Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#129589 - 11/01/05 05:23 AM Herd on wheels
HellofallHells Offline
CoS Warlock

A friend of mine recently made an interesting observation. He recounted an experience that made him realize that the manifestation of herd mentality can be observed in people's driving habits. Picture it: You're coming to a stop at a red light. the line is long, but then you realize that there is a whole lane that is unoccupied. Why? because everyone is blindly following the car in front of them, not realizing that, if they bothered to look, they could become the leader of the pack, instead of the herd on wheels. I thought it was funny and laughed, at the same time thinking back to see if I had been this blind follower. I certainly had been, but I didn't admit to it! It may be a silly thought, but I thought I'd share it with you.

HS!

#129590 - 11/01/05 12:07 PM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: HellofallHells]
tovasshi Offline

Loc: Banana, Canada
Funny, every time there was an empty lane here its the turning lane.

#129591 - 11/01/05 12:23 PM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: HellofallHells]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

Maybe they want to stay in the lane for a reason. Nevertheless, simple idiocy is abundant on the road:

People who at a red light, will release their brake pedal every 5 seconds or so, lurch forward about 6 inches, then brake again. Its difficult to tell whether they are too stupid to close the gap between them and the car in front of them to the minimum acceptable distance in one pass, or if they are so impatient that they feel like if they can just push forward 6 more inches it will get them there faster.

People who, before changing lanes on the highway to make a pass, will pull to within an inch of your rear bumper, just to show you how badly they really hate the fact that you refuse to drive more than 10 mph over the speed limit.

People driving chop-shop street racers who pull up to compact coupes with no modifications, rev their engines and edge to the line at stop light in an effort to start a street race with said economy compact. Is their vehicle so shitty that they must race against cars that barely produce 100 hp?

Anyone who does anything of the nature of driving 30 mph over the speed limit for a 5 minute trip, swinging into the shoulder to pass someone on the interstate, takes turns at double the recommended speed, and makes passes on two-lane undivided highways when oncoming traffic is less than 100 yards away. If you did the math, their maneuver saved them less than 1 minute on the whole trip, often less than 5 seconds. Sometimes in fact, despite their "clever" driving they will wind up right beside you again at the next stop light because its impossible to go any faster than the lights will allow. Is it worth risking your life to get to Wal-Mart 2 seconds sooner?

When driving, I take it easy. I get where I'm going just as soon as I need to, and I'll probably live longer from not stressing out over something as foolish as simian dominance games on the road.

#129592 - 11/01/05 12:24 PM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: HellofallHells]
DarkWater Offline
CoS Member

Loc: SinCity
Quote:

. . . everyone is blindly following the car in front of them, not realizing that, if they bothered to look, they could become the leader of the pack, instead of the herd on wheels.

That is an observation I make often. The "herd" lane can sometimes have 15 or 20 cars while the other lane has only a couple or none at all.

For a long time, I zipped from one lane to the next, trying to take advantage of this stupifying pattern. But over the past couple years, I've learned to take it more slowly. I sometimes knowingly stay in the "herd" lane. It is an exercise in patience. It also gives me a prolonged stage upon which to belt out my favorite tunes.

The sun will come out...
Tomorrow!
Bet your bottom dollar that...
Tomorrow!
There'll be SUNSHINE!

DarkWater

#129593 - 11/01/05 12:39 PM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: DarkWater]
HellofallHells Offline
CoS Warlock

I agree, LeviathanXIII. Agressive drivers always seem to have this sense of superiority. "Get outa my way, I'm in a hurry, which makes me a better driver than you!"

Turning right on red is a reletively new development where I live, and it's supposed to be on a voluntary basis. Well you'd better volunteer to GO, or else you'll get honked to death!

#129594 - 11/01/05 01:42 PM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: DarkWater]
Max Rose Offline

Quote:

It also gives me a prolonged stage upon which to belt out my favorite tunes.

So you see, it's not the herd lane at all, but in reality the fast track to a rewarding career as a professional singer. Keep practicing and you too may star in your very own musical!

#129595 - 11/01/05 05:06 PM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: HellofallHells]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
I've even had some geniuses honk at me AT A RED LIGHT, when there was a car in front of me.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#129596 - 11/01/05 05:47 PM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: HellofallHells]
ribbit Offline

The absolute worst in people comes out when you stick them behind a wheel. Forget the haunted house or the chamber of horrors. The most frightening place in America is the highway system on a Friday night.

#129597 - 11/01/05 06:38 PM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: HellofallHells]
Maya Offline
CoS Member

Loc: New England
Bad drivers are a constant annoyance of mine as well. I can remember when I first got my learner's permit, how it occurred to me that even in all my inexperience I was a safer driver than many of those who already had their licenses. It simply amazes me how many licensed drivers either refuse or forget to use their signal when changing lanes, something that has nearly caused an accident more than once for me.
The mind is its own place, and in itself
Can make a heaven of hell, or a hell of heaven." - Paradise Lost, lines 251-255 of Book I

Wading in the cyberspace cesspool (MySpace page)

#129598 - 11/02/05 03:08 AM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: HellofallHells]
Tex_Talionis Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Amarillo, TX
I've actually gotten to the point where I don't care to drive...I drive only when I must for work, and if there are no other options for transportation among long distances.

I will join a friend in their vehicle and pay them gas to go somewhere; or if we are going to the same place. I will car-pool like crazy without being the driver; because I just can't stand to drive.

I think I'm going to have to become very wealthy to the point where I can afford a driver, because I rather enjoy being driven around

I don't have to stress the traffic or idiots, I can enjoy the music in the vehicle, and the scenery of the trip to our destination.

With gas prices what they are friends don't mind recieving a few extra bucks to haul me to where we're all going anyway; and I don't mind not having to be behind the wheel. I'm patient so long as I arrive on time.
Citizen Infernal Empire
Test Everything.

"We live in deeds not years.
You can be what you will to be."
-General George S. Patton

"The things that come to those who wait may be things left by those who got there first!"

#129599 - 11/02/05 04:57 AM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: HellofallHells]
Leo_V Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cleveland
I have not noticed the driving behavior you have mentioned. Most other drivers tend to maneuver as if they are in a contest to see who can get their fat, lazy asses to Wal Mart first.

As for me: I drive as if I were the only vehicle on the road.

That is just my frame of mind - I know they are there, but I avoid any "interaction" with other drivers.

Let the herd swerve from lane to lane trying to get ahead of one other car.

Let the herd floor it through a yellow light as if Burger King is closing early.

Let them honk at me when I don't turn right on red!

I make it a priority not to have to rush anywhere and it shows in my driving.

My riding habits as a motorcyclist continue even if I am on four wheels.

The herd may rush forward to death.

I am in no hurry for that. Ever.

#129600 - 11/02/05 01:02 PM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: Leo_V]
novusopiate Offline

Loc: Texas, USA
Unfortunately, due to my location, I have no other choice but to drive wherever I go. So I opted for the "economical" approach. I drive a small 150cc scooter that allows me to reach my destination quickly and quietly. (and efficiently might I add 65 mpg)

I have to be extra cautious due to the size of the scooter and the fact that I am fairly exposed during my travels. There have been several times when I could have easily been crushed had I not been paying the utmost attention to my surroundings. And not blinking helps.

Most people who have never ridden on/driven a 2 wheeled vehicle forget that we are even on the road and don't look carefully enough before swerving into your lane to get around the person ahead of them already going 70 in a 55. It is frustrating and aggravating, but mostly it makes me nervous to be on the road with them.

#129601 - 11/02/05 05:54 PM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: Tex_Talionis]
HellofallHells Offline
CoS Warlock

Quote:

I think I'm going to have to become very wealthy to the point where I can afford a driver, because I rather enjoy being driven around.

May I join you in your limo?

#129602 - 11/02/05 06:09 PM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: HellofallHells]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
You can put the nicest and sweetest person behind the wheel and he will become the most vile and impatience bastard.

I work with traffic three days out of the week and all I see are morons doing moronic things. Of course I seem to not notice the good drivers.

I had a lady, not too long ago, that stopped over the limit line. I held up my hand to stop her before she did. When she came to a stop a whole car length after the limit line, I went to her window and politely asked if she could back up a little (no car was behind her). She exploded and started to scream about how she knows how to drive. I replied that the limit line is for safety and there might be pedestrians who need to cross. She yelled, "There is no one f*ing here!"

I detest bad drivers, especially drivers who blame and condemn other drivers for their own reckless driving. I see it all the time. It is never their fault, and it is always everyone else’s fault.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#129603 - 11/02/05 06:25 PM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: Leo_V]
HellofallHells Offline
CoS Warlock

I think I've hit a nerve!

#129604 - 11/02/05 10:12 PM Herd everywhere. [Re: HellofallHells]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
I challenge you to find a social behavior that does not exhibit the herd tendencies.

They behave they way they think ... or whatever passes for thinking for them.

#129605 - 11/02/05 10:33 PM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: HellofallHells]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
Here is another example…

I’m on the expressway and the cars are moving at a desperately slow pace. I guess there must be an accident ahead slowing the traffic. After half and hour of inch-by-inch advance, I finally reach the point where the line is slowing.

There is in fact an accident… but it is not blocking the line at all. A car had crashed against the concrete divider and a police car is parked behind him. The cause of the knot is that every driver slows down when he passes besides the site of the accident, just to look. Once they satisfy their curiosity, they speed ahead. The expressway is clear and empty ahead of the site of the accident.

Every driver slows down for a few seconds to look, but this time ads to the ones behind him and at the end of the line these is almost an hour of accumulated wait.

All because every one of those idiots, apparently had never seen a cop talking to someone who ruined his paint against a concrete wall... so they had to stop and look.

#129606 - 11/05/05 12:42 AM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: HellofallHells]
Tex_Talionis Offline
CoS Member

If you don't mind a rather quiet ride, the most noise I usually like in a car ride is music playing at a nice level instead of blasting.

If all else fails I'll just make sure the woman I am with enjoys driving and have her do all the driving
Citizen Infernal Empire
Test Everything.

"The things that come to those who wait may be things left by those who got there first!"

#129607 - 11/05/05 03:06 AM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: Tex_Talionis]
HellofallHells Offline
CoS Warlock

Don't you love it when the car next to you seems to be advancing from the power of bass drum beats. BOOM chick BOOM chick BOOM...
Wow, that sound system may be saving them on gas!

#129608 - 11/05/05 05:28 AM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: HellofallHells]
Tex_Talionis Offline
CoS Member

While I can't say that isn't a problem where I live (it's actually a big problem and the idiots add those extra loud mufflers to the vehicle too; I say pick one obnoxiously loud thing damn it!) I don't deal with it too much. I try to be in a vehicle as little time as possible, and tend to keep windows up. In a good car you won't hear the outside world unless you decide to crack the windows, and in a true luxurious car the outside world won’t hear your music even if it’s turned up and sounds extremely loud to you; which is how it should be. I hate rude individuals who think its “cool” to shove their bad taste in my face. I appreciate the joy you can get out of blasting loud music, but reserve it for home mainly; I like to be able to hear sirens when I’m driving as well.

Although I will admit I've been guilty of blasting my music back, especially in the neighborhood I work in right now.
Citizen Infernal Empire
Test Everything.

#129609 - 11/06/05 12:38 AM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: HellofallHells]
Shylock Offline

Loc: Tiki Land
This reminds me of what I call the "Double Doors Phenomenon."

Back in high school I noticed that whenever people had to exit en masse (such as when leaving the gym after a pep rally, or upon leaving the building during a fire drill) through a set of double doors, they would do so through only one door if the other door was left shut. In many cases, someone would only have to push on the other door to move their way through, but invariably it takes a long time before anyone tries this. When one considers incidents of trampling at public events, or the necessity of a quick exit in the event of fire, this phenomenon can have serious implications.

--The Royal Me

#129610 - 11/06/05 07:36 PM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: Tex_Talionis]
HellofallHells Offline
CoS Warlock

Quote:

I like to be able to hear sirens when I’m driving as well.

Good point. Many are not as sensible as you.

#129611 - 02/28/06 08:35 AM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: HellofallHells]
Curtis Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
Excellent thread!

I'm always so surprised to find how many people you can piss off by simply going at, or under the speed limit. I'll let no idiot get under my skin while I'm behind the wheel though. Here in cow country the roads are choked with monster trucks flying at suicidal speeds who have no problem tailgating your ass, and I have no problem waving them past me to their early graves.

I also would love to carry with me a ray gun that renders cell phones dead. I see waaaay too many folks just chatting away as they swerve down the center of the road.

The motorways are just so screwed, and I can't wait for someone to invent the teleportation device.

#129612 - 02/28/06 11:15 AM Re: Herd everywhere. [Re: Nemo]
LightSnake Offline

Quote:

They behave they way they think ... or whatever passes for thinking for them.

In a Psych 101 class, a professor of mine described an experiment meant to probe the strength of the human tendency of "consensual validation"--to judge what is true/untrue based on the apparent beliefs of others:

The subject is guided to a waiting room / lobby, seated, and told they will have to a wait a while for the experiment to begin. There are three other people waiting in the lobby, reading magazines, or just sitting quietly. These three are secretly accomplices of the experimenters.

After several minutes of waiting, much black smoke begins to pour into the room from an air vent on the upper wall. The three secret accomplices ignore this, acting like nothing is wrong or unusual about it.

The result of the experiment is that most people will choose not to react to the smoke if the accomplices don't, and will just sit there, as the room fills up with it. Consensual validation trumps survival instinct.

--LightSnake

#129613 - 02/28/06 02:36 PM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: Old_Pig]
uncleherpe Offline

once i drove by an accident on the highway that wasnt blocking traffic (it was on the other side of the median) but there were still corpses in one of the cars sooooo i kinda understand why everyone freaked over it...

I drive like everyone else is high, stupid or both. I am a really, really safe driver. Ive been in the 'herd lane' because I get in my lane and I stay there, even if its the slow lane. I only pass people if they are going under the speed limit for no apparent reason.

agressive drivers make me laugh. they always change lanes at the very last second only to end up next to me at the light. I feel a sort of satisfaction when that happens.

#129614 - 02/28/06 05:43 PM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: HellofallHells]
False_Messiah78 Offline
Banned

Loc: New York State
Quote:

Don't you love it when the car next to you seems to be advancing from the power of bass drum beats. BOOM chick BOOM chick BOOM...
Wow, that sound system may be saving them on gas!

Oh, what I really enjoy is when they leave their car running in my workplace parking lot for everybody in the store to 'enjoy' their "music".

Then they act as though I am infringing on their constitutional rights when I tell them to turn their bass down when they are on my company's PRIVATE property!

SETI@Home Team

#129615 - 02/28/06 06:46 PM Re: Herd everywhere. [Re: LightSnake]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
My ass.

If I see "black smoke" streaming into a room, I'm out of there.

Those that don't follow can figure out what it is without me.
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a person’s faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#129616 - 02/28/06 09:51 PM Cliff senario! [Re: HellofallHells]
Asenath Offline

Indeed! My driving instructor merrily told me of an incident he had two years ago during a rainstorm. There was a near river crossing sideways over the highway, so he stopped at the side, seeing the water had whitecaps. When in doubt, stop and see what happens to other people? It was a good idea at this time, because soon after, three cars went over the side of a deep trough, one after another! Evidently, the water had eroded the soil underneath away and caused that part of the road to crumble.

Edited by Asenath (02/28/06 09:52 PM)

#129617 - 03/01/06 02:20 AM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: HellofallHells]
IX Von ZehEhv Offline

CoS Warlock

The most prevalent problem I encounter on the roads is ignorance. People are often oblivious to what is around them as evidenced by their lane skipping and inability to check their 'blind spot'.

I drive many kilometres (ok, miles.. ) each year, and have found importance in not just driving sensibly but being acutely aware of what others are doing. I am confident in my abilities, but lack this confidence in others. I have had many close calls due to silly mistakes of others, that could have been much more serious had I not been aware.

My advice is to worry about the driving of others as much as you do your own.

#129618 - 03/01/06 04:35 PM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: HellofallHells]
crackergirl Offline

Loc: Kansas
Quote:

if they bothered to look, they could become the leader of the pack,

It might not be such a good thing to be the "leader of the pack" if the pack is a bunch of morons. Still, I think I'd choose to be the leader of the morons instead of just another moron follower.

Damn lemmings. JUMP ALREADY!!!

#129619 - 03/01/06 07:13 PM Hard-on wheels [Re: HellofallHells]
DataLore Offline

Loc: Holodeck 3
It never ceases to amuse me when males compete by means of reckless driving and other erratic driving behaviors to be the alpha flock-ling.

The duration of and loudness of "Burning rubber", engine throttling, or how many "donuts" one can turn is taken into consideration by all females when determining the size of a male's manhood.
The same applies to motorcycles with the addition of how long and how high of speed one can ride on one wheel. With the exception to motor cycles, sound system bass/volume is also taken into consideration when measuring a man's endowment.

Though these behaviors can be exhibited at random during any commute down any street, they can be more frequently observed at the mating/proving grounds hosted by particular large parking-lot. It can easily be identified as resembling a small continuously circling parade of vehicals.

#129620 - 03/01/06 07:16 PM Re: Hard-on wheels [Re: DataLore]
Witch_Scarlet Offline

CoS Witch

Loc: Texas
It sounds, Max, as if you are describing high school!

#129621 - 03/01/06 07:41 PM Re: Hard-on wheels [Re: Witch_Scarlet]
DataLore Offline

Indeed, the species' population ,which are hormonaly fresh to mating rituals, can be observered regularly engaging in the said activities and rituals. Many of these particular male subjects continue to display mating aggresion when operating their motor vehicals until the subjects enter their sterylization periods. As one may note their survival depends upon their dominance in these competitve activities.

#129622 - 03/01/06 07:45 PM Re: Hard-on wheels [Re: DataLore]
Witch_Scarlet Offline

CoS Witch

Loc: Texas
LMAO! I think I saw that documentary.

#129623 - 03/01/06 08:09 PM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: IX Von ZehEhv]
DataLore Offline

Quote:

I drive many kilometres (ok, miles.. )

I'm reminiscing on The Simpsons episode: "Mr. Plow" when Homer is shopping at a Russian import car lot:

Crazy Vaclav: "She can go 300 hectares to a tank of kerosene.

Homer: "What country is this car from?"

Crazy Vaclav: "It no longer exists."

#129624 - 03/01/06 08:29 PM Re: Hard-on wheels [Re: DataLore]
tovasshi Offline

Loc: Banana, Canada
I always found that guys with fancy cars, bling bling and all the chicks had smaller... er... gear shifters than the um... the joysticks of quiet, skinny computer nerds.

Edit: I have also noticed a trend where the nerds have started to bling out their towers with lights and flashy things.

Edited by tovasshi (03/01/06 08:30 PM)

#129625 - 03/01/06 09:31 PM To be clear... [Re: DataLore]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
To be clear such behavior if effective should cause the human female to desire to mate with the powerful vehicle and not the comparatively impotent driver.

#129626 - 03/01/06 09:40 PM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: HellofallHells]
Barb Offline

CoS Member

I recall a time when I stopped at a red light. I was in the right lane, and I was the first car that was in line for that time the light was red. This idiot behind me was going to turn right, and I was going to go straight. The person behind me was such a maniac that he (or she) drove up the curb and through the grass to make their turn and then went speeding off, just because they couldn’t wait another minute. I just laugh at people like that.

I see people, who are in the right lane, going out into the intersection to let the car behind them have enough room to make a right turn on a red light. I never do that; I stay stopped at the line, and if someone wants to turn right, then they have to wait.

When I am driving, I like to go the speed limit, even if it makes people angry. I have never gotten a speeding ticket before. It’s just not worth having to pay a bunch of money for something stupid and having it get put onto a record. Also, many intersections in my area have cameras up by the lights to catch people who run red lights or speed, in which people who do that would get a ticket in the mail. I think that is a good idea.

"Life is the great indulgence-death the great abstinence. Therefore, make the most of life-here and now!" ~Anton Szandor LaVey

"The true test of anyone's worth as a living creature is how much he can utilize what he has." ~Anton Szandor LaVey

"Twenty percent of your priorities will give you 80 percent of your production, IF you spend your time, energy, money, and personnel on the top 20 percent of your priorities." ~The Pareto Principle, as stated by John C. Maxwell

#129627 - 03/01/06 09:51 PM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: crackergirl]
HellofallHells Offline
CoS Warlock

Wow, old threads will rise again!

Quote:

It might not be such a good thing to be the "leader of the pack" if the pack is a bunch of morons.

By "leader of the pack", I just meant to be first in line. No metaphorical leading of morons.

#129628 - 03/01/06 10:03 PM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: Barb]
HellofallHells Offline
CoS Warlock

Quote:

The person behind me was such a maniac that he (or she) drove up the curb and through the grass to make their turn and then went speeding off, just because they couldn’t wait another minute.

People are in such a hurry because they are very busy. Remember, you cannot be successful and happy in life if you are not constantly "busy".

#129629 - 03/01/06 10:38 PM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: Barb]
Old_Pig Offline

A couple of years ago, I had the phone number for my computer repair business on a sticker on my car. One day I'm driving and the phone rings. When I pick up I hear a voice that says "dude, you are going too slow!”

It was the guy in the car behind me!

I told him I was driving at the exact speed posted on the signs for that road and he kept telling me "You’re going too slow, trust me!"

Next day I took the sticker off. Nobody called me to fix computers anyway, only idiots.

#129630 - 03/01/06 11:02 PM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: Old_Pig]
uncleherpe Offline

Quote:

A couple of years ago, I had the phone number for my computer repair business on a sticker on my car. One day I'm driving and the phone rings. When I pick up I hear a voice that says "dude, you are going too slow!”

It was the guy in the car behind me!

I told him I was driving at the exact speed posted on the signs for that road and he kept telling me "You’re going too slow, trust me!"

Next day I took the sticker off. Nobody called me to fix computers anyway, only idiots.

thats fucking hilarious!! haha!

oh- about the whole cell phone thing- my mom is one of those people who can drive very well while on a cell phone. I think that she should still be able to talk and drive because she does it well. Perhaps it could be an extra fine if you get caught driving recklessly while on a phone?

#129631 - 03/01/06 11:10 PM Re: Hard-on wheels [Re: DataLore]
False_Messiah78 Offline
Banned

Loc: New York State
I don't understand why people slow down to look at accident scenes. I love looking at them while driving...and I DO look at them but while maintaining my regular speed.

I will, however, slow down a bit if I am approaching a police officer who has pulled over a car - out of respect for the officer as well as his/her safety.

SETI@Home Team

#129632 - 03/01/06 11:29 PM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: HellofallHells]
DataLore Offline

Quote:

Quote:

The person behind me was such a maniac that he (or she) drove up the curb and through the grass to make their turn and then went speeding off, just because they couldn’t wait another minute.

People are in such a hurry because they are very busy. Remember, you cannot be successful and happy in life if you are not constantly "busy".

Indeed, the appearance of busy is the popular façade of importance.
This concept inversly conditions the herd to believe that success only comes from "hard work" instead of "smart work". Either that or they adopt the concept in order to praise their own insignificance, while abhorring anyone of great significance.
They will lose their jobs for not appearing to be working hard. No wonder it is of sociable importance amongst laboring slaves to appear to be in a hurry amongst themselves.

"Be quick or be dead"

#129633 - 03/01/06 11:34 PM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: uncleherpe]
Old_Pig Offline

Of course, I use it on "hands free" mode if I'm driving.

#129634 - 03/01/06 11:49 PM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: Old_Pig]
Hawkface Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
Let's just face facts, shall we? You know you are the smartest person in the world, and nowhere is this more glaringly obvious than when you are behind the wheel.

#129635 - 03/01/06 11:53 PM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: Old_Pig]
uncleherpe Offline

Quote:

Of course, I use it on "hands free" mode if I'm driving.

i thought the main problem with cell phone driving was that people arent paying attention to the road because their minds are caught up in conversation? If you can maintain a good conversation while being aware of how you are driving then go for it. for the most part when ive seen people drive like they are retarded on cell phones it was obvious that they simply werent paying attention rather than fumbling around with the phone(hey- lets dip into the turn lane next to me every few seconds and over correct into the other lane!!! half way in a lane is the main problem i see..). text messaging while driving is truly scary though!! i cant believe anyone does that, i mean really you have to look and manuver your hands and think about what you are going to write.

#129636 - 03/02/06 12:05 AM Re: To be clear... [Re: Nemo]
DataLore Offline

Quote:

To be clear such behavior if effective should cause the human female to desire to mate with the powerful vehicle and not the comparatively impotent driver.

These artificial life forms known as "motor vehicles" have not evolved enough to be anatomically correct and "fully functional", nor have they developed logic, wit, and intelligence. It is by no coincidence that these pathetic species of human beings engage in "cock blocking" the motor vehicle by averting the attention of the heated female to his seeming wealth in mating apparatus by comparison to the artificial life form. The parasitic male may be having intercourse with female, however her lustful imagery is that of the superior motor vehicle.

#129637 - 03/02/06 12:48 AM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: uncleherpe]
Old_Pig Offline

The problem with cell phones is people have it in one hand and try to control the vehicle with the other.

If somebody doesn't have anough brain capacity to keep a conversation and drive at the same time, he sholdn't be driving in the first time.

After all, there is no law against talking with the person sitting besides you while you drive. What difference is there in the practice if I'm talking to a speakerphone instead?

#129638 - 03/02/06 12:52 AM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: Hawkface]
Old_Pig Offline

Quote:

Let's just face facts, shall we? You know you are the smartest person in the world, and nowhere is this more glaringly obvious than when you are behind the wheel.

I'm not even between the 10 smartest...

But compared with the average people you see driving around this city, I'm a freaking genius!

#129639 - 03/02/06 01:24 AM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: Old_Pig]
uncleherpe Offline

Quote:

The problem with cell phones is people have it in one hand and try to control the vehicle with the other.

If somebody doesn't have anough brain capacity to keep a conversation and drive at the same time, he sholdn't be driving in the first time.

After all, there is no law against talking with the person sitting besides you while you drive. What difference is there in the practice if I'm talking to a speakerphone instead?

A lot of people drive automatics and dont need both hands on the wheel. I know- who has a problem driving and talking? well some people cant chew gum and walk... yeah.

other people in the car do contribute to distracted driving. its not as bad because there is a 2nd set of eyes in the car and can go "what the fuck are you doing??!! stop!!"

#129640 - 03/02/06 07:35 AM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: Old_Pig]
chaosjap Offline

Loc: Las Islas Pilipinas
Same thing always happen in our country. Whenever theres an accident every moron slows down just to take a peek on whats happening.

#129641 - 03/02/06 07:36 PM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: HellofallHells]
Lust Offline

Thank you for posting this hellofallhells.
Today after work I noticed a long line of traffic in the right lane while the left was completely empty all the way to the red light.
So I of course bared to the left got the green and was at my desired location in no time.
Others quickly noticed what I was doing and took to playing follow the leader all over again, but what the hell they were following me.
Hail Satan!
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#129642 - 03/02/06 07:55 PM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: HellofallHells]
SilverHammer Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Connecticut
What counts is actually thinking. In the described situation, I'd probably stay in the crowded lane unless I knew that the near-empty lane isn't for turning only.
I think people who drive recklessly, challenge complete strangers to races, etc. have a deeper problem than a desire to impress others; they are dissatisfied and bored with their lives off the road, and use their cars to try to get some sense of adventure. Truly pathetic.

www.myspace.com/savagegod

#129643 - 03/02/06 07:57 PM It is Natural [Re: DataLore]
Bedlam Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Perfidious Albion
Quote:

however her lustful imagery is that of the superior motor vehicle.

"Superior" motor vehicle. It is natural for the female to seek out what she perceives as the dominant male within the group with which to mate.

Shows of wealth/power are normal. A thousand years or more ago, said male would have been parading his herd of cows around the car park.

Or hitting his friends with sticks.

Do I look like I carry a pencil? Jason Statham

It may be Crazy
But I'm the closest thing I have
To a voice of reason

~ Gil Scott Heron

#129644 - 03/02/06 08:39 PM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: SilverHammer]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
>>I think people who drive recklessly, challenge complete strangers to races, etc. have a deeper problem than a desire to impress others; they are dissatisfied and bored with their lives off the road, and use their cars to try to get some sense of adventure. Truly pathetic.

Bingo!

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#129645 - 03/02/06 08:45 PM Re: It is Natural [Re: Bedlam]
DataLore Offline

If you're truly taking a joke seriously:

Is it really wealth/power the male is displaying when the vehicle is worth more than the male, because the male is in debt to pay off the vehicle?

#129646 - 03/02/06 08:55 PM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: HellofallHells]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
Any situation that necessitates a mass of people is going to exhibit herd-like behaviour - law of averages and all.

I make a point of driving safe. Wherever it's safest is where I'm going to drive. I'm not concerning myself with whether or not I'm a "follower" or a "leader" in this activity.

I enjoy driving, so I take my time. This often leads to me cruising along in the slow lane. I also find the slow lane is generally the safest. If a mass of slow drivers just happen to be driving in the "slow" lane, I'm not overly concerned. I'd rather get to my destination in one piece than risking my neck just to be a fast moving "leader."
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a person’s faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#129647 - 03/02/06 09:18 PM Re: It is Natural [Re: DataLore]
uncleherpe Offline

Quote:

Is it really wealth/power the male is displaying when the vehicle is worth more than the male, because the male is in debt to pay off the vehicle?

how true. I drive a rather unimpressive car, but I could drive a nice one if I wanted to sacrifice my credit.

what i laugh at is when people buy a crappy car and tack all kinds of crap onto it, and by the end they could have bought a really nice car w/the money they spent on spoilers, ground lights, etc.

#129648 - 03/03/06 11:36 PM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: HellofallHells]
Focalor Offline

I guess my neck of the woods is an exception. Man I wish I lived in your city. Around Atlanta everyone drives like a fucking lunatic. If there's a lane with about 2 car lengths of open space, you can bet some asshole is going to race around some other asshole to get there so they'll get where they're going a fraction of a second sooner. When people get on the expressway in the morning where it's only two lanes, they immediately cut their way into the left hand lane, even if there's only about 2 inches of breathing room on their front and rear bumpers. I explicitly remember from the booklet they give you at the DMVS that you're supposed to be no less than 3 seconds behind the jackass in front of you to help prevent a rear end collision. It always grinds to a halt at the same location every single damn day, but that doesn't matter, people are still doing 80 and skidding onto the median throwing up grass and mud to keep from hitting the guy in front of them. Where have all the good sheep gone? Pick one fucking lane and stay there, you BMW driving oblivious prick!

Welcome to Atlanta where the tailgaters play, and we ride on them asses like everyday.

http://focalor.tastyspleen.net

#129649 - 03/04/06 09:56 AM Finding the way [Re: HellofallHells]
luciferHammer Offline
Banned

I think trying to avoid dense traffic is better than trying to find the fastest line. It is less risky and you have the advantage to share less time with the heard.

If one has no choice, then I think it is better to keep a safe distance than anything else. There is so little time to gain by playing the snake, just a serie of risky and stupid maneuvers.

#129650 - 03/04/06 03:56 PM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: Focalor]
dragondancer Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Virginia
Quote:

I guess my neck of the woods is an exception. Man I wish I lived in your city. Around Atlanta everyone drives like a fucking lunatic. If there's a lane with about 2 car lengths of open space, you can bet some asshole is going to race around some other asshole to get there so they'll get where they're going a fraction of a second sooner. When people get on the expressway in the morning where it's only two lanes, they immediately cut their way into the left hand lane, even if there's only about 2 inches of breathing room on their front and rear bumpers. I explicitly remember from the booklet they give you at the DMVS that you're supposed to be no less than 3 seconds behind the jackass in front of you to help prevent a rear end collision. It always grinds to a halt at the same location every single damn day, but that doesn't matter, people are still doing 80 and skidding onto the median throwing up grass and mud to keep from hitting the guy in front of them. Where have all the good sheep gone? Pick one fucking lane and stay there, you BMW driving oblivious prick!

Welcome to Atlanta where the tailgaters play, and we ride on them asses like everyday.

I must be in the same neck of the woods then. That is why here in Virginia we have 10-60 car pile ups on a regular basis! Especially on the mountain highways where it can get foggy suddenly. Oh, and it isn't just the BMW's skimming the lanes, I see soccer moms flying down the highway trying to get their offspring to the next game/event/class on time, as though their lives depended on it.

Hail Satan!
"It does take an exceptional mind and a still more exceptional integrity to remain untouched by the brain-destroying influences of the world's doctrines, the accumulated evil of the centuries-to remain human, since the human is the rational." Dr. Akston in Atlas Shrugged

"Not life, but good life, is to be chiefly valued." Socrates

Dragondancer
Temple of Vampire

#129651 - 03/06/06 02:08 PM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: HellofallHells]
crackergirl Offline

Loc: Kansas
Quote:

Wow, old threads will rise again!

I figured it would be fun to go a'gravediggin' for a few.

Quote:

By "leader of the pack", I just meant to be first in line. No metaphorical leading of morons.

If you're the fist in line, then you are leading something. Otherwise, it wouldn't be called "first in line." It would just be called "Some dude standing by himself." They will follow you. They probably are following you right now. Paranoid yet?

#129652 - 03/06/06 08:00 PM Re: Herd on wheels [Re: dragondancer]
Focalor Offline

Quote:

Especially on the mountain highways where it can get foggy suddenly

Oh hell yeah. Up in the north Georgia mountains it's actually worse when there is NO fog. You hear stories all the time about people on crotch rockets thinking they can negotiate the turns at 60 mph. Nope, it don't work. Gravity is a bitch. My dad got stupid several years ago on his old Kawasaki Concourse and flung himself down a mountain. He had to ride all the way home with a broken collar bone and bent handlebars. People on 4 wheels aren't much better. I travel up to Highlands North Carolina to work every so often, but you'd think it's England the way every other car crosses the center line.

Quote:

I see soccer moms flying down the highway trying to get their offspring to the next game/event/class on time, as though their lives depended on it.

I can't blame 'em. I'd want those little bastards out of my hair as soon as possible too.

http://focalor.tastyspleen.net

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Forum Stats
12009 Members
73 Forums
43824 Topics
405198 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements