Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#145739 - 02/16/06 02:04 PM Re: Quick question... [Re: DataLore]
Witch_Scarlet Offline

CoS Witch

Loc: Texas
Why is it illegal not to have auto insurance?

Because I drive a very expensive car and if you hit me I am going to take it out of your hide one way or another! Insurance might save you from me.

#145740 - 02/16/06 02:38 PM Re: Quick question... [Re: Witch_Scarlet]
DataLore Offline

Loc: Holodeck 3
I am willing to take that risk, as I would pay for my irresponsibility after it happened not before and "in case" it would happen. I trust my driving ability enough to know that I would not hit your car Miss Scarlet. Responsibility to those who deserve it; I and other responsible drivers don't deserve to pay for an accident that has not happened, just because statistically an accident could happen.
Obligation to pay for the irresponsible actions of others is not a virtue I hold dear.
Many choose to take risks in life, without risk the reward is little.
One doesn't have to abide by the law(of the common people, if I may add) it is one's choice to take that risk of not following the law, and suffer the consequences for the failure of their actions.

Paying the church a tithe is also a form of insurance. Think about that for a minute...

#145741 - 02/16/06 02:41 PM Re: Quick question... [Re: Poetaster]
DataLore Offline

One does have choice to break the law, it just must be done wisely to get away with it.

#145742 - 02/16/06 03:04 PM Re: Quick question... [Re: DataLore]
Witch_Scarlet Offline

CoS Witch

Loc: Texas
I will not be drawn into an argument on the subject with you, but… we all know that there are far more irresponsible drivers on the roads then responsible ones, and I have had my favorite car totaled by a drunk driver who had no insurance, my car was my baby and she was priceless, literally! I have insurance for me, not for some bloody jack off who hasn’t the sense not to get behind the wheel of a car. End of argument for me.

#145743 - 02/16/06 03:06 PM Re: Quick question... [Re: DataLore]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.
If you don't know the difference between having auto insurance and
drugs, I sure hope you aren't driving.

Your arguement is absurd.

#145744 - 02/16/06 03:15 PM Re: Quick question... [Re: DataLore]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
Quote:

One does have choice to break the law, it just must be done wisely to get away with it.

I suppose you have a point.

I've just never tried to rationalize breaking the law.

The law is the law - not getting caught if you break it, still doesn't change the fact that you broke it.

It's about character, I like to think I have some.
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a person’s faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#145745 - 02/16/06 03:59 PM Re: Quick question... [Re: Inquisitor]
Lust Offline

"Hail Satan!"
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#145746 - 02/16/06 04:01 PM Re: Quick question... [Re: Witch_Scarlet]
crackergirl Offline

Loc: Kansas
Outside of school and outside of the bar, I really don't associate with this dude. He's just a bar friend. Not a real friend. I don't take him to rock concerts (like I do with some of my cop friends who like metal), and I don't let him into my house. Part time friend, man. That's all he is. I don't take him seriously. No one does. The cops around here know I'm a good kid, and I was raised by a good mama, so I'm not worried about that stuff "rubbing off" on me. It won't. I'm too smart to smoke with him. I've told him already that I don't do drugs, and he didn't ask me again.

All the friends I have that are druggies are the same way. They're just some stoners I know. I'm really using the term "friend" loosely with these guys. They're just some dudes that happen to frequent the same night spots. That's all.

If you're worried about Grasshopper man getting away with anything, don't. The police are planning a little spring break bash for him. They're going to bust him after the drug run to Cali he's got planned for next month so they can really fuck him on the charges. I might have let a little info on that slip out during dinner the other night with one of my boys in blue. I'm kind of evil like that.

#145747 - 02/16/06 04:08 PM Re: Quick question... [Re: Inquisitor]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
If it is illegal, I will inform the authorities. If there is risk of injury or death to the innocent, I will take action. There are far too many morons to just let the crap slide.

One time while I was working at an event, a drunk kid ran across the street and started to beat on an elder gentleman for no reason. So I ran over with a few others and we forcefully detained the man while the police arrived. It is blatant disregard for the safety of others that aggravates me the most.

I get paid to tell people what they can and can't do. So, yes. There are a lot of times that I must confront others on their behavior. You actually start to get a gut feeling for when people are going to do something stupid.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#145748 - 02/16/06 04:12 PM Re: Quick question... [Re: DataLore]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
>>One does have choice to break the law, it just must be done wisely to get away with it.

That is moronic. That is the kind of thing I would write a ticket for.

"But sir? There is no traffic and I saw someone else doing it. Can't you cut me a break?"

My answer, NOPE!

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#145749 - 02/16/06 05:27 PM Re: Quick question... [Re: Witch_Scarlet]
DataLore Offline

Agreed. Full coverage is essential if one chooses to protect their assets from other's irresponsibility.

#145750 - 02/16/06 06:37 PM Re: Quick question... [Re: RandomStranger]
DataLore Offline

Quote:

If you don't know the difference between having auto insurance and
drugs, I sure hope you aren't driving.

Your arguement is absurd.

I never stated that I was without insurance.
But, I have questioned what the reasons for both of these laws.

There is a big difference. Drug enforcement restricts the possession of such, liability laws require the possession such.
Being required by law to pay for liability insurance when one is not proven liable/irresponsible the law is unnecessary. Being forced by law to buy the "product" of a business makes one think of the term "free enterprise". Prepaying the penalties of ones own actions which have not occurred and will not occur is absurd.

One harms nothing but business profits(other’s gains) by not purchasing insurance.

Soon we will be required to purchase psychological damage and racial/discriminative slur liability insurance incase we hurt somebody's feelings.

#145751 - 02/16/06 06:50 PM Re: Quick question... [Re: Discipline]
DataLore Offline

My mistake, I should have included: When breaking the law harms nobody including yourself,and as long as you are wise enough to get away with it, one has the choice to break the law. In such a case wouldn't one agree that the law is harmful? The choice is even more clear to break the writen law in order to preserve one's self.

Also if one got away with it you would not be writing a ticket.

#145752 - 02/16/06 06:56 PM Re: Quick question... [Re: DataLore]
Obolisk Offline

We require insurance because it puts the expense of the activity on the shoulders of those who engage in said activity. Accidents happen, no matter how good or how careful you are. Without the insurance requirement it would externalize the costs inequitably, increase litigation, increase gov't costs, and increase social burdens. With the insurance requirement the only way anyone gets screwed is if everyone involved was without insurance, which is seldom.

#145753 - 02/16/06 07:27 PM Re: Quick question... [Re: Obolisk]
DataLore Offline

Quote:

Accidents happen, no matter how good or how careful you are.

I only agree with this if it is nature which causes the accident. The drivers involved in the accident would not be liable then.
Quote:

Without the insurance requirement it would externalize the costs inequitably, increase litigation, increase gov't costs, and increase social burdens. With the insurance requirement the only way anyone gets screwed is if everyone involved was without insurance, which is seldom.

Not if one is required by law to purchase insurance after they are a liability. My point which I have been trying to stress.

Actually I think we would all be better off with the system of "pre-cognition" set up as in the movie Minority Report
Even the mode of transportation in the movie seems like a logical solution to the problem.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Forum Stats
12199 Members
73 Forums
43982 Topics
406058 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements