Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#145559 - 02/16/06 03:25 PM Re: Abortion [Re: Satanya]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
Quote:

Also, you can either be interested in medical procedure or feel like yak. Both is not exactly physically possible to occur.

Though it would be humourous to hear of the neurosurgeon who vomited everytime he performed brain surgery.
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a person’s faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#145560 - 02/16/06 03:35 PM Re: Abortion [Re: Poetaster]
Satanya Offline
Banned

Half-valid point. If he heaved during the first year of medical school, he would have likely lost interest.

Interest & reactions are different things. Also you are probably exaggerating -- vomited during first couple of surgeries would sound more understandable than every time.

#145561 - 02/16/06 03:37 PM Re: Abortion [Re: Satanya]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
A miserable attempt at humour I assure you.
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a person’s faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#145562 - 02/16/06 03:43 PM Re: Abortion [Re: Satanya]
tovasshi Offline

Loc: Banana, Canada
This particular friend was awake. The only put you out for certain procedures. She got the salt solution done, and she was a week past the limit for that procedure. Her main problem wasn't witht he procedure tho, it was with her hormones readjusting. Her body did all kinds of weird things.

>Also, you can either be interested in medical procedure or feel like yak. Both is not exactly physically possible to occur.<

Not so. I have watched my boyfriend get something bloody done in the dentists chair no problem. I have heard details of my sister's many tumour removals no problem. I have seen people get piercings no problem. The only things I have problems looking at or thinking about are child birth, eye surgery, abortion and nose jobs.

#145563 - 02/16/06 03:54 PM Re: Abortion [Re: tovasshi]
Satanya Offline
Banned

Well, I have never heard of abortions being done without general anesthesia and I have never heard of any salt-solution -- not even in Brazil and I´m actually getting my degree next year in surgery procedures, which does not include any major in body-piercing procedures, I don´t believe body-piercing could even be qualified as a medical procedure or surgery.

#145564 - 02/16/06 04:05 PM Re: Abortion [Re: Satanya]
crackergirl Offline

Loc: Kansas
I think it was a joke. It reminded me of SouthPark. Stan gets queasy too. Poor little foul-mouthed cartoon boy.

#145565 - 02/16/06 04:53 PM Re: Abortion [Re: LKRice]
Shiva Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: Ormond Beach, FL
Would the vet be able to do a partial declawing to remove the extra claw on each foot?

I imagine that will be the case, although considering were the extra toes are situated, it will probably be tricky.

"The ugliest of trades have their moments of pleasure. Now, if I were a grave-digger, or even a hangman, there are some people I could work for with a great deal of enjoyment." - Douglas Jerrold

#145566 - 02/16/06 05:00 PM Re: Abortion [Re: Satanya]
tovasshi Offline

It depends if you go to a hospital or a clinic. It also depends on where you are. If you go to a hospital, they use general anaesthetic, if you go to a clinic they give you local anaesthetic. Here in Canada, most abortions are done in seperate clinics. Different methods are available in different countries.

#145567 - 02/16/06 05:21 PM Re: Abortion [Re: Bill_M]
Obolisk Offline

Quote:

I also don't buy the idea of this being strictly "a woman's issue". If the law is going to make a man pay child support for a child that he never wanted, I certainly think that men should have some say when it comes to terminating a pregnancy.

Philosophically, I appreciate and share your position, having had a girl play that card on me before. Procedurally though, I have a difficult time figuring out how it would be practically implemented. Once the kid is born, the rights of both parents go out the window and a duty is imposed on them both with the "best interests of the child" standard. His obligations don't arise until then, and they are simultaneous to hers. You can't contract away your duty to support a child either, so a pre-sex/pre-nup doesn't work. We'd have to fundamentally alter the system to do otherwise.

#145568 - 02/16/06 05:33 PM Re: Abortion [Re: Ashke]
Maya Offline
CoS Member

Loc: New England
I believe that abortion should be legal up to a certain stage in the pregnancy, unless there is great danger to the mother. I do not, however, believe that abortion for the sake of convenience should be encouraged. In fact, I find such an action quite deplorable. I believe that birth control and adoption of unwanted children should be encouraged far above abortion.

I also believe that some people should just not be allowed to reproduce, even if that means forced sterilization. Personally, I think that people should have to obtain licenses to have children. You have to get a license to drive a car or own a gun (in some places, at least). Raising children requires more responsibility than either one of the afore mentioned activities.

The practice of de-clawing, as well as cropping, should be illegal. Both are cruel, though de-clawing is especially despicable. Of course, there are some exceptions when the procedures are for whatever reason in the animal's best interest. However, this is very rarely the case.

#145569 - 02/16/06 06:09 PM Re: Abortion [Re: tovasshi]
Ceallach Offline

Loc: Northern Virginia, USA
Actually, at least back in 1994, clinics here (Near DC) also used general, though it was more money than local. I had a late-term D&C due to a miscarriage and was put under general. Because the clinic also did abortions, I got to deal w/ the pro-lifers, and I'm assuming those receiving abortions would've had the same options open to them I did (general vs local).

#145570 - 02/16/06 07:41 PM Re: Abortion [Re: Bill_M]
uncleherpe Offline

Quote:

If the law is going to make a man pay child support for a child that he never wanted, I certainly think that men should have some say when it comes to terminating a pregnancy. Especially since there are some cruel women out there who will use things like pregnancy to keep a boyfriend from breaking up.

how does one have a 'say'? It either gets carried to term or it doesnt, and I think its completely wrong for anyone to choose except the person who actually CARRIES THE FETUS. Its not fair to the guy, but biology isnt fair to the woman. so thats as 'even' as its gonna get- the guy can choose to be financially responsible ONLY.

-------

my personal opinion? abortion rocks. If it wasnt such a social no no I probably would have reccomended it to some of the people I know.

#145571 - 02/16/06 08:43 PM Re: Abortion [Re: Ceallach]
tovasshi Offline

I also said it depends where you are. I never said all. What I said was a generalization.

#145572 - 02/16/06 09:13 PM Re: Abortion [Re: Ceallach]
uncleherpe Offline

Quote:

Actually, at least back in 1994, clinics here (Near DC) also used general, though it was more money than local. I had a late-term D&C due to a miscarriage and was put under general. Because the clinic also did abortions, I got to deal w/ the pro-lifers, and I'm assuming those receiving abortions would've had the same options open to them I did (general vs local).

I drove a friend to and from an abortion, and they just took some pills about 45minutes to an hour beforehand- they didnt go under because it was too expensive.

#145573 - 02/16/06 09:19 PM Re: Abortion [Re: uncleherpe]
Ceallach Offline

Loc: Northern Virginia, USA
Quote:

I drove a friend to and from an abortion, and they just took some pills about 45minutes to an hour beforehand- they didnt go under because it was too expensive.

Aye; I was too emotionally attached to the baby though so I opted to take a nap; I don't want to think about what a wreck I'd've been, had I been awake hehe.
I guess the pills she took were a sort of drug cocktail like valium, painkillers, etc to zone you out? Never had it before, but heard of it Probably has less side effects than the general too (nausea and whatnot)

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Forum Stats
12221 Members
73 Forums
44002 Topics
406144 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements