Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#140074 - 01/11/06 06:25 PM "go away"
fatebender Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Sin City
I often read people's posts about how annoyed they are by the behavior of people they converse with. I wonder how it is they get "stuck" talking to someone they don't like. It seems to me that if you're on the job, you have a perfect excuse to end a conversation, work. At a nightclub or in other public settings, you aren't obligated to speak to anyone. Abide Satanic Rule #11. Take an example from Magister Rose, tell them to "go away."

For those rare occassions when you do have to spend "polite time" with a person you hate, I offer a few suggestions for staying sane:

1. You do the talking. Simply take-over the conversation and lecture about something you like. If this bothers them, who cares? At least you haven't told them to fuck off.

2. Ask them to change the subject. It's perfectly alright to say you aren't interested when someone is telling you something. They might feel put off, but most people aren't going to make an issue out of it.

3. Play dumb. Be vacant. Fill the gaps in their gabbing with uh huhs, hmmms, and wows, until they shut up. It works.

Do you really worry about what these people think of you? The more they like you, the more likely they are to bother you some more.

#140075 - 01/11/06 07:03 PM Re: "go away" [Re: fatebender]
dragondancer Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Virginia
Quote:

1. You do the talking. Simply take-over the conversation and lecture about something you like. If this bothers them, who cares? At least you haven't told them to fuck off.

2. Ask them to change the subject. It's perfectly alright to say you aren't interested when someone is telling you something. They might feel put off, but most people aren't going to make an issue out of it.

3. Play dumb. Be vacant. Fill the gaps in their gabbing with uh huhs, hmmms, and wows, until they shut up. It works.

Do you really worry about what these people think of you? The more they like you, the more likely they are to bother you some more.

Also, if you do those things Fatebender has listed, they may go away on their own. Wouldn't that be nice? You get rid of them, and they believe it was their own idea!

Hail Satan!
"It does take an exceptional mind and a still more exceptional integrity to remain untouched by the brain-destroying influences of the world's doctrines, the accumulated evil of the centuries-to remain human, since the human is the rational." Dr. Akston in Atlas Shrugged

"Not life, but good life, is to be chiefly valued." Socrates

Dragondancer
Temple of Vampire

#140076 - 01/11/06 08:01 PM Re: "go away" [Re: fatebender]
Satanya Offline
Banned

Oh, I would hate to face one of those "gotta face it", must, must, must: I can really, not even begin to imagine what those would be like, because I leave, I usually just leave. I don´t like it: I walk.

But I will keep your suggestions in mind.

HS!

#140077 - 01/11/06 08:07 PM Re: "go away" [Re: fatebender]
uncleherpe Offline

My work is full of chatty women, most of them 40 something moms or 20 somethings on their third kid. they kind of attack you with conversation about their children or pregnancy or placentas or breasfeeding or possibly how their babys daddy is in jail*UUUGH*. I usually say something really weird/gross and they leave. Something medical (freak accidents, how surgeries are performed, etc).

small offices are hard to deal with in that respect, saying 'leave me alone' would get you talked about in a bad way, it shouldnt be a big deal but it is. I would rather be labeled a weirdo than a bitch at my current job. My job is pretty good outside of who works there, and at least the people are nice even if they are a bit stupid.

#140078 - 01/11/06 08:59 PM Re: "go away" [Re: uncleherpe]
Satanya Offline
Banned

So I take you have returned all your tapes by now?

#140079 - 01/11/06 09:31 PM Re: "go away" [Re: fatebender]
Jack_Lantern Offline
CoS Member

Loc: America
Quote:

This is something I do quite often with members of my own family.

#140080 - 01/12/06 09:51 AM Re: "go away" [Re: fatebender]
Mead_Honeywine Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
Wouldn't happen to be a fan of "The Addiction" would you?

#140081 - 01/12/06 12:58 PM Re: the addiction [Re: Mead_Honeywine]
fatebender Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

Wouldn't happen to be a fan of "The Addiction" would you?

No. What is it?

#140082 - 01/12/06 04:42 PM Re: the addiction [Re: fatebender]
Mead_Honeywine Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
"The Addiction" is a vampire movie, and probably my favorite. You can't side with the vampires, because they're blood addicts. You can't side with the vampire's prey, because they are chosen for their appalling weakness in the face of danger. Addiction is God here.

I thought your post was a subtle hint at the movie because the most memorable line from it is the question the vampires ask once they corner their prey, "Why don't you just tell me to go away?"

Not being a psychic vampire myself, I wonder if psychic vampires muse over why their targets don't just tell them to go away. Are they that aware of the their power that they would marvel over another's weakness? Or are they self-delusioned into believing they are entitled? In the film, the fact that the victim won't say "go away" frees the vampire from any guilt. Whether conscious of their power or convinced of their right, the film's vampires feel no guilt, show no mercy, and don't want to quit. Neither do the world's psychic ones.

#140083 - 01/12/06 04:57 PM Re: the addiction [Re: Mead_Honeywine]
fatebender Offline
CoS Member

Sounds like a pretty cool movie. I'll look for it.

Quote:

I wonder if psychic vampires muse over why their targets don't just tell them to go away. Are they that aware of the their power that they would marvel over another's weakness?

Psychic vampires haven't got any power, utter helplessness is part of their horror. They are bottomless pits for sympathy and obligation.

If someone is aware that they manipulate people into giving them what they want, that's a practicioner of lesser magic.

Quote:

Or are they self-delusioned into believing they are entitled? In the film, the fact that the victim won't say "go away" frees the vampire from any guilt. Whether conscious of their power or convinced of their right, the film's vampires feel no guilt, show no mercy, and don't want to quit. Neither do the world's psychic ones.

If you tell them to go away, they pout, and think you're a bad person. The way to get rid of them is to ignore them completely. Don't return their calls, don't answer the door when they come to it, and never, ever give them any money.

#140084 - 01/12/06 05:06 PM Re: "go away" [Re: fatebender]
DataLore Offline

Loc: Holodeck 3
Quote:

For those rare occassions when you do have to spend "polite time" with a person you hate, I offer a few suggestions for staying sane:

A robust passing of gas in their general direction will also do the trick.

#140085 - 01/13/06 12:38 PM Re: "go away" [Re: fatebender]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
I have a bad(?) habit of turning and walking away, while someone is talking if I get bored, or it is obvious the other person has no interest in hearing my side. I even do it to the boss. Guess that's why I got no Christmas bonus this year.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#140086 - 01/13/06 10:22 PM Re: "go away" [Re: fatebender]
man_mind Offline
Banned

I wonder what a telemarketer who had this "some what (?) invented (?) affliction (?)" would do to abide by the rule.......

there are exceptions to every rule, but I digress.

At times, people do get aggrivated by the same things over and over, whether or not there are rules that one can or should follow.

It is the simple scientific fact that eventually, white noise will give you a head ache.

Edited by man_mind (01/13/06 10:25 PM)

"A priest is one who harbors the ill and gives them faith because they fear death and they are weak."

#140087 - 01/19/06 04:25 PM Re: "go away" [Re: fatebender]
The_Sixth_Circle Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Hell; where else?
Sound advice, fatebender; sound advice.

While I frequently have to put up with people I dislike, disrespect or (too often) despise, there is another way to deal with it...

Feign interest. You can be sure that if you treat someone with such reverence that you hold their arm or appear a little over-eager, then they will be the ones who try to get away from you. After that, they will tell all the other simpletons you have no time for, that you are a fool who is desparate for attention and that, consequently, you should be avoided.

In otherwords, let the idiot do the work for you.

Truth, in matters of religion, is simply the opinion that has survived. - Sir Oscar Wilde

#140088 - 01/31/06 03:55 PM Re: "go away" [Re: fatebender]
Shylock Offline

Loc: Tiki Land
Another personal favorite: Insincerity .

While talking to someone, turn your body away from them, and only respond to what they're saying with "Yeah" and "Uh huh." From my experience even the greatest social idiot figures out quickly that conversation with you is just too fucking awkward. Particularly good for that guy who doesn't know what "I'm not into you" means.

--The Royal Me

#140089 - 02/01/06 06:49 AM Re: "go away" [Re: fatebender]
Alphines Offline

Loc: China
Oh,perhaps when I meet the teacher I hate extremely next time,I should pretend to be foolish~~

#140090 - 02/01/06 07:06 AM Re: "go away" [Re: fatebender]
DarkApollyon Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Brighton, England
Excellent advice!

There are a few people who latch themselves on to me with alarming regularity whenever I bump into them, despite my efforts to get shot of them! Having read your post I shall try a different tact next time I seem to have become an idiot magnet!

#140091 - 02/01/06 08:15 AM Re: "go away" [Re: fatebender]
crackergirl Offline

Loc: Kansas
Great advice!

Another thing you can do is to talk about yourself endlessly. If they say, "How are you doing?" Tell them EVERYTHING. Every last detail, especially if it's all a bunch of bullshit. NEVER EVER EVER say, "Fine, and you?" Because if you ask them about their day too, they WILL reciprocate, and you'll never be rid of them. Oh, and try to contradict everything they say and back it up with "the latest study from Discover Magazine..." and so forth. If you're always right, you'll never make any friends, so if you pretend like your opinion is the be all end all in every single conversation, then you'll not make friends with these losers. Sometimes you have to be something you completely hate in order to get what you want (or get rid of what you don't want). Opposites attract, as we all know, so if you act like an asshole, you will repel the other assholes.

#140092 - 02/01/06 12:06 PM Re: "go away" [Re: fatebender]
ThrashinHellslut Offline

Loc: Germany
The "play dumb"-tactic is great As long as he realizes, that he's at least the dumbass. I always try to stay polite and often I am. But sometimes its satisfying to tell someone, he shall "fuck off". It depends on the situation.

#140093 - 02/01/06 12:51 PM Re: "go away" [Re: ThrashinHellslut]
uncleherpe Offline

this reminds me of when I was in high school.

there was this white kid who said "dawg" and "thuggin" in like every sentance, and he annoyed me and my friends.

We decided next time he approached us we would all say "thuggin" over and over like it was an actual conversation to make him feel stupid. After we did that he said "YEAAAH we be THUGGIN." he was too stupid to know we were making fun of him. it was really quite sad. ugh.

#140094 - 02/03/06 12:25 PM Re: "go away" [Re: fatebender]
G.F.V. Offline
CoS Member

Loc: NYC
I I really don't like someone, I just ignore them and make it a point not to get into conversation in the first place.

If I really have no choice, then I either play stupid (as fatebender explained above) or I play "smart" (coming off as aloof and using obscure and archaic vocabulary words in every sentence).

#140095 - 02/03/06 12:41 PM Re: "go away" [Re: G.F.V.]
Phex Offline

Loc: Midwest
See, that's what I sometimes try doing: Playing Smart. Doesn't work too well with me since I'm not nessicarily skilled in intelligently explaining myself. I'll try that playing dumb thing.

Edited by Phex (02/03/06 12:41 PM)

#140096 - 02/05/06 11:35 AM Re: "go away" [Re: Phex]
man_mind Offline
Banned

I have a hard time playing dumb. I'm not a great actor. The best way to decide for me, is simply being silent.

They will either get annoyed and leave, or attempt a confrontaion of sorts.

Either way I get to train in several things in one moment, all thanks to the annoying person.

"A priest is one who harbors the ill and gives them faith because they fear death and they are weak."

#140097 - 02/05/06 01:49 PM Re: "go away" [Re: fatebender]
Leviathan_Rising Offline
CoS Member

I don’t have the energy to spare in order to play games with people.
I'm usually fairly blunt:
"I'm not interested in this conversation."
"I don't care about what you are saying."
"Please, select a topic I enjoy."
"I really don't care about your pathetic BS."
“I wasn’t acquainted with your mother; I don’t care if she has died.”

Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, I've garnished a reputation for being incredibly arrogant and self-serving. The people that tend to ramble on about inanities rarely bother talking to me anymore. Their silence is pleasant.
"Ethical axioms are found and tested not very differently from the axioms of science. Truth is what stands the test of experience." -Einstein

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing. " -Emerson

"The freethinking of one age is the common sense of the next." -M. Arnold

Citizen

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Stats
12199 Members
73 Forums
43980 Topics
406037 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements