Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#144076 - 02/07/06 07:51 PM Re: The Environment and Satanism [Re: Maya]
uncleherpe Offline

Quote:

I personally abhor the abuse of nature and animals in any form. Humanity is a spoiled child, completely unappreciative of its parent (nature). People complain about natural disasters, but few realize that many types of natural disasters are an indirect result of humanity's mistreatment of the planet.

How do people cause hurricanes and earthquakes?

#144077 - 02/07/06 09:40 PM Re: The Environment and Satanism [Re: uncleherpe]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
Quote:

Keep in mind, hurricanes and earthquakes are not the only 'natural' disasters to plague mankind.

Floods, disease, famine, avalanches, drought, etc. are all examples of natural disasters.

Overpopulation is a major factor for many imbalances in the process of nature - which will sometimes lead to these events.

Take drought for instance: I found this comment provided by the University of Wisconsin - Disaster Management Center.

"Human activities also contribute to the development of drought conditions. Overgrazing, poor cropping methods and improper soil conservation techniques often contribute to creating the drought."

That's just one example of how humans can be direct causes for disasters. Certainly, not every disaster on the face of the planet is caused by the human race - that would be an unreasonable argument - however, it's certain that we are a factor for many.

I'll provide you with one more example.

Global warming - we've all heard about it.

Another direct effect from human causality. The more we breed, the more fuel we use. The more fuel we use, the more pollution we cause.

I provide you with a few passages from a Q & A interview hosted by the N.R.D.C - Natural Resource Defense Council.

"What causes global warming?"

"Carbon dioxide and other air pollution that is collecting in the atmosphere like a thickening blanket, trapping the sun's heat and causing the planet to warm up. Coal-burning power plants are the largest U.S. source of carbon dioxide pollution -- they produce 2.5 billion tons every year. Automobiles, the second largest source, create nearly 1.5 billion tons of CO2 annually."

This is just the United States.

Do humans have any bearing on the frequency of hurricanes and earthquakes? No. Do we have a bearing on their intensity? Yes.

Consider this; "Global warming doesn't create hurricanes, but it does make them stronger and more dangerous. Because the ocean is getting warmer, tropical storms can pick up more energy and become more powerful. So global warming could turn, say, a category 3 storm into a much more dangerous category 4 storm. In fact, scientists have found that the destructive potential of hurricanes has greatly increased along with ocean temperature over the past 35 years."

But, it really all boils down to whether or not you're concerned with what happens after you are personally gone. I'd hardly say that the Earth is in any immanent danger - though it stands to reason that with the perpetual growth of the human population, eventually we will cause the destruction of our planet.

#144078 - 02/07/06 09:57 PM Re: The Environment and Satanism [Re: Poetaster]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
Quote:

I'd hardly say that the Earth is in any immanent danger - though it stands to reason that with the perpetual growth of the human population, eventually we will cause the destruction of our planet.

Nope. We can cause the extinction of the human species... but the planet will still here.

#144079 - 02/07/06 11:19 PM Re: The Environment and Satanism [Re: Poetaster]
uncleherpe Offline

I am not actually convinced that global warming is even happening. junk science has a ton of good articles about global warming, and you cant really argue with the temperature records.

drought? well, contribution and cause are not the same thing. I thought the post I quoted was talking about how people cause natural disasters, not how we contribute to an already occuring natural disaster. I could get stabbed and poke at my wound(which would make it worse), but that doesnt mean that the poking caused the stab wound.

Edited by uncleherpe (02/08/06 12:31 AM)

#144080 - 02/08/06 12:33 AM Re: The Environment and Satanism [Re: Lithslithus]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
I would say that I am quite pro-environment indeed, and I certainly would say that my stance is a Satanic one.

Animals are treasured by most Satanists--for their beauty, for their diversity, for their natures, for their honesty, and for what they can teach us.

It makes no sense to soil one's own sheets, and shit in one's own nest. The planet supports us, so it's in our interest to support it so that it can continue to support us.

I like many animals and plants better than I like many people, and many Satanists feel the same way. So, it makes sense to stand behind who I prefer, and certainly, behind those I actually like or love. Many of the animals and plants I know or know of, I see as individuals, with their own valuable, interesting, worthwhile lives. Even if I were not here to enjoy them for my own benefit, I would still hope that they would continue to thrive--especially the lemurs .

Nature improves my quality of life in so many ways, so I seek to preserve that which teaches me, enlightens me, and makes me happy.

Observation has shown me that assorted humans who try to dominate or ignore nature without properly understanding it or respecting it first usually live to regret it---or, if they don't, their descendants do. Hubris is a killer.

Humans need nature. The presence of a nice park--and believe me, humans need even more than just one little park--with some trees and bushes can make such a difference, aesthetically and otherwise. (Read Desmond Morris' "The Human Zoo" if you don't quite believe me.) Nature's presence also serves to remind humans that they are also animals, with creaturely instincts, anatomy, and traits, and a long, glorious evolutionary heritage. Some of the most obnoxious and/or nasty people I know are noticeably detached from, oblivious to, disrespectful of, or even disdainful of animals and nature, and I don't think it's a mere coincidence.

Most anti-environmental views that I am familiar with are connected to or spawned directly from backwards, anti-science, anti-life Judeo-Christian-Islamic values. Certainly, there's no use in championing or even allowing causes whose fundamental core assumptions are that the planet is evil, that the Rapture is nigh, that humans are not animals and are preferable to animals, and/or that humans are the pinnacle of creation.

Even what I've said here doesn't quite do my whole view justice. There's a lot more sentiment and sentimentality at work than I can hope to easily convey, and it goes much deeper.

Edited by TrojZyr (02/08/06 12:54 AM)

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#144081 - 02/08/06 12:53 AM Re: The Environment and Satanism [Re: TrojZyr]
uncleherpe Offline

The things that please me aesthetically are big industrial buildings, grafitti, filth, cars, clothing, etc. I really enjoy looking at the amazing things that have been accomplished by man. Thats what I find truly inspiring. The amber waves of grain and fruited plains are BORING as far as I am concerned.

I am confused about what you said in regards to anti-enviroment views. What is an anti enviromental viewpoint?

#144082 - 02/08/06 01:09 AM Re: The Environment and Satanism [Re: uncleherpe]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Anything that calls animals in general "dumb" (or a synonym expressing disgust or severe disinterest), anything that denies that humans are animals, and certainly, any statement that starts or ends with, "When Jesus comes back...."

"Anti-environment" is a strong way to put it, and can even be disingenuous or snarky, depending on who you're talking about--for example, many views are better described as being "environment apathetic" or "environment oblivious," more than "anti-environment"---but I wanted to get the point across succinctly without having to state too many exceptions or disclaimers.

....especially since this is something I'd say I feel pretty strongly about, so I'm not eager to mince words about it too much, if it means that what I value is going to be sabotaged in any serious way. If the whole world were to be turned into Detroit or New York--hypothetically, of course---I'd be absolutely furious, and I'd do my absolute best to prevent that.

I don't want to live in a primitive, city-free world, either, mind you, so I'm not a Luddite, Amish, or Rousseau-fan. I like to see the accomplishments of humankind, too, and I think big cities and large townships have their place in the bigger scheme of things. (Living completely out "in the boonies" ain't all it's cracked up to be--it pays to be 10 to 15 minutes away from the mall, some good restaurants, the bus station, and the hospital!) But, I figure, a 250-year-old tree is a rarer sight than a concrete highway, and much harder to replace if destroyed, so care must be taken not to do regretable things that can't be undone. I get more joy out of learning about an Abert's squirrel than I do out of learning about a parking meter, or about the Crip retard who spray-painted the side of the bus stop.
Oh, and I realize this post was strongly biased. The city is a more interesting place for those who enjoy it---and even I enjoy it---so I realize I slanted the debate a certain way.

Edited by TrojZyr (02/08/06 05:16 PM)

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#144083 - 02/08/06 10:37 AM Re: The Environment and Satanism [Re: Lithslithus]
d1g1t Offline

Loc: Southwest UK
There's nothing unnatural about shits in nature: I'm sure many plants would love this, but I am no expert gardener!

However, dumping plastic into landfills isn't always that great: I'd rather not see my planet with rubbish everywhere.

Many animals use materials to aid their lives, so why shouldn't we? Beavers make dams out of wood, wasps make their nests out of their own spit I believe (Correct me if I am wrong!)...

I do prefer animals over many humans, but that doesn't mean we can't use landfills, because as much as recycling is a great idea, it doesn't give us the best quality goods.

Birds shit on our pavements, and we dump our rubbish in the countryside.

#144084 - 02/08/06 11:15 AM Re: The Environment and Satanism [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Quiddity Offline
CoS Member

Loc: CA
Would that be body-modification?

#144085 - 02/08/06 12:30 PM Re: The Environment and Satanism [Re: Lithslithus]
Atheon Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Long Beach, CA
Quote:

I don't have every book or scripture written by Satanists on all subjects.

Sounds like a sheep in wolves clothing. A Satanist doesn't need a bunch of books to tell him or her how to think. A Satanist doesn't regurgitate the thoughts of others, but creates new thoughts.

Quote:

How do Satanists view the environment and the unfortunate abuse of the bed we all sleep in, known as Earth?

Since Satanists are individuals, you'd have to ask all of them about their viewpoints. I am an environmentalist, but one who's environmentalsm doesn't stem from some false sense of morality based on erroneous science. Keeping the environment clean and beautiful is good for humans aesthetically, healthwise, and psychologically. So caring for the planet is a no brainer for a Satanist I would think.

I do not believe that humans are causing the climate shift that we are appearantly experiencing though. People have forgotten their elementary science. The earth is still warming out of the last ice age. So global warming is inevitable and will speed up before reaching critical and plunging back into another ice age.

We, humans, are doing quite a fantastic job dirtying things up a bit though. No worries! Our species won't last forever and nature will create new forms of life that will process and live happily with all that we leave behind.

Quote:

Destruction is required for progress, there's no way you can avoid that.

That's foney-baloney absolutist environmentalist bunk! There are those who are finding ways to create "progress" and industry that enhances the natural environment while shaping it to suit human interests.

Quote:

In essence, is the environment villified or is it considered extraneous?

Go to www.dictionary.com and look up the words "villify" and "extraneous". I think you need some clarification of those words to use them properly.

Atheon Naturali

#144086 - 02/08/06 12:36 PM Re: The Environment and Satanism [Re: uncleherpe]
Bedlam Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Perfidious Albion
Quote:

You've obviously never experienced the mushy peas from our local chippy.

Do I look like I carry a pencil? Jason Statham

It may be Crazy
But I'm the closest thing I have
To a voice of reason

~ Gil Scott Heron

#144087 - 02/08/06 12:43 PM Re: The Environment and Satanism [Re: Lithslithus]
Kerise Offline

Loc: Going to hell wearing gasoline...
I think your question was pretty much like asking " Do Satanist like to eat pizza?"
I didn't read you introduction, but I am guesing you come from a religion such as Wicca, which is not a bad thing, that's where I came from, but it has, like most, a sheep mind set. " Harm None means all living things."
I think the real question you need to ask is a question to yourself: " What do I think about the enviroment?" And enjoy the world of free thought.

#144088 - 02/08/06 12:50 PM Re: The Environment and Satanism [Re: Lithslithus]
Bedlam Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Perfidious Albion
Quote:

One one hand, Mr. Lavey vilifies the natural order of life, condemning individuals who strive against it; on the other he has no qualms talking about industrialists or big buisinesses as positive individuals.

That would be because there is nothing unnatural about either.

Do I look like I carry a pencil? Jason Statham

It may be Crazy
But I'm the closest thing I have
To a voice of reason

~ Gil Scott Heron

#144089 - 02/08/06 01:23 PM Re: The Environment and Satanism [Re: Lithslithus]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Obviously there is no one answer to how Satanists view the environment, and the effects of homo sapiens on it. To be honest, you could replace homo sapiens with virtually any other species name, and have the same question. EVERY species effects the environment. In many cases, these affects will be seen by some as "negative". A group of animals will eventually eat the resources around it. If the herd is healthy, there will come a time when there is not enough to go around...food shortage....over-population. If part of the herd migrates, they will probably have to adapt to another environment, with some possible negative impact on the herd...disease, famine...or they may cause change to take place in the environment, often endangering local plant and animal life...extinction of species. There may be climate changes over time, due to loss of certain plant life...local warming.
No species can survive without impacting the environment. Depepnding on your viewpoint, some of these will be negative. With the ability to envision possible outcomes to certain actions, it seems only wise for us to preserve those things which give us pleasure, and even insure the future of our species.
I, myself, enjoy some time in remote, woody areas. I would hope we could preserve some space for this. I am also a city boy, who feels very comfortable in the urban jungle. I also enjoy different kinds of animals, and would like to see certain species stick around for a while. Fortunately, for me, I am partial to insects, so there is little we can do to destroy my enjoyment...I will ALWAYS have the cockroaches to play with.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#144090 - 02/08/06 02:05 PM Re: The Environment and Satanism [Re: Poetaster]
Maya Offline
CoS Member

Loc: New England
Quote:

Quote:

Keep in mind, hurricanes and earthquakes are not the only 'natural' disasters to plague mankind.

Floods, disease, famine, avalanches, drought, etc. are all examples of natural disasters.

Overpopulation is a major factor for many imbalances in the process of nature - which will sometimes lead to these events.

Take drought for instance: I found this comment provided by the University of Wisconsin - Disaster Management Center.

"Human activities also contribute to the development of drought conditions. Overgrazing, poor cropping methods and improper soil conservation techniques often contribute to creating the drought."

That's just one example of how humans can be direct causes for disasters. Certainly, not every disaster on the face of the planet is caused by the human race - that would be an unreasonable argument - however, it's certain that we are a factor for many.

I'll provide you with one more example.

Global warming - we've all heard about it.

Another direct effect from human causality. The more we breed, the more fuel we use. The more fuel we use, the more pollution we cause.

I provide you with a few passages from a Q & A interview hosted by the N.R.D.C - Natural Resource Defense Council.

"What causes global warming?"

"Carbon dioxide and other air pollution that is collecting in the atmosphere like a thickening blanket, trapping the sun's heat and causing the planet to warm up. Coal-burning power plants are the largest U.S. source of carbon dioxide pollution -- they produce 2.5 billion tons every year. Automobiles, the second largest source, create nearly 1.5 billion tons of CO2 annually."

This is just the United States.

Do humans have any bearing on the frequency of hurricanes and earthquakes? No. Do we have a bearing on their intensity? Yes.

Consider this; "Global warming doesn't create hurricanes, but it does make them stronger and more dangerous. Because the ocean is getting warmer, tropical storms can pick up more energy and become more powerful. So global warming could turn, say, a category 3 storm into a much more dangerous category 4 storm. In fact, scientists have found that the destructive potential of hurricanes has greatly increased along with ocean temperature over the past 35 years."

But, it really all boils down to whether or not you're concerned with what happens after you are personally gone. I'd hardly say that the Earth is in any immanent danger - though it stands to reason that with the perpetual growth of the human population, eventually we will cause the destruction of our planet.

Hell, you beat me to it!

In addition to my last post, I'd like to add that humanity should have a balanced relationship with nature. I do not believe that man exists to serve nature, nor do I believe that nature exists to serve man. Humanity, like it or not, is and always will be at the mercy of the will of nature and the universe. When I say "will", understand that I am in no way implying any sort of active consciousness. I believe that the universe operates much like a computer. It is comprised of many different parts, all created and operated in the pursuit of a single goal: to simply maintain existence. All forms of life echo the universe's will to exist. That is its only will. All that it does, it does to exist. If humanity attempts to threaten its existence, it will surely be destroyed just like any other counterproductive creation of nature. At the end of the day, destroying the environment contributes to our own destruction.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Forum Stats
12253 Members
73 Forums
44031 Topics
406341 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements