Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#144060 - 02/07/06 05:10 PM The Environment and Satanism
Lithslithus Offline

As a preface, I don't have every book or scripture written by Satanists on all subjects. If there is a book or essay that covers this subject, I'd be very interested to see it. I also took a quick search through the forum and I hadn't found this subject covered either.

How do Satanists view the environment and the unfortunate abuse of the bed we all sleep in, known as Earth?

I couldn't find a clear answer to this. One one hand, Mr. Lavey vilifies the natural order of life, condemning individuals who strive against it; on the other he has no qualms talking about industrialists or big buisinesses as positive individuals. I can see his reasons for both quite clearly but what I'm foggy about is the actual philosophy towards environmental concerns.

Destruction is required for progress, there's no way you can avoid that. However, it becomes apparent when someone crosses the line from exploiting their resources and similtaneously eating up your own. Big environmentally unsound industries come to mind. These things mess up everyone's plans for a fruitful life, in the name of their own selfish gains. There's industry and then there's survival and in the name of survival it stands to reason that Satanists would at least assume an air of environmental conscientousness. A respect for the needs of life.

In essence, is the environment villified or is it considered extraneous? Some clarity would be apreciated.

Edited by Lithslithus (02/07/06 05:33 PM)

#144061 - 02/07/06 05:21 PM Re: The Environment and Satanism [Re: Lithslithus]
CrimsIn_Guard Offline

I look at it sort of how George Carlin looks at it. We're not even making a dent in this place.

We are fleas on the back of a giant dog...and when she gets irritated enough with us...she will shake us off.

#144062 - 02/07/06 05:22 PM Re: The Environment and Satanism [Re: Lithslithus]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.
How do Satanists view the environment and the unfortunate abuse of the bed we all sleep in, known as Earth?

Feh. Let the druids worry about that. You might want to ask what
the Satanic view on politics (Kyoto Accord, EPA etc...) is?

Mr. Lavay

Who's that?

#144063 - 02/07/06 05:31 PM Re: The Environment and Satanism [Re: CrimsIn_Guard]
Lithslithus Offline

Thank-you.

This is an actual answer to the question I was asking.

Although I can't share the same sentiment, it's interesting to hear.

#144064 - 02/07/06 05:34 PM Re: The Environment and Satanism [Re: RandomStranger]
Lithslithus Offline

Asking neurotically precise questions about a subject that can be covered in a single one, is a damn waste of time.

And it's called a 'typo'. You've made thousands in your time I'm sure. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

#144066 - 02/07/06 05:44 PM Re: The Environment and Satanism [Re: Lithslithus]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
Quote:

Quote:

I couldn't find a clear answer to this.

Satanism represents life - Earth sustains that life. To me, the answer is simple.

Quote:

One one hand, Mr. Lavay vilifies the natural order of life, condemning individuals who strive against it; on the other he has no qualms talking about industrialists or big buisinesses as positive individuals.

Where did Dr. LaVey shine a negative light on the natural function of life?

*As a note: Please spell Dr. LaVey's name properly.*

Quote:

In essence, is the environment villified or is it considered extraneous? Some clarity would be apreciated.

Have you read anything at all about Satanism? If you did, perhaps you should read it again.
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a personís faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#144067 - 02/07/06 06:15 PM Re: The Environment and Satanism [Re: Poetaster]
Lithslithus Offline

It would appear obvious that many people don't agree with you

And I'm sure Lavey is rolling around in his grave in abject horror that I made a typo! Whatever shall I do?! It's fixed by the way. Find something less silly to comment on.

#144068 - 02/07/06 06:20 PM Re: The Environment and Satanism [Re: Lithslithus]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.
Asking neurotically precise questions about a subject that can be covered in a single one, is a damn waste of time.

Exactly! Just like trying to fit all Satanists into a broadswept
category of {pro|con}-[some issue] by asking what "the actual
philosophy towards environmental concerns
" is.

You've made thousands in your time I'm sure.

Of course I make typos. But not where it matters.

#144069 - 02/07/06 06:22 PM Re: The Environment and Satanism [Re: Lithslithus]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
Quote:

It would appear obvious that many people don't agree with you

If that is the case, I'm not overly concerned.

Though I am curious how you drew that conclusion.
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a personís faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#144070 - 02/07/06 06:28 PM Re: The Environment and Satanism [Re: ]
Lithslithus Offline

I know individuals don't share my exact opinions. That's a given.

Thank-you for answering my question to the best of your ability. Since I don't have access to every Satanist book under the Sun, I wasn't sure if the talks on Natural man and Earth actually went into that realm, or if they just stagnated.

Since several varying opinions were presented it seems it's a personal case. Excellent. Onto something else.

#144071 - 02/07/06 06:40 PM Re: The Environment and Satanism [Re: Lithslithus]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
>>As a preface, I don't have every book or scripture
>>written by Satanists on all subjects.

Who does?

>>How do Satanists view the environment and the
>>unfortunate abuse of the bed we all sleep in, known
>>as Earth?

My own take is that "responsibility to the responsible" plays a big part here. I abhor the idea of people dumping toxic waste in random places, carelessly poluting other public places, etc. I also think there are environmental topics that should be given more attention than they're currently given, like overpopulation.

However, the hysteria-like obedience I see in many active environmentalists comes off as quite unsatanic. There's a lot of propaganda coming from that group too which so many blindingly accept as truth. There's a "third side" somewhere in between. This subject gets tied into politics too, and political views obviously change from Satanist to Satanist.

>>And it's called a 'typo'.

No, something like "LaVeyy" or "LVey" is a typo. "Lavay" is an outright misspelling, no doubt phonetically based.

>>And I'm sure Lavey is rolling around in his grave in
>>abject horror that I made a typo! Whatever shall I do?!
>>It's fixed by the way.

Almost...

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's ‹bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#144072 - 02/07/06 06:44 PM Re: The Environment and Satanism [Re: Lithslithus]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
Satanists are individuals. Each individual has his own personal opinions about different issues, including the so called "Environment".

But there are of course, some things all Satanists share, like a respect for animals and life in general.

The rule of not killing animals unless absolutely necessary (self-defense or food) is one that shows how Satanists interact with nature.

Also, Satanist is always respectful of the laws of the country he lives, which means he would not do irresponsible things like not dropping used car oil in the backyard or drinking while driving oil tankers.

Quote:

Since I don't have access to every Satanist book under the Sun

Actually, you only need ONE book to get a good idea of what Satanism is all about. And about SIX to get to get a pretty complete knoledge on the subject.

#144073 - 02/07/06 06:52 PM Re: The Environment and Satanism [Re: Lithslithus]
uncleherpe Offline

The earth isnt hurting. I think we're doing just fine.

The vast majority of people Ive spoken to who are enviromentalists are not interested in actual research about the enviroment, they are concerned about who is in office and want to talk about how evil corperations are(and use the earth to gain attention). They bitch about GMO's and speicies loss without really knowing what the hell they are talking about. I've gotten quite sick of the idea of evil ceos in giant sky scrapers plotting the way to make a profit in the most cruel and careless fashion possible- its unrealistic and SILLY.

edit: as far as the relationship between this subject and satanism goes- well I would say its best to continue being skeptical and researching both sides of the issue. There is so much disagreement, and each position has its fair share of gain from producing research. Trying to find info from people who are genuinely curious is pretty tough, but it can be done. the truth is almost always somewhere in the middle.

Edited by uncleherpe (02/07/06 06:55 PM)

#144074 - 02/07/06 07:08 PM Re: The Environment and Satanism [Re: Lithslithus]
Maya Offline
CoS Member

Loc: New England
I personally abhor the abuse of nature and animals in any form. Humanity is a spoiled child, completely unappreciative of its parent (nature). People complain about natural disasters, but few realize that many types of natural disasters are an indirect result of humanity's mistreatment of the planet. Of course, if humanity would take an active role in curbing its own growth and possibly reducing the population, nature might not have to do it for them.

That being said, I am not anti-civilization. However, I believe that it is crucial to our survival that we stop operating under the arrogant assumption that the planet is ours to dominate and its resources ours to use any way we deem appropriate. Religion is a culprit here. Just refer to the Book of Genesis if you don't believe me.
The mind is its own place, and in itself
Can make a heaven of hell, or a hell of heaven." - Paradise Lost, lines 251-255 of Book I

Wading in the cyberspace cesspool (MySpace page)

#144075 - 02/07/06 07:13 PM Re: The Environment and Satanism [Re: Lithslithus]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

I support preservation of the "environment" in a sense, but for very different reasons than most environmentalists, and in different ways.

First, as far as I'm concerned the earth exists to serve man, not the other way around.

However, soiling your own sheets is unpleasant.

Therefore, I believe that limited "natural" tracts ought to be maintained for our amusement and for the purpose of more cheaply maintaining cleanliness than we can do. We can filter everything, or let plant life do it for us. The plants are free. Water is essential, so it's foolish to get it too dirty to drink. Land looks better when it's not marred by filth.

On the other hand, I couldn't care less about leaving everything pristine. The "natural world" is an amusement park and filter, not a god(dess) we ought to bow down before.

This, by the way, is perfectly natural. Plenty of other animals actively modify the environment to suit them; beavers did it and still do in some areas to a massive degree. Everything from elephants to earthworms modifies whatever they can to suit them. We do the same. There is no guilt for this.

I still think people who throw litter in my yard ought to have their brains pulled through their nostrils.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Forum Stats
12013 Members
73 Forums
43824 Topics
405204 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements