Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#127646 - 10/22/05 10:16 PM Re: "Satanic" Murder Suspect [Re: Serpens]
Lilithflower Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Anton La Vey often said that "the Devil makes good copy." Putting a "satanic" slant on an otherwise run-of-the-mill "loser kid on drugs comits brutal murder" story adds that extra slurp of sensationalism. Ta da! Front page news! Create some "moral panic" while you're at it and those rags selling fast! No wonder the good doktor had such a healthy contempt for "the news." Next story!

#127647 - 10/22/05 11:35 PM Re: "Satanic" Murder Suspect [Re: DarkWater]
DarkxNephilim Offline

Loc: The Abyss
Boy, I wish I had a buck for every discussion about how misinterpreted Satanism is in the media. It's now getting about as old as Republican and Democrat mud slinging. *yawn*
I drown in fathomless dreams and in the reeking mire of virtue scream I yearn to sell my very soul (And you shall for none so dark & sinister will arise to embrace the Arts) Do What Thou Wilt until the stones in my heart stand still regardless of the cost to your repugnant god

#127648 - 10/23/05 03:17 PM Re: An example from a film. [Re: Old_Pig]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
"Transylvania 6-5000" with Jeff Goldblum offered a similar example. Goldblum was employed by a tabloid newspaper in which the very Satanic editor understood the power of words to sell newspapers. He would permit headline "typos" so that a "Rape" factory could be headlined, for example.

"S" words attract attention: "Satan", "Sex", "Save money", etc.

You really only need a few such rubber stamps to sell newspapers!

#127649 - 10/23/05 09:51 PM Re: An example from a film. [Re: Nemo]
Maninblack Offline

Loc: Garland, Texas
Good example. Fun movie! (anyone see Goldblume's 'Mr. Frost"?).

One would think this Satanic Panic thing would have died out after the 80's graciously expired. But then in '94 a group of uninformed, superstitious, and eager-to-close-the-books lawyers, policemen, and a ridiculous judge sentenced the fellows we know now as the West Memphis Three to (two of them)life imprisonment, and (one) to the death chamber on a very knee-jerk investigation and trial. I keep thinking that this sort of religiosity is in death throes, but then here it comes again.
We'll see what the public does with this one....
Hoisting the Chalice, In the Name of Satan!! Man In Black "Sensitive souls have reacted with shock to the elemental drama of life on this planet, and one of the reasons Darwin so shocked his time - and still bothers ours is that he showed this bone-crushing, blood-drinking drama in all of its elementality and necessity: Life cannot go on without the mutual devouring of organisms...each organism raises its head over a field of corpses, smiles into the sun, and declares life good." Ernest Becker, "Escape From Evil" "I often write about the fact that everything here in the universe seems to eat and get eaten, and we need to pay attention to this. The idea of the Eucharist is that when divinity passes through this universe, it, too, gets eaten." Matthew Fox (Psychology Today, Sept./Oct.,1993)

#127650 - 10/24/05 01:41 PM Re: "Satanic" Murder Suspect [Re: DarkWater]
Dengil Offline

Loc: Vantaa, Finland
This is just what I needed... Bet he was reading something much "heavier" than the Satanic Bible. Maybe had something to do with satan-worshipping, which has something to do with human sacrifices, as i recall it (correct me if i am wrong.) Here at Finland, no one is allways pulling Satanist on the line, it is always the Satan-worshipping.

#127651 - 10/26/05 11:37 PM Christian Killers... [Re: DarkWater]
Simple_Pleasure Offline

Loc: USA - Buter, Pa
What about those who kill in the name of God, I mean you know how often the almighty reaches out and speaks to us. Telling us how we shall smite thee demons back down to the bowels of hell type of thing. Yet when someone kills in the name of the lord he's "insane" like oh I don't know... Charles Manson? Yet, when someone is 'satanic' they are perfectly sane and are just corrupt with the darkness of the darklord.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Forum Stats
12255 Members
73 Forums
44035 Topics
406362 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements