Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#147364 - 02/23/06 06:24 PM Re: Words. [Re: TrojZyr]
Bogey_Man Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Lost.
True.

There is a time and place for every word. Cursing alone does not automatically deduct a few I.Q. points. A dumbass with a vocabulary is still a dumbass.

Yes, sometimes, there are no other words appropriate enough than curse words. Dammit.

#147365 - 02/23/06 07:10 PM Re: Words. [Re: Bogey_Man]
uncleherpe Offline

Im not really interested in how others percieve me unless Im doing something important, like a job interview. Otherwise, who really gives a fuck? The content of a thought is much more valuable than the presentation.

#147366 - 02/23/06 07:42 PM Re: Words. [Re: uncleherpe]
Bogey_Man Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Lost.
Like I said, there's a time and a place for everything. My stance, however, is to always stay presentable (or at least prepared) in public.

And I'm not saying everyone should be in suits when they go out. That would be stupid. But at least know that people are watching who may be able to give you some service along your way. In other words, don't act like a moron out in public.

Big Brother is watching!

#147367 - 02/23/06 07:48 PM Re: Words. [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
DataLore Offline

Loc: Holodeck 3
Quote:

Natcherly, bein' a staunch believer in a spot o' educashon fo' de young black kids, I is bin' hollerin' fo' dese teachers an' assorted misso'naries to be teachin' wot genrally called in Engaland de Queen's English.

Lotta damn vulgar language gittin' spoke all aroun' de worl' an' gittin' passed off as de normal figure of de speech, an' too many o' dese politikally correc' pussons pokin' in de conk into educashional affairs.

Some o' dese fuckers betta be watchin de necks, otherwise de heads gonna be gittin' separated fro' de shoulders.

Poddun me sah, djew kiss yo' momma wit dat mouf o' yo's?
A niggah bettah tawk righ if he 'spectin to cunduck himsef as a proppuh eggzampuh fo' ahr chillrins. Mommas ah gonna fin' dout
when de chillrin come home an tell they daddeh to "pass dat muthaf---en cone bred" when de' momma ahredy hafta buss up they daddeh fo' his filfy mouf. Mommas dont need no punk-asses wit filfy moufs runnin 'roun hollerin' dat they lookin out fo' ahr chillrins edjacashun when they cain't tawk righ in de firs place.

Momma gonna have her eye on you, sah. An she not afraid tuh dirty up anotha fryin pan on yo punk-ass.

#147368 - 02/23/06 07:51 PM Re: Words. [Re: uncleherpe]
dragondancer Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Virginia
Quote:

The content of a thought is much more valuable than the presentation.

I'm not so sure I would agree with that. If the presentation is too odd or offensive, the recipient of your thought might never get to the thought, they might be distracted by your presentation. Ever wear slightly revealing clothing, or a clown suit, and try to have a professional conversation?
Just a thought.

Hail Satan!
"It does take an exceptional mind and a still more exceptional integrity to remain untouched by the brain-destroying influences of the world's doctrines, the accumulated evil of the centuries-to remain human, since the human is the rational." Dr. Akston in Atlas Shrugged

"Not life, but good life, is to be chiefly valued." Socrates

Dragondancer
Temple of Vampire

#147369 - 02/23/06 08:35 PM Re: Words. [Re: Unknown]
messiahsun Offline

Loc: New York City
From my own obervation, what words are used and those that are not used, is irrelevant. It may vary at times due to circumstances. Words can be used wastefully or with exact craftmanship. The most effective use of words, is the use of those that get your point across.

#147370 - 02/23/06 10:39 PM Re: Words. [Re: dragondancer]
uncleherpe Offline

Quote:

Quote:

The content of a thought is much more valuable than the presentation.

I'm not so sure I would agree with that. If the presentation is too odd or offensive, the recipient of your thought might never get to the thought, they might be distracted by your presentation. Ever wear slightly revealing clothing, or a clown suit, and try to have a professional conversation?
Just a thought.

Hail Satan!

that doesnt really take away from the importance of an idea or message, it takes away from the credibility of the person presenting the idea. As long as people get their point across I am happy.

#147371 - 02/24/06 11:53 AM Re: Words. [Re: dragondancer]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Indeed. Content of thought is indeed the most important thing, but if your presentation is so bad, odd, or off-putting that no one will want to look at your content, then it doesn't matter if you were "right."

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#147372 - 02/24/06 11:53 AM Re: Words. [Re: Unknown]
crackergirl Offline

Loc: Kansas
Quote:

I was in a conversation last night with a girl and she asked me why I am so soft spoken. Why don't I ever swear on a consistent rate. This was my response with a little bit more detail.

Some people don't like those words. Some do. (I'm one that likes them). To each his own.

Quote:

I find those who swear on such a consistent level do not sound very intelligent. They simply sound like street monkeys who seem to have very short vocabularies.

Ooh. Ouch. That was my pride. Unintelligent street monkey, with a (gulp) small vocabulary, huh? You really don't need those words to be mean and vulgar, do you?

A creative juxtaposition of the two forms of language is my favored route.

"The ending of that movie was fucking anticlimactic."

"I need some fucking consumable provisions. I'm goddamn famished."

"This piece of shit is downright unsavory, not to mention fucking desiccated."

Quote:

It doesn't mean that I cancel these words out but it simply means I use them in the proper context and situation. I just can't stand those who use the word "fuck" 5 times in one sentence!

That is a bit excessive. I agree. There's a time and a place for this, and it's called the bar.

Quote:

There are so many words with such powerful descriptive uses that they are an awesome exibit of the human mind and imagination. It would be a waste of Lesser Magic to not utilize them.

True. I like to use those big words too. I like to mix the profanity into the deal too though. Nothing wrong with that. Nothing wrong with not using the "dirty words" either. Like I said, there's a time and a place for all this.

Quote:

If you aren't able to produce words from the english language then I suggest you pick up the dictionary and begin reading!

I actually used to do that when I was a kid. I used to read the dictionary word for word. I'd write down the words I really liked, and I'd remember them. I still have a list of words (they're computerized now for easy access) that I like. I'm kind of a jargon geek.

Quote:

The english dictionary houses thousands of words and is one of my personal favorite books. I would much rather sound like a well spoken individual than a moronic idiot in highschool.

I like to combine the two. Well-spoken individual + moronic idiot in highschool = Well spoken moronic idiot in college. Sounds like me.

#147373 - 02/24/06 12:07 PM Re: Words. [Re: Unknown]
Maya Offline
CoS Member

Loc: New England
Disgracefully bad use of language is one of the several reasons that I found school (particularly high school) so unbearable and consequently dropped out. Listening to an average specimen of a classmate for more than five seconds made we want to reach out and crush their larynx.

Quote:

Im not really interested in how others percieve me unless Im doing something important, like a job interview. Otherwise, who really gives a fuck? The content of a thought is much more valuable than the presentation.

I have to agree with dragondancer and TrojZyr on this point. No one is going to want to open a box that is clearly marked "DOG SHIT".

#147374 - 02/24/06 01:12 PM Re: Words. [Re: Maya]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

More like, people aren't going to open a box of gold that has dog shit smeared all over it.

I mean, yeah, sometimes you will do the best you can to be presentable, and people still won't appreciate or get your ideas. Sometimes, people are just stupid and lazy, no matter what lesser magic techniques you think to try. Drives me nuts, but there you go.

There's one person on another posting board I go to who ALWAYS drools, "What?" (followed by a confused emoticon) in response to practically every board in-joke or every post that isn't just one sentence long. That person is stupid. There's no need to pander to that person, because the good posters there have done everything they can to write clear, eloquent posts, so the ball is totally in the idiot's court.

But, if you actually want your ideas to be received, you can't expect that people *should* just naturally see the inner brilliance of your point, even if your point is buried underneath a lot of slang, bad language, weird jargon, unnecessary 50 cent words, bad grammar, confusing format, etc. People *should* do a lot of things that they don't do in the end.

If you really, truly don't want to have to change anything, and if compromise is non-negotiable, then you have to face the fact that maybe your audience will be small. There's always some kind of trade-off.

#147375 - 02/24/06 08:09 PM Re: Words. [Re: TrojZyr]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Incidentally, I've found that what pisses me off the most is the overuse of the word "like," and when people end every sentence with an up-tone, as if it's a question. So I went to her house? And we had popcorn? And we watched a movie?

Likewise, when someone's tone doesn't change or alternate enough, it can get on my nerves, but making every sentence sound like a question is one of the worst sins.

#147376 - 02/24/06 09:43 PM Re: Words. [Re: TrojZyr]
Satanya Offline
Banned

You mean like, when you go to the rest-room and stuff? and like, everyone just like, can´t let you go? without like, stopping you half the way? to like, ask questions?

If you think it is bad in the US: you would not like Scotland very much, Ms. Troj. -- except for the "like".. you´d be safe enough from those in Scotland.

#147377 - 02/24/06 10:11 PM Re: Words. [Re: Satanya]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

I don't mind the British-style questioning tone, "Lovely weather we're having?," incidentally. I'm talking about the teenagery self-doubt wavery tone that is unfortunately not limited to teens.

Oh, in that case, I'd probably kill someone in Scotland. When I really mean to go to the restroom, I want people to back off and let me go. Or I shall piss on someone's foot.

#147378 - 02/24/06 10:35 PM Re: Words. [Re: TrojZyr]
Satanya Offline
Banned

British speaking tones can be compartmentalized.

The English don´t emphasize sentences with tones out of context.

The Irish & the Welsh hardly communicate without exclamative tones.

The Scottish will inquire, where no questions lie -- resembling the tones of the Great Unwashed of today´s America.

You may go to the rest-room now, lady... I´d hate to be pissed on; not my heels.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Forum Stats
12018 Members
73 Forums
43828 Topics
405224 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements