Loc: Holodeck 3
*snare, kick, cymbal*

#145770 - 02/17/06 05:24 PM Re: Quick question... [Re: Poetaster]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
>>Could you provide me with an example of a law
>>which goes against self-preservation?

I'm sure each of us can dream up some silly hypothetical situation where surival would depend on breaking the law. But really, what would be the point of posting such things here?

To quote one moderator's post (which used to be thumbtacked though I'm not sure where it is now), 1) the COS does not condone ANY illegal activity, period, 2) there are lots of stupid people out there who think everything on this one public forum is a direct and official representation of all things COS, therefore 3) posting "yeah, but what if..." stories or "it's morally OK to break the law in this case" is a rather bad idea. I'm not an admin, but I suspect this thread is going in that "law debate" direction.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#145771 - 02/17/06 05:27 PM Re: Quick question... [Re: Bill_M]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
Oh, I agree, Mr. Bill.

I only posed that question because I don't think there is such a law - without resorting to the hypothetical.
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a person’s faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#145772 - 02/17/06 07:44 PM Re: Quick question... [Re: DataLore]
Obolisk Offline

Quote:

The soultion would be to take participants out of the activity. A solution which doesn't appear to be in developement for another century.

Agreed!

I am still waiting for the flying robotic self-driving cars too!

#145773 - 02/17/06 08:26 PM Re: Quick question... [Re: DataLore]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

Quote:

My mistake, I should have included: When breaking the law harms nobody including yourself,and as long as you are wise enough to get away with it, one has the choice to break the law. In such a case wouldn't one agree that the law is harmful? The choice is even more clear to break the writen law in order to preserve one's self.

Also if one got away with it you would not be writing a ticket.

If you're going to advocate breaking the law, you might as well go elsewhere.
Prevention of Virtue

#145774 - 02/17/06 09:58 PM Re: Quick question... [Re: DataLore]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
If you have a beef with the law you should move, work to change it, or deal with it. Breaking the law simply because of the attitude of, "It ain't gonna hurt no one." is still a cop-out.

I can deal with minor violations, such as speeding, or copying movies. But most things are in place to protect someone, be it you or others.

You have a problem then do something more productive than just being belligerent.

As for your cute statement at the end. Have you ever gone fishing? You can't catch them all. But you can catch a few, even those who think they are sneaky and smart enough not to be caught.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#145775 - 02/17/06 11:21 PM Re: Quick question... [Re: Poetaster]
uncleherpe Offline

well, a lot of legal stuff has nothing to do with self preservation. Im thinking about financial laws and file sharing type of stuff- but over all its true. The law makes sense and keeps everyone in check. Im glad its there.

#145776 - 02/18/06 07:05 AM Re: Quick question... [Re: Inquisitor]
Alphines Offline

Loc: China
If I am familiar to him I will dissuade him.If I don't know him,I will try to neglect everything unless I cannot endure it. I will take revenge in every way I can think out.But I can be tolerant of many things.Perhaps it's a bad habit.
But if a person I hate is my leader or has great power so that I must depend on him or I can't hurt him.………Be patient,be patient…………-_-

#145777 - 02/18/06 09:17 AM Re: Quick question... [Re: Inquisitor]
d1g1t Offline

Loc: Southwest UK
The consequences of one's actions is the person carrying out the action's responsibility, not yours.

#145778 - 02/18/06 01:00 PM Re: Quick question... [Re: LKRice]
DataLore Offline

Loc: Holodeck 3
I neither support nor deffend any individual breaking the law. I was only stating that people have that choice, and indirectly stating reasons why one would break the law.

I personally dislike criminal activty. Cut-throats and scallywags have no business in our harbors.

But agreed, I will no longer post such misrepresenting statements.
I appologize.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Forum Stats
12218 Members
73 Forums
43998 Topics
406136 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements