Topic Options
#137012 - 12/20/05 03:31 AM Winter Solstice
Charlotte Offline

Loc: California
I know that many Satanists enjoy the more secular aspects of the Christmas season, giving and receiving gifts, feasting, lurid decorations and lights, etc. Personally, I was never wild about the winter holidays, though I do savor the colder months, and like the idea of marking them with some sort of celebration.

My question is, to those of you who don't 'do' Christmas, do you observe the Winter Solstice, or have you created your own tradition of some other sort of winter bacchanal? This is something I have been considering doing myself, and I would love to hear your ideas or thoughts on the subject, if you care to share them. Thanks in advance!

#137013 - 12/20/05 07:12 AM Re: Winter Solstice [Re: Charlotte]
Ceallach Offline

Loc: Northern Virginia, USA
Seeing as my entire maternal family is Wiccan I do Yule w/ the kids, and them... Not the Sabbat Circle aspect of it, but the "We all get together and feast and exchange gifts" aspect. Then, as my brother in law's family celebrates Xmas, we go to his mother's house and exchange more gifts there
Xmas doesn't have any significance anymore save for the commercial aspect; it's all about the material things, so I'll freely admit that.
When "Father Yule" (a friend of the family dressed up in a long robe etc to give gifts to the kids) showed up this year I called out "It's Father Christmasahkwanzikaayule!" Which earned me an odd look or two but a smirk from my father at least.

I'm at the point where since none of them really MEAN anything anymore; I'll just "celebrate" whatever gets me more wrapped boxes of things I wanted Besides, seeing the look on my kids' faces when they get that book they'd wanted, or whathaveyou is awesome.

#137014 - 12/20/05 07:48 AM Re: Winter Solstice [Re: Ceallach]
Serpens Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Western New York
What I did was write my own set of rituals specific to each equinox, solstice, and most importantly, my own birthday. On each occassion I arrange to have the day off from work.

I wrote my own passages glorifying Indulgence, Strength, Intelligence, and Creativity. I then go out and demonstrate each.. some more so than others depending upon what I feel like doing.

If you wish to perform ceremonies, invent ones that have value to the most important person in your world: yourself.

If you have someone special in which to share in your celebration, so much the better!

#137015 - 12/20/05 12:20 PM The Salem Witches Winter Frolic, a Devilish new holiday! [Re: Charlotte]
Krowklaws Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Salem MA
...a new way to deal and/or cope or just make more fun for the holidays!

Greetings,
Here is what I did. I took the things I personally liked about the major Winter holidays and incorporated them into a celebration all of my own. This new event called the Winter Frolic had everthing woven into it from sentimental old Christmas Carols to the Wonderful Winter Warlock and guests in horned santa hats!
The result was called... The Salem Witches Winter Frolic.
Here is a description of the Event...

" Conjour holiday cheer and yuletude magic as you come together for an evening of wintry enchantment. Celebrate the icy world of glittering snow, magickal frost and golden gifts of the heart by giving yourself to those who deserve your love. The Salem Witches invite you to a celebratory banquet of gourmet delights and revelry. On this night when darkness is at it's zenith we will light the Yuletree by casting a "spell of illuminating infernal fire" to warm our hearts and serve as a sentiel becon to call kindred folks together and come in from out of the cold!

It is whispered that Jack Frost, the Winter Warlock, and The Snow Queen will be sharing thier glittering magic to all those attend. This spectral Court will gift each guest with a crystal snow flake and evergreen bough both enchanted to melt away cold and lonely memories which try to chill our hearts. Before the evenings revelry "the Winter Warlock" will cast a special spell of holiday memory with his magic crystal snow ball enabeling us to embrace the memory of our loved ones who have died. They live in us! Following the ritual, we will proceed to celebrate the darknest night of the year as we revel in the giving and recieveing of gifts, festing on fine food and drinks, allowing the power of laughter and friendship premiate and charge the banquet hall. Just before midnight The "Jingle Bell" Drag Show will really have everyone rockin' around the Christmas tree! The Frolic includes...
Dinner
DJ
Dancing
Ritual
Drag Review/Show

The Salem Witches Winter Frolic promises to warm your heart and soul. Have a Holly Jolly Christmas!
This event completely sold out, and was one of themost anticipated Holiday Parties in 2005 on the North Shore!
Any event which entertains people should always have elements, of merriment, culture, and perhaps even a dash of good ole seasonal kitsch ( for what ever season ) thrown in for good measure!

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.

Infernally Yours,
Krow
PS. I hope this encourage some to take control of the season mess and make something wonderful new and excited to celebrate and revel in!

Attachments
316560-Carlysnowqueen.jpg (38 downloads)

#137016 - 12/20/05 12:23 PM Re: The Salem Witches Winter Frolic, a Devilish new holiday! [Re: Krowklaws]
Krowklaws Offline
CoS Warlock

Sexy vixens, wrapped in red velvet and white fur!

Attachments
316562-Leanneandkelly.jpg (45 downloads)

Edited by Krowklaws (12/20/05 12:24 PM)

#137017 - 12/20/05 12:35 PM Re: The Salem Witches Winter Frolic, a Devilish new holiday! [Re: Krowklaws]
Krowklaws Offline
CoS Warlock

Season Merriment and fun...
Let the good times roll, atmosphere, elegance, and attitude are everything!
Infernally Yours,
Krow

Attachments
316563-thedance.jpg (39 downloads)

#137018 - 12/20/05 01:46 PM Re: Winter Solstice [Re: Charlotte]
crackergirl Offline

Loc: Kansas
My family has always celebrated the solstice by decorating a tree, giving gifts, and getting drunker than we've ever been. My family is German, and they're pagans, and we've always employed alcohol in our celebrations of this holiday. Mostly, we drink a lot of rum, homemade wine, and tons of beer, but I like whiskey better, so that's what I drink. I started making wine about a month and a half ago (my family's traditional business was always wine making, and I use what resembles the recipe my great grandfather used before the Nazis destroyed his brewery during the second world war), and it's in the refrigerator right now just waiting for the season to begin (THAT'S TOMORROW!!! YEAH!!!). It usually takes about a month to ferment. My family's favorite is raspberry wine. Raspberries grow wild in Germany along the banks of the Rhine, and my Oma loves them. They remind her of the old country I guess. Our celebration usually begins on the 21st, and it lasts until New Years Day. We get really drunk, we get really fat, and we give each other great gifts! My sister is a Christian, but when she comes to my mother's house for the solstice, she's been instructed to leave Jesus at the door. She gladly complies because she knows how much fun it is to celebrate Mom's way.

#137019 - 12/20/05 09:43 PM What? [Re: Charlotte]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
What? Don't you slay all the cattle that can't be fed over the winter and have a feast at your house too?

#137020 - 12/20/05 10:23 PM Re: Winter Solstice [Re: Charlotte]
man_mind Offline
Banned

I celebrate what I call the quarterly, (Each season until the new summer - Just the oppisate of "new years") as if it were my own birthday.

Except, this is the earths birthday. Another season the earth has survived beatings, that any human would die from in a matter of seconds. Hail the Earth!

"A priest is one who harbors the ill and gives them faith because they fear death and they are weak."

#137021 - 12/21/05 02:06 PM Re: What? [Re: Nemo]
Charlotte Offline

Loc: California
Sir, cows are all well and good, but I find that certain bipedal creatures are far more docile and easily herded- as well as being more nourishing.

#137022 - 12/21/05 02:13 PM Re: What? [Re: Charlotte]
Linguascelesta Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Europa
How very true.

(Beware... Above lies fact and fancy, truth and metaphor - discriminate with care).

I will be doing dark things tonight, for sure.

#137023 - 12/21/05 04:12 PM Re: Winter Solstice [Re: Charlotte]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.
Seeing as how it is in the mid 80's fahrenheit at my home
today, I think enjoying some iced tea in the garden is
appropriate.

#137024 - 12/21/05 04:54 PM Re: Winter Solstice [Re: man_mind]
chimera Offline

Loc: Sacramento, CA U.S.A.
I also enjoy the quarters and cross quarters. Eight times each year to get up and out to celebrate still being ALIVE!!!
Humans have a built in need to let go and party. Why clutter it up with religio-social sludge and sheeple enhancing tripe??

#137025 - 12/21/05 07:48 PM Re: Winter Solstice [Re: chimera]
man_mind Offline
Banned

Exactly. Listening to Grandma is certainly not my idea of celebration, and neither is listening to no sack having white guys sing christmas songs, all the while hoping deep down they can be remotely like baby blue eye's. It is a pathetic picture.

I prefer being around these people just long enough to eat their food, drink their drink, and take their gifts. Then it is out the door for me, over to some desolate area to perform a ritual, and enjoy life solo style; all the while hoping their christ-mass tree bursts into flames, hopefully resulting in one of those tiny blinking christ-mass lights shooting into someones eye.

"A priest is one who harbors the ill and gives them faith because they fear death and they are weak."

#137026 - 12/21/05 08:13 PM Re: Winter Solstice [Re: Charlotte]
DevilJosh Offline

Loc: Michigan
I celebrate the winter solstice but its cool because it's the one time of year I don't have to laugh at my mom for saying grace at dinner. I spend the 24th with them and out of respect for me nothing Christian is said and my dad even takes down the pic of Jesus they have hanging in the kitchen. Sure it pisses my phony theology expert of a brother in law off but who cares. We usually eat food most people would have at a tailgate party and talk about life in general. And nary an X-mas tune is heard, tho I am a sucker for the Chipmunks X-mas album.

Forum Stats
12218 Members
73 Forums
44001 Topics
406140 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements