Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#140243 - 01/13/06 12:14 AM Why do I like guns?
blasphemy Offline

Loc: NY, US
I couldn't think of any other section to post this in so.... Why do I enjoy guns? Knives? Weapons of all sorts? Watching fictional violence in movies or reading about it in books? Why do I like to spar with my friends? Why am I so interested with death?

Does anyone else here think of these things or share these interests?

I was thinking about this today while eating pizza with my father. It dawned on me that we have a huge industry, global, that trades, makes, improves, etc. weapons. The defense companies are wealthy as hell and it seems that there is really no need. Yes yes, I understand that we can be attacked at any moment and we need nuclear weapons to defend ourselves. I'm not going to bother opening the can of worms over WoMD's or shit like that.

But haven't we reached a point as animal that we can protect ourselves on a satisfactory level, and to constantly improve upon our bombs so that they can kill more and more people is, at the least, unnecissary? I understand that weapons and tools have been the two most progressive forces in our history, our being the human race, but is there ever a point that we stop?

Either way, is there a reason I am fascinated with explosions? Does this need for improvement upon unnecissary weapons make me feel like I need to arm myself and then improve my arms? Just after turning 18 I got back into collecting knives. I think they're very pretty and look great as wall peices, aside from being practical in use. But never had I considered guns. I always thought them to be the cowards way of killing someone. But in more recent times (especially after hearing plenty of cases of home invasions going on around my area) I've really considered buying a rifle, shotgun, possibly a handgun. Why did I see no use for these things before?

I wonder sometimes is my fondness for violence is abnormal. Like when reading case studies on serial killers and their misanthropy intertwined with their ammoral belief structure. Some of them believe that if every human had to, he could murder to save his life. I always thought that true. I never considered this way of thinking to be wrong until seeing that it was a standard to detect pathological narcissism. In any case, I thought that I couldn't be alone in my love for weapons because there is an entire community who love guns, knives, and violence. They are the NRA, most sci-fi nerds, and many movie goers, comic book readers, video game players, cartoon advocats, WWF fans, and most sports fans. I would never want to associate with these people, but none of them (as a direct corrilation) have gone on serial killing sprees. Maybe they are just too pussy to get off their fat asses and kill someone without remorse.

Either way, I think I'm capable of killing another person if giving the right circumstance. I just want to know if I'm alone in that feeling. I mean, aside from those mentioned just above.

#140244 - 01/13/06 12:27 AM Re: Why do I like guns? [Re: blasphemy]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

This is sort of addressing two topics.

There is nothing wrong with being aware that you would be willing to use any force necessary to preserve your life. Guns are a way to do that. A fondness for guns isn't criminal or insane, its a pleasure like any other. I like my weapons, I practice with them frequently and I have a sense of attachment to my personal firearms.

The idea that every person would be willing to kill to preserve himself is false. Many people are shorn sheep willing to die rather than offend their impotent god. The anti-gun crowd is a good example of this type, the thinking that says "If a criminal attacks you, just take it, give him what he wants." These people deserve whatever they get. That's the law of the jungle.

As for your fascination with violence: whether or not its a negative thing depends on how you express it. We may not get to choose our tastes, but we can choose how we deal with it. If you want to collect knives and read war novels, go for it. Join the military if you really want some action. Just keep your nose clean.

#140245 - 01/13/06 12:48 AM Re: Why do I like guns? [Re: blasphemy]
Jack_Lantern Offline
CoS Member

Loc: America
Quote:

Why do I enjoy guns? Knives? Weapons of all sorts? Watching fictional violence in movies or reading about it in books? Why do I like to spar with my friends? Why am I so interested with death?

I don't know much about you, but is it possible that you are an extremely sexual person? The connection between lust and aggression is pretty deep in primates, and you may just be more in touch with this primal urge.

Quote:

I wonder sometimes is my fondness for violence is abnormal.

What is normal? As long as you abide by the law, what does it matter? It is good that you are analyzing yourself, but sometimes, a knife is just a knife...

#140246 - 01/13/06 02:19 AM Re: Why do I like guns? [Re: blasphemy]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.
" In any case, I thought that I couldn't be alone in my love for weapons because there is an entire community who love guns, knives, and violence. They are the NRA, most sci-fi nerds, and many movie goers, comic book readers, video game players, cartoon advocats, WWF fans, and most sports fans. I would never want to associate with these people, but none of them (as a direct corrilation) have gone on serial killing sprees. Maybe they are just too pussy to get off their fat asses and kill someone without remorse. "

Do you have any actual data to back this up or are you just
making a broad-swept, hand wave type of an assertion based
on your opinion?

I am not trying to be a jerk about this.

What I am curious about is whether or not this is your opinion
written as fact or if you are aware of some sort of study that
was done and presented this statement as fact.

Having a propensity towards violence in not normal.

Having a desire for self preservation is natural.

#140247 - 01/13/06 03:25 AM Re: Why do I like guns? [Re: blasphemy]
x9x Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Flanders - Europe
Quote:

I couldn't think of any other section to post this in so.... Why do I enjoy guns? Knives? Weapons of all sorts? Watching fictional violence in movies or reading about it in books? Why do I like to spar with my friends? Why am I so interested with death?

You are interested with Death? I'm personally not at all..as death is my enemy. I'm interested in being alive!
I have a gun myself, practicing martial arts etc..hopefully i will never end up in a conflict where i can loose my life, or i need to end up another one. To spend time in jail for the rest of your life is equal to being death to me.
Freedom is one of the greatest things in life for sure.
You can be interested in violence, but most of the time violence and stupidity are going hand in hand. Keep that in mind. If you have a violent urge, go train hard in a gym or study martial arts, and make sure you are reaching the maximum in there..i have a healthy interest in violence and i bet alot of people do, but you need to control it..my two cents here. Buy the Fang & Claw book, it has alot of interesting things inside that are linked with violence and survival, but there's smart advice underlayered to use it when you're driven in a corner and there's really no way out.
Remember that violent movies are...just movies with fictional violence.
You ever got punched in the mouth real hard? You ever got beat down by five peeps?...i assure you, it's a very unpleasant situation. Violence can backfire very very hard.

An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest.
|| Benjamin Franklin ||

The lack of money is the root of all evil.
|| George Bernard ||

#140248 - 01/13/06 05:00 AM Re: Why do I like guns? [Re: blasphemy]
DeLamar_J Offline

Loc: Ohio
I think that human beings have a carnal desire for violence. Some fulfill this through seeing movies, video games, the shooting range, or combat sports. I can relate with you on this. I am into martial arts. It is something that I MUST do or I start getting very frustrated and moody. I need that type of violent contact in my life to satisfy that carnal need.
I think its good to be able to find your release in a good way that does not break any laws. Keep up your gun play, as long as its at the shooting range. I think its healthy for you and other people around you.
An insincere and evil friend is more to be feared than a wild beast; a wild beast may wound your body, but an evil friend will wound your mind. My personal web page---> http://www.myspace.com/39440105

#140249 - 01/13/06 08:25 AM Re: Why do I like guns? [Re: blasphemy]
Dark_Adept Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: High Hades
Like most of the inculcated guilt that organized religion has put into most of us, actively or passively, this is the end result. On a political level, yes there's those bleeding heart liberals that piss and moan about how guns kill people, but we all know the witty retort "guns don't kill people, I kill people." damn, i love that one. Anyway, I love weaponry of all sorts and I share your attraction and passion for violence. This is a country foundec, and bred on violence, in various forms. From the UFC all the way to Looney Tunes, it's been instilled our culture. As Satanists, we're even more inclined to these raw and primal instincts to violence and weaponry. This is not to say that we're all bloodthirsty dormant serial killers, but hell, I would say we're more likely to go on a killing spree if enough assholes were to provoke us and go out of their way to make our lives miserable for a neo-manifest destiny or some other farcical bullshit that they could come up with. But no, your interests only become an issue when like Leviathan said, you cross legal boundaries. Now I'm just as misanthropic as the next Satanist, if not more, but we have to have checks and balances if we have something to lose as a result of acting upon our primal urges when confronted with stupidity and ignorance, because in that aspect, we're outnumbered. The sheep are currently in control and that's something we have to deal with for now, but that doesn't mean we can squeeze off a few rounds or improve our accuracy by throwing some daggers at a photo target of beloved object of our affection

#140250 - 01/13/06 08:45 AM Re: Why do I like guns? [Re: blasphemy]
MagisterRose Offline
CoS Magister

Quote:

Maybe they are just too pussy to get off their fat asses and kill someone without remorse.

You say that as if not killing all and sundry without remorse is a bad thing.

Either you just expressed yourself badly or you are a first rate asshole who is welcome to make use of the exit as soon as possible.

The policy of the CoS is that it is a good thing when mad dogs are destroyed. That goes double for "mad dog killers".

The good die young... because they see it's no use living if you've got to be good.
John Barrymore

HARDCOVER INFERNALIA

PAPERBACK INFERNALIA

HARDCOVER KASIDAH

PAPERBACK KASIDAH

#140251 - 01/13/06 10:06 AM Re: Why do I like guns? [Re: blasphemy]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
>>Why do I enjoy guns? Knives? Weapons of all sorts?
>>Watching fictional violence in movies or reading about
>>it in books? Why do I like to spar with my friends? Why
>>am I so interested with death?

In an otherwise safe and mediocre world, these things can be quite entertaining. For some people, they might also be doing the job that soap operas do: providing excitement and drama by proxy, in an otherwise uneventful life.

>>But in more recent times (especially after hearing
>>plenty of cases of home invasions going on around my
>>area) I've really considered buying a rifle, shotgun,
>>possibly a handgun. Why did I see no use for these
>>things before?

I think you answered your own question in those parentheses.

>>I would never want to associate with these people, but
>>none of them (as a direct corrilation) have gone on
>>serial killing sprees. Maybe they are just too pussy to
>>get off their fat asses and kill someone without remorse.

Or maybe they're just mentally-stable, responsible people.

>>Either way, I think I'm capable of killing another
>>person if giving the right circumstance. I just want
>>to know if I'm alone in that feeling. I mean, aside
>>from those mentioned just above.

People are hypothetically capable of lots of strange things under extreme conditions. I'm sure there are some who say they are capable of taking a human life but wouldn't really be able to in a real situation, and I'm sure there are the equally self-righteous pacifists who actually would take another life in extreme conditions. But why would anybody want to put that to a vote?

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's ‹bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#140252 - 01/13/06 10:20 AM Re: Why do I like guns? [Re: blasphemy]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
I enjoy weapons because many of them are works of art. Swords, in particular.
I respond to guns in the same way...they are very visually appealing, to me. In cinema, a hot chick gets hotter in a cowboy hat with a gun in her hand. Men get cooler looking (look at Neo, in the Matrix).
I enjoy violence because I have hormones in my body designed to prepare me to kill for food or self-defense. When I do what I was meant to do, it feels good. I enjoy violent movies and organized sports because I am also "civilized" and emotionally healthy. Holding violent feelings in, unexpressed causes problems...for me and those around me.
Death seems to be a universal fascination. Not sure why, but it is. It can also be a subject of great art.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#140253 - 01/13/06 12:18 PM Re: Why do I like guns? [Re: blasphemy]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
I'd say an interest in violence becomes abnormal or dangerous when:

A) It morphs into an unbridled and/or innapropriate proclivity towards actual violence,
B) It hurts your ability to navigate through the world.
C) It negatively affects your mood and outlook in a way that noticeably impacts your physical, emotional, or psychological health and wellbeing. If you think absolutely everyone is out to kill you where you stand, that constant alertness, paranoia, and fear takes a toll on both the mind and body.
D) It impedes your ability to interact with other people and society peacefully, cooperatively, or appropriately.
E) You have an intensely romanticized view of violence that is not properly grounded in good ol' common sense and a solid understanding of reality. (Discretion is the better part of valor, as they say.) X9X touched on this when he said that being jumped by 5 people is not fun, although television may make it seem like it is.
F) In addition to the interest in violence, you also possess:

1) A "thin skin," or victim complex. The people who shoot up their workplaces often do so because they take everything very personally, and cannot take even the smallest insult in stride.
2) A pronounced sense of entitlement combined with a diminished sense of responsibility. "The world owes me."
3)Poor communication and/or problem-solving skills. The most aggressively violent people act out the way they do because they don't know of any other way to be.
4) Intense loneliness and insecure attachment. Having enjoyable, solid relationships allows you to keep your balance and a sense of perspective, and maintain a sense of hope and meaning. Stalkers and such are desperate for love, but can't figure out how to create and maintain real relationships, so they start seeking love in creepy ways.
5) Heightened paranoia.
8) Overwhelming and frustrated desire for attention and/or love. Celebrity stalkers and various serial killers just want to become famous, because they feel they don't get enough attention.
8) A pronounced irrational inferiority or superiority complex.

But, where simple interest in violence is concerned, I don't blame you. I find that most Satanists have at least some kind of an interest in weaponry, combat tactics, self defense, warfare, death and/or violence. My inner child certainly goes, "Ooooooh," with glee when I see a particularly beautiful gun, sword, or the stellar performance of a particularly gory or effective combat or killing technique. And, when it comes to visualizing what I'd like to do to my foes, my imagination can be quite graphic and my tastes rather sadistic. The important thing is to recognize it honestly, analyze its meaning and contents, and then humor it and channel it appropriately. Where people go wrong is that they either suppress it or deny it, or they feed it and humor it without boundaries and without question.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#140254 - 01/13/06 12:21 PM Re: Why do I like guns? [Re: blasphemy]
Caesar Offline

CoS Warlock

I have seen a lot of this kind of sentiment from soldiers in the Army (in this and many other ways). But I can tell you it severely degrades when the fantasy meets reality.

#140255 - 01/13/06 02:56 PM Re: Why do I like guns? [Re: blasphemy]
dragondancer Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Virginia
Quote:

Does anyone else here think of these things or share these interests?

While violence in and of itself doesn't hold a lot of interest for me, I love knives. I collect knives, I play with knives, I like guys to mind fuck with me with knives. (In the world of kinky sex, anyway.) So, is that abnormal? Depends on who is holding the measuring stick. In my circle of friends, absolutely not. If I asked my mother, she would probably say I was one messed up dudette. (Hence, I do not share certain things with certain people.)

I don't mind violence in a movie if it is pertinent to the storyline, but I detest gratuitous violence. I don't watch a movie just because there is violence in it, but by the same token, I don't stay away from a movie just because there is violence in it. Violence is natural. Nature is extremely violent. Ever see a tornado or a hurricane, severe thunderstorm, flood? How about predators hunting, stalking, and eating prey? Well, you get the drift.

Hail Satan!
"It does take an exceptional mind and a still more exceptional integrity to remain untouched by the brain-destroying influences of the world's doctrines, the accumulated evil of the centuries-to remain human, since the human is the rational." Dr. Akston in Atlas Shrugged

"Not life, but good life, is to be chiefly valued." Socrates

Dragondancer
Temple of Vampire

#140256 - 01/13/06 04:41 PM Re: Why do I like guns? [Re: blasphemy]
Maya Offline
CoS Member

Loc: New England
I don't see anything wrong with an interest in weapons or a fascination with violence as long as they are indulged in with care and responsibility. Indulgence, not compulsion.

I for one enjoy a UFC fight and a good spar. There is something very pure about personal combat, despite the negative consequences it can have. There is no room for bullshit in the fray.

#140257 - 01/13/06 05:10 PM Re: Why do I like guns? [Re: blasphemy]
chandler Offline

Loc: TX, US
I think I can identify with you, blasphemy. I dropped out of college my senior year to enlist in the armed forces as a chemical operations specialist, even though I had an endless source of college tuition and rent money from my father, and was on the honor roll. The motivation was definitely the scent of death. Scent in a metaphorical sense. I just wanted to be near it. I wanted to revel in it. I wanted to wear it like a badge and make it my life, my practice, a part of myself.

The change of heart came about through an encounter I had out drinking one night. My friends all went home to pass out and I wanted to go to another bar before closing, so I did. There, I met some new people, men mostly, and one of them wound up asking me for a ride home. This fellow was a giant, obese, I'm not going to go into my estimates of his measurements, but let me just say I couldn't get the stick shift into fourth gear because he was simply too goddamn fat. When we came to the nearby house he identified as his own, there were no streetlights above us. I stopped the car and he immediately jumps on me trying to lick my face or something. I couldn't budge, becuase his fat ass was pinned against the windshield; he took up practically the entire cab. When I put up a fight, he started choking me. He continued to choke me after I played dead, which was the best I thought a little guy like me could do. When I realized he actually intended to kill me, something awoke deep down inside of me and my non-dominant hand shot out and my thumb went deep, deep behind his trachea, which I managed to pull around the side of his neck using my index finger to squeeze from behind. He made such strange noises as he flopped back in his seat, clutching at his throat and struggling for air, that I decided it was safe and elected not to stab him in the eye with my key, which I had uncosciously pulled out of the ignition. Instead I got out and just went nuts, kicking my own car, cussing and spitting in the guy's face. It was a real transformative period for the next few weeks. And overall I'd say the guy did me a favor, whether he likes it or not.

By the way, he lived, and I didn't feel any need to call the cops, since the situation resolved itself. I am doing well in the Army, but I look forward to returning home when the day comes.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Forum Stats
12116 Members
73 Forums
43871 Topics
405537 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements