Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#142219 - 01/25/06 08:37 AM Plan ahead...Get Ready!
Lust Offline

I have been staying somewhat on top of "The bird flu", or
H5N1 virus, and I would like to share some thoughts, and precautionary steps on the subject. I am also looking for feedback as ways to help against it as well.

As we all know The H5N1 virus is not in The United States yet
but very easy is it to raise its head if contamination gets through, So step 1. I believe is "Try avoiding visiting areas where the virus is current," step 2. Personal Hygiene is imperative, Thoroughly washing your hands whenever possible is always a good idea. step 3. You do not have to be a nurse to anyone, avoid sick Humans, and sick birds, this is where it starts. step 4. Be observant, H5N1 has now been found in abundance in fertilizers that use chicken pooh, so read the bag.
step 5. Get protective gear, Gas Masks, Body suits, and so forth.
step 6. Plan an escape destination for yourself, and your loved ones. Isolate yourself with enough water, food, and medical supplies
You can. There is simply no excuse for not being prepared.

As some of you know, The United States has asked for over 1 billion dollars for a stockpile of the vaccine that will simply, and hopefully keep you from dying if you contract the H5N1, or "Avian Flu" there is enough vaccine for 1 in 14 Americans
so be on the front lines, and ready to get your shot, or shots.

As always stay healthy. A good diet, and exercise is usually a good preventive step for any illness.

The biggest threat is seeing if these viruses are changing. We simply need to isolate the viruses, and investigate them thoroughly. But the birds die so quickly, this is becoming very hard to do, and is very serious.

In closing for now. Sick Birds spread the H5N1 virus or "Bird Flu" to sick Birds. Sick Birds spread the virus to Sick Humans, Sick Humans spread the virus to sick Humans, etc., etc., etc.

Ultimately, the Superflu Pandemic is the climax! Which will bring culture upheaval, and Dire Emergency status on the world? With a start in a place like Bangkok the Superflu would spread so fast,
there is simply not enough time for defense. The best analogy I can come up with is the response to Hurricane Katrina Victims, from The United States Government. Folks that was a Storm, This is a Pandemic!

I only post this in hopes to educate, and make the readers aware
so serious steps can be taken to insure we stay healthy.I am not a scientist "By Degree", and I am Not being pretentious. I can only hope this virus does not reach our shores, but how can anyone be that naive?

Stay alert, and as always may your sins be many! "Hail Satan!"
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#142220 - 01/25/06 12:43 PM Re: Plan ahead...Get Ready! [Re: Lust]
Chess Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
All good precautionary steps, though perhaps a bit premature for H5N1. It's my understanding that the virus cannot pass directly from human to human -- it can go from bird to bird, and bird to human, but it still needs fowl in the loop or it's stuck. Of course, at the rate this thing's mutating, it could become capable of human transmission soon. That's the time to start worrying.

These pandemic scares are games of Russian roulette. Most of the time, they just blow over without a major incident -- recall SARS from a few years ago, or going back a bit further, the Swine Flu scare. But sooner or later, the wrong chamber will line up with the barrel and we'll have a major situation on our hands. It's then that you'll be very glad of your emergency preparedness.

-Chess

#142221 - 01/25/06 05:21 PM Re: Plan ahead...Get Ready! [Re: Chess]
Lust Offline

Chess
In response to your reply about Human to Human contact. This is what concerns me! Centers for Disease Control, and Prevention say that it is likely that a young boy transmitted the "Bird flu" to a health care worker through direct contact in a Hong Kong Hospital
Just last May!
Investigators suspect the virus spread when the health care worker examined the boys eyes, which showed signs of inflammation, and then touched his, or her face.
This is a touchy subject, and as it should be. I am not going into panic mode, or having any kind of nervous breakdown over this "Yet."
I have taken steps to protect myself, and my family
This is what I am advising.

Edited by tier_instinct (01/25/06 05:36 PM)
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�

#142222 - 01/26/06 03:02 AM Re: Plan ahead...Get Ready! [Re: Lust]
uncleherpe Offline

OMG REMEMBER SARS????//

I STILL HAVE ALL MY GEAR LEFT OVER FROM THAT. ANYWAY, THANKS FOR THE CONCERN!!!!11

#142223 - 01/26/06 10:15 AM Re: Plan ahead...Get Ready! [Re: Lust]
blasphemy Offline

Loc: NY, US
Thank you for the warning.. I've been looking for a post by someone on this topic, and didn't feel informed enough to start one.

I was a little two young and preoccupied with childish teenage bullshit to become fully affected by the scare in the news about SARS. I make it a point to not watch too much news because they do a good job of keeping the public in fear all the time. I have been concerned with this recently because I understand that the government had not taken too many procautions against a wide spread infection that may insue, yet I see now that it would be impossible for them to handle it any differently than they are now. While listening to a morning radio show yesterday, they played audio clips from Opera the day prior, with experts discussing Bird Flu. They made it sound very serious and freaked me out for a good five minutes. I felt like half of the world was going to die, etc. with the apocalyptic mindset eating at me.

Then I wondered if there had been this type of freak out before. Was SARS treated the same way by the mass media to scare people on this level? I know that they said that all of the flu's and viral epidemics that occured during the 20th century would not add up to half of the estimated deaths about to occure, which made me a bit frightened, but then I considered that they could really say whatever they want and get away with it beccause it's an "estimate."

Either way, nature has a funny way of killing off lots of organisms. Though I know that the universe is chaos, it seems like a nearly conscious effort by nature to solve problems like over population. It's pretty senseless to be angry at something like a tsunami, but its a pretty natural reaction. I hope this all just blows over. If it doesn't, thank you for the tips, they sound useful.

#142224 - 01/26/06 11:09 AM Re: Plan ahead...Get Ready! [Re: blasphemy]
Lust Offline

Just being aware, and alert is the best precautionary step you can make. I do hope this dies out, but the rate of mutation in this particular virus is radical, and very much worth the worlds attention.
I have no intentions of waiting on the government to tell me its to late. I want my vaccination now!
This leaves me to wonder how I can acquire such a vaccination?

#142225 - 01/26/06 01:08 PM Re: Plan ahead...Get Ready! [Re: Lust]
Chess Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
Quote:

I have no intentions of waiting on the government to tell me its to late. I want my vaccination now!

It's still being developed. The trouble is that thanks to this thing's mutation rate, there are already a whole bunch of strains of it that the vaccine needs to keep up with.

Here's a page from the CDC about the current situation, along with advice for Americans in the currently-affected regions. (I guess all you non-Americans are supposed to keep drinking duck blood.)

-Chess

#142226 - 01/26/06 02:40 PM Re: Plan ahead...Get Ready! [Re: Lust]
dragondancer Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Virginia
Quote:

I am sure you have already seen this from the CDC website, but for others who might also be wondering:

"There currently is no commercially available vaccine to protect humans against H5N1 virus that is being seen in Asia and Europe. However, vaccine development efforts are taking place. Research studies to test a vaccine to protect humans against H5N1 virus began in April 2005, and a series of clinical trials is under way. For more information about H5N1 vaccine development process, visit the National Institute of Health."
source

Hail Satan!
"It does take an exceptional mind and a still more exceptional integrity to remain untouched by the brain-destroying influences of the world's doctrines, the accumulated evil of the centuries-to remain human, since the human is the rational." Dr. Akston in Atlas Shrugged

"Not life, but good life, is to be chiefly valued." Socrates

Dragondancer
Temple of Vampire

#142227 - 01/26/06 03:17 PM Re: Plan ahead...Get Ready! [Re: dragondancer]
Lust Offline

It is to my knowledge one of the drugs being stockpiled by all governments around the world is Tamiflu, which is not known to be a cure. Here is another link for some thought. Curent testing, and vaccine

#142228 - 01/26/06 04:01 PM Re: Plan ahead...Get Ready! [Re: Lust]
dragondancer Offline

CoS Member

Quote:

It is to my knowledge one of the drugs being stockpiled by all governments around the world is Tamiflu, which is not known to be a cure. Here is another link for some thought. Curent testing, and vaccine

Yes, but Tamiflu (oseltamavir) is one of the ones that they are not sure will be effective. More studies need to be conducted.

Edit: Oh, yeah...you said that didn't you. My mistake.

Now if you want to volunteer to test the vaccines they are working on here are the Universities doing the research. I wouldn't do it, but if you want a vaccine badly enough....

The VTEUs now enrolling adult volunteers are

University of California at Los Angeles (Joel Ward, M.D., Principal Investigator)
University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD (James Campbell, M.D., Principal Investigator)
University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, NY (John Treanor, M.D., Principal Investigator)
In addition to the previous contract awarded to sanofi pasteur, in May 2004 NIAID also awarded a contract to Chiron Corporation of Emeryville, CA, to produce H5N1 vaccine for clinical trials.

source

Hail Satan!

Edited by dragondancer (01/26/06 04:03 PM)
"It does take an exceptional mind and a still more exceptional integrity to remain untouched by the brain-destroying influences of the world's doctrines, the accumulated evil of the centuries-to remain human, since the human is the rational." Dr. Akston in Atlas Shrugged

Dragondancer
Temple of Vampire

#142229 - 01/26/06 05:32 PM Re: Plan ahead...Get Ready! [Re: dragondancer]
Lust Offline

I still cant stop laughing. Forgive me if I don't go sign up anytime soon. I was waiting for some sarcasm, thanks. You know even if this does happen, and Human life starts anew, the new Bohemians (whether they choose Satan as an archetype or not) will still be here under any tittle they choose.
"Hail Satan!"

#142230 - 01/26/06 07:51 PM Re: Plan ahead...Get Ready! [Re: Lust]
Jack_Lantern Offline
CoS Member

Loc: America
The most you can do right now is get a regular flu shot. This will gear up your immune system and prepare it for the hit, if it ever comes. It will not keep you from being hospitalized, but it will give you better chances at survival then someone who didn't get one.

#142231 - 01/26/06 08:52 PM Re: Plan ahead...Get Ready! [Re: Jack_Lantern]
dragondancer Offline

CoS Member

Quote:

The most you can do right now is get a regular flu shot. This will gear up your immune system and prepare it for the hit, if it ever comes. It will not keep you from being hospitalized, but it will give you better chances at survival then someone who didn't get one.

I don't believe this is true. The flu shots given at the onset of a flu season are tailored specifically for flu strains that may possibly be a problem during that season. While these influenza strains are similar to the avian flu, they are not the avian flu, so a regular flu shot will do nothing toward the avian flu. The flu shot given causes your body to produce antibodies to protect you from the specific viruses that they are tailored for and nothing else. The idea that a flu shot will protect you from anything other than what it was developed for or boost your immune system is a myth.

There are things you can do to boost your immune system, I am not going to go into detail here about it. The old fashioned way may be the best way; eating a healthy diet, exercising, getting plenty of rest and keeping your stress down to a minimum, these will go a long way toward boosting your immune system immensely.

As for protecting yourself and your loved ones against a pandemic of avian flu? Read this, it is a discussion about Tamiflu and Relenza, medications commonly used for flu symptoms.

"For the neuraminidase inhibitors,(Tamiflu and Relenza) the main constraints which are substantial involve limited production capacity and a price that is prohibitively high for many countries. At present manufacturing capacity, which has recently quadrupled, it will take a decade to produce enough oseltamivir(Tamiflu) to treat 20% of the worlds population. The manufacturing process for oseltamivir is complex and time-consuming, and is not easily transferred to other facilities.

Following a donation by industry, WHO will have a stockpile of antiviral medications, sufficient for 3 million treatment courses, by early 2006. Recent studies, based on mathematical modelling, suggest that these drugs could be used prophylactically near the start of a pandemic to reduce the risk that a fully transmissible virus will emerge or at least to delay its international spread, thus gaining time to augment vaccine supplies."

"Is the world adequately prepared?

No. Despite an advance warning that has lasted almost two years, the world is ill-prepared to defend itself during a pandemic. WHO has urged all countries to develop preparedness plans, but only around 40 have done so. WHO has further urged countries with adequate resources to stockpile antiviral drugs nationally for use at the start of a pandemic. Around 30 countries are purchasing large quantities of these drugs, but the manufacturer has no capacity to fill these orders immediately. On present trends, most developing countries will have no access to vaccines and antiviral drugs throughout the duration of a pandemic."

source

So, the WHO has said they are stockpiling these medications, that the world is nowhere near prepared for a pandemic, and that it would take ten years to produce enough Tamiflu to cover only 20% of the world population!

You know what, I am not waiting for them. I am stockpiling my own!

Hail Satan!

Dragondancer
Temple of Vampire

#142232 - 01/26/06 09:10 PM Re: Plan ahead...Get Ready! [Re: Lust]
Ram Offline

Loc: Vae Victus
I can remember some doctor guy on TV quite a while ago warning everyone to stockpile vaccines, quite a few countries ignored him.

I hope this thing is like the next plague, next time maybe moron politicians will listen to people. Its allways best to air on the side of caution when dealing with deadly diseases.

#142233 - 01/26/06 09:28 PM Re: Plan ahead...Get Ready! [Re: Ram]
dragondancer Offline

CoS Member

Quote:

I can remember some doctor guy on TV quite a while ago warning everyone to stockpile vaccines, quite a few countries ignored him.

I hope this thing is like the next plague, next time maybe moron politicians will listen to people. Its allways best to air on the side of caution when dealing with deadly diseases.

One more time.....there are NO vaccines available against the Avian flu at this time. Research is being conducted at the present time.

Hail Satan!

Dragondancer
Temple of Vampire

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Forum Stats
12109 Members
73 Forums
43869 Topics
405523 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements