Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#140288 - 01/16/06 11:16 AM Re: Why do I like guns? [Re: crackergirl]
blasphemy Offline

Loc: NY, US
Quote:

Quote:

I'm not going to bother opening the can of worms over WoMD's or shit like that.

*The crackergirl pokes Pandora in the side encouragingly. "Come on," she says, "open the box. It'll be cool."
I believe you've already opened that can of worms, and I'll tell you why. You can't instigate a dicussion about weaponry and whether or not it's "normal" to like guns, and then completely omit the biggest (and in my opinion BEST) examples of weaponry from the debate. I'm going to take one of your worms and bait my hook with it right now. Let's see if anyone bites.
WMD's are necessary for the advancement of the US. Why? Not only are the scientific exploration aspects of this topic astoundingly interesting and beneficial to all other forms of chemistry, but WMD's scare the hell out of people. What good is an arenal if it doesn't have any balls? The feeling of power that you get from knowing that your gun is bigger than that of the guy who's currently staking out your house for a robbery is overwhelmingly decadent. I would have to dig pretty deep to find someone that didn't agree with that. It's the same reason people choose a Suburban over a Yukon. It's not good for the environment, and it sucks if you get hit by one, but, damn, does it feel good to be behind the wheel in that nice soft leather captain's chair.
Here, fishy, fishy, fishy, fishy!

WMD's seem to be overkill, especially to the point where they do more obliterating than killing. I think the old saying was "Rome makes a desert and calls it peace" which seems eeriely familiar. I really don't want to get into a political debate, but let me ask of your side on the war presently being pursued? For or against? War in gerenal?

I know that I must look a bit hypocritical to claim I love violence and then say that I disagree with war. I think it's a level of maturity rather than hypocracy; sublimation if you will: I like violence so I read/write violent stories. It has been said that Mortitians are necrophiliacs that sublimate their lust into a profession. In the same vain Stephen King contests that he is a sick man that makes a living off of his truly sick mind; to get help for it via a psycologist would be counterprodctive for business. Thereofore I feel confortable stating that I disagree with war for the most part.

I understand that war in necissary, as is death for progress and rebirth. I know that we wouldn't live the way we do as Americans without our pugnatious attitude. Now, taking this to the level of WMD's straight away is skipping a few things, but for the sake of time.... What you are basically saying, crackergirl, is that we must achieve peace through suprior firepower (which happens to be the title of a new Cradle of Filth DVD). This has its affects to a point, i.e. we build a gun, they (any threatening country/dictator) builds the same guns, we build better guns, they match us, we build grenades, bombs, rockets, lasers on the heads of sharks, etc. until the point we reach WMD's and beyond, and they match us. We feel frightened and threatened, which I imagine they feel as well, as for the reason why we both keep building up and up. That, and we feel like we have balls (like you said earlier). I like balls, as does our president, as do many dictators.

Is there a point when the building upwards is overkill, unnecissary, and dumb? Do we stop when we have a single bomb that can blow the entire planet up, or just a series of warheads that would, when detonated together, would have the same affect? My fear with WMD's is that the people in charge of them have other motives behind them. Not like they are the villians from some Tripple X movie, but more like someone with an itchy trigger finger who likes seeing shit explod, and can't satisfy that urge with GTA.

We may feel better, "safer", and have bigger, sweateir balls than any other country, but are we doing it for the placebo affect? To bluff that we will blow their asses up with our own if they threaten us? I mean, to have a weapon bigger and better than your enemy is one thing, but using it is very different. And to have a weapon without the intention of using it seems like quite an unecissary mind fuck for the people that have to agree with this mind fuck.

This was kind of a rant, and I apologize, but crackergirl wanted to peek inside the worm can. I am far from finished, but unless another worm is needed, I'm going to go eat breakfast and have some target practice.

Ave Satanas

#140289 - 01/16/06 11:33 AM Re: Why do I like guns? [Re: crackergirl]
Mead_Honeywine Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
Nuclear technology is cool. Nuclear waste is not. Shoddy inspections and enforcement of safety regulations at power plants and disposal sites is just stupid.

Other countries have nukes, but I'm more worried about local meltdowns and cracked containers then I am at being attacked. Other people's incompetance can kill you.

Then again, if I lived closer to a likely target than a power plant, I might feel differently.

#140290 - 01/16/06 11:37 AM Re: Why do I like guns? [Re: blasphemy]
Reznor Offline

Quote:

WMD's seem to be overkill, especially to the point where they do more obliterating than killing. I think the old saying was "Rome makes a desert and calls it peace" which seems eeriely familiar.

Certain types of WMD are designed to kill the population of the target area but leave the buildings intact. Scientists can now genetically modify strains of virus and "tailor" them to attack specific types of people. There was a slightly controvertial documentary about the practice on British TV a while back and (apparently) the eggheads had created some pretty scary items. It was claimed that they could create a virus which would only kill people with blonde hair, people with a specific blood group, a specific ethnic group etc.

Thats a pretty scary concept!

I think the program was called "Smart Germs" but I could be wrong.

Oh, and back to the original topic: I collect antique swords, Japanese mainly but I recently branched out and now own some pretty nice European weapons. They are currently hanging from the walls of my UK house.

I dont particularly like handguns, that would be like bringing my work home. I'm pretty fond of horror and slasher/serial killer movies though I'm not sure why. I think it might be a way of confronting an unpleasant subject and learning how to deal with it on a basic level.

Hail Satan!

#140291 - 01/16/06 11:46 AM Re: Why do I like guns? [Re: blasphemy]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
The problem with building the biggest bomb is simple: If you don't, the other side will!

There will be always someone somewhere with the technology and the will to make a nuke. The only thing stoping them from launching it is knowing someone else has an even bigger one and will rataliate.

As for "a bomb so big that will blow up the planet" that only happens in science fiction. All the nuclear warheads in existence today can explode at the same time and they wouldn't make a dent deep enough to make Earth itch. It would erase civilization as we know it and probably send us humans the way of the dinosaurs... but the planet will keep going fine.

#140292 - 01/16/06 12:19 PM Re: Why do I like guns? [Re: blasphemy]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
I always loved guns. I still do (though I don't own one at this moment)

Guns are magic!

H.R.Giger once said the magic of guns is that they can do things happen at a distance.

The other thing is the aesthetical element. Guns are beautiful, both vintage and modern ones. Their design always combines practical thinking with some dangerous beauty.

One of the most interesting experiences in my life was building a handgun from scratch between my brother and me when we were young. The thing was nothing special, just a one-shot 22 caliber pistol that miraculously never exploded in our hands. My brother made all the working parts in the workshop and we put them together. We had a lot of fun with that gun… except that day when he shot me in the knee by accident, but that also was good, because it taught us a lesson about the responsibility that comes with a weapon.

But the greatest was the feeling of empowerment that gives you. Especially, in this case, to know we had created it ourselves. (Or maybe it was to know we had done something naughty and got away with it)

Another thing with guns is that they create strong feelings in almost everyone. I don’t know many people who are indifferent to guns. They all either love them or hate them.

Some people have an obsession with guns, they collect them, they admire them, and some ever worship them.

And other people have an irrational hatred for them and blame firearms for every problem in modern society. I think they miss the point. Violence existed long before weapons and humans practiced the art of killing each other with sticks for thousands of years before some Chinese guy invented gunpowder.

So guns are magic.

In some religions, guns are used for their magical attributes. I have seen old rusted guns in Voodoo and Santeria altars. Those are useless as a weapon in the mechanical sense… but still dangerous in a symbolical way.

I wonder how many Satanists use guns too as part of a ritual.

#140293 - 01/16/06 12:54 PM Re: Why do I like guns? [Re: Old_Pig]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Quote:

I wonder how many Satanists use guns too as part of a ritual.

Well...considering that swords and knives are oten used, why not? Could be interesting.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#140294 - 01/16/06 05:07 PM Re: Why do I like guns? [Re: Focalor]
fatebender Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Sin City
Quote:

I'm a law abiding citizen

Not if you honestly carry a long bladed knife.

#140295 - 01/17/06 12:42 AM Re: Why do I like guns? [Re: fatebender]
Reznor Offline

I agree that some weapons hold a certain beauty and they feel pretty good too. When you hold a loaded weapon in your hand(s) you get an amazing sense of security and confidence.

#140296 - 01/17/06 01:03 PM Re: Why do I like guns? [Re: blasphemy]
DataLore Offline

Loc: Holodeck 3
I like guns too.

#140297 - 01/17/06 01:36 PM Re: Why do I like guns? [Re: Reznor]
uncleherpe Offline

Quote:

Quote:

WMD's seem to be overkill, especially to the point where they do more obliterating than killing. I think the old saying was "Rome makes a desert and calls it peace" which seems eeriely familiar.

Certain types of WMD are designed to kill the population of the target area but leave the buildings intact. Scientists can now genetically modify strains of virus and "tailor" them to attack specific types of people. There was a slightly controvertial documentary about the practice on British TV a while back and (apparently) the eggheads had created some pretty scary items. It was claimed that they could create a virus which would only kill people with blonde hair, people with a specific blood group, a specific ethnic group etc.

Thats a pretty scary concept!

I think the program was called "Smart Germs" but I could be wrong.

foxdie????

#140298 - 01/17/06 02:06 PM Re: Why do I like guns? [Re: uncleherpe]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Okay, Uncleherpe...I know they say it you shouldn't have to explain the punchline...but You lost me. I want to laugh!

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#140299 - 01/17/06 04:15 PM Re: Why do I like guns? [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
uncleherpe Offline

Quote:

Okay, Uncleherpe...I know they say it you shouldn't have to explain the punchline...but You lost me. I want to laugh!

it was just wierd that I mentioned MGS and then the convo went twards WMDs and smart germs.

In the game metal gear solid snake is infected with a virus called 'foxdie' that targets certain genetic groups (you dont find that out till later, so if you havent beated the game dont read the previous paragraph). and the game revolves around stopping a terrorist organization from performing testing on a nuclear tank (metal gear), it has a lot of philosophy mixed in. its a pretty nerdly joke actually.... PLAY THE GAME. IT ROCKS.

#140300 - 01/17/06 04:17 PM Re: Why do I like guns? [Re: fatebender]
uncleherpe Offline

Quote:

Quote:

I'm a law abiding citizen

Not if you honestly carry a long bladed knife.

the bat in the car isnt a good idea either.

Cops will cuff ya if they have any reason to think you are dangerous.

#140301 - 01/17/06 04:44 PM Re: Why do I hate guns? [Re: Old_Pig]
Mead_Honeywine Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
Quote:

Another thing with guns is that they create strong feelings in almost everyone. I don’t know many people who are indifferent to guns. They all either love them or hate them.

I suspect you're right. I hate them. They're loud and bullets are expensive (yes, I have taken a couple opportunities to practice shoot). I hate being in a room where someone else is handling them - unless you personally check that it's unloaded, you don't know that it's unloaded. I hate seeing them on display in gun/hunting shops. Displays are never elegant. You can hang the prettiest firearm on pegboard and it'll look like crap. Most are not pretty to begin with - functional, not pretty. I hate the way they feel in my hand. Of course, the average handgun or rifle probably wasn't designed for a woman who wears child size gloves. I hate the mess they make as empty cartriges fall to the ground and get lost in the grass, only to be located by a lawnmower blade later on.

I have no issue with people who love guns. My purpose in posting was to explain a few reasons one might hate them, since it appears I may be among the few here that do.

One reason I definately don't hate guns is because they kill people. An industrious person can kill as many people indiscriminately with poison as they can with an automatic rifle. So really it's the object itself, and not it's use, that I hate.

#140302 - 01/17/06 06:16 PM Re: Why do I like guns? [Re: Focalor]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.
"I was merely offering one point of view. Perhaps it's a point of view which has never crossed your mind. Perhaps you've never met a person like I described."

This isn't new or news.

There are plenty of people with similar thinking.

There are even some people who will profess to "not believe" in
guns, as if maybe guns are just like the Easter Bunny or the
Cat in The Hat.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
44035 Topics
406362 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements