Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#145724 - 02/15/06 11:54 PM Quick question...
Inquisitor Offline

Loc: Dunedin, New Zealand
I have a question I am curious about;
To every specific individual, what are your views on people acting in such a way that contrasts your beliefs, while still staying on acceptable grounds in terms of law and relationships?

For example, if someone you didn't know was beating a dog with a baseball bat, or if a close family member was doing something blatantly illegal, etc.

There are certain occasions where you can walk up and tell them to stop, and "if they do not stop, destroy them!", but in some instances that isn't exactly a feasible option. How do you deal with these issues in a social context?

#145725 - 02/16/06 12:41 AM Re: Quick question... [Re: Inquisitor]
StabAvery Offline

CoS Member

Loc: michigan
People will do what people do. If they cross your path then you have the right to act. the question seems kind of vague but I guess you just address every situation with personal gain and personal interest as your goal. Do what is best for you because no one else will.

#145726 - 02/16/06 01:04 AM Re: Quick question... [Re: Inquisitor]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.
"For example, if someone you didn't know was beating a dog with a baseball bat, or if a close family member was doing something blatantly illegal, etc."

Normally, I don't care what other people do. I did feel obligated once,
when I saw a man was beating his young son on the boardwalk in
Santa Cruz, CA. I went over to him while he was pounding the shit
out of the young boy and in my 6'7", 225 pound imposing loud
voice way, I boomed: "Hey! Why don't you pick on someone
your own size?"

He called me a "fucking hippy" and told me not to tell him how to
raise his kids.

Other than that, I mind my own business.

#145727 - 02/16/06 01:17 AM Re: Quick question... [Re: Inquisitor]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Depends on the situation.

If some innocent party---like a child or animal---is getting hurt, I'll try to intervene, or find a third party who will intervene.

Or, I may choose to clean up the mess made quietly, without having to involve anyone. I find that a lot of people ignore correction anyway, so if they've caused a problem or made a mess, it's sometimes better to just fix things yourself, without indignantly stomping up and trying to teach a pig to sing.

Otherwise, though, I tend to err on the side of minding my own beeswax. Dragondancer is absolutely right about how vital it is to have a "dog in the fight," and how stepping in at the wrong places can get you into trouble.

Edited by TrojZyr (02/16/06 11:04 AM)

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#145728 - 02/16/06 08:22 AM Re: Quick question... [Re: Inquisitor]
dragondancer Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Virginia
Why should I care what someone else is doing, unless I have a "dog in the fight". I stay the hell out of other people's business. Noone is going to pin a badge on your shirt for getting involved, believe me. Most of the time people resent you, and even the victim of said problem may turn on you. Though I would agree with others, if it is a child or animal being hurt, then do what you can safely.

The more you get involved in other people's business, the more you complicate your own life. Unless, of course, you enjoy that sort of thing.

Hail Satan!
"It does take an exceptional mind and a still more exceptional integrity to remain untouched by the brain-destroying influences of the world's doctrines, the accumulated evil of the centuries-to remain human, since the human is the rational." Dr. Akston in Atlas Shrugged

"Not life, but good life, is to be chiefly valued." Socrates

Dragondancer
Temple of Vampire

#145729 - 02/16/06 10:30 AM Re: Quick question... [Re: Inquisitor]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: New England, USA
>>For example, if someone you didn't know was beating a dog
>>with a baseball bat, or if a close family member was
>>doing something blatantly illegal, etc.

As the Satanic Bible states, "Each person must decide for himself what his obligations are to his respective friends, family, and community." In most cases I'd just anonymously call the police, as they're the ones who my taxes pay to handle crime. That falls in line with my decided "obligations to my community".

Though of course it depends on the crime too. Renting a VHS movie and dubbing your own copy is outright illegal, as is parking in front of fire hydrant, but I don't see the point in calling the cops on Uncle Joe for doing this.

>>There are certain occasions where you can walk up and
>>tell them to stop, and "if they do not stop, destroy
>>them!",

Re-read the actual first sentence of that particular rule.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's ▄bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#145730 - 02/16/06 10:38 AM Re: Quick question... [Re: Inquisitor]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
I have principles, however, those principles revolve around my own personal safety.

I don't need to be a martyr. If there's something I can do - safely and legally - then I will do it.

If I'm witness to events of such a nature as you described, then I'm going to call the police - it's their job, not mine.

If any action on your part is going to cause you needless headaches, I'd say it's best to leave well enough alone.

#145731 - 02/16/06 11:58 AM Re: Quick question... [Re: Inquisitor]
crackergirl Offline

Loc: Kansas
I have several friends that sometimes ask me if I want to "smoke up" with them, and I'm a real partyer, so it makes sense that a lot of them would assume I smoke weed. I don't, though, so I just say, "I'm an advocate, not a user." I think it should be their personal choice to kill their brain cells if they want to. It's not my way, but I couldn't care less if they're screwing themselves over. I've got my shit straight, and that's all that matters to me. I make sure they know I don't want that shit in my car and they can't ride with me if they have it on them. I've seen COPS. As soon as a guy gets busted with anything, the first thing that comes out of his mouth is, "It's not mine." If it's in my car, and the guy denies it's his, then it must be mine. So, in that sense, I'm fucked. The friends I have that smoke, I make sure they don't ride in my car. If they do, I SERIOUSLY, NO FUCKING KIDDING, check their damn pockets like the heat before they get in. I don't fuck around. I had to pat down my buddy the Grasshopper the other day for this. For real.
When it comes to people you actually care about, I'd say you let them know as gently as possible that you don't approve. They'll know what the rules are when they're around you, and you'll know what the deal is when you're in their house (I don't hang out at the Grasshopper's place. I hang at the bar with him because I still enjoy his company even though I don't enjoy his drug habit).
When it comes to witnessing people you don't know and don't care about doing stupid shit, DON'T CONFRONT THEM. Have our boys in blue do it for you. That way, they'll get what they deserve for being assholes, but you won't be treated like a dick for lining them out.

#145732 - 02/16/06 12:25 PM Re: Quick question... [Re: crackergirl]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Unless you live in California and have a Medical Marijuana Card, a
prescription and a valid medical reason, that stuff is illegal in the
United States. Knowing that someone is breaking a law make
you an accessory to their crime.

Is that really the kind of company you want to keep?

#145733 - 02/16/06 12:36 PM Re: Quick question... [Re: crackergirl]
Witch_Scarlet Offline

CoS Witch

Loc: Texas
I have a brother who is a drug addict and a dealer, and I have not spoken to him in 18 years. I warned him a long time ago that I would not tolerate such activities and when he did not stop I cut off all contact with him, and on a quiet note made sure that a police friend of mine knew what he was up to, my brother did two years in the state pen. I do not treat such things lightly, especially for family and I do not allow anyone near me who has this nasty habit. Why would you want anyone around you who are killing their mind and body with such filth? It will only rub off on you sooner or later.

If I see someone beating an animal with a baseball bat I am not likely to stand by and watch, I adore animals and I would never let one suffer needlessly if it is within my power to stop it. People on the other handů that is a different story.

#145734 - 02/16/06 01:22 PM Re: Quick question... [Re: RandomStranger]
Tyrson Offline

Loc: Canada
I'm sure most know that the only reason that marijuana was made illegal was so that Dupont Oil could sell nylon rope to the U.S. Navy, so they put forth the story of the "evil black man" corrupting their "inoccent" white daughters, buy luring them out to the hemp fields.
Aside from that, I believe that a great number of things are used as excuses for doing or not doing something, whereby a person gives something power over themselves. ie "I can't ______ without smoking,drinking,snorting,watching,listening to.."
Or the the otherside of it "I have to..."
The only things one has to do is breath and deficate everything else is voluntary.
I believe "Everything in moderation and Life to excess"
Hail
"When you finally understand the universe, it will not only be stranger than you imagine, it will be stranger than you can imagine." Arthur C. Clarke "Do What Thou Wilt Shall Be The Whole Of The Law" Aleister Crowley

#145735 - 02/16/06 01:27 PM Re: Quick question... [Re: Tyrson]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Who gives a crap about why?

The fact remains that it is illegal.

End of discussion.

#145736 - 02/16/06 01:33 PM Re: Quick question... [Re: RandomStranger]
Tyrson Offline

Loc: Canada
Quote:

Who gives a crap about why?

The fact remains that it is illegal.

End of discussion.

Too true I digressed, point taken

Hail
"When you finally understand the universe, it will not only be stranger than you imagine, it will be stranger than you can imagine." Arthur C. Clarke "Do What Thou Wilt Shall Be The Whole Of The Law" Aleister Crowley

#145737 - 02/16/06 01:46 PM Re: Quick question... [Re: RandomStranger]
DataLore Offline

Loc: Holodeck 3
One must give a crap and question why something is illegal. Blindly following orders and regulations without given reason leads to herd mentality.

Here's one: Why is it illegal not to have auto insurance?

#145738 - 02/16/06 01:55 PM Re: Quick question... [Re: DataLore]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
Quote:

Blindly following orders and regulations without given reason leads to herd mentality.

But there's something you're overlooking.

You can disagree with the law, question the law, complain about the law and petition against the law - but in the end, you still have to follow the law.

There's a distinction to be made. That distinction is between choice. In matters of law, we have no choice.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Forum Stats
12253 Members
73 Forums
44031 Topics
406349 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements