Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#140303 - 01/17/06 07:22 PM Re: Why do I hate guns? [Re: Mead_Honeywine]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
No...you are not alone. I like the way guns look, and I enjoy guns in movies, but I don't like things that are that loud close to me. I also do not feel I have control over it. I feel the same way about chain saws and power drills. I prefer a screwdriver to a drill, an axe to a chainsaw and a knife to a gun. But I still dig the cinematic violence.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#140304 - 01/17/06 07:27 PM Re: Why do I like guns? [Re: uncleherpe]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Quote:

Quote:

Okay, Uncleherpe...I know they say it you shouldn't have to explain the punchline...but You lost me. I want to laugh!

it was just wierd that I mentioned MGS and then the convo went twards WMDs and smart germs.

In the game metal gear solid snake is infected with a virus called 'foxdie' that targets certain genetic groups (you dont find that out till later, so if you havent beated the game dont read the previous paragraph). and the game revolves around stopping a terrorist organization from performing testing on a nuclear tank (metal gear), it has a lot of philosophy mixed in. its a pretty nerdly joke actually.... PLAY THE GAME. IT ROCKS.

Oh...I see. Thank you. I am more of a Civilization and Sim City man, but your game sounds fun.

#140305 - 01/18/06 07:52 AM Re: Why do I like guns? [Re: blasphemy]
Jerome Offline

Holding a loded gun might give you a good feeling if nobody else near you does the same. Once you're in the situation that somebody else also has a loaded gun and that gun is pointing at you, you'll feel different.

I took part in a war and didn't like it one bit. You just get scared most of the time (in addition to being cold, wet and dirty). Killing people also wasn't fun at all. I'm not sorry I did it (if I didn't I would have gotten killed myself), but I didn't like doing it.

#140306 - 01/18/06 09:26 AM Re: Why do I like guns? [Re: blasphemy]
G.F.V. Offline
CoS Member

Loc: NYC
Personally, I enjoy guns for recreational purposes. Ever since I was a young boy I would browse through magazines to look at all different sizes, shapes, and uses of guns of many sorts because I was considering taking up target shooting for fun.

When I was young, my dad and myself used to shoot clay pigeons a few times after he taught me how to shoot a B.B. gun and a 24 gauge shotgun. It was a lot of fun at that age because it was a new experience for me.

I haven't ever purchased a gun because there is a zero tolerance policy of having a gun collection in my family's house due to my mother's hatred of guns. I do respect them 100% on that policy because it is their house and as long as I reside there until I move out with my girlfriend (who is pro-gun) I have to abide by their rules.

In my opinion, anyone who abuses guns and breaks the law with them on purpose (i.e. robbery, premeditated murder) deserves the harshest, cruelest punishment possible.

#140307 - 01/18/06 02:08 PM Re: Why do I like guns? [Re: G.F.V.]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.
"In my opinion, anyone who abuses guns [..]"

Yikes! I didn't clean my rifle once right when I got home from
the range and I felt that I was abusing my firearm.

With penalties like that, I'd clean and oil it every day jut to
avoid getting into trouble.

#140308 - 01/18/06 02:17 PM Re: Why do I like guns? [Re: blasphemy]
crackergirl Offline

Loc: Kansas
Quote:

WMD's seem to be overkill, especially to the point where they do more obliterating than killing.

Obliterating and killing is the same thing. I know where youíve drawn the distinction though. Killing=eliminating select peoples within a culture. Obliterating=eliminating an entire culture.
I donít know about you, but what Iíve learned from the violent horror flicks the both of us enjoy so much is that if you donít completely obliterate your enemy, heíll be back bigger and badder in the sequel. Better, we should completely eradicate not only the foe, but the possibility of said foeís return to the realm of causing trouble. If we kill them now, we wonít have to kill them later.

Quote:

I think the old saying was "Rome makes a desert and calls it peace" which seems eeriely familiar.

Monty Pythonís Life of Brian seems eerily familiar.
The US would be equated to Rome in this sense, I think. Since weíre Rome, Iím okay with the desert. My goal is not and never has been peace. My goal is making life more comfortable, and since I live her in the US, I would be in support of any war the US instigates that causes American life to be more pleasurable.

Quote:

I really don't want to get into a political debate,

Anyone who says things like this always supersedes this type of statement with a sentence that intentionally sparks a political debate. Iím predicting that the next word will be ďbut.Ē

Quote:

but

See?

Quote:

let me ask of your side on the war presently being pursued? For or against? War in gerenal?

Iím not presently pursuing any war. Iím going to law school.
Iím for this war. This war has caused gas prices to go up dramatically, and since I drive an SUV (when I feel like riding around in a vehicle that has more balls than my Grand Am), Iím really feeling the price gouging. I pay more than a hundred bucks a tank now, and, you know what? Iím fine with that! Why? Because the price gouging will ultimately lead to more environmentally and economically efficient advancements in alternative energy sources. There are hydrogen-powered vehicles now, and theyíre not being made available to the public due to the governmentís unwillingness to budge from their ďgive the oil companies what they wantĒ stance. Itís a cowardly and disgusting practice. The government is refusing researchers in the alternative energy source field grants for research and development. They do this because the oil companies have threatened to jack up the prices even more if these alternative energies are being allowed to flourish. Iím a capitalist at heart, and I believe that some competition in the marketplace would be great for our economy. Giving the oil companies a run for their money would be an awesome thing. When the oil prices get too high for the consumers, theyíre going to start pitching a huge fit. The government will have to fork over that grant money then, and it will be put to good use whether or not the big oil companies agree. Our government has been cravenly bowing down and cowering before the oil companies for too long. Something has to be done. This war may spark a change and deter the energy crisis not only in America, but all over the world.
Another reason I support this war is because weíre bringing capitalism to the rest of the world. True capitalism can only be present in a democratic society because a democratic society supports competition. A dictatorship cannot be truly capitalistic due to that fact. When we work on bringing democracy and capitalism to other parts of the world, weíre opening up the possibility for trade with those nations. The more trade we engage in, the more money we have moving around the world. The more money in circulation, the better it is for all of us. More money means people will spend extra for better products and stop paying for the junk. When a product becomes cheap and out-dated, people will spend more to get the latest more efficient version. More money circulating means more money being spent. More money being spent means a stronger, richer America.

Quote:

I know that I must look a bit hypocritical to claim I love violence and then say that I disagree with war. I think it's a level of maturity rather than hypocracy; sublimation if you will: I like violence so I read/write violent stories. It has been said that Mortitians are necrophiliacs that sublimate their lust into a profession. In the same vain Stephen King contests that he is a sick man that makes a living off of his truly sick mind; to get help for it via a psycologist would be counterprodctive for business. Thereofore I feel confortable stating that I disagree with war for the most part.

It is hypocritical in a sense, but, you see, these are just movies. When you apply the same scenario to real life, you get quite a different outcome. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is my favorite movie. I think itís great. However, if I was being hacked up by Leatherface, I would have a slightly different view of this situation. There is a difference between what you see in movies and what you see in real life. When it affects you personally, your views are different. One is just entertainment, the other is fact. As weíre focusing on the fact part right now (FACTóthere is a war going on), I think we should scrap the instance of these on-screen shenanigans for now. If youíd like to discuss the affect these movies might have on our society, then weíll do that later, but for nowÖ

Quote:

I understand that war in necissary, as is death for progress and rebirth. I know that we wouldn't live the way we do as Americans without our pugnacious attitude.

Now, I wouldnít call it pugnacious. I would refer to it more as a defensive attitude. Weíre defending our way of life, and our right to live it. The Iraqi government broke the contracts they signed. The British during the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812 encroached on our well-being and the contracts they signed during the former. We havenít instigated war here. We were attacked. We were given the shaft on some political deals, and we adorned ourselves with armor as a result.

Quote:

Now, taking this to the level of WMD's straight away is skipping a few things, but for the sake of time.... What you are basically saying, crackergirl, is that we must achieve peace through suprior firepower (which happens to be the title of a new Cradle of Filth DVD).

What I am basically saying has nothing to do with peace. Peace is a stupid pipe dream. Itís an immature ďpie in the skyĒ goal and will never be achieved. My goal is money and power and thatís all that really matters in war and in politics in general. The whole ďgive peace a chanceĒ thing is very naÔve, and Iím not naÔve, so I would never advocate such a thing. To secure money and power, we must create war. If Iíve made any reference to a need for peace, I would like to retract that statement right now. Trouble is, Iím not the kind of person that would hippie around all day preaching the need for peace, so I doubt youíll find that reference anywhere. I have a bumper sticker on my car that says ďCapitalist Oppressor.Ē It suits me well.

Quote:

This has its affects to a point, i.e. we build a gun, they (any threatening country/dictator) builds the same guns, we build better guns, they match us, we build grenades, bombs, rockets, lasers on the heads of sharks, etc. until the point we reach WMD's and beyond, and they match us. We feel frightened and threatened, which I imagine they feel as well, as for the reason why we both keep building up and up. That, and we feel like we have balls (like you said earlier). I like balls, as does our president, as do many dictators.

This is a nonpoint in that, yes, it is an endless cycle. The key word here is ENDLESS. Just try and stop it, and youíll end up with one of those big guns pointed in your direction. We have to be brutal and we have to constantly advance weapons technology in order to survive. If we donít kill them, they will us, and Iím more inclined to favor my own life over ANYONE elseís ESPECIALLY people I donít know. (and ESPECIALLY people who think itís okay to kill for ďGod.Ē Money is a much more important reason to kill someone, I think).

Quote:

Is there a point when the building upwards is overkill, unnecissary, and dumb?

Maybe, if you think that self defense is dumb.

Quote:

Do we stop when we have a single bomb that can blow the entire planet up, or just a series of warheads that would, when detonated together, would have the same affect? My fear with WMD's is that the people in charge of them have other motives behind them. Not like they are the villians from some Tripple X movie, but more like someone with an itchy trigger finger who likes seeing shit explod, and can't satisfy that urge with GTA.

There are people like that now who have access to bigger munitions units than youíve ever seen. Doesnít it give you a tiny bit of security knowing that we can at least avenge your death if you happen to become a casualty of war? I think Iíd like the idea of my country bowing down to the guys with the big guns a lot less than I like the idea of my country fighting back with better and smarter weapons systems.

Quote:

We may feel better, "safer", and have bigger, sweateir balls than any other country, but are we doing it for the placebo affect? To bluff that we will blow their asses up with our own if they threaten us?

In a poker game, if you win by bluffing, itís still winning. You donít have to give the chips back. A placebo? Maybe, but if a person who ďsuffersĒ from depression is given a placebo and feels better, this placebo isnít really a placebo in a way. Iím not as concerned with the process of procuring the spoils of war as I am with the spoils themselves. Sometimes ethical codes need to take a back seat.

Quote:

I mean, to have a weapon bigger and better than your enemy is one thing, but using it is very different. And to have a weapon without the intention of using it seems like quite an unecissary mind fuck for the people that have to agree with this mind fuck.

It is just a mind fuck. Thatís true, but I will not agree with your saying itís unnecessary. If youíre so concerned with peace, you should realize that this mind fuck has saved our asses in many instances from war.

Quote:

This was kind of a rant, and I apologize, but crackergirl wanted to peek inside the worm can.

And when she did, blasphemy followed suit and baited a hook too. Welcome to the pier, brother. I like to have a fishing partner once in a while.
Quote:

I am far from finished, but unless another worm is needed, I'm going to go eat breakfast and have some target practice.

Whatcha having? The fish we caught earlier? Iím going to cook mine for lunch. Enjoy your meal.

#140309 - 01/18/06 02:43 PM Re: Why do I like guns? [Re: RandomStranger]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Quote:

"In my opinion, anyone who abuses guns [..]"

Yikes! I didn't clean my rifle once right when I got home from
the range and I felt that I was abusing my firearm.

With penalties like that, I'd clean and oil it every day jut to
avoid getting into trouble.

Hmmm...I think the Catholics believe it is a sin to oil ones own gun, no? I know...but it was there, and someone was bound to say it. I'll be the immature one today. I do agree with MetalBob, though.

#140310 - 01/18/06 06:14 PM Re: Why do I like guns? [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
uncleherpe Offline

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Okay, Uncleherpe...I know they say it you shouldn't have to explain the punchline...but You lost me. I want to laugh!

it was just wierd that I mentioned MGS and then the convo went twards WMDs and smart germs.

In the game metal gear solid snake is infected with a virus called 'foxdie' that targets certain genetic groups (you dont find that out till later, so if you havent beated the game dont read the previous paragraph). and the game revolves around stopping a terrorist organization from performing testing on a nuclear tank (metal gear), it has a lot of philosophy mixed in. its a pretty nerdly joke actually.... PLAY THE GAME. IT ROCKS.

Oh...I see. Thank you. I am more of a Civilization and Sim City man, but your game sounds fun.

Its a whole different style. The mgs I was talking about is on gamecube and original playstation..... though both games let you benefit from planning and strategy. Check out the game forum sometime, Im gonna stop discussing this here because its pretty OT.

#140311 - 01/18/06 06:41 PM Re: Why do I like guns? [Re: Focalor]
Bastard_Child Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Montana, USA
Quote:

You sound to me like the type who would immediately brandish your weapon before it was neccessary to do so, which in this day and age can get your CWP revoked easily.

Hmmmmm....gee I guess that is why I carried for nine years and never had a citation, arrest or even so much as a report, and if I had drawn my sidearm from my shoulder holster their would be a DEAD motherfucker as a result of that action, AND THAT WOULD BE MUCH MORE FUCKED UP IF I DID NOT HAVE TOTAL JUSTIFICATION TO DO IT YOU STUPID FUCK! I'd be looking at a deliberate homicide charge you ignorant YUTZ. DRAW MY WEAPON UNNECCESSARILY???? Unlike you, I am not an ignorant piece of dog shit that would even CONTEMPLATE such stupity, unlike YOU! But you contemplated it didn't you? Assholes that go looking for trouble end up finding it, as they are misdirected masochists that need an ass kicking for something that they feel guilty about doing in their past. What did you do?
BC

#140312 - 01/18/06 07:01 PM Re: Why do I like guns? [Re: uncleherpe]
Focalor Offline

There's no law that prohibits me from having a baseball bat in my truck. Hey, I like baseball. What if I had an axe or a maul? It could be used as a deadly weapon too. But plenty of landscapers and construction laborers drive around town with these types of things in their trucks. Police only confiscate these items when they find drugs or you're doing something really wrong. In such cases they normally charge you with something to the effect of "possession of a weapon while commiting a crime". They won't arrest me for simply having a baseball bat in my vehicle. There is no specific law against it.

Yes, I know that cops will cuff you if they think you're dangerous. I was pulled over once for speeding. I wasn't familiar with the road and didn't pay attention to the speed limit sign. This happened out in rural backwoods middle-of-nowheresville Georgia. The cop asked me to step out of the car. He gave me a breathalyzer, which I passed because I had not been drinking. While he was writing the ticket, I slipped both of my hands into my pockets. He asked me to remove them. I did. He asked me a few questions, and without thinking about it, I put my hands back into my pockets. Again he asked me to remove them. I did. He asked me a few more questions. Once again I slipped my hands back into my pockets. Hey, I was nervous, I was getting a ticket from a cop. He then jumped at me, grabbed my arms, spun me around and slammed me against the trunk of my car and started knee-butting me in the ribs while putting cuffs on me and radioing for backup. He then emptied my pockets and frisked me for weapons. He only wrote me a ticket for speeding and sent me on my merry way. Moral of the story: when a cop says keep your hands out of your pockets, try to remember to do it.

http://focalor.tastyspleen.net

#140313 - 01/18/06 07:33 PM pic; [Re: Bastard_Child]
Bastard_Child Offline
CoS Member

I don't know what happened to the pic I tried to put up here?

Attachments
320633-Howdafugowyah.JPG (27 downloads)

#140314 - 01/18/06 07:38 PM Re: Why do I like guns? [Re: Bastard_Child]
Focalor Offline

Quote:

AND THAT WOULD BE MUCH MORE FUCKED UP IF I DID NOT HAVE TOTAL JUSTIFICATION TO DO IT YOU STUPID FUCK!

Justification? And I suppose you have a shred of justification for assuming I have a criminal record when you've never even met me and I've never made a single comment about any crime I have supposedly commited in my past... or even wished to commit, for that matter.

Quote:

DRAW MY WEAPON UNNECCESSARILY???? Unlike you, I am not an ignorant piece of dog shit that would even CONTEMPLATE such stupity, unlike YOU!

Wow! Such language! Curse away if you makes you feel better, tough stuff with perfect aim. Because "unlike you", I really don't care.

Quote:

But you contemplated it didn't you?

No. Next question, please.

Quote:

Assholes that go looking for trouble end up finding it, as they are misdirected masochists that need an ass kicking for something that they feel guilty about doing in their past.

I don't feel guilty about anything at the moment... Wait a second, yeah I do. I ate a piece of bread and went off my Atkin's diet. OH WOE IS ME!!!

Quote:

What did you do?

I didn't do anything. Calm down, Mr. T. Don't get your blood pressure up over someone like me, a "yutz" (whatever that means). You know what, fine, I retract that statement and apologize for it. But in it's place I'd like to say that now you just sound like a very bitter and disgruntled person with an easily triggered temper. You've made it clear that all you're capable of doing here is inserting a few intelligible words between broken strands of curse words and juvenile cutdowns. This is going nowhere. Rant about something else now because I'm not reading any more of this tiring crapola.

#140315 - 01/18/06 07:53 PM Re: Why do I like guns? [Re: Focalor]
Bastard_Child Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

Most people think you're a person with a violent history when they find out that you DO have a gun at all times. Sheesh!

Not where I live, it is the norm. That is why badasses don't live here for very long because aren't they totally taken aback when grandma pulls a .44mag and tells them to freeze or she is going violently neuter the bitch? DAMN! The VERY SAME DAY that they enacted the concealed carry law in Hialeah Florida, CARJACKING CAPITAL OF OUR NATION AT THE TIME, carjacking incidences almost EVAPORATED overnight. I guess the chicken shit cowards that pull that shit aren't too up for a hole in their anatomy, and since they no longer can rely on the driver to be unarmed, they don't DO IT! (DUH??) If say YOU were to try to carjack my ride you had better just shoot me dead and take the car, or I am going to very SWIFTLY RIDDLE YOUR ASS, as I am HIGHLY TRAINED as a WEAPONS EXPERT, and I know how to kill with these weapons, BUT ONLY IF I ABSOLUTELY HAVE NO OTHER CHOICE TO END THE CONFRONTATION WITHOUT SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH TO MY PERSON. BTW genius, the same laws apply to concealed carry KNIVES that are over 6" long in this state. I have had police officers discover I was carrying on a traffic stop, call in my permit, tell me have a nice day, because I immediately informed the officer I had the weapon the second I was stopped. No biggie deal at all. It is commonplace here, and our homicide rate is probably much lower than where you live. What planet is this "whatever" from? Do you look like that because you crave attention that you didn't get from your Mommy when you were a little boy. I am like a Ninja in the night. Can't hurt what you can't see MUTHA! NOBODY wants to screw with ME! Some tried, AND SOME DIED! Poor baby, everyone is picking on him. Boo hoo HOO! GO AWAY! POSER LOSER!

#140316 - 01/18/06 07:59 PM Re: Why do I like guns? [Re: fatebender]
Focalor Offline

I only, quote, "carry" a long bladed knife while I'm at work. I have a double edged insulation knife (commonly called a "duct knife") that I use on the job. I don't run to the store for milk and eggs with my insulation knife hooked on my belt. I mean I like my job and all, but not THAT much. The rest of the time, it sits in my tool bag on the passenger seat of my truck. It is never concealed, therefore it is not illegal.

#140317 - 01/18/06 08:02 PM Re: Why do I like guns? [Re: Focalor]
Bastard_Child Offline
CoS Member

I was baiting you for a response genius. Worked too didn't? At least now I can assume that perhaps you are telling us the truth about your past. THEN AGAIN MAYBE NOT SPORT!
FO&

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Forum Stats
12195 Members
73 Forums
43973 Topics
405995 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements