Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#142234 - 01/26/06 09:33 PM Re: Plan ahead...Get Ready! [Re: dragondancer]
Ram Offline

Loc: Vae Victus
Well, maybe they decided to stockpile chicken soup then.

#142235 - 01/26/06 10:48 PM Re: Plan ahead...Get Ready! [Re: Jack_Lantern]
Dark_Adept Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: High Hades
I don't agree with that analogy. Flu shots, in my opinion are "loaded" placeebos. At the least, they're basically the same as religion in a physical context, they pacify the idiots by giving them a sense of false assurance that because they're injected, that their resistance will be an added buffer in case they get hit with the "superflu." Bullshit I say. At the other end of the spectrum, people are always getting these flu shots every year whenever the media wants to start its annual flu paranoia and get the asses I mean, masses riled up that an possible epidemic might occur, so they might as well get injected by the very host (virus) that they're trying to avoid getting! Hell, ok I'll buy that bullshit. Since people are lining up at the first sneeze they see or hear to get injected with the very virus they fear contracting, let's go all the way and get injected with a venereal disease so that in case some of us wants to feel "randy" and take a walk on the wild side by not using protection, at least we'll already have one of the several VD's out there in our system. Damn, I don't know what possesses these idiots to get a VIRUS injected into their immune system JUST so they can have the false sense of security that if they already are sick as a dog (voluntarily I might add) then when the bug actually catches up to them...they'll be impervious to it. Ok...and Elvis is alive and well.

#142236 - 01/26/06 10:49 PM Re: Plan ahead...Get Ready! [Re: Ram]
dragondancer Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Virginia
Quote:

You know, I used to advocate the use of chicken soup for the flu, but now..........

Hail Satan!
"It does take an exceptional mind and a still more exceptional integrity to remain untouched by the brain-destroying influences of the world's doctrines, the accumulated evil of the centuries-to remain human, since the human is the rational." Dr. Akston in Atlas Shrugged

"Not life, but good life, is to be chiefly valued." Socrates

Dragondancer
Temple of Vampire

#142237 - 01/26/06 11:06 PM Re: Plan ahead...Get Ready! [Re: Dark_Adept]
dragondancer Offline

CoS Member

Quote:

possible epidemic might occur, so they might as well get injected by the very host (virus) that they're trying to avoid getting! Hell, ok I'll buy that bullshit. Since people are lining up at the first sneeze they see or hear to get injected with the very virus they fear contracting, let's go all the way and get injected with a venereal disease so that in case some of us wants to feel "randy" and take a walk on the wild side by not using protection, at least we'll already have one of the several VD's out there in our system. Damn, I don't know what possesses these idiots to get a VIRUS injected into their immune system JUST so they can have the false sense of security that if they already are sick as a dog (voluntarily I might add) then when the bug actually catches up to them...they'll be impervious to it. Ok...and Elvis is alive and well.

Let me just clarify something here. You are not injected with a live virus when you get a flu shot. You are injected with a killed virus, that triggers an immune response in your body. It does not give you the flu, it does not give you flu symptoms. It may give you a sore arm, but unless you are allergic to it, it will NOT make you sick.

It is only a false sense of security in that people tend to think that if they get the shot they are protected from all viruses. That is not true. Their bodies will, however, produce antibodies against the specific influenza that the shots are produce to protect against, and that changes from year to year.

Stop perpetuating myths and do some research.

Hail Satan!
"It does take an exceptional mind and a still more exceptional integrity to remain untouched by the brain-destroying influences of the world's doctrines, the accumulated evil of the centuries-to remain human, since the human is the rational." Dr. Akston in Atlas Shrugged

Dragondancer
Temple of Vampire

#142238 - 01/27/06 12:45 AM Re: Plan ahead...Get Ready! [Re: dragondancer]
uncleherpe Offline

Quote:

Quote:

You know, I used to advocate the use of chicken soup for the flu, but now..........

Hail Satan!

hilarious!!

your second post was good, I was about to clarify that but you beat me to it...

#142239 - 01/27/06 01:43 AM Re: Plan ahead...Get Ready! [Re: dragondancer]
Jack_Lantern Offline
CoS Member

Loc: America
Quote:

The flu shot given causes your body to produce antibodies to protect you from the specific viruses that they are tailored for and nothing else.

The immune system doesn't quite work like that. Smallpox vaccinations are of a related virus, not smallpox. If the immune system only recognizes specific proteins, then how would it be possible for smallpox vaccinations to work? It's simple; the immune system is more adaptable than you give it credit for.

#142240 - 01/27/06 02:59 PM Re: Plan ahead...Get Ready! [Re: Jack_Lantern]
dragondancer Offline

CoS Member

Quote:

Quote:

The flu shot given causes your body to produce antibodies to protect you from the specific viruses that they are tailored for and nothing else.

The immune system doesn't quite work like that. Smallpox vaccinations are of a related virus, not smallpox. If the immune system only recognizes specific proteins, then how would it be possible for smallpox vaccinations to work? It's simple; the immune system is more adaptable than you give it credit for.

Okay, I do not profess to be an expert on the human immune system. It is a complex, multifaceted system, that continues to be the subject of much research.

That being said, I don't see how your example of the small pox vaccine disputes what I said in my post about how the immune system works within the context of antigens and antibodies.

I concede that the small pox vaccine is made from a virus that is related to small pox (vaccinia) and not the actual small pox virus.(I don't think that I intimated that you cannot do this.) This virus is antigenically equivalent to the small pox virus, so that it is able to provoke the body into producing the antibodies that will protect you from the targeted virus. It will protect you from small pox, and the vaccinia virus. That is pretty specific. It won't protect you from any other viruses. (Unless of course they are also antigenic equivalents, and I don't know if there are others or not.) It isn't going to protect you from the varicella virus, even though that is also a pox virus. You need to be innoculated with varicella, either by disease or vaccine, in order to be protected from it, otherwise you remain susceptible, no matter how many other different vaccines you get.

It is certainly possible that I am not giving the immune system as much credit for adaptability as it actually has, but you have not shown me anything that disputes that vaccines are target specific. If I get the flu vaccine for this flu season it will protect me only from antigenically equivalent viruses and nothing more, and avian flu is obviously not antigenically equivalent to these viruses. If it were, the WHO would be recommending people in high risk nations receive it, and they are not. I'm certainly not going to count on it.

Hail Satan!

Dragondancer
Temple of Vampire

#142241 - 01/27/06 03:21 PM Re: Plan ahead...Get Ready! [Re: Lust]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
I laugh in the face of bird flu.

It's all a load of hogwash. Utter twaddle.

Isn't the government official who announced this threat to the American public the chief shareholder in the company that manufactures the antidote?

A dozen or so people die of it everyday around the world. Have been for years. It just usually goes unnoticed.

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

#142242 - 01/27/06 05:33 PM Re: Plan ahead...Get Ready! [Re: Lust]
Asmedious Offline

Let me know when it's time to panic and run around in circles. Until then I will just sit here twiddling my thumbs.
As for not having to be a nurse to other human beings....um, but that's my profession. .....runs to put on gas mask.

#142243 - 01/27/06 06:54 PM Re: Plan ahead...Get Ready! [Re: Asmedious]
dragondancer Offline

CoS Member

Quote:

As for not having to be a nurse to other human beings....um, but that's my profession. .....runs to put on gas mask.

Yes, there are times when they just don't pay us enough! When you consider the risks...

Hail Satan!

Dragondancer
Temple of Vampire

#142244 - 01/27/06 08:29 PM Re: Plan ahead...Get Ready! [Re: dragondancer]
Lust Offline

This link should help in educating everyone on The Human Immune System. Health line
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#142245 - 01/27/06 08:35 PM Re: Plan ahead...Get Ready! [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Lust Offline

I do not think that anyone has found a vaccine for H5N1 or "Bird Flu". Tamiflu, and Relenza are what the goverments around the world are stockpilling.
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#142246 - 01/28/06 01:05 AM Re: Plan ahead...Get Ready! [Re: Lust]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
>>Tamiflu, and Relenza are what the goverments around the world are stockpilling.<<

It doesn't matter what the name of it is. Whatever it is they are selling is the reason behind the media manipulations.

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

#142247 - 01/28/06 01:31 AM Re: Plan ahead...Get Ready! [Re: dragondancer]
Jack_Lantern Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

If it were, the WHO would be recommending people in high risk nations receive it, and they are not.

Well I'm not an expert either, but the notice my father got at the hospital suggested that they all get flu virus shots. And the way he explained it, antigenic equivalence was a factor. So I guess your going to stock up on tamiflu, I'll get the shot, and who ever dies first is wrong.

#142248 - 01/28/06 01:36 AM Re: Plan ahead...Get Ready! [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Jack_Lantern Offline
CoS Member

Yeah, they also say the immanent epidemic can kill one fourth of the world population, can't you just let a man dream?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Forum Stats
12253 Members
73 Forums
44031 Topics
406349 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements