Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#133618 - 11/24/05 04:21 PM Re: Worship of the Master [Re: ribbit]
Mekhet Offline

Loc: The Levant
Indeed, there is a certain resonance with LaVey's personal tastes and style among quite a few people out there and I don't appreciate the spirit of things either.
And as said earlier, it's much more interesting and stimulating to see people develop their own styles instead of adopting (and adapting to) a pre-existing package.

Actually, the whole 1940's style reminds me of the clothes the Haredim (ultra-orthodox religionists) here wear. It's like a uniform...

But as the saying goes, on taste and scent...

#133619 - 11/24/05 06:03 PM Re: What I find far more interesting... [Re: Caesar]
Mjollnir Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Gone
Quote:

Makes one wonder just what are they doing here or there.

Yes, especially when the original author of this thread is not even a CoS member. It seems rather foolish to post a thread like this on a Satanic message board and expect a positive response. Even though I got the general "gist" of what he was saying, the way it was presented left a bad taste in my mouth. It seems he is trying to water down the greatness of Anton Szandor LaVey, turning him into just another "dead guy."

As far as I am concerned, Anton Szandor LaVey was/is the Master.

#133620 - 11/24/05 06:09 PM Re: Worship of the Master [Re: ribbit]
Mjollnir Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

So did Mark Twain, Chaka Zulu and Galileo.

Yes. But they didn't create Satanism or the Church of Satan.

They didn't found the great religion that is celebrated here in this forum.

#133621 - 11/24/05 08:05 PM My ORIGINAL rebuttal [Re: ribbit]
Quiddity Offline
CoS Member

Loc: CA
You don't deserve the valuable development you would receive from my rebuttal to your statement. You probably wouldn't want it anyway--since it was not your idea, but one of my "sycophantic" approach. Good luck. You're going to need it.

Also, I can see self-preservation is an instinct you do not possess, in referring to the Honorable Doktor as "a dead guy." I'd cut back on that shit if I were you--but since I'm not, by all means, please proceed.

I get the same sensation from reading your post as I do hearing some environmentalist with nothing whatsoever to offer to the development of the world, slinging shit at "the system" in general for some fucking chipmunk dying somewhere. People with much to offer rarely begin conversations like this. Produce your superiority or blow me.

Like the Doktor wisely wrote, "My justification for the establishment of a Satanic aesthetic is my ability to perform and function in such a capacity. Let those who would challenge me produce their superiority in those realms."

Speaking of aesthetics, what kind of screen name is "ribbit"? Where's your avatar? If you're such an authority on Satanic virtues, why aren't you a member and in competition?

#133622 - 11/24/05 09:13 PM Re: Worship of the Master [Re: ribbit]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

I think what you most likely refer to are views expressed in the books The Devil's Notebook and Satan Speaks!. It is implicit in these books that many of the essays they contain are not Satanic dogma but personal views of Dr. LaVey. He was entitled to those, no? They do not have an entire page disclaiming that they are his views; any Satanist worth a damn ought to be able to figure that much out on his own.

Yet why did he write them, then? Look at the Church of Satan active membership application; a great many of the questions it contains ask personal opinions and views. Why do you suppose that is? Does it matter so much what books are your favorites, or is it why you favor them that is significant? In any of Dr. LaVey's personal opinion pieces, does he fail to convey why he felt this way, or the basis of his opinions? There is much to be gained from understanding why he thought this way. Tell me, do you think it is more important that Dr. LaVey disliked pantihose and favored garters, or is it the methods of attraction, the significance behind why women wear these things and the way he perceived them that is of issue?

It is reasonable to believe that at the time he wrote these essays, Dr. LaVey was considerably older and wiser than most of the people who will read what I write today. In a lifetime of vital existence, much insight is gained; look even now at the Priesthood, most of whom are younger than Dr. LaVey was when he wrote these essays, and consider whether even they do not have much to offer those who will learn. It is not physical age, but the amount of time one has had to to learn of the world through vital existence. I can readily state that I have gained exponentially by what I've absorbed from those with more knowledge than myself, Dr. LaVey included. How many brilliant book have I read, excellent movies have I watched, beautiful pieces of music have I taken into myself, through what I've taken from what Dr. LaVey wrote? How many Satanists would likely have stumbled upon The Circus of Dr. Lao or Freaks, both of which are very likely among the favorite books and movies of many present, if Dr. LaVey had not "discovered" them and shared with us why he found them so magical?

As for imitation; is it imitation, or a desire to step into the role? When a man enters the ritual chamber, does he not don a robe as would a wizard? When a woman wishes to command lust, does she not adorn herself with the clothing which will command men's attention? If a young Satanist one day rubs the dust from his eyes, puts on his fedora and puts Al Jolson on his turntable, is he merely mimicking Dr. LaVey, or is he more accurately placing himself in the role of that which he wishes to take on the attributes of? The wizard may take the robe off when the ritual ends, but who would deny that he should wear it when he desires magic?

#133623 - 11/24/05 10:35 PM Flattery, Imitating, and Development [Re: Nemo]
Quiddity Offline
CoS Member

Loc: CA
Thank you for that great reply, honorable Magister.

There is such a difference between following another's example and being his/her bitch, and yet this often seems paradoxical to new Satanists for some reason, and thier inability to distinguish between the two can--and should be dangerous for them. For the user who started this thread, I am amazed that someone who is so bold with his opinions seems never to have read LaVey's "In Praise of Sycophants" from Satan Speaks. Else, why the scat?

In basic training, I recall standing in the rain in the middle of some fucking wilderness in Oklahoma, with a Drill Sergeant in my face. I was in awe of him and told him so. I remember him saying "I know you're young and immature. I know you're weak. I will make you strong in spite of yourself. Watch what I do and do the same. You will walk like I walk. You will talk like I talk." Few who knew me then would recognize the person I became--nor that I was to be offered Drill Sergeant school myself one day, nor that I would nearly double in size, nor that I would hold my own with the best of them in combat.

I have been through many similar cycles since. The Doktor has been a paradigm, but I have had many others--and gained from each. The student/master relationship is pervasive through all aspects of human development--and is only unhealthy when one's balance-factor gets out of whack. While there is a major arguable difference in the forced performance of the military, and the self-reliance required by the Satanist, the point of choosing and emulating role-models still stands.

Although I have been a Satanist for many years, I have found many great examples in this forum. As I get more and more intimate with the interface, I am sure I will discover many more. There is much for me to learn, and I enjoy doing so. I hope I am able to give as I have gained.

Thank you for your wisdom, Magisters Nemo and Svengali.
I expect I will have many other to thank eventually.
There is much to value in our forum.

#133624 - 11/24/05 11:58 PM Re: Worship of the Master [Re: ribbit]
man_mind Offline
Banned

I won't apologize for my humor on this thread in another post, but I will admit that it was misplaced.

Having respect for someone who knows more than you is vital.

Being someone else is self destructive.

That is all there is and ever will be to it.

The other posts I've read are very wise. Ribbit, either get it or don't. I suggest you buy a yin yang pin, poster, or Screen saver, and study it.

If you don't take that advice, then take the advice already given through forms of suspicion; hit the road jack.

"A priest is one who harbors the ill and gives them faith because they fear death and they are weak."

#133625 - 11/26/05 08:57 PM Re: Worship of the Master [Re: ribbit]
Asmedious Offline

I agree.
Oh, but I do think women in stockings (slim ones) are hot. They even pee cute.

#133626 - 11/26/05 09:00 PM Re: Worship of the Master [Re: Asmedious]
Linguascelesta Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Europa
Socks are cuter. "The joy of socks". Ahem ;p

#133627 - 11/26/05 10:38 PM Re: Worship of the Master [Re: Linguascelesta]
Mjollnir Offline
CoS Member

I prefer naked.. Then let your tongue do the walking.. Yum.

#133628 - 11/26/05 10:49 PM Re: Worship of the Master [Re: Mjollnir]
man_mind Offline
Banned

I prefer....

A gentleman never tells.

"A priest is one who harbors the ill and gives them faith because they fear death and they are weak."

#133629 - 12/01/05 07:27 PM Re: Worship of the Master [Re: man_mind]
crackergirl Offline

Loc: Kansas
That's what really gets chicks off, ya'll. A guy that knows when to keep his mouth shut! I think I'm in love!

#133630 - 12/01/05 07:31 PM Re: Worship of the Master [Re: ribbit]
crackergirl Offline

Loc: Kansas
I think that most of the people here already know this. Redundancy is boring. Say something I don't already know.

#133631 - 12/01/05 09:08 PM Re: Worship of the Master [Re: crackergirl]
man_mind Offline
Banned

Well, well.

#133632 - 12/02/05 09:30 AM Re: Worship of the Master [Re: ribbit]
wickedmistress62 Offline

Loc: North Dakota
SEEMS I READ THIS SOMEWHERE BEFORE!!!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Forum Stats
12253 Members
73 Forums
44033 Topics
406352 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements