Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#147482 - 02/24/06 12:19 PM Re: Self Defence For Women And Children [Re: uncleherpe]
tovasshi Offline

Loc: Banana, Canada
I carry a knife in my pocket and always keep my hand in that pocket. I do this because I ride the bus. We all know what kind of people ride the bus. I have met many of these people. Luckily I got away with just shoveing past them.

#147483 - 02/24/06 01:04 PM Re: Self Defence For Women And Children [Re: DeLamar_J]
Maya Offline
CoS Member

Loc: New England
This article seems to have a few inaccuracies, but it is mostly true. Unfortunately, it puts too much emphasis on altercations with strangers. As it has been noticed, most rapes and assaults are not perpetrated by strangers.

I was surprised that two important points of bodily weakness were left out. Those two points are the groin and the nose. The groin is rather obvious, but most people do not realize that the nose is a weak spot as well. It is a relatively fragile structure and is extremely painful when broken.
The mind is its own place, and in itself
Can make a heaven of hell, or a hell of heaven." - Paradise Lost, lines 251-255 of Book I

Wading in the cyberspace cesspool (MySpace page)

#147484 - 02/24/06 01:15 PM Re: Self Defence For Women And Children [Re: Maya]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Correct on all counts.

I'd like to see more articles on how to "read" and deal with dangerous acquaintances.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#147485 - 02/24/06 02:01 PM Re: Self Defence For Women And Children [Re: DarkApollyon]
mattevans Offline

Loc: Japan
It is, of course, a good idea to train in some form of martial art. It does teach you how to punch hard and fast and how to avoid being hit. However most martial arts that I have encountered are taught primarily for sport. The sparring experience is valuable but trying to deal with a genuine attack in the same way would lead to disaster.

I was attacked by two men about a year and a half ago. My taekwon do training helped, mainly in avoiding blows, but it was headbutting one of them in the face, running, and calling the police that enabled me to escape. Not a jumping reverse turning kick!
Martial arts help but you have to remember that with a lot of training there are rules. In a genuine situation there are none.

#147486 - 02/24/06 02:55 PM Re: Self Defence For Women And Children [Re: DeLamar_J]
VKat Offline

Loc: Northern California
I will mention again for the third time posted that assaults and rapes are most likely to occur by someone that you know.

Also what I think is often missed, is how to prepare yourself for when you can not get away. How will you let it affect you as a person? Will you remain a victim and scared for the rest of your life? Put yourself where no one can emotionally hurt you. Prepare for the worst. It was horrible, but not the end of the world for you. I just think that some thought should be put into not blaming yourself, self maintenance. Think about it before it happens, so it may make it a little easier to recover when it does.

The whole mentality that female’s shouldn’t walk in the dark because of potential harm. Yes it is defiantly good to avoid certain situations. However I am not going to let some person ruin living life to the fullest. Yes there are risks, good to understand the risks. Good to mentally prepare yourself for what could happen. However avoiding all situations would be impossible, and I am not up to playing victim.

I also wonder how many rapes of males are never reported.

#147487 - 02/24/06 03:40 PM Re: Self Defence For Women And Children [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
toad Offline

CoS Member

Loc: texas
Quote:

women should never fight fair

I've always been taught that there is no such thing as a fair fight. Whatever it takes.

Toad

I have the power to channel my imagination into ever-soaring levels of suspicion and paranoia.

#147488 - 02/24/06 03:48 PM Re: Self Defence [Re: Nemo]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

When stopping behind another vehicle be certain you can see the bottoms of their back tires. This leaves you sufficient room to maneuver in the event of an attempted car jacking.

Also make sure you're in one of the outside lanes, so you can hop the curb if needed.
Prevention of Virtue

S Magazine 1 & 2
S Magazine 3

#147489 - 02/24/06 03:51 PM Re: Awareness. [Re: Nemo]
Achilles Offline

Quote:

Most people live in a state of trance. They drive cars in a trance. They walk across streets in a trance.

I have actually always noticed this when watching people. Nice job pointing that out Magister.

#147490 - 02/24/06 07:36 PM Re: Self Defence For Women And Children [Re: VKat]
IX Von ZehEhv Offline

CoS Warlock

You have raised some very important points!

Quote:

Also what I think is often missed, is how to prepare yourself for when you can not get away. How will you let it affect you as a person? Will you remain a victim and scared for the rest of your life?

An old friend of mine was caught out some years ago, she did all she could to get away (even crushing her ankle - requiring pins for a couple years after in the process). She was a very attractive girl previously, who afterwards deliberately allowed herself to become quite obese in the aim of preventing it from happening again. She is still the victim, and chooses to not deal with the issue, even still refusing counselling.

Quote:

However I am not going to let some person ruin living life to the fullest.

Another good point. One should not be scared in that they miss out on life in any manner. A sensible level of precaution is in order, the level of course is up to the individual.

Some time back through work I saw some statistics of successful rape convictions in the state I reside and was shocked by the incredibly low percentage (<30% from memory). There are numerous reasons for this, each which need addressing. Some causes ones being:

1. Rapes not being reported

2. Victims showering before presenting to police or a hospital
Understandable need, but education (which is severely lacking) could help here.

3. GPs incorrectly collecting and handling evidence. Again, education regarding procedure should be made more available.

Because rape can be a very taboo topic, it is generally only discussed after the fact. Some general education in rape prevention would go a long way.

#147491 - 02/24/06 07:49 PM Re: Self Defence For Women And Children [Re: IX Von ZehEhv]
DeLamar_J Offline

Loc: Ohio
Women are weaker than men physically, but mentally they have the advantage. Most men thing with the wrong head, and this can be capitalized on. Most men will underestimate a woman, which also can be capitialized on. A woman must be taught to take full advantage of these things, and they will be victorious. One weakness is all it takes to defeat an opponent if you are trained to recognize and capitalize. I have always felt that the more beautiful the woman, the more dangerous she is, providing she knows how to use it.
An insincere and evil friend is more to be feared than a wild beast; a wild beast may wound your body, but an evil friend will wound your mind. My personal web page---> http://www.myspace.com/39440105

#147492 - 02/24/06 08:00 PM Re: Self Defence For Women And Children [Re: DeLamar_J]
IX Von ZehEhv Offline

CoS Warlock

Very true. Most men will underestimate a woman. Women therefore can make use of this, and should. Again, this comes back to education being made available.

#147493 - 02/24/06 09:49 PM Re: Awareness. [Re: Achilles]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
The same thing was pointed out to me by many teachers of self defense.

Your reaction time goes into the gutter if you are daydreaming when someone attacks you.

#147494 - 02/24/06 09:51 PM Re: Self Defence For Women And Children [Re: VKat]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Quote:

I also wonder how many rapes of males are never reported.

I have one word to answer this question: prison.

#147495 - 02/24/06 09:53 PM Re: More info on reading dangerous situations. [Re: TrojZyr]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

I would suggest joining the members' SIG on this topic.

#147496 - 02/24/06 09:56 PM Re: Women and firearms [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

For an interesting historical item note that whenever women were enabled to first carry handguns was also when they first generally gained the right to vote.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Forum Stats
11890 Members
73 Forums
43636 Topics
404143 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements