Topic Options
#146872 - 02/20/06 10:04 PM Character; not such a bad thing.
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
When I respect someone, I let them know it.

Do I let them know because I'm expecting something? No. I do it because it makes me feel good. I'm a sycophant; a self-aware sycophant.

I don't give my respect away cheaply or trivially. If someone inspires me, motivates me, educates me about something I may have been ignorant too, or is capable of providing me with viewpoints that I may not have considered before; then I respect them unequivocally. Isn't this natural?

A self-aware ego should be capable of this. Respect is the highest form of flattery. Am I suggesting a frivolous ass-kissing contest? Of course not, because then it's not respect.

In the time I've been here on planet Earth, I've met many individuals worthy of my respect and admiration. In fact, I've even idolized a few of them. But how can a Satanist idolize an external force? Yeah, I've heard it before. For anyone asking this question, I only have a few things to say. Are you that insecure about yourself that a hero would impinge upon your sense of identity? And if so, I recommend a long, hard look at who you are as a person.

My time in LttD has been rewarding and exciting. I've met a few people that I can truly say are worthy of my respect. They don't need my praise, they know who they are; even if they don't portray an arrogant expectation of praise. They never reach for admiration, but their actions demand it. These are the elite. And it is to those people I dedicate this article.

Never confuse respect and admiration as worship. Be capable of discerning the difference. All men should be able to entertain a hero, however. If an individual's worth has been proven, then it's not a slight to your individuality to say so. Your integrity has not been marred I assure you.

Be careful, however. It's very easy to cross the line of respect and admiration to one of leeching-nuisance. Don't only let your words show respect, also your works. Actions do sometimes speak louder than words. I admire good writers and those that teach. I idolize those that take the time out of their life to provide me with meaningful insights and wisdom. Because I admire these men and women so much, I make the attempt to write well - not FOR them, but to SHOW them they inspired me. This is the difference between rhetorical respect and actualized respect. In my writings, I try to convey a sense of who I am and what motivates me, in an attempt to possibly teach another who has the capability of understanding what I'm saying. This is my respect for those that teach - by trying to repay the favor.

Sometimes, it's refreshing to just sit back and think about what brought you to the point you are now. Everyone has heros and inspirational memories linked to other people. If you don't, well, I'd say you're some kind of species I've never heard of - certainly not human.

I don't think much more needs to be said. I simply wanted to indulge a desire to say it.

Over and out! Hail Satan!
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a personís faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#146873 - 02/20/06 10:55 PM Re: Character; not such a bad thing. [Re: Poetaster]
mastiva Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

Do I let them know because I'm expecting something? No. I do it because it makes me feel good. I'm a sycophant; a self-aware sycophant.

But then you are; you are expecting favor, yes?

#146874 - 02/21/06 05:36 AM Re: Character; not such a bad thing. [Re: mastiva]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

I suppose I do have a desire that those I respect and admire will like me too.

That's only natural. However, I don't expect favors. A desire to show my respect and admiration for those that are worthy does not necessarily mean that I'm expecting personal favors or favoritism.

If my actions can in turn reciprocate respect from those that I admire, then I'm surely going to be pleased.

However, the initial desire does not extend from a neediness or inferiority complex.

It's a fine line between expectation and mutual regard.
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a personís faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#146875 - 02/21/06 10:45 AM He's talking about me, you know. [Re: Poetaster]
crackergirl Offline

Loc: Kansas
I'm kidding.
I agree with this because inspiration is a gift. If someone inspires you, that doesn't mean you don't have a mind of your own. After all, you've chosen who you want to inspire you. I've chosen people like Tom Araya and Paul Gray to inspire me instead of Cheech and freakin' Chong, you know? A hero is someone that gets respect because he deserves it. He doesn't get respect because he's infiltrating the minds of people and making them bow down to him. You can't force respect. You can force fear, which sometimes looks like respect, but it's not the same thing by any measure.
Choosing a hero, choosing someone to be inspired by is something that everyone needs to do very carefully. Make sure you choose a hero that will inspire you, not someone that will own you.

#146876 - 02/21/06 11:01 AM Re: Character; not such a bad thing. [Re: Poetaster]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
I suppose I do have a desire that those I respect and admire will like me too.

That's only natural. However, I don't expect favors. A desire to show my respect and admiration for those that are worthy does not necessarily mean that I'm expecting personal favors or favoritism.

If my actions can in turn reciprocate respect from those that I admire, then I'm surely going to be pleased.

However, the initial desire does not extend from a neediness or inferiority complex.

It's a fine line between expectation and mutual regard.

Well put!

Only a self-aware, well-adjusted individual can truly come to respect another individual, and even admit it, without feeling threatened or inferior.

I like to encourage and compliment admirable people too, when I think they are respectable, amazing, or talented in some way. Like you, I don't expect a favor per se, although I do hope that my compliment will be returned, appreciated, or reciprocated in some way---a cheerful, genuine "Thank you!" will certainly suffice. (The people who respond to a compliment by haughtily sneering or preening--a la "How nice that you pedestrians noticed that I'm wonderful" or "Ha, don't you wish you could be this cool"---lose points with me.) I guess I just believe in giving credit where it's due, especially since many very talented people do not fully realize how talented they really are, or how appreciated their talent is, and many creative types can be quite sensitive and self-critical. (I believe it was either Thoreau or Emerson who noted that the problem with the world is that the stupid are cocksure, and the talented are full of doubt.)

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#146877 - 02/21/06 03:33 PM Re: Character; not such a bad thing. [Re: TrojZyr]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

Well put!

Thank you!

Quote:

Only a self-aware, well-adjusted individual can truly come to respect another individual, and even admit it, without feeling threatened or inferior.

Exactly! This is the message I was trying to convey. It pleases me that you approve and agree, Miss. TrojZyr.

- Sam Harris

#146878 - 02/21/06 03:40 PM Re: He's talking about me, you know. [Re: crackergirl]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

Choosing a hero, choosing someone to be inspired by is something that everyone needs to do very carefully. Make sure you choose a hero that will inspire you, not someone that will own you.

A man who I respect once wrote "choose your heros wisely."

It would seem that you know this and do not shimmey around the idea.

It's an offensive idea to some people and that is fine. I just think it's a sad state of affairs when a person becomes that critical about every single aspect of life.

Hail Satan! Hail our hero's!!

- Sam Harris

#146879 - 02/21/06 03:41 PM Re: Character; not such a bad thing. [Re: Poetaster]
Witch_Scarlet Offline

CoS Witch

Loc: Texas
Nicely put. I happen to agree with you on this matter. I am never worried about admitting it when I respect someone. It takes a great deal to receive my respect, more then most people are capable of, it is not something I hand out like candy as so many people seem to do.

Forum Stats
12024 Members
73 Forums
43832 Topics
405256 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements