Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#140603 - 01/18/06 08:30 PM Re: Wow, people really like to use scapegoating dont they? [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
dragondancer Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Virginia
Quote:

The Jews and Christians both have The same Old Testament. The Muslims do not. They were told, if I am correct, to respect "those of the book"...Christians and Jews; but, I am sure that is for political reasons.

The Muslims actually do believe in the prophets of the "old books", but Muhammad was the last prophet. (He gets the last word, so of course the Qur'an is the true book.) They will tell you they believe in Jesus, but they believe he was a prophet, not god.

Hail Satan!
"It does take an exceptional mind and a still more exceptional integrity to remain untouched by the brain-destroying influences of the world's doctrines, the accumulated evil of the centuries-to remain human, since the human is the rational." Dr. Akston in Atlas Shrugged

"Not life, but good life, is to be chiefly valued." Socrates

Dragondancer
Temple of Vampire

#140604 - 01/18/06 08:46 PM Re: Wow, people really like to use scapegoating dont they? [Re: dragondancer]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Thanks for the info. I have very limited knowledge about the beliefs of Moslims.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#140605 - 01/18/06 09:45 PM Re: Wow, people really like to use scapegoating dont they? [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
dragondancer Offline

CoS Member

Your welcome. My ex is a Muslim, he liked teaching me that shit. Guess he thought he could "save" me. In the end, I saved myself!

Hail Satan!
"It does take an exceptional mind and a still more exceptional integrity to remain untouched by the brain-destroying influences of the world's doctrines, the accumulated evil of the centuries-to remain human, since the human is the rational." Dr. Akston in Atlas Shrugged

Dragondancer
Temple of Vampire

#140606 - 01/19/06 01:19 AM Re: Wow, people really like to use scapegoating dont they? [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
pitzi_83 Offline

Loc: Israel
Quote:

They were told, if I am correct, to respect "those of the book"...Christians and Jews; but, I am sure that is for political reasons.

As far as I know from the history books, Jews where allowed
to keep their faith and live as second class citizens even in
the most rigid theocracies of the muslim old empires while
Christians were given the option of "convert or die".

Then came Israel, and Jews joined the list.

I'm not familiar with american muslims, but this is what I know
from arab muslims.

#140607 - 01/19/06 02:23 PM Re: Wow, people really like to use scapegoating dont they? [Re: uncleherpe]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
You're correct---they're all "People of the Book," so they share the same basic mythology.

But, they tend to "tweak" those different stories in different ways, and naturally emphasize some things above others. The Qu'ran says that Adam was made from clay, but that's pretty much it, and if you believe that Allah exists in a perpetual present, you can easily reconcile Adam (whose name, Adamah, means "dirt") with evolution.

"Normal" Islam, based on what I've studied, has no problem with the natural sciences, and has even contributed to them throughout the ages in the fields of astronomy, medicine, and math. The Sunnah says that one should even be willing to go to China to seek knowledge, and the Qu'ran says that the intellect is a gift from Allah. There is no serious gap between spiritual revelation and scientific knowledge, and since the creation reveals things about the creator, you shouldn't be opposed to studying it and taking it seriously.

These website have good summaries, from what I read:

http://al-islam.org/al-tawhid/science_muslim_ummah/3.htm
http://quranicverse99.tripod.com/pathtoparadise/id4.html
http://www.ezsoftech.com/akram/knowledge.asp

Of course, what individual Muslims decide to freak out about or not is up to them, just as in any religion. I imagine many Muslims may freak out about "Darwinism" not necessarily because they have a deeply rooted resentment towards evolution, but because they resent the secular, atheistic philosophical conclusions that some, like Richard Dawkins, make as a result of examining evolution.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#140608 - 01/19/06 04:15 PM Re: Wow, people really like to use scapegoating dont they? [Re: dragondancer]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
>>So, they do believe in creation, pretty much the same way
>>as the Jews and Christians.

Not all sects of all 3 of these religions hold the same views regarding creationism and evolution. For example, some Christian sects such as Jehovah's Witnesses do take the Book of Genesis and the rest of the Bible as a literal account, and thus reject what science has to say. Other sects such as Roman Catholicism do accept evolution, while viewing the Genesis stories as purely symbolic and inspirational rather than literal.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's ‹bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#140609 - 01/19/06 09:22 PM Re: Wow, people really like to use scapegoating dont they? [Re: InfesT]
SilverHammer Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Connecticut
My boss is a devout Catholic in his 60's. He has no idea of my affiliation (and he never will). Not long ago, I was chatting with him and mentioned that I had spent Halloween in Salem, partying with witches, pagans and Satanists of all sorts.

He turned somewhat pale and said "Well, be careful. Halloween IS inspired by Satanic cults, which have been around for centuries and are in fact growing in number."

What did I do? Did I tell him what an ignorant piece of shit he is? Did I tell him Satanists are strong-minded individuals who would never be sucked into the herd activity of a cult?

No. I simply nodded and said "I see."

If he ever found out that one of his most loyal and dependable employees was a Satanist, he'd probably have a heart attack. I don't wish that on him. I would rather spend my time and energy on my own interests than waste it on the herd.

www.myspace.com/savagegod

#140610 - 01/19/06 09:32 PM Re: Wow, people really like to use scapegoating dont they? [Re: Bill_M]
dragondancer Offline

CoS Member

Quote:

>>So, they do believe in creation, pretty much the same way
>>as the Jews and Christians.

Not all sects of all 3 of these religions hold the same views regarding creationism and evolution. For example, some Christian sects such as Jehovah's Witnesses do take the Book of Genesis and the rest of the Bible as a literal account, and thus reject what science has to say. Other sects such as Roman Catholicism do accept evolution, while viewing the Genesis stories as purely symbolic and inspirational rather than literal.

Of course you're right. That was an over simplification on my part. I would take it a step further, though and say that even among Catholics there is a lot of disagreement on the subject of creationism vs. evolution. My mother is a "born-again" Christian and believes very literally in the bible and creation. My father, on the other hand, was also a Catholic, but also a scientist and had no problem reconciling evolution with the bible stories, which he did not take literally.

Hail Satan!

Dragondancer
Temple of Vampire

#140611 - 01/19/06 09:58 PM Re: Wow, people really like to use scapegoating dont they? [Re: TrojZyr]
dragondancer Offline

CoS Member

Quote:

"Normal" Islam, based on what I've studied, has no problem with the natural sciences, and has even contributed to them throughout the ages in the fields of astronomy, medicine, and math. The Sunnah says that one should even be willing to go to China to seek knowledge, and the Qu'ran says that the intellect is a gift from Allah. There is no serious gap between spiritual revelation and scientific knowledge, and since the creation reveals things about the creator, you shouldn't be opposed to studying it and taking it seriously.

I am not sure what you mean by "normal" Islam. Since the time of the revolution in Iran, the Shiite Muslims turned the clock back and shrouded everything in religious mysticism. They made it a point to get rid of the intellectual people, either by putting them in prison, exiling them, or outright execution. On the surface at least they wanted everyone to be focusing not on the intellect but on the spiritual, and they made sure of it by enforcing the religious beliefs violently. Anyone openly talking about scientific notions as opposed to "godly" notions was dealt with summarily. Though things are a little better in present day, there is still a great push to be heavily religious, at least for the masses.

So, again I guess it depends on which sect of Islam you are talking about, just as it does with xtianity. Some are more fundamental and literal than others.

Hail Satan!

Dragondancer
Temple of Vampire

#140612 - 01/19/06 10:17 PM Re: Wow, people really like to use scapegoating dont they? [Re: dragondancer]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
True indeed.

Sunnis aren't always glowing citizens either.

Yes, it does depend on sect and location, and it also depends on time period.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#140613 - 01/19/06 11:15 PM Re: Wow, people really like to use scapegoating dont they? [Re: SilverHammer]
Dark_Adept Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: High Hades
Now that's a cool avatar, no wonder the election was rigged... damn it. hey, you were in salem right? ironically that's where I plan to spend my halloween vacation this year. any suggestions of where to go? I plan on stayin for about 3 days, maybe 4.

#140614 - 01/19/06 11:35 PM Re: Wow, people really like to use scapegoating dont they? [Re: Bill_M]
Dark_Adept Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: High Hades
that sparked a sidebar for me, do Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses share parallel ideas? Both proselytize, one by bikes, the other on foot, both wear suits. I thought you might have some insight on this before I research it further.

#140615 - 01/20/06 12:18 PM Re: Wow, people really like to use scapegoating dont they? [Re: pitzi_83]
Mead_Honeywine Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
Quote:

As far as I know from the history books, Jews where allowed to keep their faith and live as second class citizens even in the most rigid theocracies of the muslim old empires while Christians were given the option of "convert or die".

I'm not sure about the christian part, since that came later than the history I've studied recently, but jews definately were given an option of keeping their faith. Muslims converted a great many people though, and not suprisingly one tactic was tax breaks.

#140616 - 01/21/06 07:58 PM The secret of happiness. [Re: InfesT]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Do not choose to wallow in bullshit.

#140617 - 01/22/06 08:47 AM Re: Wow, people really like to use scapegoating dont they? [Re: InfesT]
Nsteed Offline

While watching, I had a good laugh at the video.

Then, laughed at myself for wasting 30 minutes of my life.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Forum Stats
12155 Members
73 Forums
43918 Topics
405733 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements