Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#129604 - 11/02/05 10:12 PM Herd everywhere. [Re: HellofallHells]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
I challenge you to find a social behavior that does not exhibit the herd tendencies.

They behave they way they think ... or whatever passes for thinking for them.

#129605 - 11/02/05 10:33 PM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: HellofallHells]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
Here is another example…

I’m on the expressway and the cars are moving at a desperately slow pace. I guess there must be an accident ahead slowing the traffic. After half and hour of inch-by-inch advance, I finally reach the point where the line is slowing.

There is in fact an accident… but it is not blocking the line at all. A car had crashed against the concrete divider and a police car is parked behind him. The cause of the knot is that every driver slows down when he passes besides the site of the accident, just to look. Once they satisfy their curiosity, they speed ahead. The expressway is clear and empty ahead of the site of the accident.

Every driver slows down for a few seconds to look, but this time ads to the ones behind him and at the end of the line these is almost an hour of accumulated wait.

All because every one of those idiots, apparently had never seen a cop talking to someone who ruined his paint against a concrete wall... so they had to stop and look.

#129606 - 11/05/05 12:42 AM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: HellofallHells]
Tex_Talionis Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Amarillo, TX
If you don't mind a rather quiet ride, the most noise I usually like in a car ride is music playing at a nice level instead of blasting.

If all else fails I'll just make sure the woman I am with enjoys driving and have her do all the driving
Citizen Infernal Empire
Test Everything.

"We live in deeds not years.
You can be what you will to be."
-General George S. Patton

"The things that come to those who wait may be things left by those who got there first!"

#129607 - 11/05/05 03:06 AM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: Tex_Talionis]
HellofallHells Offline
CoS Warlock

Don't you love it when the car next to you seems to be advancing from the power of bass drum beats. BOOM chick BOOM chick BOOM...
Wow, that sound system may be saving them on gas!

#129608 - 11/05/05 05:28 AM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: HellofallHells]
Tex_Talionis Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Amarillo, TX
While I can't say that isn't a problem where I live (it's actually a big problem and the idiots add those extra loud mufflers to the vehicle too; I say pick one obnoxiously loud thing damn it!) I don't deal with it too much. I try to be in a vehicle as little time as possible, and tend to keep windows up. In a good car you won't hear the outside world unless you decide to crack the windows, and in a true luxurious car the outside world won’t hear your music even if it’s turned up and sounds extremely loud to you; which is how it should be. I hate rude individuals who think its “cool” to shove their bad taste in my face. I appreciate the joy you can get out of blasting loud music, but reserve it for home mainly; I like to be able to hear sirens when I’m driving as well.

Although I will admit I've been guilty of blasting my music back, especially in the neighborhood I work in right now.
Citizen Infernal Empire
Test Everything.

"We live in deeds not years.
You can be what you will to be."
-General George S. Patton

"The things that come to those who wait may be things left by those who got there first!"

#129609 - 11/06/05 12:38 AM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: HellofallHells]
Shylock Offline

Loc: Tiki Land
This reminds me of what I call the "Double Doors Phenomenon."

Back in high school I noticed that whenever people had to exit en masse (such as when leaving the gym after a pep rally, or upon leaving the building during a fire drill) through a set of double doors, they would do so through only one door if the other door was left shut. In many cases, someone would only have to push on the other door to move their way through, but invariably it takes a long time before anyone tries this. When one considers incidents of trampling at public events, or the necessity of a quick exit in the event of fire, this phenomenon can have serious implications.

--The Royal Me

#129610 - 11/06/05 07:36 PM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: Tex_Talionis]
HellofallHells Offline
CoS Warlock

Quote:

I like to be able to hear sirens when I’m driving as well.

Good point. Many are not as sensible as you.

#129611 - 02/28/06 08:35 AM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: HellofallHells]
Curtis Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
Excellent thread!

I'm always so surprised to find how many people you can piss off by simply going at, or under the speed limit. I'll let no idiot get under my skin while I'm behind the wheel though. Here in cow country the roads are choked with monster trucks flying at suicidal speeds who have no problem tailgating your ass, and I have no problem waving them past me to their early graves.

I also would love to carry with me a ray gun that renders cell phones dead. I see waaaay too many folks just chatting away as they swerve down the center of the road.

The motorways are just so screwed, and I can't wait for someone to invent the teleportation device.

#129612 - 02/28/06 11:15 AM Re: Herd everywhere. [Re: Nemo]
LightSnake Offline

Quote:

They behave they way they think ... or whatever passes for thinking for them.

In a Psych 101 class, a professor of mine described an experiment meant to probe the strength of the human tendency of "consensual validation"--to judge what is true/untrue based on the apparent beliefs of others:

The subject is guided to a waiting room / lobby, seated, and told they will have to a wait a while for the experiment to begin. There are three other people waiting in the lobby, reading magazines, or just sitting quietly. These three are secretly accomplices of the experimenters.

After several minutes of waiting, much black smoke begins to pour into the room from an air vent on the upper wall. The three secret accomplices ignore this, acting like nothing is wrong or unusual about it.

The result of the experiment is that most people will choose not to react to the smoke if the accomplices don't, and will just sit there, as the room fills up with it. Consensual validation trumps survival instinct.

--LightSnake

#129613 - 02/28/06 02:36 PM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: Old_Pig]
uncleherpe Offline

once i drove by an accident on the highway that wasnt blocking traffic (it was on the other side of the median) but there were still corpses in one of the cars sooooo i kinda understand why everyone freaked over it...

I drive like everyone else is high, stupid or both. I am a really, really safe driver. Ive been in the 'herd lane' because I get in my lane and I stay there, even if its the slow lane. I only pass people if they are going under the speed limit for no apparent reason.

agressive drivers make me laugh. they always change lanes at the very last second only to end up next to me at the light. I feel a sort of satisfaction when that happens.

#129614 - 02/28/06 05:43 PM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: HellofallHells]
False_Messiah78 Offline
Banned

Loc: New York State
Quote:

Don't you love it when the car next to you seems to be advancing from the power of bass drum beats. BOOM chick BOOM chick BOOM...
Wow, that sound system may be saving them on gas!

Oh, what I really enjoy is when they leave their car running in my workplace parking lot for everybody in the store to 'enjoy' their "music".

Then they act as though I am infringing on their constitutional rights when I tell them to turn their bass down when they are on my company's PRIVATE property!

SETI@Home Team

#129615 - 02/28/06 06:46 PM Re: Herd everywhere. [Re: LightSnake]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
My ass.

If I see "black smoke" streaming into a room, I'm out of there.

Those that don't follow can figure out what it is without me.
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a person’s faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#129616 - 02/28/06 09:51 PM Cliff senario! [Re: HellofallHells]
Asenath Offline

Indeed! My driving instructor merrily told me of an incident he had two years ago during a rainstorm. There was a near river crossing sideways over the highway, so he stopped at the side, seeing the water had whitecaps. When in doubt, stop and see what happens to other people? It was a good idea at this time, because soon after, three cars went over the side of a deep trough, one after another! Evidently, the water had eroded the soil underneath away and caused that part of the road to crumble.

Edited by Asenath (02/28/06 09:52 PM)

#129617 - 03/01/06 02:20 AM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: HellofallHells]
IX Von ZehEhv Offline

CoS Warlock

The most prevalent problem I encounter on the roads is ignorance. People are often oblivious to what is around them as evidenced by their lane skipping and inability to check their 'blind spot'.

I drive many kilometres (ok, miles.. ) each year, and have found importance in not just driving sensibly but being acutely aware of what others are doing. I am confident in my abilities, but lack this confidence in others. I have had many close calls due to silly mistakes of others, that could have been much more serious had I not been aware.

My advice is to worry about the driving of others as much as you do your own.

#129618 - 03/01/06 04:35 PM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: HellofallHells]
crackergirl Offline

Loc: Kansas
Quote:

if they bothered to look, they could become the leader of the pack,

It might not be such a good thing to be the "leader of the pack" if the pack is a bunch of morons. Still, I think I'd choose to be the leader of the morons instead of just another moron follower.

Damn lemmings. JUMP ALREADY!!!

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Forum Stats
12104 Members
73 Forums
43869 Topics
405515 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements