Topic Options
#131469 - 11/09/05 04:00 PM 9th Enochian Key Question
novusopiate Offline

Loc: Texas, USA
Excerpt from the Ninth Key:
**If quote is violating any copyright laws, please inform me and I will edit to comply**

"A mighty guard of fire with two-edged swords flaming (which contain the vials of delusion, whose wings are of worm-wood and the marrow of salt)[...]"

My question pertains mainly to the "substances" which Dr. LaVey refers to during the introduction of and in the text of this Key.

He points that this Key is warning against:
"the use of substances, devices or pharmaceuticals which might lead to the delusion and subsequent enslavement of the master".

I do not use illegal drugs. We'll get that out of the way now.
But many (especially recovering alcoholics) will point out the drug-like qualities of alcohol. I enjoy the occasional brew but have rarely partook to the point of complete inebriation. I have also partook of Absinthe once (whose active ingredient is wormwood or thuijone) and throughly enjoyed the flavor and aroma. (A fine drink might I add )

Is this key mainly warning about the use of said substances in excess, or acting as a general warning to stay away for they may ultimately lead to disempowering the user?

As a side note, it is highly possible that I am looking to much into this. I may just need to come back to it at a later time.

Ave Satanas!

Edited by novusopiate (11/09/05 04:01 PM)

#131470 - 11/09/05 04:04 PM Re: 9th Enochian Key Question [Re: novusopiate]
Helliott Offline

Loc: VA
Quote:

Is this key mainly warning about the use of said substances in excess, or acting as a general warning to stay away for they may ultimately lead to disempowering the user?

I see it as being a warning against the excessive use of such substances, to the point in which it controls you. Addiction, for example.
"I come from hell, presently, to take you there!" -Edward "Blackbeard" Teach "You can't spell Slaughter without Laughter!" "What must one do to become blessed? That I do not know, but I say to you: 'Be Blessed, and then do whatever you please." -Friedrich Nietzsche

#131471 - 11/09/05 04:16 PM Re: 9th Enochian Key Question [Re: novusopiate]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
"the use of substances, devices or pharmaceuticals which might lead to the delusion and subsequent enslavement of the master".

Don not get confused on this issue. Dr. LaVey and the Church of Satan have always been against the use of illegal and mind-altering drugs. There are clear passages on this in THE SATANIC WITCH as well as interviews.

This extends to alcohol or any other LEGAL substance when it results in delusion, lack of self-control, impaired judgement, or any form of compulsive behavior or addiction.

You can readily identify people who ARE NOT with the program by their use or advocacy of mind altering substances.

Anyone who does not understand this (or who is idiotic enough to quibble about coffee and cigarrettes), should get on their fucking horse and ride.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder. -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#131472 - 11/09/05 04:20 PM Re: 9th Enochian Key Question [Re: Svengali]
novusopiate Offline

Loc: Texas, USA
I have yet to read The Satanic Witch, but (as with all of Dr. LaVey's works) plan to do so.

Thank you both for clarification.

#131473 - 11/09/05 06:13 PM Re: 9th Enochian Key Question [Re: Svengali]
ribbit Offline

I know the answer but need to ask just to have it in black and white...

How about powerful mind-altering substances legally prescribed by a physician to treat a medical condition? Amphetamines, opiates, anti-depressants, anti-psychotics, barbiturates and so on all have their proper place in medicine. An old friend of mine only functions because of the dexedrine he takes three times a day(?!) to treat his narcolepsy. Another one who died a while back avoided the wasting and nausea of his last few months of chemo through (doctor-prescribed) medical marijuana.

#131474 - 11/09/05 06:35 PM Re: 9th Enochian Key Question [Re: ribbit]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
Quote:

legally prescribed by a physician to treat a medical condition

The answer is obvious.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder. -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#131475 - 11/09/05 06:51 PM Re: 9th Enochian Key Question [Re: ribbit]
Virus9 Offline
CoS Priest

Loc: Florida
I believe this question was already answered.

This extends to alcohol or any other LEGAL substance when it results in delusion, lack of self-control, impaired judgement, or any form of compulsive behavior or addiction.

In the cases you sited, your friends where prescribed these substances by their doctors. Hence, so long as they take them in the manner in which they're prescribed, they are legal and therefore fall under that statement.

There's a difference between using prescribed substances to to treat a medical condition and being a slave to addiction.

"Recognize the phrase 'national interest' as a synonym for 'self-interest' and you will find no moral obstacle that cannot be removed from the highway of ambition."
-Lewis Lapham

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
-Winston Churchill

#131476 - 11/09/05 10:31 PM Re: 9th Enochian Key Question [Re: Svengali]
ribbit Offline

Thanks Virus9 and Svengali. The answer was indeed obvious. On important issues it can be worthwhile to pin it down and make it explicit.

Forum Stats
12010 Members
73 Forums
43824 Topics
405200 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements