosophy with this religion, and I hang around here to find out if this is really something that is right and beneficial for me. Once I'm certain of it, I'll send in my application and call myself a satanist. Until then I'm just an individual with very simular views on life.

#12775 - 09/27/03 09:47 PM Re: Satanist: Agnostic? Athiest?
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

I'll give the short, simple answers to both:

a) Are you atheist, or agnostic?

Neither one, I'm a Satanist.

b) Why join the Church of Satan?

Because I am in alignment with the goals of the Church of Satan, and wish to further them through my own effort.

#12776 - 09/27/03 09:50 PM Re: Satanist: Agnostic? Athiest?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just for clarification, you do not have to be a CoS member to be a satanist. You just have to live like one. Besides, it's perfectly reasonable for one to be "wary" of the title itself. Many people can be of satanic nature and not label themselves as such, or they might not even be aware of the existence of a title that follows with their thought mode. Many individuals who are not satanists but are curious in exploring (i.e. the way to their awakening) the dark realms should be welcome to do so.

#12777 - 09/27/03 09:54 PM Re: Satanist: Agnostic? Athiest?
Taliana Offline

"You say there are more opportunities that would arise once joined?"

Well for one, you get access to the Members Only section of this forum, which even non-members know is a place of great knowledge.

Second, if you become an active member you can become involved in the "Satanic Community" (I know, I know, it's not a community, someone give me a better word and I'll use it) through grottos or the special interest groups. In other words you get to interact with like minded and interesting individuals, which is always a nice thing.

A lot of people think that you join the CoS to be "part of something bigger" ... I think it's more that pretty much everyone likes to know that they are involved in something along with others who are like them. We may not be sheep but even wolves run in packs, and yet at the same time it is important for any Satanist to remember that you are strong enough to stand alone if you need (or wish) to. You don't NEED to interact with other Satanists, but sometimes it's nice to.

But those are just the thoughts of a non-member, I'm sure members will have a different view of things

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Forum Stats
12171 Members
73 Forums
43938 Topics
405796 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements