Topic Options
#12854 - 10/01/03 01:06 PM Re: Back to God. [Re: Jack_Bauer]
Swordsman Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Ohhhkaayy...

*grabs history book*

ah got it!

They never started any crusades
'Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity' - Bullet Tooth Tony 'when I die, I will instruct the undertakers to put a bell on my tombstone, just so I can have the pleasure of not getting up when people ring' - Dr. Mossy Lawn

#12855 - 10/01/03 01:10 PM Re: Back to God. [Re: Swordsman]
Jack_Bauer Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Germany
*laughs*

At least they invented the Kamasutra...

#12856 - 10/01/03 01:20 PM Re: Satanist: Agnostic? Athiest?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Why would it even matter. Assuming that such a thing as superbeings do exist, it seems to be factual that they simply don't care about the third ball of dirt from the sun. A personal quote of mine, "Hope is the denial of reality; hope and faith go hand and hand. Thusly faith is a waste of time."

#12857 - 10/01/03 01:24 PM Re: Satanist: Agnostic? Athiest?
Perndog Offline
CoS Member

Loc: USA
Quote:

Here's the defintion of ignorance as defined by a dictionary. If you insist on using your own interpretation, than you are ignorant yourself:

"A willful neglect or refusal to acquire knowledge which one may acquire and it is his duty to have."

What macsux isn't telling us is that this is a theological usage of the word, taken straight from the Christian Book of Common Prayer. The standard definition of ignorance is simply lack of information.

#12858 - 10/01/03 03:02 PM Re: Back to God. [Re: Swordsman]
BurningJayde Offline

IF one were able to start a revolt in the future to take over the Kingdom, then yes, choosing Heaven and temporary ass kissing would be the Satanic thing to do, absolutely. But according to the scriptures, that would not be a possibility. Hence, back to square one.

Quote:

This situation defenitely wins first prize for ''The most ridicilous hypothetical situation of the year'' in the Swordsman awards

I would agree with that one-hundred percent.

#12859 - 10/01/03 03:14 PM Re: Back to God. [Re: BurningJayde]
Swordsman Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
I would still find bowing down and eternal pleasure a good deal more Satanic than being proud and suffer eternal torment.

But who gives a damn anyway? I prefer real life over spiritual pipe dreams like this one.
'Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity' - Bullet Tooth Tony 'when I die, I will instruct the undertakers to put a bell on my tombstone, just so I can have the pleasure of not getting up when people ring' - Dr. Mossy Lawn

#12860 - 10/01/03 03:28 PM Re: Satanist: Agnostic? Athiest? [Re: Perndog]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, lack of information is also a defintion of ignorance. But that definition doesn't cover whether the information is available or not, which makes the use of the word useless, since we're all ignorant because we don't know about something. For example I lack information about biology which would technically make me ignorant by the FIRST defintion, but since I don't discuss or do anything in that field, nobody will call me ignorant in relation to that topic. The theological definition is the one that is implied when we talk about ignorance, since it covers that the availability of information and one's actions towards having that information (one may aquire) when it is directly related to what is happening (duty).

#12861 - 10/01/03 06:26 PM "This is the Grammar Police..." [Re: Swordsman]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
OK, comments here from the Grammar Police to some of you:

"god" (lower-case 'g') is the word meaning "a deity" or sometimes "a deity depicted as masculine" (as opposed to "goddess"). Zeus, Ra, Set, Shiva, YHWH, and are all examples of gods. Note that they all start with capital letters, since they're names. Note also that plural words that end in "s" don't use an apostrophe.

"God" (capital 'G') is the general name that monotheistic religions call their one deity. The name of the one god from run-of-the-mill Christianity is God. The name of the one god from Islam (another monotheistic religion) is Allah. The name of the god in my life is Bill. I wouldn't be surprised if the Christians called their god "God" as a way to program the idea that their religion is the only one that exists.

And finally: Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Judaism, and Buddhism are names of religions. A practicioner of one of these religions is called, respectively: a Christian, a Muslim, a Hindu, a Jew, or a Buddhist. And yes, "respectively" means "in the same sequence of the previously mentioned list", not "having respect for".

Thank you for reading.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's ‹bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#12862 - 10/01/03 07:05 PM Re: "This is the Grammar Police..." [Re: Bill_M]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Woopie doo, considering I know 3 languages, I'll make the sacrafice of lacking some grammar

#12863 - 10/01/03 07:06 PM Re: Satanist: Agnostic? Athiest?
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

>I am interested in what most of you believe in when it comes
>to the Judeo/Xianized view of 'GOD'.

I'm not sure how much you wanted to limit the definition. Do you mean just any omnipotent, intangible, thinking being who plays some direct role in my life? Or more specifically the one described word for word in the Old Testament (led Jews out of slavery, caused a world wide flood, etc.)?

>As in, do you remain
>Agtnostic about the issue ("He MIGHT exist"), or Athiest
>(He DOESN"T exist"). I'm interested in WHY you believe
>what you do.

My belief on this issue is reflected in my choice of religion: Satanism is non-theistic. "He does exist", "He doesn't exist", and "He may or may not exist" are statements that all make an assertion about this deity. I just don't make any assertions. It's not that I'm trying to "fence-sit"; the question simply doesn't come up for me.

As I've pointed out on other threads in the past, Satanism is not the only non-theistic religion out there. Some religions in the far east (e.g. Theravada Buddhism) have all the necessary and sufficient components of a religion (ceremony, doctrine, offered answers on why the world is the way it is) but do so without having to introduce the notion of deity. Satanism does the same.

Some sources would say that my lack of belief is "weak atheism", whereas the positive disbelief of deity is "strong atheism", and agnosticism is the asserted belief that the existance of God is unknowable.

As for "why", I first and foremost don't believe in God for the same main reason I don't believe in Santa Claus: I feel no need for the concept in my life. I can get through the ups and downs in my life without thinking of invisible creatures. Furthermore, the idea of God sounds way to conveniently made up. It fulfills the human desires to get short, over-simplified answers to complex questions ("How did the earth form? A big invisible man did it."), avoid grief and fear of death ("Mommy's with God now, dear"), offers an ego manifestation for various forms of comfort, feel that any effort pays off ("God will reward me"), and that bad things will happen to bad people.

Some Christians try pulling the line "Well what if he DOES exist? Aren't you afraid of what would happen? Shouldn't you believe 'just in case'?" This is a tired logical fallacy known as "Pascal's Wager". First of all, you can apply it to practically every religion. Xtianity is hardly the only religion that says "Bad things await after death if you don't follow us." It begs the question of why I should take the word of Pat Robertson over the word of an equally devout Muslim. Second of all, if I was a creation deity, I'd have much more respect for those who could take care of themselves using what I created them with, than those who keep bugging me for things.

>somewhere in that big black universe there might a little
>pink elephant with blue wings and a dick the size of planet
>Jupiter. There is just as much sense in believing in that as
>there is in believing that there might be some deity floating
>around somewhere... [Swordsman]

I totally agree. The only difference is that there's much more literature and other media propaganda on-hand to reinforce the "God" idea.

"Remember that the burden of proof is on the person alleging the existence of something. If someone tells me that the Easter Bunny is hiding in somebody's clothes closet somewhere in North America, there is no need for me to search every closet on the continent. The person making the claim has to produce the rabbit or stop wasting my time." - Frank Zindler

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,

(Wenn du Google's ‹bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#12864 - 10/01/03 07:29 PM Re: Some Points [Re: Dreamwalker]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was just reading Dr. LaVey's essay, God of the assholes today and thought it was really interesting. I liked how he talked about God being a spoilsport, bad loser, child molester, unpredictable, etc.
I just love how the Doctor's essay cuts through the B.S. and says it like it is. It's so true that it's just so many humans misdirected will that gives substance to the Christian "God".

" Knowing what a welsher and double crosser God can be, don't be surprised if he isn't a guy in drag. God, like his disciples, likes to make promises he can't keep ; getting human hope up, only to let it down. " from Satan Speaks p.2-3

I hate the christian god. I was a christian for a time when I was a kid and it was just one big waste of energy and time. Never, will I utter one more prayer to a God that just doesn't come through, like Dr. LaVey's essay talks about.
I think there is some value in the Holy Bible though in a historical sense, or poetry like in the Song of Solomon, which sounds like something really out of a erotic romance novel.
Well, I want to shoot God with my 9mm gun.
Maybe I'll pretend it's God next time I go to the firing range.

Edited by Abraxas (10/01/03 07:33 PM)

#12865 - 10/01/03 08:25 PM Re: "This is the Grammar Police..."
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

I explicitly directed my post at more than one person (hence the phrase "some of you"), but since you replied:

>>Woopie doo, considering I know 3 languages, I'll make the
>>sacrafice of lacking some grammar

So quantity necessarily makes up for quality? Whatever.

Judging from your listed location, I'm going to assume that french and english are two of these languages. Doesn't french follow the same rule with the word for "God" (Dieu) vs. "god" (dieu)?

#12866 - 10/01/03 09:43 PM Re: Some Points
Dreamwalker Offline

Loc: Colorado Springs
It is rather interesting. I like it. When I read those words, they fit so much that I've said myself

What I found most fascinating was this though:

"The collective power of all the minds that accept the god of the assholes gives substance to such a divinity. It displays the power of magic. It is the collective will of millions of ten-watt humans. By their very faith, their god becomes a reality."

~ Satan Speaks, second page, from "God of the Assholes"

I thought that was a cool concept. I've heard of that before, but I don't recall where. The whole 'collective will creation' thing. I will most definitely read up on that! Especially as far as archetypes and stuff go. Absolutely fascinating!

It's pretty nifty. All these books, filled up with fabulous philosophies and interesting theories and insight... tons of stuff. I really do love them. As an aside, I've now read TSB, TSW, TDN, and SS. What do you think would be a good 'next' book? "Secret Life of a Satanist" sounds pretty intriguing--I'm sorely tempted. Allowance time is coming 'round soon....

#12867 - 10/02/03 12:00 AM Re: "This is the Grammar Police..." [Re: Bill_M]
Anonymous
Unregistered

No, I don't know French. I'm fluent in English, Russian and Ukrainian.

#12868 - 10/02/03 12:57 AM Re: Satanist: Agnostic? Athiest?
Malin_Wolf Offline
CoS Member

Loc: A sleepy little hollow in Flor...
It's very petty to argue semantics, don't you agree?

It's ignorant to say something exists when not one shred of evidence if viable. You might as well consider yourself one of the flock. If a deity exists.......prove it.

Again, the burden of proof is upon the shoulders of those that make claims.

So do pick your side.

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Forum Stats
12195 Members
73 Forums
43972 Topics
405992 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements